Notices
Panamera 2010-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Buying used 4 e-hybrid - what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 03:37 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 322 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by sac02
Truce?

Technical catfights - OK

Personal catfights - NG
I completely agree. What happened that we cannot describe a situation (& data) and have a counter situation (&. data) described without it becoming personal and a cat fight?

BTW, this forum is saintly compared to Taycan. One word against Taycan and my dog is ugly too.

Last edited by Dr. G7; 03-24-2022 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-24-2022, 04:06 PM
trongngo97
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I think this thread has tremendously helped those looking to buy a Panamera Hybrid.

If the battery replacement cost irks you, go research other comparable (non-Prius) Hybrids (there aren't many), of which the HV battery will most definitely cost more at a dealership than at an Indy/covered by warranty.

Like any other battery-operated device/machine, the battery will get replaced sooner or later. When you're eventually hit with a bill, it's also good practice to get a second opinion.

If you're going to buy one, you're now well informed to buy a CPO or an extended warranty when necessary, or budget in the cost for a replacement at an Indy. Be financially informed, which is true for all transactions you'll ever make.
The following users liked this post:
Dr. G7 (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 04:18 PM
sac02
Pro

Received 205 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
One word against Taycan and my dog is ugly too.
Oof. That sounds eerily similar to the Telsa crowd who make their car and their Elon-worship a core part of their identity.
The following 2 users liked this post by sac02:
Dr. G7 (03-24-2022), gougoul (03-25-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 05:23 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sac02
Oof. That sounds eerily similar to the Telsa crowd who make their car and their Elon-worship a core part of their identity.

very true. “term 'fanboy' is often deemed unreasonable, arrogant, or overly loyal to their chosen token of affection.”
Old 03-24-2022, 05:27 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
very true. “term 'fanboy' is often deemed unreasonable, arrogant, or overly loyal to their chosen token of affection.”
You can appreciate how I felt when I was subjected to name calling in this thread, including being called a Porsche fanboy! As @sac02 indicated, it’s not good to get personal and nasty. We can share our points of view, challenge others, and even be passionate about our opinions, but best not to get personal and stoop to name calling and the like.

Old 03-24-2022, 05:43 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SS22
You can appreciate how I felt when I was subjected to name calling in this thread, including being called a Porsche fanboy! As @sac02 indicated, it’s not good to get personal and nasty. We can share our points of view, challenge others, and even be passionate about our opinions, but best not to get personal and stoop to name calling and the like.
Absolutely true. I gave a factual report on lemons and was blasted. Troll etc etc.

All of us are passionate about our Porsches. But where there’s faults, we need to address those too. When we become “true believers” and drink the Kool aid, that’s a slippery slope.
Old 03-25-2022, 05:51 AM
gougoul
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

First sorry If I made it appear personal but the ranting/counter ranting sounded offensive and personal enough already. (Ah the offense, yet another american irony in land of free speech).

But anyway, the fact someone moans specifically about the battery doesn't mean he won't moan about the cost other items. Oil change etc, I somehow understand the difference, indy workshops usually don't look as cool as a Porsche workshop, you won't get a decent coffee or whatever, Whether it's worth the cost or not is a different story altogether. Same for tire servicing. At indy shops if they damage the CC brakes it might be harder to get them pay for it (might !). As a rule of thumb I hate overpaying stuff that you can compare 1-1. And the battery goes into this, servicing doesn't, Porsche specific spares don't etc. It's why I usually hate staying at hotels offering corporate rates as you'll have to rub elbows some cheapos playing the big shot at places he'll never stay otherwise (notwithstanding the fact that he could pay for it).
And the fact he rants about the battery doesn't mean he won't rant about the other items
And for the 971 I haven't seen yet a battery for USD 5k, have you ?

Old 03-25-2022, 08:02 AM
Manoverpdk
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 75 Posts

Curious how this translates to the Taycan in 6 yrs!
Old 03-25-2022, 08:53 AM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by amphicar770
I've long said that the Germans are brilliant mechanical engineers, not so much when it come to electrical engineering.
Another criterion to consider. Whatever the warranty, if the Porsche dealership is not within reasonable distance, count two days lost work drop off at the dealership and collect from dealership. Might not apply to most top
10 percentile income Porsche owners, but some of us are not in or near that category.
If the local indy can’t do the work (i.e. warranty) then one can count two days lost work.
Old 03-25-2022, 10:09 AM
gougoul
Advanced

As for the Taycan Porsche has a pretty bizarre warranty policy. (Voided if you don't keep it loaded for 2 weeks etc) Maybe other MFRs do the same, no clue. So far, nothing is there to give me any confidence in the electric car Bullsh... It doesn't fix any issue, just removes the feeling of personal responsibility regarding air pollution. So yeah, the state has to come up with a way of producing "clean" electricity, or a "clean" way to recycle the batteries.

I know of no Li-ion-powered device where the battery isn't the weak link (even if you go crazy cheap chinese), and looking at the remaining battery capacity for 2-3 years old cars, they won't fare much better.
Old 03-25-2022, 10:29 AM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gougoul
As for the Taycan Porsche has a pretty bizarre warranty policy. (Voided if you don't keep it loaded for 2 weeks etc) Maybe other MFRs do the same, no clue. So far, nothing is there to give me any confidence in the electric car Bullsh... It doesn't fix any issue, just removes the feeling of personal responsibility regarding air pollution. So yeah, the state has to come up with a way of producing "clean" electricity, or a "clean" way to recycle the batteries.

I know of no Li-ion-powered device where the battery isn't the weak link (even if you go crazy cheap chinese), and looking at the remaining battery capacity for 2-3 years old cars, they won't fare much better.
Agree 100%. Please don’t post on Taycan forums or you will be bombarded with “troll, waste of space, complainer. grouch. whiner, “ etc. That’s what happened to me. I gave a statical report of Taycan lemons and the fanboiys were hornet’s nest rousted. They’ve done the Kool aid.
Old 03-25-2022, 10:41 AM
gougoul
Advanced

Yes it's insane... I had the same kind of "discussion" with a guy on a different car forum, and it ended up with me asking the guy he was working for Porsche in social media marketing or so... he didn't answer...

But the Taycanism is insane, just like tesla drivers etc. are
Old 03-25-2022, 10:41 AM
sac02
Pro

Received 205 Likes on 144 Posts

Can you tell me more about the Taycan's bizarre warranty? (or just link me if someone else has already spelled it all out)
Old 03-25-2022, 10:45 AM
gougoul
Advanced

Porsche Whistleblower: “60% of all delivered Taycan have battery issues that caused replacements, damages and fires” (teslarati.com)

The website says it all
Old 03-25-2022, 11:25 AM
drgav2005
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

Just purchased a 2019 Panamera e-hybrid Sports Turismo… Chopped in my MY21 Macan Turbo against it. Must say, I’m loving the Panamera!
I’m getting into work and a few miles home on full electric, so I’m currrently averaging around 70 mpg. Love the way it drives (never really did bond with the Macan) and it has a few options that I had really missed on the Macan, namely Matrix headlamps, auto dimming mirrors, and Burmester.

It’s a big beast - only just fits in the garage

The following users liked this post:
MKC91 (03-25-2022)

Quick Reply: Buying used 4 e-hybrid - what to look for?