Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Buying used 4 e-hybrid - what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2022, 11:59 AM
orca15
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 159 Posts

Went away for a couple of weeks and missed all the fireworks

I love my E-Hybrid. If I have to pay $20K to get the batteries changed at 10 years (I have not yet seen an extended warranty that will cover them) I will bitch loudly about Porsche's ridiculous mark up and will desperately search for an alternate solution - which I am almost certain will exist widely by then. If not I will pay it and move on. If you want to buy Porsche tire changes, Porsche leather cleaner, Porsche brake fluid, etc., then by all means, go ahead. I don't see the value. Here's an example:

Porsche Wall charger $1586

Juicebox 40 $599

Am I taking a bigger risk of a large maintenance charge sometime in the future by buying a hybrid? Yes. Same with buying a Porsche. I just wanted both, so I took the risk, while trying to minimize it with extended warranty, DIY, indy tech, etc. etc.

All that said, I repeat, love the Hybrid. Averaging 50mpg, quiet as a mouse even in hybrid mode with the engine at near idle at 80mph. Cool factor. Maybe help the environment a little. New technology to play with. A little extra pep when I hit the gas. IMO- worth the extra risk. But that's sort of obvious, since I bought one eyes wide open. That's the real trick. Know what you are getting into.
Old 03-25-2022, 12:14 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by gougoul
Yes it's insane... I had the same kind of "discussion" with a guy on a different car forum, and it ended up with me asking the guy he was working for Porsche in social media marketing or so... he didn't answer...

But the Taycanism is insane, just like tesla drivers etc. are
I wouldn’t be surprised if Porsche has an army of social media types…ever ready to slam any negative comments.

One Taycanian asked if I work for Tesla. Yeah right. Never read how much I dislike Tesla.

Just now I had an reply “I take umbrage to your post…”

Wow, umbrage to data?

Last edited by Dr. G7; 03-25-2022 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-25-2022, 12:21 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Manoverpdk
Curious how this translates to the Taycan in 6 yrs!
Shudder
Old 03-25-2022, 12:39 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Received 482 Likes on 333 Posts

First sorry If I made it appear personal but the ranting/counter ranting sounded offensive and personal enough already. (Ah the offense, yet another american irony in land of free speech).
Don’t worry about getting personal at me and telling me to go get a safe place LOL. I can be called a fan boy or to go get a safe space or whatever, but I won’t reciprocate by engaging in name calling or personal attacks. Water under the bridge.

And for the 971 I haven't seen yet a battery for USD 5k, have you ?
I have not but why would it matter? 971s are all under the original 8-year hybrid battery warranty. Even the oldest 971 at this point (2017 model year) has hybrid battery warranty until 2025. Again, a practically moot point!

Originally Posted by sac02
Can you tell me more about the Taycan's bizarre warranty? (or just link me if someone else has already spelled it all out)
I would love to see this too!
​​

Originally Posted by drgav2005
Just purchased a 2019 Panamera e-hybrid Sports Turismo… Chopped in my MY21 Macan Turbo against it. Must say, I’m loving the Panamera!
I’m getting into work and a few miles home on full electric, so I’m currrently averaging around 70 mpg. Love the way it drives (never really did bond with the Macan) and it has a few options that I had really missed on the Macan, namely Matrix headlamps, auto dimming mirrors, and Burmester.

It’s a big beast - only just fits in the garage
Congrats! Looks very sharp. Your Porsche decorations in your garage are awesome. Makes me want to spice up my garage which currently has white walls ha!

Originally Posted by orca15
Went away for a couple of weeks and missed all the fireworks

I love my E-Hybrid. If I have to pay $20K to get the batteries changed at 10 years (I have not yet seen an extended warranty that will cover them) I will bitch loudly about Porsche's ridiculous mark up and will desperately search for an alternate solution - which I am almost certain will exist widely by then. If not I will pay it and move on. If you want to buy Porsche tire changes, Porsche leather cleaner, Porsche brake fluid, etc., then by all means, go ahead. I don't see the value. Here's an example:

Porsche Wall charger $1586

Juicebox 40 $599

Am I taking a bigger risk of a large maintenance charge sometime in the future by buying a hybrid? Yes. Same with buying a Porsche. I just wanted both, so I took the risk, while trying to minimize it with extended warranty, DIY, indy tech, etc. etc.

All that said, I repeat, love the Hybrid. Averaging 50mpg, quiet as a mouse even in hybrid mode with the engine at near idle at 80mph. Cool factor. Maybe help the environment a little. New technology to play with. A little extra pep when I hit the gas. IMO- worth the extra risk. But that's sort of obvious, since I bought one eyes wide open. That's the real trick. Know what you are getting into.
I was wondering where you had been! I’m totally with you. Similar to you, I researched the heck out of the Panamera 4S E-Hybrid. It’s the most I’ve ever spent to buy any car (by far) and plan to keep it for a long time so I made sure to go into it with eyes wide open as you say. So far, I absolutely love it. Especially now that gas is $7+ gallon where I live in SoCal!

The 8-year battery warranty gives me great peace of mind. If I want to keep it beyond 8 years (doubtful), I’d be getting extended warranty anyways (check out my post above #33 with an example of an extended warranty that covers hybrid battery replacement). Even without warranty, there will be plenty of Indy shops doing this for a reasonable cost (they already exist today and in 8 years, are you kidding, replacing a battery will be almost like changing tires!).
Old 03-25-2022, 05:01 PM
amphicar770
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 112 Posts

I would love to see where anyone has found aftermarket battery replacement on the Panamera for $5k. Last II looked it was around $15k with a 1 year warranty. Please do share.

The 1st class airline ticket analogy is notbreally comparable. If I buy a 1st class ticket, I do not later get hit with bag fees, seat fees, change fees, and all the extraneous extra costs which are largely a profit grab.

Of course Porsche relies on suppliers, as does everyone else. That does not absolve them of responsibility when a part goes bad. GM is spending an exorbitant amount of money to replace every Chevy Bolt battery. They are not telling customers to contact LG. They are not saying, "we will sell you a new battery at an insanely inflated price because, you know, superior engineering ".

Forget about the hybrid battery. How about IMS bearings or faulty cooling components. Porsche not only fails to make these design/ component flaws right for owners, they feel entitled to making huge profit on repairing them. Ask your dealer to replace the very ordinary AGM 12 volt battery. That will be $1,000 for a $150 dollar generic battery. This sort of thing hurts ALL Porsche owners, even those who trade in every three years. It kills resale values and residuals because people in the used market rightly think the cost of repairs make a used Porsche something to avoid.

I do believe the Panamera, and many Porsche products are fantastic and warrant the purchase price premium. Like every other brand, there will be problems. What i can not justufy is how when they do have a failure in design or product, rather than owning up to it (IMS bearings) they use it as an opportunity to make a killing off of the owners who trusted them. In those cases you are drinking the kool aid by saying, "everything they do is great and getting screwed is the price you pay for superior German engineering"

There are "good profits", which Porsche makes at time of sale. There are also "bad profits" which Porsche too often takes when they don't own up to their shortcomings in design or components and instead use their mistakes to grab as much money from customers as they possibly can.

On a plus side, for anyone looking at a used e-hybrid, the huge depreciation is your friend. Let's say you pay $40k for a CPO and three years later have to drop $25k on a battery. If you then get another 4+ years without any other major expenses (ex air shocks), it is still a heck of a car for the $65k spent.

The Porsche of old was run by engineers. Today's Porsche is run by bean counters. In the long run, that usually fails.

Last edited by amphicar770; 03-25-2022 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-25-2022, 05:32 PM
orca15
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 159 Posts

Since my first Porsche was a 1974, I can safely say that the strategy I outlined above (avoid dealers at all cost) has not changed significantly in at least 40 years for at least some of us. The engineering, if anything, has gotten better -- but maybe not kept up with the huge increase in numbers of components. The '74 had its quirks (air box burps, chain tensioner, and lifters, IIRC).

I think the thing about Porsche is that we are such a tight knit community that problems like IMS are so well-known, even if they only affect a few, and the price of repair is enormous when it requires OEM parts like an engine. I had an IMS model (2000) which I watched like a hawk, but never had an issue. Still, I absolutely have to agree that (as a minimum) a hefty helping hand in repairing design flaws would certainly polish the brand name a lot. The battery doesn't really fit in this category; no one is getting 15 years out of them and the 8 year warranty seems reasonable. The $25K replacement, though, not so much. I'm not sure who wins driving the depreciation up because of that, bean counters or no.

Worse than the battery, though, is the newly renewed effort to lock indies out of repair. My local guy, who is an absolute Porsche master, isn't even working on 2019+ cars, I hear. That makes my strategy even harder, and for that, I am SURE that bean counters are involved.

[added] I am not "whining" that Porsche maintenance should be cheap. I used to take my first one to "Porsche Only" in Phoenix (looks like they are gone) for annual maintenance and it cost me $300 or so, which was a HECK of a lot more than the $20 it took for my '73 Duster. But the 74 Porsche 911 had 57 gallons of oil, two oil tanks, and the master tech would go through and retorque every bolt on the engine because, well, 6500 RPM all day long. HE adjusted the clutch, etc. etc. THAT'S why Porsche maintenance is, and should be, more expensive. And why I'll pay $120+ an hour for an experienced Indy vs. $80 at the local one each garage. But that's still a huge discount over a dealer.

Last edited by orca15; 03-25-2022 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-25-2022, 06:22 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by amphicar770
I would love to see where anyone has found aftermarket battery replacement on the Panamera for $5k. Last II looked it was around $15k with a 1 year warranty. Please do share.
Ace Hybrid Group = $4,500 with a 1-year warranty for 2011-2013 models. Of course, there are many Indy shops across the country who do this but don’t advertise their prices online.
​​​

Of course Porsche relies on suppliers, as does everyone else. That does not absolve them of responsibility when a part goes bad. GM is spending an exorbitant amount of money to replace every Chevy Bolt battery. They are not telling customers to contact LG. They are not saying, "we will sell you a new battery at an insanely inflated price because, you know, superior engineering ".
Porsche stands behind their products and in the case of hybrid batteries, they stand behind it with an 8 year warranty. You know, the same way they replaced the hybrid battery on your Panamera with a brand new battery a few months before you got it…. I seem to read you writing about that:

Your post from 8/10/21:

One thing I was really happy about when I received the service records. The hybrid battery was replaced under warranty in June. Thus, concerns about a 7-8 year old battery eliminated.

Originally Posted by orca15
Since my first Porsche was a 1974, I can safely say that the strategy I outlined above (avoid dealers at all cost) has not changed significantly in at least 40 years for at least some of us. The engineering, if anything, has gotten better -- but maybe not kept up with the huge increase in numbers of components. The '74 had its quirks (air box burps, chain tensioner, and lifters, IIRC).

Worse than the battery, though, is the newly renewed effort to lock indies out of repair. My local guy, who is an absolute Porsche master, isn't even working on 2019+ cars, I hear. That makes my strategy even harder, and for that, I am SURE that bean counters are involved.

[added] I am not "whining" that Porsche maintenance should be cheap. I used to take my first one to "Porsche Only" in Phoenix (looks like they are gone) for annual maintenance and it cost me $300 or so, which was a HECK of a lot more than the $20 it took for my '73 Duster. But the 74 Porsche 911 had 57 gallons of oil, two oil tanks, and the master tech would go through and retorque every bolt on the engine because, well, 6500 RPM all day long. HE adjusted the clutch, etc. etc. THAT'S why Porsche maintenance is, and should be, more expensive. And why I'll pay $120+ an hour for an experienced Indy vs. $80 at the local one each garage. But that's still a huge discount over a dealer.
Agreed about Porsche engineering. I’ve had BMWs, Mercedes, Jaguar, etc. in the past. The engineering that goes into Porsches is phenomenal. I’m relatively new to Porsche, admittedly, but have always heard that Porsche’s reputation for quality, durability, and reliability is great considering the performance-oriented product you’re getting and better than most luxury brands out there.

On maintenance, I got a pre-paid plan that ends up being a 30-40% discount (I did my research and found out pricing for maintenance at another dealership then compared to the prepaid plan that my dealer was offering me; and keep in mind with inflation, I probably save even more). I may pay a bit more than if I went to an Indy shop, but I think that little bit is worth it to go through Porsche.

Last edited by SS22; 03-25-2022 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-25-2022, 08:32 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
I wouldn’t be surprised if Porsche has an army of social media types…ever ready to slam any negative comments.

One Taycanian asked if I work for Tesla. Yeah right. Never read how much I dislike Tesla.

Just now I had an reply “I take umbrage to your post…”

Wow, umbrage to data?
Apparently Porsche has a huge problem with the Taycan. That explains the social media army bashing anyone complaining about batteries.

Porsche Could Have A Serious Taycan Problem On Its Hands

DEC 7, 2021BY GERHARD HORN ELECTRIC VEHICLES / 18 COMMENTSA whistleblower may have opened a giant can of worms.
Old 03-25-2022, 10:36 PM
amphicar770
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 112 Posts

Really, @s22. Do you work for Porsche? You twist words like a Whitehouse spokesperson.

The 2011-13 battery is a complete different animal. Nimh, not LiIon. But, you probably knew that already.

Yes, Porsche did replace my battery under warranty. Nobly standing behind their product? Nope, they were required to under Federal law. Read the post from the guy whose '14 had 20k miles and was 2 months past warranty. They basically told him, "aww, that's too bad". But yeah, you probably knew that too.

And of course you would dismiss the IMS bearing issue. Anything negative about Porsche must be "fake news"

Yup, really building up that credibility.

Last edited by amphicar770; 03-26-2022 at 01:25 AM.
Old 03-25-2022, 11:00 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Really, @s22. Do you work for Porsche? You twist words like a Whitehouse spokesperson.

The 2011-13 battery is a complete different animal. Nimh, not LiIon. But, you probably knew that already.

Yes, Porsche did replace my battery under warranty. Nobky standing behind their product? Nope, they were required to under Federal law. Read the post from the guy whose '14 had 29k miles and was 2 months past warranty. They basically told him, "aww, that's too bad". But yeah, you probably knew that too.

And of course you would dismiss the IMS bearing issue. Anything negative about Porsche must be "fake news"

Yup, really building up that credibility.
There you go again with the personal attacks and name calling. Trying to bait me but I don’t stoop to that level

Lest I get accused of admission by silence, no, I don’t work for Porsche. Ha!

You challenged my statement that a 970 hybrid battery can be replaced at an Indy for $5k by asking where and I showed you where. 2015+ (and probably most 2014s) 970s are still under warranty so again a moot point anyways. Plus, there are many Indy’s in the country replacing li-ion hybrid batteries, including for Porsche. Feel free to call some and see how much they charge for a 970 hybrid battery replacement. I’m confident it’ll be in the 4 figures.

I’m glad Porsche replaced your hybrid battery during the 8-year warranty (yes per federal requirement) and you’re enjoying a brand new battery.

I did not “dismiss” the IMS bearing “issue.” I didn’t say a word about it one way or another. I don’t know anything about the supposed “IMS bearing issue” and when I don’t know something, I accept my limited knowledge and don’t chime in. I don’t pretend to know everything. It’s been a good life principle for me to live by.

Last edited by SS22; 03-25-2022 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-25-2022, 11:34 PM
trongngo97
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

@amphicar770 Aside from all the other stuff, which brand will replace anything for free after warranty though? If it was a day after the expiration I'm sure any dealer will say tough luck.

Of all the cars I've owned I had kept in touch with the dealer's service advisor or the shop that I bring my cars to, and done all necessary maintenance/repair before the warranties expired. This is with Lexus, Cadillac, Hyundai, Mercedes, and Honda. The SA at Cadillac even suggested me to come in a couple weeks before expiration to check on the car, and voila the engine fan was failing and coolant line was leaking. These problems wouldn't have shown until way past the expiration date.

I think we all can make an effort to have a close relationship with the service department or a shop to prevent such things. Failure to do that is entirely on your own, so yes that's too bad for that guy.

I think everyone going into a battery-operated car should know that battery is a maintenance item, not repair. It will fail. Just like any other premium product, you will pay a premium price on replacements/repairs. It's simple economics, these brands don't make money on volume so they'll have to charge more per item.

There are always bad dealers, but I don't think Porsche the corporate has any ill will. Every brand tries to make the perfect car, and every brand will fail to do that. I have personally heard of lemon Toyotas, and the dealers in all the stories had refused to take the cars back. What got them to do that eventually? Calls to the BBB. I don't mean to relate to anything in this thread, but just throwing this out, because every brand has problems.

The following users liked this post:
SS22 (03-25-2022)
Old 03-26-2022, 10:03 AM
CanuckGT4
Burning Brakes

Received 264 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
Apparently Porsche has a huge problem with the Taycan. That explains the social media army bashing anyone complaining about batteries.

Porsche Could Have A Serious Taycan Problem On Its Hands

DEC 7, 2021BY GERHARD HORN ELECTRIC VEHICLES / 18 COMMENTSA whistleblower may have opened a giant can of worms.

It's Time We All Acknowledged Tesla Has Real Problems

https://carbuzz.com/news/it-s-time-w...-real-problems
Old 03-26-2022, 10:45 AM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CanuckGT4

It's Time We All Acknowledged Tesla Has Real Problems

https://carbuzz.com/news/it-s-time-w...-real-problems
Let’s see what happens in the next few years… oh wait the next few years happened (article written Feb. 2018), and Tesla grew at a mind boggling rate to being a profitable trillion dollar company with demand for its cars going through the roof. “Real problems” have not kept customers away. That article did not age well
Old 03-26-2022, 01:32 PM
Shrike071
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by SS22
Let’s see what happens in the next few years… oh wait the next few years happened (article written Feb. 2018), and Tesla grew at a mind boggling rate to being a profitable trillion dollar company with demand for its cars going through the roof. “Real problems” have not kept customers away. That article did not age well
For a few years, Tesla was really the only kid on the block so some people just ignored the problems and bought anyway because "electric car". Others bought a Tesla because "Tesla" and the image that came with it. Now that they have lots of competition - many with far superior vehicles - we will see how strong Tesla remains. CR only recommends the Model 3 - every other Tesla car gets garbage reliability ratings. Every single time I get near a Tesla in traffic or in the garage, my OCD goes ape**** looking at the panel gaps. And that's just the b.s. you can see.
Old 03-26-2022, 02:09 PM
trongngo97
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

+1 for Tesla being crap. But there are people who enjoy them, don't care about that crap build quality, just want a "cute" tech-laden 4-wheel vehicle. I'm amazed how crazy people can get for useless things on a screen, but here we are.

Nonetheless, Tesla the company is brilliant. The things they get away with is mind-blowing. Funny that the article mentioned "$50,000 deposits for the new 2020 Tesla Roadster." Here I am running out of patience for a car I put a deposit on 3 months ago and my Porsche dealer didn't even bother processing the $5000 deposit.

P.S. here's a random S Plaid delivery video. The guy is all hype getting a brand new car, but skip to around the 3:40 mark to see how Tesla build and deliver their "flagship" vehicle:

Quick Reply: Buying used 4 e-hybrid - what to look for?