Notices
Panamera 2010-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Buying used 4 e-hybrid - what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2022, 10:55 AM
orca15
Pro

Received 241 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by k2s0
Do other warranty providers like Fidelity cover batteries? Feels like if Porsche excludes then other warranty providers will likely do the same, no?
I'd be surprised, plus, what constitutes a "bad" battery? I mean, if you get major faults, of course, but mostly batteries just fade away. Half original range? 1/4th? Consumer nightmare to prove. I'm just going to drive her and keep a couple of fingers crossed that the battery repair market expands...
Old 03-08-2022, 11:16 AM
amphicar770
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

I do not have a Fidelity plan, but did look up their contract.

Coverage on the HV battery is a bit fuzzy. It does not cover normal degradation or loss of capacity. If you get down to 2 miles of range, is that considered normal? In the case of Panamera, I understand that the HV battery will tend to fail catastrophically, leaving vehicle unusable. Perhaps you would be covered in that case?

Would be interesting to hear from those who may have filed claims in the past. Also, if the warranty companies realize the cost is as high as it is on Porsche, i imagine some very hefty premiums.

Yes, there seem to be several aftermarket firms offering HV battery replacement for mainstream brands. I have only seen one which *might* cover Porsche, but that is not totally clear from thwir web site. Battery technology has also improved to where some vehicles can be fitted with higher capacity than original factory unit. Perhaps there will be some viable options in a few years, for the moment you simply have to bend over and take what Porsche gives you in the name of German Engineering!
Old 03-08-2022, 11:34 AM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts

Do other warranty providers like Fidelity cover batteries? Feels like if Porsche excludes then other warranty providers will likely do the same, no?
Absolutely, for example Fidelity has a couple plans that cover hybrid batteries. Their Gold Coverage (linked here) covers the following:

“ADDITIONAL HYBRID/PLUG-IN ELECTRIC/COMPRESSED NATURAL GAS/HYDROGEN COMPONENTSMotor/generator belt tensioner; drive motor dampener; voltage inverter reservoir; three-phase high voltage cables; hydraulic or electric regenerative braking system; hybrid/ EV/hydrogen battery (nickel-metal hydrate or lithium-ion drive propulsion battery) including the case and mounting hardware, junction block, main battery cable, and frame wire; onboard battery charging system including charge controller, plug in outlets, plug in cable, and trickle charger cable; electric AC compressor and motor; electric steering rack, gear, and motor; electro/hydraulic power steering pump and reservoir; hydrogen fuel cell stack; battery cooling pump; seals and gaskets.”
Old 03-08-2022, 11:46 AM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by amphicar770

Yes, there seem to be several aftermarket firms offering HV battery replacement for mainstream brands. I have only seen one which *might* cover Porsche, but that is not totally clear from thwir web site. Battery technology has also improved to where some vehicles can be fitted with higher capacity than original factory unit. Perhaps there will be some viable options in a few years, for the moment you simply have to bend over and take what Porsche gives you in the name of German Engineering!
Took me a minute to find this shop (with locations all across California) who absolutely replace Porsche hybrid batteries. Costs $4,500 for 970 models (2011-2013) and $12,500 for 970 models (2014-) and they even give you a one year warranty (can get longer ones). I’m sure there are places like this across the country right now and more to come as well. There are also places that can repair a battery that may not need replacement (this shop in CA does repairs for example).

My takeaway is that there are a minority of folks who want to buy “cheap” old Porsches (here we’re talking about 8+ year-old Panamera hybrids) without paying for any extended warranty and then whining about expected repair or maintenance costs. Owning a Porsche ain’t “cheap” and the entire approach of such folks is misguided.
Old 03-08-2022, 05:22 PM
amphicar770
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

Yes, that is the place. Same price for a 9kw Porsche battery that they charge for a 50kw battery in other vehicles. "But, oh Muffy, this one says "Porsche" on the case, Skippy at the country club will be so jealous".

Yes, Porsche relies on people dumb enough to take a perverse sense of pride in overpaying for parts. It makes owners feel rich and superior to the dirty lower classes who have real jobs and can't afford to **** away money. In the 70s, owning a Porsche meant you were an enthusiast. Today, it has a different meaning , bolstered by some of the pretentious attitudes we see here.

Note, both shops listed are providing rebuilt batteries. You can not "repair" them without removing them from the vehicle and replacing the defective cells.

Last edited by amphicar770; 03-08-2022 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-08-2022, 07:49 PM
orca15
Pro

Deleted (duplicate)

Last edited by orca15; 03-09-2022 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-08-2022, 08:00 PM
orca15
Pro

I’m one of those enthusiasts although my first was 1984. Now On my sixth Porsche-I would never have afforded any of them if it wasn’t for indie mechanics and Pelican Parts. You can maintain an old Porsche for a reasonable price if you are a little lucky and avoid dealers and OEM parts like the plague.

Example- Dealer charged me $200 at delivery to swap summer with winter tires/rims and made it sound like I was getting a deal. Discount tire charged me $100 to mount and balance four new tires and ZERO to swap winter tire/rims back to summer. Dealer just sold a $140K car and still gouged me on what was essentially a tire rotation. Discount tires gave me the same thing for free because I am a good customer. F the dealer.
The following 2 users liked this post by orca15:
2000m2 (03-13-2024), Dr. G7 (03-25-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 08:59 PM
Zola3515
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Just to be clear, battery capacity is in kwhr, power output in kw. This whining that Porsches should cost the same as Toyotas is getting tedious.......
The following users liked this post:
SS22 (03-08-2022)
Old 03-09-2022, 11:18 AM
orca15
Pro

Originally Posted by Zola3515
Just to be clear, battery capacity is in kwhr, power output in kw. This whining that Porsches should cost the same as Toyotas is getting tedious.......
Excellent internet technique, create an argument no one is making, label it whining. Definitely proves your point.
Old 03-10-2022, 01:03 AM
k2s0
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at a 2018 CPO E-Hybrid. Sales says the original battery warranty is 8 years/100K miles and the CPO warranty will cover it an additional 2 more years. Anybody know if that is correct? I have not been any able to find any info on this matter.

Last edited by k2s0; 03-10-2022 at 01:24 AM.
Old 03-10-2022, 04:12 AM
dougpan4
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My wife had a 2016 PanS Hybrid with PP+, PDLS+, Active Lidar, etc. We bought it in 2017, Low miles as a demo CPO. I sold it last year, 2021 @ 40K miles. The car was in the Porsche Fremont shop 16 times due to Hybrid issues. Porsche Hybrid is a terrible product, but Porsche stands behind their product with a warranty. I like that. I can't bring the car to shop every other month. LOL ... We currently have 2 ICU 2014 Cayenne and 2016 Pan4S. They are GREAT ... I would not buy Porsche Hybrid …
Old 03-10-2022, 10:26 AM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Looking at a 2018 CPO E-Hybrid. Sales says the original battery warranty is 8 years/100K miles and the CPO warranty will cover it an additional 2 more years. Anybody know if that is correct? I have not been any able to find any info on this matter.
I don’t think so but I can see why that could be argued. From Porsche: “2 Years / Unlimited Miles Warranty after the expiration of the new vehicle limited warranty or from the date of sale if the new vehicle limited warranty has expired.” The “new vehicle limited warranty” is only 4 years so CPO would tack on another 2 years to 6 years. The 8-year warranty would outlive the CPO.

Still seeing complaints about 970 Panamera on this thread when OP is looking at 971 Panamera with improved hybrid battery technology. Still, nice to see Porsche stands behind their product and warranty.
The following users liked this post:
jrcrmr (03-10-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 09:52 PM
Thinker
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dougpan4
My wife had a 2016 PanS Hybrid with PP+, PDLS+, Active Lidar, etc. We bought it in 2017, Low miles as a demo CPO. I sold it last year, 2021 @ 40K miles. The car was in the Porsche Fremont shop 16 times due to Hybrid issues. Porsche Hybrid is a terrible product, but Porsche stands behind their product with a warranty. I like that. I can't bring the car to shop every other month. LOL ... We currently have 2 ICU 2014 Cayenne and 2016 Pan4S. They are GREAT ... I would not buy Porsche Hybrid …
Mine was also in the shop several times. The main Porsche shop repairman with 20+ years of experience told me to not get a Porsche hybrid. He said they're in the shop frequently, and to either get a regular gas powered, or go for a full electric.
Old 03-16-2022, 06:20 PM
Lfischl29
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to say that this thread was very enlightening! Thank you everyone for your input. I had always had a couple reservations about the complexity of PHEVs, but was curious to see if on the Porsche side they were still there. I had held off on buying an X5 PHEV last year for similar concerns....

Suffice to say I have not moved forward with an 4 e-hybrid - I have actually put a deposit down on a 2018 Panamera 4 instead! Test drove the Taycan but at the end of the day it's just too small for me with 2 kids. The Panamera feels just right!
Old 03-16-2022, 09:22 PM
Zola3515
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Just remember that there are no more than 10 people on this thread. Mostly such threads are populated by enthusiasts like me or detractors. Small statistics. I am very happy with my 2018 e-hybrid but I still have 18 months on original warranty and will certainly buy one when this runs out. Is Fidelity the right one to buy? Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Buying used 4 e-hybrid - what to look for?