Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Received my new PIWIS III

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 08:56 AM
rbrunelle
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by jsp3
I have a 2018 Panamera that I wanted to activate Voice Control on. It doesn’t seem as though the original owner ordered the option, although as most of you probably know it has the push in stalk with the labeled Voice Control icon. Do I understand that even if I had a PIWIS 3 and the activation code, that I wouldn’t be able to activate it on my 2018 Panamera?
That was my experience. I received the activation code for Porsche Connect by email for my 2018 Macan. When I went to load it, it told me I needed to be connected to do so. PCM 3.1 allows for activation without being connected but PCM 4 does not.
Old 12-21-2020, 03:11 PM
Jrama
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it possible to back up the piwis 2 or 3? My concern is these are loaded on second hand laptops. What happens in the event the laptop fails?
Old 12-22-2020, 09:27 AM
rbrunelle
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 84 Posts

There are warnings on the clone sites not to clone the hard drive as they will not work. I would be less concerned about cloning a three over a two. Make sure you use something like Clonezilla to clone it bit by bit instead of file by file
Old 12-23-2020, 05:30 AM
FerdinandAG
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrama
Is it possible to back up the piwis 2 or 3? My concern is these are loaded on second hand laptops. What happens in the event the laptop fails?
the image cannot be removed from the Panasonic CF-54, since the BIOS and HDD are closed, the image can be removed from the clone via Acronis. It will only work on the same laptop without entering keys, since the program is linked by HW ID (VM Protect or Enigma) + activation key
Old 12-29-2020, 05:27 PM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 115 Posts

what's the cheapest place to get a piwis 3?
Old 12-31-2020, 09:38 AM
FerdinandAG
Instructor

Originally Posted by bmw_e30
what's the cheapest place to get a piwis 3?
I bought only the program and the head, here
http://garageforum.org/Thread-Piwis-...-Vas6154-clone
Old 12-31-2020, 10:10 AM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by FerdinandAG
I bought only the program and the head, here
http://garageforum.org/Thread-Piwis-...-Vas6154-clone
Then you loaded it on VMware/Hyper-V? No issues with getting it licensed? There was a trick to PIWIS 2 when you did that, have to imagine 3 is worse...
Old 12-31-2020, 10:15 AM
FerdinandAG
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dom991.1
Then you loaded it on VMware/Hyper-V? No issues with getting it licensed? There was a trick to PIWIS 2 when you did that, have to imagine 3 is worse...
an Acronis image. installed on the SSD, activated the key, it is included
The following users liked this post:
scottmcdaniel (10-02-2021)
Old 12-31-2020, 10:31 AM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by FerdinandAG
an Acronis image. installed on the SSD, activated the key, it is included
Thank you!

Does anyone know if/where the coding would be for retaining the “auto hi beam” setting (the green A” you get by pushing the high beam stalk)? In my 2017-2019 911 I have to do it each time I get in car; in my our 2020 Cayenne it just remembers.
Old 01-01-2021, 01:03 PM
RomanJ
4th Gear

Hi all. Maybe someone can help.
I just received my new PIWIS 2. I connected to my 997.1 and all was fine. Than I switched to developer (E) mode which worked also well. After returning to standard (V) mode the diagnostic stays stuck on the "loading ODX data" page unable to close the page. After hard reset I tried to switch back to standard E mode but no change. After switching to P mode it sucked completely not able to determine user mode.... Anyone know how to reset the "factory setting"? Thank you in advance.
Old 01-02-2021, 02:49 AM
vkb123
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by RomanJ
I just received my new PIWIS 2. I connected to my 997.1 and all was fine. Than I switched to developer (E) mode which worked also well. After returning to standard (V) mode the diagnostic stays stuck on the "loading ODX data" page unable to close the page. After hard reset I tried to switch back to standard E mode but no change. After switching to P mode it sucked completely not able to determine user mode.... Anyone know how to reset the "factory setting"? Thank you in advance.

I was told never to set my PIWIS 2 to Production “P” mode as this will brick the unit. The person who told me this learned by trial and error and needed to send his PIWIS back for repair (maybe replacement - I can’t recall).
Old 01-02-2021, 09:39 AM
stjoh
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 74 Posts

My PIWIS 2 started doing the same thing the other day (I did not change the mode or do anything else unusual, just started it up). Set up PIWIS as a VIrtual Machine on another computer using a different image and same thing!
Old 01-02-2021, 09:52 PM
stjoh
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 74 Posts

My issue turned out to be related to the date on the computer. Suggest you try setting it back a year or more and try again. If you're running a virtual machine there's another step you need to take too.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:22 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

Originally Posted by stjoh
My issue turned out to be related to the date on the computer. Suggest you try setting it back a year or more and try again. If you're running a virtual machine there's another step you need to take too.
Same here. Changed to 1 year back, which feels like 15 years ago, it went back to work. Driver signature expiration?
Old 01-03-2021, 05:59 AM
RomanJ
4th Gear

Thanks for the hints. I tried to change the date backwards but it didn't help. Even after restart still the message "User mode could not be initialised. Contact the administrator". Interesting is that the diagnostic still works for the newer models like cayenne from MY 2011 etc. Those are obviously not covered by "other model lines" in the diagnostic configuration.
I contacted the e- shop already. They replied immediately that the engineer will check it on Monday. We'll see...
Thanks a lot.

Quick Reply: Received my new PIWIS III