Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Received my new PIWIS III

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 08:56 PM
rbrunelle
Racer

Received 271 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
I have it in engineer mode but I can't access the coding in the modules (overviews- modules- coding- manual coding). All I get is no entry data as option. If I try without connecting to the car, I can see all the coding options in multiple modules. This happens in both cayenne (E3) and 992.
I'm running v39.7, if that matters. The unit also came with v38.5, gonna try that later.
I see your problem. You can’t code from the overview screen. Go into the module you want to code by selecting it then hit next
Old 12-16-2020, 09:03 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrunelle
I see your problem. You can’t code from the overview screen. Go into the module you want to code by selecting it then hit next
That's what I'm trying.
Select the module(s) in overview, hit coding (top right), next screen- manual coding without rules. All I get is "no entry" instead of the coding options.

If I use the "additional menu (F7)", select the options I want to change, save and use "automatic coding" under the coding tab, it works fine but it's very limited in what's available.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:05 PM
rbrunelle
Racer

That's what I'm trying.
Select the module(s) in overview, hit coding (top right), next screen- manual coding without rules. All I get is "no entry" instead of the coding options.

If I use the "additional menu (F7)", select the options I want to change, save and use "automatic coding" under the coding tab, it works fine but it's very limited in what's available.
select module hit next. Then go to coding tab
Old 12-16-2020, 10:16 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

select module hit next. Then go to coding tab
I did that, this is what I still get:
Attached Images  
Old 12-17-2020, 09:13 AM
rbrunelle
Racer

That control unit is greyed out, do you even have it in your car? I have no idea what that is but unlike production mode which only shows you modules it detects, engineering mode shows you all modules, many of which are not on your car. I have no idea what that module is. It might be helpful if you tell us what you are trying to do.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:28 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

That control unit is greyed out, do you even have it in your car? I have no idea what that is but unlike production mode which only shows you modules it detects, engineering mode shows you all modules, many of which are not on your car. I have no idea what that module is. It might be helpful if you tell us what you are trying to do.
Trying to start coding. I'm stuck at this moment.
On the Cayenne I managed to change the headlight code to LED incl Matrix (8G4) and made *** go away (all for research purposes, not for driving, of course), but that uses the "additional menu" on the bottom - F7. After choosing the options, automatic coding works fine.

The car is connected, reads and delete errors and other functions. It behaves exactly as you describe, as if it's in production mode.

That module is the MIB, which in general controls the dashboard screens. Lots of customization on that one, but it I can't open that or any module at all.

Thanks for helping, so few people are adventuring in this....
Old 12-17-2020, 10:14 AM
rbrunelle
Racer

I didn't spend a lot of time on my newer Porsche(2018) but I did see that it was locked down much more than the older one (2013) In general, the additional menu screen lets you do things to the entire car, such as campaign checks, clear all faults and set the automatic programming parameters. As you discovered, there are limits to what it can do, and generally options and country code parameters. That module is greyed out. First thing to check is are you really connected to it. If you go to the extended identifications screen you should see the part number and other information.

I went into development mode on a 992 and I got the same screen you have shown. All of the programming options are available under manual coding without coding rules. Like you there is nothing under programming

Old 12-17-2020, 10:43 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

This is only hearsay but I have heard people say that the less expensive clone units (around $1k) cannot do coding (regardless of activation codes), the ones that have those capabilities are around $2k - it’s why I have not pulled the trigger yet, no easy way to confirm. Will update this group when I do make a decision.l and try out what I get (probably a month or so).
Old 12-17-2020, 11:17 PM
rbrunelle
Racer

Originally Posted by Dom991.1
This is only hearsay but I have heard people say that the less expensive clone units (around $1k) cannot do coding (regardless of activation codes), the ones that have those capabilities are around $2k - it’s why I have not pulled the trigger yet, no easy way to confirm. Will update this group when I do make a decision.l and try out what I get (probably a month or so).
you missunderstood my comment. All of the coding is available, he was merely looking in the wrong place the clones are true clones. You can do everything a dealer unit can do except online coding of immobilizer modules and activations on 2018 and newer cars. Only logged in units can do that.
Old 12-17-2020, 11:36 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

you missunderstood my comment. All of the coding is available, he was merely looking in the wrong place the clones are true clones. You can do everything a dealer unit can do except online coding of immobilizer modules and activations on 2018 and newer cars. Only logged in units can do that.
That's my understanding as well. I'm waiting on the vendor reply.
Old 12-18-2020, 03:03 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

My issue was the version. I was using 39.7. With v38.2 coding worked pretty well.

Last edited by John Mclane; 12-18-2020 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-19-2020, 05:35 PM
FerdinandAG
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

[QUOTE = Джон Маклейн; 17098731] Я сделал это, это то , что я все еще получаю: [/ QUOTE]development mode in version 39.5, macan II
Old 12-19-2020, 05:41 PM
FerdinandAG
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I did that, this is what I still get:
development mode in version 39.5, macan II

Old 12-19-2020, 06:10 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FerdinandAG
development mode in version 39.5, macan II

I think it's related to whatever to car x PIWIS compatibility, so it may vary from case to case.
I have it running now. We need to exchange experiences as so far I was not able to find a shop manual for customization (not sure if it even exists).
Old 12-20-2020, 12:28 AM
jsp3
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 2018 Panamera that I wanted to activate Voice Control on. It doesn’t seem as though the original owner ordered the option, although as most of you probably know it has the push in stalk with the labeled Voice Control icon. Do I understand that even if I had a PIWIS 3 and the activation code, that I wouldn’t be able to activate it on my 2018 Panamera?

Quick Reply: Received my new PIWIS III