Notices

GT350

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 08:13 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,334 Likes on 2,467 Posts

Originally Posted by zizu
There's other aspect I like about the GT350. We can argue all day long which one is faster on a track, but for the price, you can't have anything better than that. Not really fair to compare it to a GT3 that cost 3X more. Thing is, Porsche lost me when they decided to make it PDK only. They removed most of the fun factor, I don't care it's faster, it's still an automatic. And the GT4? Sorry, but it's not a special car. Like others said, parts bin car for still more money than a GT350.
Truth is, some here will never like it because it's a Ford.
I absolutely love mine. It's been a while since I had so much fun in the street. Since my 964, in fact.
The price difference is more like 2X. The GT3 is a Porsche rather than a Ford, and that alone justifies some of the price difference. Porsche has earned a premium over Ford. But I wouldn't argue with someone finding the GT350 to be a better value than the GT3, if it proves durable on track and Ford stands behind a track warranty.

As far as the fun factor of the GT3 and GT4, those of us who own them and have logged many miles in them - including many track miles - tend to like them a lot. PDK is awesome, and many of us feel that it adds to the fun of the GT3.

Originally Posted by Waxer
1. Down force is easy to add or subtract.
I don't think it's easy to do well. Ask any automotive aerodynamicist. And keep in mind that the suspension also needs to be tuned to work well with the added downforce, which increases roughly with the square of speed.

Last edited by Manifold; 07-12-2016 at 08:33 AM.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:57 AM
DerStig
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

- You feel that a 7800 rpm flat six from a carrera sounds exotic
- You care more about the interior and the type of leather/plastic than the car's handling

There is no further point of discussing this I think with you, your car is the right choice for you.

Originally Posted by elp_jc
That's subjective man. Regualr Mustangs sound like crap to me. And I never liked the sound of flat-crank V8s, so a GT350 doesn't appeal to me in that department. And I have to say they manage to sound much worse than a Ferrari. My Cayman GTS (PSE standard) sounds way better than any Mustang, including GT350s IMO. Much more exotic and refined, even though it only revs to 7,800 rpm. But that's all a matter of taste, so highly subjective.

Ha ha. That's true, especially their staged crap. Their last iteration is the worst by far; both Leblanc and Evans are painful to hear and watch. Chris Harris I'd trust on performance differences, but at least to me, that's not what driving a performance car is all about. And THAT is the problem some folks here have. They don't understand it's not all about performance for some of us; it's about the DRIVING EXPERIENCE. Driving a Mustang couldn't be more mundane. When I sat on a GT350, it just felt cheap. Didn't even ask to drive it (not interested). I don't care if it has a 500 or 1,000HP engine; if it doesn't even feel right to me, I simply don't care how it performs. I traded a 2015 Lexus RC-F and 2015 GTR for a fully-optioned 2016 Cayman GTS, since I wasn't impressed with a cheaper GT4 (plus didn't want a track car). And couldn't be happier, even though it's immensely slower than the GTR (especially at my altitude), but much more fun to drive. Depends what you want.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:58 AM
DerStig
Racer

Originally Posted by zizu
Sounds very close minded. He made a biased opinion before trying it. Again, because of the blue oval. Looks cheap? Oh well. I care more about the engine, gearbox and driving experience than its plastics. I can careless about full leather and deviating stiches or fragrance from the vent. Porsches used to be raw, pure, not luxurious, but now they catered to these people. That's what sell, and what's profitable.
For some people it's all show, and display what you can afford. Ego. Sorry but true.
Unfortunately people like him do exist. Nothing we can do. To each his own.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:00 AM
DerStig
Racer

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Most of the R versions are 30 to 40k over sticker. Mustang interior quality is still a little lacking and it's quite heavy and not as tosable as a gt3. Not close to perfection by any stretch.
Which GT3? 991 or 997
Old 07-12-2016, 09:49 AM
stuntman
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

The 350R is just as "tossable" as a GT3. The magnaride & 305/315 tires do wonders to mask the weight.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:18 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 240 Likes on 140 Posts

Question for owners..
I had hopes that I would get a '17 allocation and that didn't happen. (Dealer principle gave the last allocation to his buddy.. who now owns 2 x R's.. Grr )
I am seriously considering just ordering my own non R ( no problem here in Ontario) and had some questions regarding the 2017 models.
-Is the track pack standard on all ? ( I don't see any indication of this on the Ford.ca site)
-No option for the R aero package? ( I don't see any indication of this on the Ford.ca site)

Now I know they made changes to the '17 lineup to include these options (or at least I thought they had) but was hoping for some clarification from those who have purchased a '17 Non R GT350.

Much thanks in advance.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:21 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by stuntman
While I hate blanket statements, the advantage of downforce usually outweighs the losses of drag on most racetracks. The Boss 302R didn't win races until the installation of the (Steeda) Wing in the CTSCC series.

How much whp does your modified boss make? The GT350 puts down 475whp SAE.

How much does your boss weigh? The 350R weighs 3,665lbs with a full tank of gas.

The GT350R is capable of -1.5* of front camber -Fords recommended track setting. (Wider tires dont need as much camber). The IRS makes the car much more balanced and has higher cornering speeds than the Boss's solid rear axle, which requires more of a point-and-shoot line because it does not roll mid corner speeds as good as say an M3, but it's advantage is putting power down. Meanwhile the GT350 drives more like an M3 and has even higher cornering speeds - this comparison was all done on the same size/brand tires across all 3 cars.

The Boss does not have a trans cooler, the Laguna Seca had a scoop which is nowhere near as effective as a real cooler. Log your trans temps, you'll likely see high 200s -And unknowingly hurting the longevity of your synchros on even a 20-30min session.

What are your lap times at NJMP?
There are still plenty of Boss 302s hammering laps since 2012 withoiut trans issues. Granted the MT82 can be frustrating without some minor mods.

My point is not that the GT350 isn't superior technically. It is. I agree, the ability to set rear camber is major.

My point is that for some minor $$$ a Boss can be made very competitive and that the main delta is the wheels and tires for the Boss. Put 305 on the Boss that good for 1-2 seconds a lap. In stock form its a step behind for sure. Likely 2-3 seconds. Crips its a 4 year old car already. Further, if you want to camber the rear of the Boss Cortex has the setup fo the rear of the Boss that will allow for camber adjustments. Pricey but its there. Used Cortex rears are becoming available for as little as $5K.

Lap times? In which car?

My standard Boss 302 at Thunderbolt 1:32 ish.
My Boss TA3 1:28 ish.

Lightning standard Boss 1:18 ish.
Lightning Boss TA3 1:15ish. Maybe 1:14 on a good day for me. My son can get down to 1:13's.

But thats with me driving. A disadvantage right there.

Last edited by Waxer; 07-12-2016 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:06 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DerStig
- You feel that a 7800 rpm flat six from a carrera sounds exotic
- You care more about the interior and the type of leather/plastic than the car's handling

There is no further point of discussing this I think with you, your car is the right choice for you.
I just saw that - so according to him the GT4 sounds more exotic than the GT350 - LOL
Old 07-12-2016, 07:04 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
I just saw that - so according to him the GT4 sounds more exotic than the GT350 - LOL
Isn't what sounds better subjective? I think so. I think the Boss 302 cpc sounds better than the fpc of the GT350. To each his own.

The GT4 is no joke. It is seriously fast car and on the right track easily a match for a GT350.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:38 AM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

So much benchracing here especially from a few who don't even own nor regularly drive either or both types of cars... especially der usual suspect.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:16 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

Pretty soon any combustion engine will sound exotic. Ferrari had a four too.

I know Salomondrin (or whatever his name is) is not a favorite around here but I found his 350R video a bit informative.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:40 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
Question for owners..
I had hopes that I would get a '17 allocation and that didn't happen. (Dealer principle gave the last allocation to his buddy.. who now owns 2 x R's.. Grr )
I am seriously considering just ordering my own non R ( no problem here in Ontario) and had some questions regarding the 2017 models.
-Is the track pack standard on all ? ( I don't see any indication of this on the Ford.ca site)
-No option for the R aero package? ( I don't see any indication of this on the Ford.ca site)

Now I know they made changes to the '17 lineup to include these options (or at least I thought they had) but was hoping for some clarification from those who have purchased a '17 Non R GT350.

Much thanks in advance.
Track pack is standard on all 2017 350. Apparently there is no R aero package for the regular 350, but the track pack includes a more aggressive spoiler as standard.

I heard that the biggest porsche dealer here in Canada already has a list 70 cars long for the 991.2 gt3.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:03 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 240 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by shizzle
Track pack is standard on all 2017 350. Apparently there is no R aero package for the regular 350, but the track pack includes a more aggressive spoiler as standard.

I heard that the biggest porsche dealer here in Canada already has a list 70 cars long for the 991.2 gt3.
Wow that's a huge jump from when I placed my deposit.. It's good to know that the 2 larger dealers in Ontario will get at least that many.. So we should all be ok,
PTS FTW!
Old 07-14-2016, 11:24 AM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Bossing
So much benchracing here especially from a few who don't even own nor regularly drive either or both types of cars... especially der usual suspect.
Exactly... As an owner of a GT4 and GT350 at the same time, I chose the GT4. While the engine in the Mustang was great, the car is just too big. Clutch was too sloppy also. The GT4 is dialed in, very direct, great clutch/shifter, very nimble.
Attached Images  
Old 07-14-2016, 12:27 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

I'm definitely going to get a 350R when the markups are gone.
Car looks amazing and I'm just so happy that we finally have an "american" car worthy of even being discussed next to a Porsche.

I watched the GS races at CTMP this weekend and loved seeing how well the Mustangs did and man they sounded amazing. The whole time I was like I'd kill to race that Mustang while the Cayman did nothing for me. Plus the Mustang is rowing gears while the cayman has paddles.

Although from my quali mistakes in shifting perhaps I'm better suited to paddles lol

Quick Reply: GT350