Notices

GT350

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 06:26 PM
poofyo101
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
10k over list is considered a deal to "jump" on. 25k over list is much more common. Many are selling for even more.
Have some buyers been getting MSRP also? Seems like ford dealers even hungrier for market adjustments then porsche dealers.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:46 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by poofyo101
Have some buyers been getting MSRP also? Seems like ford dealers even hungrier for market adjustments then porsche dealers.
Some R's have been sold for MSRP but that seems to be rare and mostly from people with long standing relationships with a Ford dealer. Many/most have ADM's of 15 and up.

If anyone finds an R at 5 over let me know!
Old 06-04-2016, 06:54 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
I've had a few of the 350s offered at MSRP, and Rs at 5-10 over in the past 30 days. This wasnt the case 60 days ago, so take it for what it's worth.
Can you please PM me the R allocation at 5k-10k over if still available?
Old 06-05-2016, 01:12 AM
GrunHolle
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
Can you please PM me the R allocation at 5k-10k over if still available?
Hah, maybe his mailbox exploded, I asked him earlier in the day and never got a response.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:41 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

My dealer let me spec out the allocation last summer and I paid MSRP, not common but possible.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:39 AM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
I've had a few of the 350s offered at MSRP, and Rs at 5-10 over in the past 30 days. This wasnt the case 60 days ago, so take it for what it's worth.
Show me an R at $5-10k over in writing and I might believe it.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:35 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,399 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I don't know much about the GT350, but I ran across a well-driven one a few weeks ago on track and I was impressed with the pace. This thread is too long to read from the beginning, so could some of you guys summarize the verdict on the GT350 from the perspective of owners of Porsche GT cars?
Old 06-05-2016, 09:03 AM
DerStig
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Manifold
I don't know much about the GT350, but I ran across a well-driven one a few weeks ago on track and I was impressed with the pace. This thread is too long to read from the beginning, so could some of you guys summarize the verdict on the GT350 from the perspective of owners of Porsche GT cars?
I dont own a gt3, but I read every page of this thread and I have also seen a number of rs owners post in other forums as well as this forum:

- Its a lot of fun
- Performance was base car is very close to gt3, R is actually on par with gt3 and some say better (R lapped nurburgring faster than gt3, so that says a lot for a car that is down on power to weight and also only has manual transmission)
- Sounds amazing
- Brakes brakes brakes; everyone loves the brakes
- I saw a few people go as far as to say that they drive their R more than the RS because its more fun and engaging. This could be because R is the new toy or indeed true due to lack of stick in rs.

I think its an amazing car. I do think however between R and non R there is a substantial performance difference. I would believe that R would outlap the gt3 (as even ford claims) in a track if same driver drives them due to its very lightweight wheels and tune (the tune apparently is far more comprehensive than just stiffening the suspension, they probably modified fuel tables, trims, roll values etc).

Does it rev to 9k rpm? No. But the R with resonators removed will make head turns far more than any GT car will. Not only its probably the loudest car I have heard but it also has a pleasing sound tone to it. Its very unique and not a typical v8.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:11 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,660 Likes on 771 Posts

Umm, fantastic car for any price but it happens to be cheap and I want one.

But not much more power then a GT3, shifts slower and weighs 500-600 pounds more..
No way as fast as GT3.

The Porsche GT4 maybe it's equal in laptime and is considered a bargain, probably it's nearest track competitor at the moment for STIL 30% more.

Fun, great car, make good sounds, very comfy, looks good and it's cheap.
Don't take on GT3's at the track, that's just enthusiasm losing touch with reality.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:18 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Umm, fantastic car for any price but it happens to be cheap and I want one. But not much more power then a GT3, shifts slower and weighs 500-600 pounds more.. No way as fast as GT3. The Porsche GT4 maybe it's equal in laptime and is considered a bargain, probably it's nearest track competitor at the moment for STIL 30% more. Fun, great car, make good sounds, very comfy, looks good and it's cheap. Don't take on GT3's at the track, that's just enthusiasm losing touch with reality.
+1 on the GT4 comparison. After all the race version of the R is in the same class as GT4 Clubsport in Continental series.. So, no way as fast as 991 GT3. Maybe as fast as 997 GT3

I'm on list for R at a small local Ford dealer near where I work. SA said they don't sell enough volume to assure they'll get an allocation, but if they do, I'm #1 on the list and the owner of the dealer doesn't believe in marking up above MSRP. Fingers crossed.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:22 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Mark, maybe DerStig meant 996/997.1 GT3 and that's about right, GT4 is running right with 997.1 GT3's at Sebring, about 2:23's completely stock V stock (except pads and brake fluid).
Old 06-05-2016, 09:28 AM
DerStig
Racer

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
+1 on the GT4 comparison. After all the race version of the R is in the same class as GT4 Clubsport in Continental series.. So, no way as fast as 991 GT3. Maybe as fast as 997 GT3
Nurburgring Lap Times:

- Cayman GT4 7:42
- 997.2 GT3 7:40
- 991 GT3 7:33
- GT350R 7:32
- 991 GT3RS 7:28

Conclusion:

- Shelby is leaps and bounds faster than the cayman and even the old GT3. 10 seconds in nurburgring is not even in the same category.
- Ford officially did say gt3 was their benchmark and as you can see they did lap nurburgring a second faster than gt3. Obviously RS lapped 5 seconds faster than shelby, but to Ford's credit, yes their R was faster than GT3.
- From a driving dynamics point of view, I would always take a lighter, smaller, nimbler car over a longer, heavier, more powerful car. Just because car A laps a track faster than a car B does not mean A is a better car overall. In today's world, suspension and other relevant components are far too advanced and are able to hide the size and the weight of any car.
- Ford's engine does make more torque than 3.8 liter and does so a bit sooner as well.
- CF wheels in that car do make a substantial difference due to less rolling weight.
- Magna ride in these new american cars is believed to be more superior suspension which could also play a role.

Whats interesting is gt3 has a better power to weight ratio, has pdk, yet gets outlapped. I honestly dont understand this myself. In a track like nurburgring where you have so many shift points and where each shift point as per Porsche pdk has a 250ms advantage, R should not even be close.

Edit : In a smaller more technical circuit, I'm sure outcome can be slightly different. I know randy's times for R is worse than gt3. I dont know how R lapped nurburgring in 7:32, I am only posting whats in fastestlaps so dont shoot the massenger
Old 06-05-2016, 09:36 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

You have to understand that the Ring is great for torque.
That's why Z28 Caddy and 350R does so well.

Maybe on big HP tracks it can hang with GT4 but average tracks like in CA I don't believe it.
You can't make that much weight go away.

But maybe I'm wrong( it is known to happen)and it's magic for half the price...
I'd love it, but it's no factor to purchase it. It needs to LAST on track, let's hope they learned from the Boss and finally made it bullet proof. I'll just take it a few days a year and I'm sure it's fine for that.

Lots and lots and lots of stock GT track video's so post away and prove me wrong :-)

Running over the most people doing burn outs leaving cars and coffee doesn't count...
OK I'll let myself out...
Old 06-05-2016, 09:50 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

Based on those Ring times, one wouldn't expect the GT4 Clubsport to run in the same class as the GT350 R-C, let alone beat out two of them at the Sebring Conti Tire race I watched during Sebring 12 Hour week.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:54 AM
DerStig
Racer

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
You have to understand that the Ring is great for torque.
That's why Z28 Caddy and 350R does so well.

Maybe on big HP tracks it can hang with GT4 but average tracks like in CA I don't believe it.
You can't make that much weight go away.

But maybe I'm wrong( it is known to happen)and it's magic for half the price...
I'd love it, but it's no factor to purchase it. It needs to LAST on track, let's hope they learned from the Boss and finally made it bullet proof. I'll just take it a few days a year and I'm sure it's fine for that.

Lots and lots and lots of stock GT track video's so post away and prove me wrong :-)

Running over the most people doing burn outs leaving cars and coffee doesn't count...
OK I'll let myself out...
In every laptime I can find in fastestlaps, R is faster than GT4 and 997.2 GT3. I dont know how else I can prove this to you.

Remember, I keep saying "R". The base car and R are almost like two different cars. I have watched every single review, read every blog and review on all these cars. People assume R is just some package and they drive the base car and make their comparison based on that.

That being said, I highly doubt GT4 will beat even the base mustang. GT4 is slower than the 997.2 GT3 is it not? No one is questioning the nimble, lightweight, playful character of GT4. But make no mistake, a smaller car will always give you the wrong sense of fasteness - it will feel fast, but numbers may say otherwise in the end.

At 61k (assuming you get one at sticker one day), with a naturally aspirated engine, with a unique exhaust sound, and with a 6 speed, it indeed is a bargain. I was honestly very close to pulling the trigger on a mint 997, but now I am emailing Ford dealers in the hopes of finding an R. Hard to justify paying so much more for a 6-7 year old car with so much maintenance costs (coolant leak this, thermostat that, centerlock yada yada yada - just not practical when you have another alternative that meets all the criteria - AND brand new with 5 years of warranty!).

Quick Reply: GT350