Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

What do you guys think of the Cayman?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 03:32 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2008 RS and 2012 R. To my mind, both need mods to make me happy, even for quick street driving.

If I'd gotten the R first, I might never have considered the RS, but once I'd driven the Mezger, I want to keep both.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:42 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bmardini
A GT3 driven at the limit is an awesome thing. Twitching, roaring, hungrily revving out of every corner and charging to the next. A track exhaust or bypass just adds to all the drama.
I think you've nailed the best description ever of the 997 GT3 cars; it's the drama that makes them so special, and it all starts the first time you hear the exhaust flaps open.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:46 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
if was i was just gonna use it on street, then cayman would fit the bill quite nicely. maybe a few track days per year as well thrown in, nothing too serious, just happy lappery. but if serious tracking were on the agenda, then it has to be a caged 6.2 and get a cheaper car for the street. then things become expensive and slippery slopes are willingly approached.....
i stopped tracking for a year, and have enjoyed a little extra bonus disposable income, otherwise i was flat broke.
Lol...all so true my friend

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
I have a Cayman R. It has inferior hard parts to a GT3. This is not a matter of opinion. That said, Cayman is a fine car for what it purports to be, and it should be considered for what it is, not for what it should-have-could-have been.

Buy a Cayman R because it's a fun, relatively inexpensive street car that can occasionally be taken on the track with little wear. Don't buy it because you think mid-engine is the holy grail of handling, or because you think you're getting a cut-price GT3.
Yeppers.

You can track a Cayenne (I have) but it might not be fun Different strokes for different folks. Choices, choices. If you are a full fledged trackrat then a full cage purpose built car (Cup) trailered to the track is the only solution.

Otherwise simply choose your level of compromise...haha...

Bring your wallet no matter what you decide

Last edited by savyboy; 01-09-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:01 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,705 Likes on 2,342 Posts

i think you are missing the point.
the two cars feel very different i have many many of each.
cayman has the "potential" to be better than 911 but PAG probably wont let that happen any time soon. can YOU make cayman better than 911, yes, add about $200k to it, change out the motor, tranny, lsd, re-do the entire subframe for geometry, the list goes on and on and on. then it can be better than 911, but probably wont have the reliability.

there are PLENTY of RS out there. if you want it, keep on shopping
that said, cay R is also a great car, you just need to find out which YOU like.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:37 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am probably in a very small group of listers (?) who have driven a Cayman with a tuned GT3 engine plus ASA Supercharger and been involved in racing a similar Cayman with an RSR motor.

The street version was very very quick, and by that I mean that I was on a faster schedule than i would have been in a 997 Turbo or GT3, even in the wet it felt as sure footed as the AWD car. This car had 'a lot' of horsepower, to confuse matters it also had a GT3 front on it. I really liked it, easy to live with and coped with cruising along on a lovely day as well as being hammered over a mountain road.

The race car was real fast, cornered better than the RSRs, but the gearbox needed a lot more development as all the oil pickups had to be re-engineered because everything was inverted (moving the engine ahead of the axle). In the end, it was more cost effective to use the 458 Italia. I'd like to think that one day, some loonie at Weissach will come up with a Cayman race car that addresses the gearbox issues (hello Mr. Xtrac).

R+C
Old 01-10-2012, 07:42 AM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you were considering a GT3rs or GT3... and wanted the real thing.. why even consider a cayman?
just my 2 cents..
Old 01-10-2012, 08:27 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,882 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry L
I have seen what must be the ultimate Cayman. One of our guys has developed this car to the point that it ought to be untouchable by any GT3 except a Cup car, with custom wider bodywork, custom shocks, top drawer suspension bits, carbon fiber everywhere, a custom engine from Germany, etc. And it is beautiful. If Porsche ever homologates the Cayman, it should look like this car.
I think I know this car. Stupid money spent if it's the one I'm thinking of but it sure looks impressive.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:15 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
I think I know this car. Stupid money spent if it's the one I'm thinking of but it sure looks impressive.
One-off Penske shocks. Set up by top pro race driver. Originally ff motor. Same car? Spectacular in my book.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:24 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Walter is a tall guy, how does he fit in?
I tried and don't.
See where his knees are...
Old 01-10-2012, 09:49 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 108 Posts

Just buy a MK1 GT3RS and be done with it. That way you get a lightly used RS, for brand new Cayman-R money, and then don't have to worry about depreciation. Then if you decide you want a Cayman, selling an RS isn't an issue. Problem solved.

The MK2 was too rich for my blood (I wanted to keep the M3), plus, knowing myself, modding was inevitable, so atleast I had some cash left to buy some of the goodies I knew I wanted. I 'm just sayin'.......
Old 01-11-2012, 03:14 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,705 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
I am probably in a very small group of listers (?) who have driven a Cayman with a tuned GT3 engine plus ASA Supercharger and been involved in racing a similar Cayman with an RSR motor.

The street version was very very quick, and by that I mean that I was on a faster schedule than i would have been in a 997 Turbo or GT3, even in the wet it felt as sure footed as the AWD car. This car had 'a lot' of horsepower, to confuse matters it also had a GT3 front on it. I really liked it, easy to live with and coped with cruising along on a lovely day as well as being hammered over a mountain road.

The race car was real fast, cornered better than the RSRs, but the gearbox needed a lot more development as all the oil pickups had to be re-engineered because everything was inverted (moving the engine ahead of the axle). In the end, it was more cost effective to use the 458 Italia. I'd like to think that one day, some loonie at Weissach will come up with a Cayman race car that addresses the gearbox issues (hello Mr. Xtrac).

R+C
like i said, cay has "potential".
but PAG or someone with a lot $$$ need to step up and do some real development!

Quick Reply: What do you guys think of the Cayman?