Notices

New Corvette...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 02:02 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It is beautiful. Like a mix of a 458 and a 599. The rear end is awesome. The interior shots awesome.

Based on C6 Z51 prices, this could be the best $60k to spend on a car. I'm glad they're re-using the 6.2 race proven V8, and very likely they have moved the 0.50 OD 6th into 7th, and made gears 1-5 closer.

Aluminum frame, CF roof, nice interior, a nice evolution from the C6.

Affordable track day car.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:31 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoosier_Daddy
+1. The back of the car looks Camaro'ish.
indeed - and 4 exhaust ports? why not 8?
Old 01-14-2013, 02:47 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
It is beautiful. Like a mix of a 458 and a 599. The rear end is awesome. The interior shots awesome.

Based on C6 Z51 prices, this could be the best $60k to spend on a car. I'm glad they're re-using the 6.2 race proven V8, and very likely they have moved the 0.50 OD 6th into 7th, and made gears 1-5 closer.

Aluminum frame, CF roof, nice interior, a nice evolution from the C6.

Affordable track day car.
It really pains me to agree with Rad but I like it. A lot of car for the $$$

As for you people who are crowing about interior quality on Porsche's either never had or have forgotten the 996.

PS Alcantara is crap and a cheap out replacement for Leather.

Peter
Old 01-14-2013, 02:58 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jenner
Am I the only one that sees the interior as a cheap knock off of the Audi R8, the seats as a rip off of Ferrari and the exterior a mishmash of Ferrari 458 headlights, Ferrari 599 GTO body/style with over the top vents etc.
I think you've nailed it here, I had similar thoughts when I saw the pictures. I think the aesthetics are actually OK (particularly the grey car in the promo shots) but as you mention, it all comes down to the materials. I was once a passenger in a CTSV something or other and the interior looked stylish enough at first glance but once you touched anything it was horrible. The door handle creaked and twisted when you pulled on it. The "ebony" trim felt thin and plastic like. Lots of different surfaces that didn't match. I imagine they have designers and engineers who are as talented as anyone else, but then the managers and accountants get involved and they end up selling $60k Cadillacs with cabins that don't measure up to $30k Audis.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:15 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
Old 01-14-2013, 03:18 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

LOL!

I had high hopes - thought I might even consider one - but the design is far too busy for me. Anybody else see some 'Corvette Summer' in the hood? That was my first impression.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:30 PM
speedy88
Banned

Originally Posted by cole328
Like all Vette's...as soon as you open the door and sit in their crap interior, you will lose your hard on . Sadly, american cars have a long way to go to catch up with their german counterparts.
Totally agreed. Interior sucks. If the exterior and performance is all I see and feel, a Corvette would be in my garage. Stop putting more money in the engine. Look at the transmission/drive system and interior.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:33 PM
GT3 RS
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
Because the Corvette look nice with 4 exhaust tips just like GT3 RS looks nice with 2 exhaust tips.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:40 PM
GT3 RS
Track Day

Originally Posted by speedy88
Totally agreed. Interior sucks. If the exterior and performance is all I see and feel, a Corvette would be in my garage. Stop putting more money in the engine. Look at the transmission/drive system and interior.
talking about "putting more money", I don't think GM had much money from buyer (MSRP) to begin with, GM will not asking for 991 Carerra S price for this stingray,...

I think if they were able to sell their regular Corvette model (not the ZR-1) with the MSRP similar to the current 911 Carrera, they sure would be able to get interior as nice or not nicer then the current 911.

The last ZR-1 were "FORCED" to used the lousy interior similar to the regular corvette because if they get their "special" interior, the price of the ZR-1 would be much higher, and perhaps closer to 911 GT2RS price...

economy of scale for the last ZR-1 were not enough to justify custom interior,
and plus even the ZR-1 would most likely cost less then well optioned 991 Carrera S.

I think if you ask Porsche to build a car as capable as this new Corvette Stingray, with the same interior quality and
with the same MSRP as what GM ask for,
Porsche would NOT be able to do it!
Old 01-14-2013, 03:44 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I would replace the 4 round exhaust outlets with two rectangular ones with minor rounding on the edges, similar to the MP4-12C exhaust outlets, follows the rear end lines better.

450 ft-lbs of torque !!! I would be pretty happy replacing my aging Cayman for one of these.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:51 PM
GT3 RS
Track Day

Originally Posted by Jenner
Am I the only one that sees the interior as a cheap knock off of the Audi R8, the seats as a rip off of Ferrari and the exterior a mishmash of Ferrari 458 headlights, Ferrari 599 GTO body/style with over the top vents etc.

The interior materials look like fake/cheap versions of everything. "Oh the Audi R8 has a carbon console wrap around the driver so we'll clone that and make our carbon look like a 3M Di-Noc sticker." "Let’s have cheap carpet all the way up the center console and use the same switches and plastic quality from our $20k models."

You can tell just by looking at it, you don't even have to touch it to know what the quality of the "leather," plastic, switches and "carbon" feels like. It be fast for the $ I have no doubt but they had a chance to really change things and they didn't.

I was excited for their "nothing will be the same" ad campaign, yet it is exactly the same as Corvette has been for years. Low price, great performance, no style and horrible interior design and quality. When will they recapture the style the Vette had from the 50s to the 70s? The cheese wedge shape with styling borrowed from other cars is nothing like the voluptuous shapes the Corvette once had. And I don't see the 70s stingray in this car at all.

My father had many Corvettes, all different models from the 50s to the 70s, often several at the same time when I was growing up. He had a small hobby business called "Coupe Accoustics" where he and his friend made custom matched leather wrapped speaker enclosures (with or without head unit) that would fit the rear windows/shelf of the 60s coupes as well as selling hundreds of corvette parts at car meets/shows and collecting TONS of toy cars, posters and promo cars. I grew up coloring side profiles of every single corvette up to the 80s in custom made Corvette coloring books he gave out at shows. BOTH of us should be Corvette owners, yet he's had a 1984 911 for many many years now and I've had 4 911s and a Cayenne. There is no substitute!
Yeah, this new corvette get lot's of "inspiration" from Ferrari 458 or Audi R8 etc etc,...
and yeah they will surely fell cheaper then the 458 and R8,

but if hypothetically, GM offer you to build a Corvette with all the quality matching the 458/R8 but ask you to pay the same price as the R8 or 458,

would you then buy it?

I don't think so, right... you of course would prefer to buy the Ferrari
even if everything match or better then the Ferrari.
because at the end of the day,
it is still a corvette by GM and not a Ferrari

so I don't think it would be realistic to expect Corvette to have same kind of material quality as Ferrari but charge you with their current bargain price.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:23 PM
RacingJunkie
Rennlist Member

Keep in mind, the car you saw was a fully loaded optioned out car, and I was not impressed with it. We have yet to see what the base car quality is going to look like.

The dry sump (lets be honest, it's not really a true dry sump) will be part of the Z51 package.

Rumors on the MSRP are 55K. The leather interior will be about 10k, the upgraded seats about 2.5k, competition seats 4k. The car you saw on Sunday, will be about 80,000 if not a bit more.

I'm a corvette guy, I own 4 of them. And my opinion, it looks like complete crap. My search for a 997 GT3 has just resumed.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:26 PM
mp3moose
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 RS
Yeah, this new corvette get lot's of "inspiration" from Ferrari 458 or Audi R8 etc etc,...
and yeah they will surely fell cheaper then the 458 and R8,

but if hypothetically, GM offer you to build a Corvette with all the quality matching the 458/R8 but ask you to pay the same price as the R8 or 458,

would you then buy it?

I don't think so, right... you of course would prefer to buy the Ferrari
even if everything match or better then the Ferrari.
because at the end of the day,
it is still a corvette by GM and not a Ferrari

so I don't think it would be realistic to expect Corvette to have same kind of material quality as Ferrari but charge you with their current bargain price.
I think these types of questions are precisely what the chevy was trying to avoid with this new model. They wanted buyers to sprindboard off their sofas in lust and want to get the new vette. Not to play the fantasy comparison game.

The vette needs to be a sought after car in it's own right without the stigma of being a budget ferrari, lambo, etc. I am afraid this iteration will continue just that.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:29 PM
GT3 RS
Track Day

Originally Posted by RacingJunkie
Keep in mind, the car you saw was a fully loaded optioned out car, and I was not impressed with it. We have yet to see what the base car quality is going to look like.

The dry sump (lets be honest, it's not really a true dry sump) will be part of the Z51 package.

Rumors on the MSRP are 55K. The leather interior will be about 10k, the upgraded seats about 2.5k, competition seats 4k. The car you saw on Sunday, will be about 80,000 if not a bit more.

I'm a corvette guy, I own 4 of them. And my opinion, it looks like complete crap. My search for a 997 GT3 has just resumed.
a 997GT3 is a used car, so of course it will have a lot of value for the money.

the upcoming brand new 991GT3 on the other hand would probably cost at least $120 to $130K based price, and with "little option" it would reach $150K or more easily...

I do find it interesting that many of the "Corvette Guy" actually do NOT like this new corvette,
while me, a Fanatic Porsche Guy, were now loving this new Corvette design...
well, probably if the next generation 911 change their styling too much,
I would too hate it... just like the current Corvette owner shocked by this new design...

I guess the neighbor grass would always be greener
Old 01-14-2013, 04:32 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
I would replace the 4 round exhaust outlets with two rectangular ones with minor rounding on the edges, similar to the MP4-12C exhaust outlets, follows the rear end lines better.

450 ft-lbs of torque !!! I would be pretty happy replacing my aging Cayman for one of these.
Get it now, be the first and only to track it hard to find out what breaks and tinker a solution together that is like taking the morning after pill after the baby is born...

Very short warranty period for the Chevy, but it can't break more than the Fiat and although the dealership experience will be awful at least service time will be like the speed of light compared to the Fiat...

Quick Reply: New Corvette...