Notices

New Corvette...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 10:12 AM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
kinda looks like a cross between a GTR and a Camaro.
+1. The back of the car looks Camaro'ish.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:13 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
lol
yup, still got the leaf spring which is a major PITA to adjust ride height.
I was under the impression you simply adjusted the bolts that hold it in place and you can lower the car that way?
Old 01-14-2013, 10:27 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Design seems busy - too many derivative themes going on for my taste and not feeling the Camaro tail lights. But I trust it will look better in the flesh and no doubt a lot of car for the money.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:45 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by The Greek
I agree a little over blown, but understand how a cheap interior can ruin the experience. True, 911's and boxters share 80% of interior, but the boxter is still a 50K car.

Issue here is a 50k is sharing the same razor thin cheap plastic as a Chevy Sonic. It's awful. Hopefully the production version will be great....
You're absolutely right, and while I loved the C6, I always thought their design budget ended right before the interior was taken care of. We will have to see if this one is better, but the pics posted in this thread are promising. My only point was that a turn signal stalk is no barometer of judging a car IMO, and poo pooing this new car for its turn signal & switch gear is ridiculous. In fact, that is uses the same as I have in my tow vehicle is good, because it is sturdy & functional & very easy to use, IMO. Also IMO, that fact thhat a Boxster is 50k is not necessarily a barometer of quality...only price.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:16 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 94 Posts

it definitely gets people talking, thats for sure.....I'm sure the Z06 performance will be mind blowing....
Old 01-14-2013, 12:16 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

Feels like the exterior design team either took 10 years off- or hired the nearest 10 year old kid to come by the studio- add some vents, aero pieces, and camaro tai lights- and call it a new design. Here's to hoping it looks better in person.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:40 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The back of the car looks Camaro'ish.
+1 I do like the overall look but I think the back end needs some work, I will have to make my final decision when I'm able to see it though.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:43 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
Same turn signal stalk and switches as my truck :-(
If the controls allow you to set the intermittent wiper frequency, then I'm all in as neither my Cayenne nor my 911 do this to my satisfaction. Dave
Old 01-14-2013, 01:05 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Am I the only one that sees the interior as a cheap knock off of the Audi R8, the seats as a rip off of Ferrari and the exterior a mishmash of Ferrari 458 headlights, Ferrari 599 GTO body/style with over the top vents etc.

The interior materials look like fake/cheap versions of everything. "Oh the Audi R8 has a carbon console wrap around the driver so we'll clone that and make our carbon look like a 3M Di-Noc sticker." "Let’s have cheap carpet all the way up the center console and use the same switches and plastic quality from our $20k models."

You can tell just by looking at it, you don't even have to touch it to know what the quality of the "leather," plastic, switches and "carbon" feels like. It be fast for the $ I have no doubt but they had a chance to really change things and they didn't.

I was excited for their "nothing will be the same" ad campaign, yet it is exactly the same as Corvette has been for years. Low price, great performance, no style and horrible interior design and quality. When will they recapture the style the Vette had from the 50s to the 70s? The cheese wedge shape with styling borrowed from other cars is nothing like the voluptuous shapes the Corvette once had. And I don't see the 70s stingray in this car at all.

My father had many Corvettes, all different models from the 50s to the 70s, often several at the same time when I was growing up. He had a small hobby business called "Coupe Accoustics" where he and his friend made custom matched leather wrapped speaker enclosures (with or without head unit) that would fit the rear windows/shelf of the 60s coupes as well as selling hundreds of corvette parts at car meets/shows and collecting TONS of toy cars, posters and promo cars. I grew up coloring side profiles of every single corvette up to the 80s in custom made Corvette coloring books he gave out at shows. BOTH of us should be Corvette owners, yet he's had a 1984 911 for many many years now and I've had 4 911s and a Cayenne. There is no substitute!
Old 01-14-2013, 01:16 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Even with high build quality it looks way to "Transformers" to me. I like the C6 better, overwrought design IMHO, kinda like Lambo's. I guess that is a good thing to some.

But hey, if it stays in one piece at Sebring, who cares?

Old 01-14-2013, 01:24 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rubber_ducky
What exactly makes you say that?
Post 13, 6th pic.. Maybe this is a mule, so WTF

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Exactly. WTF?

I have no idea whether this new Corvette is any good or just a gold chain. However, the rampant snobbery and elitism on display cracks me up. What does a GT3 cost, again? And it shares 80% of its interior with a Boxster?

Oh, the horror!
At least Porsche knows how to do an interior whether or not it's Boxster or a 911

You're absolutely right, and while I loved the C6, I always thought their design budget ended right before the interior was taken care of. We will have to see if this one is better, but the pics posted in this thread are promising. My only point was that a turn signal stalk is no barometer of judging a car IMO, and poo pooing this new car for its turn signal & switch gear is ridiculous. In fact, that is uses the same as I have in my tow vehicle is good, because it is sturdy & functional & very easy to use, IMO. Also IMO, that fact thhat a Boxster is 50k is not necessarily a barometer of quality...only price.
No one is poo pooing the car, just observations.

Originally Posted by Jenner
Am I the only one that sees the interior as a cheap knock off of the Audi R8, the seats as a rip off of Ferrari and the exterior a mishmash of Ferrari 458 headlights, Ferrari 599 GTO body/style with over the top vents etc.

The interior materials look like fake/cheap versions of everything. "Oh the Audi R8 has a carbon console wrap around the driver so we'll clone that and make our carbon look like a 3M Di-Noc sticker." "Let’s have cheap carpet all the way up the center console and use the same switches and plastic quality from our $20k models."

You can tell just by looking at it, you don't even have to touch it to know what the quality of the "leather," plastic, switches and "carbon" feels like. It be fast for the $ I have no doubt but they had a chance to really change things and they didn't.

AMEN Bro..

I was excited for their "nothing will be the same" ad campaign, yet it is exactly the same as Corvette has been for years. Low price, great performance, no style and horrible interior design and quality. When will they recapture the style the Vette had from the 50s to the 70s? The cheese wedge shape with styling borrowed from other cars is nothing like the voluptuous shapes the Corvette once had. And I don't see the 70s stingray in this car at all.

My father had many Corvettes, all different models from the 50s to the 70s, often several at the same time when I was growing up. He had a small hobby business called "Coupe Accoustics" where he and his friend made custom matched leather wrapped speaker enclosures (with or without head unit) that would fit the rear windows/shelf of the 60s coupes as well as selling hundreds of corvette parts at car meets/shows and collecting TONS of toy cars, posters and promo cars. I grew up coloring side profiles of every single corvette up to the 80s in custom made Corvette coloring books he gave out at shows. BOTH of us should be Corvette owners, yet he's had a 1984 911 for many many years now and I've had 4 911s and a Cayenne. There is no substitute!
+1 I couldn't agree more.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:24 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
If the controls allow you to set the intermittent wiper frequency, then I'm all in as neither my Cayenne nor my 911 do this to my satisfaction. Dave
+1000 Add BMW to this list of offenders. Can't stand that rain sensor overrides intermittent function.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:31 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
lol

those rental car ***** are there to remind you that it's a cheap car to maintain

Originally Posted by 007DT
Getting there.. Has my attention but like others have mentioned the interior still screams American Cheese. (Switches, etc.)

I would never kick the German cousin out of the garage but I'd certainly entertain adding one of these.. They are stupid fast!
^this

Honestly...WGAS about the turn signal stalk? Is that REALLY a factor in a purchasing decision?
Not a purchasing decision by any means... I just would hope for more for my $100K (assuming zo6 will use the same) than what is in the cobalt...

Originally Posted by rubber_ducky
^^^This^^^

What more do you guys want out of a turn signal stalk? Should it be covered in leather?

Shhhh.... don't tell anybody, but 80% of a 911's interior is shared with the lowly boxster. How dare they?
I dont know, maybe it should not be 2 inches thick look like a $4 part in their halo car... cover it in whatever you want... it is budget designed piece that looks it. All I am saying is that they have to cut corners and it is apparent where they did/do.

Exactly. WTF?

I have no idea whether this new Corvette is any good or just a gold chain. However, the rampant snobbery and elitism on display cracks me up. What does a GT3 cost, again? And it shares 80% of its interior with a Boxster?

Oh, the horror!
I dont consider this elitism or snobbery, I was merely pointing out that I was dissappointed that they raided the parts bin for the swtiches... if you think about designing a car, I would say that the items that you actually touch when operating (steering wheel, seat, pedals, switches, gear lever, etc) would not continue to be an afterthought in your halo car... cars half the price of the vette have superior interiors but I suspect the argument is that the money goes into the powertrain. When the ZR1 was in design phase it was then gm exec asking "what could the design team do if they were given the lattitude of a $100k base price and clearly they could do a lot and the money was well spent on performance items. I also suspect that most zr1 buyers would have no trouble paying $10K extra for unique to the entire chevy product line switchgear. My GMC truck has a crap interior as well... miles behind its competition... I still bought it because of the larger picture (duramax/allison) and I feel the same about the vette... none of this would keep me from buying it, but I would just hope for more. A Golf GTI interior, a $25K car, is superior... but of course they are built in such numbers that they can spread the cost out over more cars... no mind... I recognize the selling features and the bang for the buck... and applaud them for the accomplishment. As I mentioned in my previous post, show me the zo6 carbon edition which is the cats *** so to speak, even with the switches from a base cobalt from 5 years ago.

Originally Posted by The Greek
I agree a little over blown, but understand how a cheap interior can ruin the experience. True, 911's and boxters share 80% of interior, but the boxter is still a 50K car.

Issue here is a 50k is sharing the same razor thin cheap plastic as a Chevy Sonic. It's awful. Hopefully the production version will be great....
you sir, are an elitist and a snob... how dare you

I am not poo pooing the car all together -- the performance is undeniable regardless of switch gear or leaf springs or whatever ails it in the minds of the "elitists and snobs"... (of which I think you were referring to me since I mentioned the turn signal stalk, a fine how do you do by the way)

I am merely saying I would hope for more... but maybe that is the point... they do not have to put in "more" because they will still sell and out perform the competition at half the price.

I suspect they are doing the best they can with the budget allowed to hit specific performance markers and profit levels. GM knows the interior is the main criticism and they improved it by offering at least a seat choice.

I would not pass on a vette for any of the issues mentioned but they can do better... It is my thought that bean counters and bureaucracy make doing what should be done impossible, otherwise it would be done.

I am a z06/zr1 fan despite my feelings about their about their switches etc. As I mentioned in my previous post that I have wood for a z06 carbon edition.

Love,

Snobby elitist mfer
Old 01-14-2013, 01:36 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 139 Posts

I am liking this car, if only in pictures so far. Will try to get in one as soon as they come available for driving.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:38 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It takes all kinds for sure, i love my buddies Z06, what a drivetrain!!

Any one see the interior pics of the Viper? Can you say Nice!!

Quick Reply: New Corvette...