Notices

New Corvette...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 11:50 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

The interior has sure improved on these Vettes . And performance has been there . But I am a little off on the exterior styling . It just looks like they went of with creases in every direction . Look at say the new Lambo. It flows together .

I might have to drive one just to see. I do like my Boss though . And if I pop a Ford Racing supercharger on to it then it is got some serious go in it .

But like Od there I still look at the Cayman S . Although the guys with the Caymans keep saying add a turbo .

I know that up at $90,000 or so that the Cayman isn't worth that to me. Maybe when the GT Cayman comes I will be ready to get back to Porsches.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:46 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
Tom,
any surfing at Black's/Bird Rock/Cove in your history?
I'm a UCSD alum and long time Mex surf camp owner.
Oh yeah--I'm a longtime WindanSea Surf Club member. First surfed Black's in 1962, chose my college based on proximity to that break and started at UCSD in 1965. Surfed Baja a lot back then and took my first surfari to mainland Mex in 1967: http://members.rennlist.com/tweedt/mexsurf.htm

Have a couple of friends running surf camps--Jon Roseman in Tavarua and Buzzy Dephilippis in Nicaragua (Playa Colorado).
Aloha,
TT
Old 02-25-2014, 10:14 AM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRider
The interior has sure improved on these Vettes . And performance has been there . But I am a little off on the exterior styling . It just looks like they went of with creases in every direction . Look at say the new Lambo. It flows together .

I might have to drive one just to see. I do like my Boss though . And if I pop a Ford Racing supercharger on to it then it is got some serious go in it .

But like Od there I still look at the Cayman S . Although the guys with the Caymans keep saying add a turbo .

I know that up at $90,000 or so that the Cayman isn't worth that to me. Maybe when the GT Cayman comes I will be ready to get back to Porsches.
Cayman GTS will have 10 or 15 hp bump over the S model. Fairly insignificant IMO.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:28 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rubber_ducky
Cayman GTS will have 10 or 15 hp bump over the S model. Fairly insignificant IMO.
and prob $10k more to boot! Frankly, however, its just an bundled options package.

I cant believe these cars are pushing $100k!
Old 02-25-2014, 02:01 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rubber_ducky
Yes I had seen that too . I put up a several paragraph post there in the Mustang thread last night about that exact thing . And why I like the Mustang and Vette and if I was going up to that price a darn Viper . I spent a half day with the SRT Vipers a couple of months ago - but we had very poor weather in the form of ice and rain so I am looking forward to it again if I can . Put it in third and motor . More than that all the guys and folks were enthusiasts . I posted on it here and it is here in Other Marques .
Old 02-25-2014, 02:03 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kosmo
and prob $10k more to boot! Frankly, however, its just an bundled options package.

I cant believe these cars are pushing $100k!
Exactly . And what I said to the dealer . I can afford one , but I am not going to . And especially with all the other good choices out there right now .
Old 03-06-2014, 09:49 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Chevy announced a $2000 price increase. the Z51 is now a $4000 option. Effective as of March 1st.
Dang
Z06 will prob be 100k now.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:46 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 94 Posts

Chevy announced a $2000 price increase. the Z51 is now a $4000 option. Effective as of March 1st.
Dang
Z06 will prob be 100k now.
Yep, another 15 more increases equal to this one and it'll be around the base price of a Carrera S.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:47 PM
Fastboy
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

They are beautiful. I think GM has really done a good job on the new Corvette. I just bought another 996 TT with the x50 pkg--but I did consider buying a Vette instead--not too far apart in price to buy a Vette vs. a 10 yr old 996tt! But the Porsche won in the end. My experience has been good with Porsche and I guess i still don't trust an American car to be able to take the punishment of a Porsche and still keep running. We'll see. Guys at the track always tell me they need to do work on their Vette's after a couple of track sessions. My last Porsche never showed any sign of strain. Perhaps that will change with the new Corvettes. We'll see.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:19 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Old 03-29-2014, 12:04 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 94 Posts

A overly positive review by Evo is definitely a testament to the new Corvette.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:45 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 94 Posts

I want one! In yellow!
Old 04-07-2014, 09:10 AM
kosmo
Race Director

2015 Corvette Stingray to Offer Eight-Speed Automatic
Paddle-shift gearbox rivals dual-clutch performance, enhances efficiency

DETROIT – An eight-speed paddle-shift automatic transmission will be offered in the Chevrolet Corvette Stingray for 2015, enhancing the performance and efficiency of the 2014 North American Car of the Year. Designed and built by GM, the new transmission delivers world-class shift times that rival the best dual-clutch designs.

The all-new, GM-designed 8L90 eight-speed is expected to contribute up to 5-percent greater efficiency, when compared to the previous six-speed automatic. EPA fuel economy test results are pending and will be announced later. It also makes the Corvette Stingray one of the few sports cars to offer the choice of a conventional manual transmission or an eight-speed automatic.

"Corvette Stingray's new eight-speed automatic delivers the comfort and drivability of a true automatic transmission, as well as lightning-fast shifts and the manual control that enhance the performance-driving experience," said Bill Goodrich, assistant chief engineer for eight-speed automatic transmissions. "It was designed to enhance the Stingray's driving experience, with performance on par with dual-clutch designs, but without sacrificing refinement."

The available 8L90 transmission is based on the same eight-speed automatic that will be offered on the supercharged 2015 Corvette Z06, but with unique clutch and torque converter specifications matched to the torque capacity of the Stingray's LT1 6.2L naturally aspirated engine.

For performance driving, the transmission offers full manual control via steering wheel paddles. A new transmission-control system and unique algorithms deliver shift performance that rivals the dual-clutch/semi-automatic transmissions found in many supercars – but with the smoothness and refinement that comes with a conventional automatic fitted with a torque converter.

The transmission controller analyzes and executes commands 160 times per second. Wide-open throttle upshifts are executed up to eight-hundredths of a second quicker than those of the dual-clutch transmission offered in the Porsche 911.

Smaller steps between gears, compared to the previous six-speed automatic, keep the engine within the sweet spot of the rpm band, making the most of its horsepower and torque to optimize performance and efficiency.

With four gearsets and five clutches, creative packaging enables the new eight-speed automatic to fit the same space as the previous six-speed automatic. Extensive use of aluminum and magnesium make it more than eight pounds, or 4 kg, lighter than the six-speed. Design features that reduce friction contribute to the expected 5-percent greater efficiency.

The 8L90 is built at GM's Toledo, Ohio, transmission facility.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:15 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default z06

heading to NY auto show specifically to see a zo6 in a few weeks...never thought I would be in the Vette market in the future but times change...
Old 04-26-2014, 11:56 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 213 Likes on 153 Posts

repost;

after driving a brand new yellow Stingray (with 180 original miles on it at pickup) for a few days here from Orlando to Daytona, and down the Space Coast to Ft. Lauderdale, I'm happy to report; I loved it.

but I think i'll like my v8 968 slightly more (w/ 40~50 extra ponies from LS7 block), and after the suspension is sorted, despite all the cool gadgetry and spectacular overall layout of the Vette.

this thing rides big.... well, it is big. the front is just sooo damn wide. I can hardly see over the fenders... I like the view of the road from the cockpit of my 968 a lot better. imo, the Vette is more a compact musclecar than a sports car. sure feels like it.

I love the exhaust note. mid-range power is very good, and the top end is great. still, I think the Camaro should feel about like this.... and the post-modern Vette weigh in a couple/few hundred pounds less...... then, this car would be it.

the rear visibility is horrid, but it's a minor inconvenience when weighed against everything else.

i realize with all the modern safety features, it takes a lot of $$$$ to build a light supercar. still, it makes for a pretty spectacular daily driver. for me, it's about the biggest and heaviest thing I ever want to drive; a muscle car that handles like a supercar. yes, I want one.

my 0.02 on the Vette.

od.

Quick Reply: New Corvette...