Notices

New Corvette...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 02:39 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

If I had a Chevy , it would be the new Vette . But I have been going the other way for a while .
Old 05-07-2014, 09:18 AM
lfish
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 52 Posts

Meet Evette, the new stablemate for my 6GT3. She is a Z51 convertible, Arctic White with Adrenaline Red interior. All the performance goodies, including competition seats and 7 speed. Magnetic suspension provides a taut, supple ride. Rigid chassis has eliminated cowl shake completely. The V8 at full throttle is simply exhilarating. She lives up to her rave reviews and has exceeded my expectations. The dealer/sales experience was transparent and seamless, and delivery was expertly handled with a 90 minute orientation and full tank of premium Shell gas. Excited to let her stretch her legs once the break in period is done!
Attached Images  
Old 06-06-2014, 09:42 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

2015 Corvette Z06 Rated at 650 Horsepower
Supercharged LT4 V-8 engine is the most powerful ever from Chevrolet

DETROIT – The all-new 2015 Corvette Z06 is the most powerful production car ever from General Motors and one of a few production cars available in the United States that delivers more than 600 horsepower.

The Z06's LT4 supercharged 6.2L V-8 engine is SAE-certified at 650 horsepower (485 kW) at 6,400 rpm and 650 lb-ft of torque (881 Nm) at 3,600 rpm.

"The LT4 Small Block sets a new benchmark for power and torque at GM," said Steve Kiefer, vice president, GM Powertrain Engineering. "The engine also puts the new Corvette Z06 on par with the most powerful supercars offered in America, while delivering performance with impeccable manners that make it suitable for daily driving."

Compared with other supercar engines, the LT4 is a veritable fountain of low-end torque, producing 457 lb-ft (619 Nm) just off idle and 625 lb-ft (847 Nm) by only 2,800 rpm. The V-12-powered Ferrari F12 Berlinetta, for example, produces about 28 percent less torque than the Z06, despite offering about 12 percent more horsepower – and its peak torque isn't achieved until 6,000 rpm. The LT4 maintains 90 percent of its peak torque, or 592 lb-ft (802 Nm), from 2,500 to 5,400 rpm.

The new LT4 engine eclipses the Porsche 911 Turbo S engine's peak power levels by 90 horsepower (67 kW) and 134 lb-ft of torque (182 Nm).

"Torque is the pulling power of an engine and the LT4's abundance of it at every rpm in the engine's speed range helps the 2015 Corvette Z06 accelerate quicker and respond nearly instantaneously," said Jordan Lee, chief engineer for Small Block engines. "It's the very definition of power on demand."

The new Z06 engine produces 40 percent more peak torque (180 lb-ft / 244 Nm) than the previous-generation's 7.0L LS7 engine – and 7.5 percent more than the supercharged 2013 Corvette ZR1's 604 lb-ft (819 Nm). At 3,200 rpm, the new LT4 surpasses the LS7 by 208 lb-ft of torque (252 Nm). On the horsepower side of the graph, the LT4's 650-hp rating is 29 percent greater than the LS7's 505 horsepower (376 kW), and 12 horses more than the ZR1's LS9 engine.

"The new LT4 engine builds on the design strengths of our previous supercharged engine and leverages the technologies introduced on the Corvette Stingray – direct injection, cylinder deactivation and continuously variable valve timing – to take Corvette performance to an all-new plateau," said Lee. "Our new, very compact supercharger also helps the engine make power more quickly, and perhaps more importantly, it helps produce more torque earlier in the rpm band."

"It's also worth mentioning that the LT4's supercar performance numbers are achieved with an engine that is nearly the same size as the very compact LT1 engine introduced in the 2014 Corvette Stingray," Lee said. "The power density of the LT4 makes it one of the smallest and lightest 650-hp engines in the industry."

LT4 details
The new LT4 engine is based on the same Gen 5 small block foundation as the Corvette Stingray's LT1 6.2L naturally aspirated engine, incorporating several unique features designed to support its higher output and the greater cylinder pressures created by forced induction, including:
• Rotocast A356T6 aluminum cylinder heads that are stronger and handle heat better than conventional aluminum heads
• Lightweight titanium intake valves
• Machined, forged powder metal steel connecting rods for reduced reciprocating mass
• High 10.0:1 compression ratio – for a forced-induction engine – enhances performance and efficiency and is enabled by direct injection
• Forged aluminum pistons with unique, stronger structure to ensure strength under high cylinder pressures
• Stainless steel exhaust manifolds and an aluminum balancer that are lighter than their LT1 counterparts
• Standard dry-sump oiling system with a dual-pressure-control oil pump.

A new 1.7L supercharger spins at up to 20,000 rpm – 5,000 rpm more than the supercharger on the Corvette ZR1's engine. The rotors are smaller in diameter, which contributes to their higher-rpm capability – and enables them to produce power-enhancing boost earlier in the rpm band. That boost is achieved more efficiently via a more direct discharge port that creates less turbulence, reducing heat and speeding airflow into the engine.

"The Small Block's cam-in-block design heritage has always enabled very high performance and responsiveness in a small, compact package – an attribute amplified by the performance of our new supercharger's design," said Lee.

The LT4 is assembled at the new Performance Build Center at GM's Bowling Green Assembly Plant and at GM's Tonawanda engine plant in New York. It is matched with a standard seven-speed manual transmission or an all-new, paddle-shift eight-speed automatic transmission built in Toledo, Ohio.

Designed to deliver shift responses on par with the world's best dual-clutch transmissions, it is the first automatic offered in a Z06. It also makes the Z06 one of the few cars this powerful to offer the choice of a conventional manual transmission or an eight-speed automatic.

The 2015 Corvette Z06 goes on sale in early 2015.

Founded in 1911 in Detroit, Chevrolet is now one of the world's largest car brands, doing business in more than 140 countries and selling more than 4.9 million cars and trucks a year. Chevrolet provides customers with fuel-efficient vehicles that feature spirited performance, expressive design, and high quality. More information on Chevrolet models can be found at www.chevrolet.com.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:10 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No doubt about it, they are incredible cars and will give every sports car a run for the proverbial money.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:14 PM
kosmo
Race Director

V8 baby

http://youtu.be/rMRlbxmQ-M4
Old 07-16-2014, 12:49 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 779 Posts

Not a fan of the Stingray A$$...too much going on.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:27 AM
kosmo
Race Director

ZO6 specs are out. The coupe weight is 3524lb. Not light.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:38 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
ZO6 specs are out. The coupe weight is 3524lb. Not light.
I'm not sure about that curb weight number. GM claims the Z06 will be about the same heft as the Stingray, which is 3298lb.
http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette-st...imensions.html
Whatever the final number, even if it's 3300, it's no featherweight and my first thought for the 2014 GT3 is that it should be lighter in all respects -- starting with those over-the-top 20 inch wheels, which must bring unwelcome unsprung weight even though they look great and I'm sure Porsche went to extraordinary lengths to forge a lightweight wheel.
With 650hp and 635+ lbft, the Z06 / Z07 brings muscle car specs to the sports car competitors. It's a different car and I don't think it can be fairly compared to a 911 -- different price points (the GT3 is basically 50% more expensive) and different paths to a very fast lap time.
I ordered the Z06 mostly as a "if the GT3 blows dead donkeys" fallback position. As of the last few hundred miles, I don't have any reservations about the absence of offensive fellatio tendencies for the 911 to revive deceased beasts, but I'm not sure I can justify adapting the 2014 GT3 to be a track car compared to the same exercise with the Z06.
I think the RS will have its hands full competing with the Z06. Porsche isn't going below 3000lb with the RS and it's not going anywhere near 650 horse or 630 pounds feet; even if the RS came out with a jaw-dropping 550hp, it won't have the torque, and the upshift advantage of the PDK won't shrink the gap created when the blown V8 goes loud out of an apex down any sort of straight.
Both drivers will probably be smiling joker-style ear to ear, but I have to still tip my loyal hat to the RS, even at probably twice the price, the RS will be more value to me than a Z06, even though the Z06 could well lay down some very decent laps.
Back to the GT3, it's the street car you can drive to a DE, bringing a 475hp knife to a 650hp canon fight isn't shielded by being a better handling car or 5-10% lighter.
I'll let GM build a few, work out the inevitable quality shortcomings, then revisit my forced induction front engine driving to see if I enjoy it. At least it has a third pedal. I'm not too amused by the idea of a torque convertor 8 spd paddle shift -- and I can't explain how GM would even try to claim it shifts faster (?) than PDK (since PDK shifts in negative time, and only a dual shaft box can shift in more negative time ... a single shaft box can only shift in positive time delay.)
Old 08-19-2014, 12:48 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRider
If I had a Chevy , it would be the new Vette . But I have been going the other way for a while .
Is the Boss still purring ?
Old 08-20-2014, 02:41 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

^^^^

Yes it is. And I am in a pickle some too.

In one way I would like to add an older Mustang from 1969-1972 , as I had a 1970 Mach 1, to go with it. If I do that though it probably ends my Porsche days.

Or I can sell it off and try for a 993 that I saw and then maybe a Cayman S to actually drive around will be on the radar.

Or just flip a coin for just one of those Porsches and leave it there without the BIG job of building another garage here.

I saw a couple of fair looking new Vette's. But I have a seen a couple in that flat finish that just look pukey and accent some of the the mangled angles there. But I ain't buying no Chevys. Nothing against those that do - that is just for me.

You know I drive a truck most of the time anyway. Texas guy!
Old 08-20-2014, 07:36 AM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRider

You know I drive a truck most of the time anyway. Texas guy!
Yeap! EVERYTHING is BIG in Texas ...............Just build an additional garage - you have the room
Old 08-20-2014, 09:17 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

^^^^^

But one of these days Miss E I aint going to be a young stallion anymore - like about 15 years ago or so.

I see what you did there - you sidestepped the whole Stang vs Porsche thing. In the Vette thread lol.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:27 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

info 8spd and factory data acq
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4ojwG4k5Iw#t=13
Old 08-22-2014, 09:15 AM
kosmo
Race Director

WOW, the base can be had for less the $80k. I was thinking more like $90k. INTERESTING...

2015 Corvette Z06 Priced at $78,995
American supercar delivers unprecedented performance, technology

DETROIT – The 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 – the most powerful and technologically advanced model in the iconic car's 62-year history – will be offered at a suggested retail price of $78,995 while the convertible model will start at $83,995, Chevrolet announced today.

"The 2015 Corvette Z06's performance and technical capabilities place it in the elite fraternity of supercars," said Harlan Charles, Corvette product and marketing manager. "Very few cars in the world deliver 650 horsepower, true aerodynamic downforce, carbon fiber and performance technologies such as Magnetic Ride Control, Performance Traction Management and an electronic limited slip differential – and none gives the driver a transmission choice or the choice of a coupe with a removable roof panel or a full-power-top convertible."

Leveraging learnings from the Corvette Racing program, the $2,995 Carbon Fiber Ground Effects enables the Corvette Z06 to produce true aerodynamic downforce for increased stability at high speeds. The package adds a functional carbon fiber front splitter, carbon fiber rocker panels, and a larger rear spoiler.

For the ultimate performance, the Z07 Performance Package is available for $7,995, adding Brembo carbon ceramic-matrix brake rotors that improve braking performance and contribute to better handling through reduced unsprung weight. The Z07 package adds adjustable front and rear aerodynamic components to the Carbon Fiber Ground Effects package for unprecedented aerodynamic downforce and Michelin Pilot Super Sport Cup tires for enhanced grip.

"The Z07 performance package enhances overall performance to make the Corvette Z06 one of the most track-capable cars you can buy off the dealership floor and still drive it to work every day," said Charles.

Z06 models are offered in 1LZ, 2LZ and 3LZ trims. A range of available features enables customers to tailor the look and feel of their Z06, including:
- Premium Package with leather-wrapped interior
- Aero-enhancing carbon fiber ground effects package
- Performance Data Recorder and navigation
- Competition sport seats offered in leather or sueded microfiber
- Carbon fiber interior trim and carbon fiber convertible tonneau cover inserts
- Visible carbon fiber roof panel (Coupe)
- Tintcoat exterior colors, several available wheel finishes and several available brake caliper colors.

Most powerful, technologically advanced Corvette ever
The Z06 rejoins the Corvette lineup for 2015 with a stronger aluminum frame than previous models, an aero package designed to produce performance-enhancing downforce and an all-new, supercharged 6.2L V-8 engine rated at an SAE-certified at 650 horsepower (485 kW) and 650 lb-ft of torque (881 Nm). That makes it the most powerful production car ever from General Motors and one of the most powerful production cars available in the United States.

To balance performance and efficiency, the LT4 leverages the same trio of advanced technologies introduced on the Corvette Stingray – direct injection, Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation) and continuously variable valve timing – and leverages them with a new, more efficient supercharger. Combined with the fuel-efficient multi-speed transmissions, aerodynamic design and lightweight construction, they help make the new Z06 surprisingly efficient.

The Corvette Z06 also leverages other technologies introduced on the Corvette Stingray, including the strategic use of lightweight materials and advanced driver technologies, with calibrations tailored for its capabilities. The aluminum frame structure, for example, is 20 percent stiffer than the previous, fixed-roof Z06.

Additional technologies support the car's tremendous performance capabilities and enhance the driving experience, including:
- Third-generation Magnetic Selective Ride Control dampers are standard and can be adjusted for touring comfort or maximum track performance via the standard Driver Mode Selector
- Performance Traction Management is available in the Track mode of the Drive Mode Selector and offers five settings of torque reduction and brake intervention for track driving
- Launch control is available in Track mode for manual and automatic transmissions, providing maximum off-the-line acceleration
- An electronic limited-slip differential, also standard equipment on Z06, adjusts the rate at which the limited slip engages, to balance between steering response and stability in different driving conditions with more aggressive performance in Sport and Track modes.

The Z06 offers three increasing levels of aerodynamic downforce:
- The standard Z06 features a front splitter, spats around the front wheel openings, a unique carbon-fiber hood with a larger vent, and an aggressive rear spoiler.
- The available carbon-fiber aero package – in either carbon flash paint or a visible carbon-fiber finish – adds a carbon-fiber front splitter with aviation-style winglets, carbon fiber rocker panels, and a larger rear spoiler with a fixed wickerbill, which combine to create true aerodynamic downforce
- The available Z07 package adds larger winglets to the front splitter, along with an adjustable, see-through center section on the rear spoiler for track use. With this package, the Corvette Z06 delivers the most aerodynamic downforce of any production car GM has tested.

Drivers can monitor the Z06's performance without taking their eyes off the road via a color head-up display (standard on 2LZ and 3LZ trims) that, among the range of performance readouts, displays a g-meter in Track mode.

The Z06 also offers the award-winning, industry-first Performance Data Recorder – or PDR – which enables users to record high-definition video, with telemetry overlays, of their driving experiences on and off the track. The racing-derived system is included with the available navigation system.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:00 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 785 Posts

Call it 100k out the door.
I'd buy it in a heartbeat... Too bad you have to be not very tall to fit with helmet...
Comfy daily driver that bullies any thing else street legal on track, 5 lug manual

Maybe I need to look into a custom seating solution

Quick Reply: New Corvette...