Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 03:12 PM
bondjockey
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Best bang for your buck among performance cars. Look forward to reading the reviews. Not for me however; no stick and these cars depreciate quickly since they make so many of them.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:12 PM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 60 Posts

Looks amazing. Price makes it an incredible value. Reliability is likely very good. Performance is phenomenal in every respect. Serious sports car with great heritage.

Would I buy one? No.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:15 PM
onedae
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 46 Posts

All the specs and the pics look great. The big question, which is typical of Corvette, is how is the build quality, fit and finish going to be. If its Chevy quality that will be a big turn off. At $60K base, I'm skeptical.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:18 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
That will play havoc with longevity.
clearly going to kill self, possibly across from Manhattan where it isn’t illegal.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:23 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Received 1,654 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
That will play havoc with longevity.
One is UAW and the other is not. They are going to have it out.

/I don't know what that was auto correcting from. It's a mystery.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:23 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
That's dry weight. Curb is probably around 3600.
“Chevrolet lists the C8 Corvette Stingray coupe’s curb weight at 3,366 pounds, 68 heavier than the ’18 Stingray coupe and 16 pounds lighter than the new 911 Carrera S.”

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2...ns-torque/amp/

Old 07-19-2019, 03:25 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by FogCitySF
It looks much better than I expected and definitely a step in the right direction. Kudos to Chevy for pushing forward with the mid-engine concept in the pursuit of the best possible performance. It does look NSX like, but is the kind of track car that you can have a lot of fun with and not worry too much if something goes wrong given the price point. Looks like it will be a tremendous performance car value with a high fun factor.
Yes. It could be better if it went on a 300 pound diet.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:26 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 104 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by CarAholic
Looks pretty slick and is 1/2 the price as my current spec'd Spyder. Maybe I need to rethink this, lol. The lift sounds cool but no way I would trust a Chevy auto lift. I can only see this breaking and randomly lifting the nose while on the track.
The fact that so many parts, particularly the electronic parts are designed and built by 3rd party manufacturers like Bosch and Siemens and used in so many cars makes intelligent conversation a hopeless dream
Originally Posted by alvitdk
Mhhh, as much as I love the look of it, never had much success with US build cars, but then I just had to replace my headliner and the lights are delaminating on a 5-Year-old German made car....not sure if that's any better.
On the other hand, This gives me hope.

The C8 is no better or worse looking than any new McLaren, Lotus, Lamborghini or my beloved, cherished most beautiful car in the world 987. If only it could come in a 3/4 size.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:27 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 169 Posts

Wait, is a manual tranny dead!? That center console doesn't look like they planned space for a stick....
Old 07-19-2019, 03:27 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts

As a corvette owner/racer and multiple Ferrari owner and DIY mechanic who can rebuild a Ferrari motor or transmission the vette will never be a car for those who want to be seen in a Ferrari. But from a racecar for the street GM hit it out of the park. There are so many things positive things GM did that Ferrari can't or won't. I'm afraid the vette is going to walk all over Ferrari's current offering except in the panache department. People always talk performance for the dollar but it is really just about scale where vette will make 40K units while Ferrari 4000units/yr. We benefit from big numbers that lower prices and improve reliability. Fixing a DCT in a Ferrari could be $20k bill or $40k replacement. The high volume DCT in the vette I bet will be close to the cost of the crate motor which they have traditionally been. The current LT1 is $8,500 all day long. The C8 is using the LT2 a repackaged LT1 with integral drysump. Unless rebuilding a motor for more power it is cheaper to replace GM crate motors than fix old ones which rarely blow up even under race conditions.
The following users liked this post:
2slow2speed (07-22-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 03:28 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

I think this car may impact Cayman, Z4 and others. Not sure 911 buyers will cross shop with the C8. In any case, say a top of the line C8 at $90K looks like a bargain. Now, if GM really wants to create a buzz around this car, they need to take it to the Ring and basically kill it so it right this time - be transparent about tires so that no one wonders if they cheated. GM engineers are top, but if they need to pay an European hot shoe to get 1 or 2 secs out, might be worth it. Looking forward to the Ring video.
Disclaimer - this car is not for me, but it would be great to see a new good sports car surfacing.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:31 PM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 114 Posts

While I agree that the 981 was a steal and cheaper to own then the vets. I do not see the same happening for the 718. The price increase and multiple year production will not help future values. As a percentage basis I still think the vett will lose more vs the Gt4 but overall money loss I think will be close to the same. Not that it's a reason to own a car or not but I see any easy 20k loss with either vehicle for a two year ownership.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:32 PM
camaroz1985
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought for sure it would be closer to $100k. Really interested to see what the Z06 and ZR1 models are packing in the future, considering the base C8 is the same as the top of the line ZR1 C7 in 0-60.

C7 took a while to grow on me, and this is kind of the same, but I am warming up to it faster. Think, in 3 years you can probably pick up one of these for less than $40k, that just boggles the mind.

Also the interior is a little odd, but if quality is a step up from the C7, as they say it is, it should be nice. The detailing they showed looked really nice as well. If it had back seats like a 911 (for the kids), I would be highly tempted. As it is, I would still be interested in picking one up in about 10-15 years haha.

Also on the website you can use a simple configurator to see options, and one of them is a more conventional high rise spoiler.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:33 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
So I just did the Mid vs Rear experience at PEC LA yesterday. Drove the 991.2 C2S first and then 718 GTS. My prior direct 911 vs. Cayman experience was with a group of friends and one had a 997 and another had a 987 which we drove back to back in the canyons. With the 997 vs 987, I felt there was a significant difference with how the cars handled with the 987 rotating much more willingly. The 997 felt like I had to tip-toe at the limit to keep the rear from swinging around. However, with the 991.2, it surprised me with how easy it was to drive quickly. I've been tracking cars, auto-x, and general fast driving for over 2 decades now (sheesh... .gettin old... ), so I can hop into pretty much any car and be up to 85% speed right away. We did the kick-plate, skid pad, dynamics course, and road course both cars. The dynamics course was a little auto-x starting with a 3 cone slalom from the launch into a 180 right hander into bus stop chicane before the stop box. In the 991.2 C2S going through the slalom and quick higher speed transitions of the bus stop chicane, the rear was really planted and didn't really exhibit any tendency to want to swing wide. I noticed the biggest different between the C2S and 718 GTS being the willingness to rotate with changes to throttle/brake input; the 718 being the quicker to get the nose to bite on turn-in and also more easy to adjust mid-corner. On a scale of 1-5, I'd say the difference in handling feel between the 997 and 987 was a 5 whereas with the 991.2 and 718, it's more like 2. I did like 7-10 laps on the handling course in each car and both are extremely capable. For serious track use, both cars are too soft on the suspension of course, but they are set up pretty well for fast street driving and the concessional track day. On the handling course, the cars were in sport chrono with the PDM active, so probably/likely why the cars behaved so well on the road course. The main differences in handling on the road course were basically the same as I noticed on the dynamics course.
Did the C2S you drove have RAS? I'd guess not. Makes a big difference. I say this having driven a RAS T at PEC Atl two weeks ago. Also have a Boxster GTS that I track and autocross, so I certainly know how it responds. Plus I have a non-RAS 991.2, and can tell you not having RAS is a significant difference.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:34 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
“Chevrolet lists the C8 Corvette Stingray coupe’s curb weight at 3,366 pounds, 68 heavier than the ’18 Stingray coupe and 16 pounds lighter than the new 911 Carrera S.”

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2...ns-torque/amp/
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...-photos-specs/

"Below, we've listed every specification that GM has provided so far regarding the C8 Stingray.

Dry Weight (lb. / kg): 3366 / 1530"

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?