Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 03:09 PM
PCarOMFS
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
Mike, what times are you running in the Z06 at WGI?
PB in my GT4 was 2:04.65
Kevin that 2:04 in a GT4 is ridiculous. You are a far better driver than me. My fast lap on Cup2’s in my GT4 was 2:15 and my fast lap on Cup2’s in ZO6 was 2:09. But I’ll say this, I did it during my first time on track in the ZO6 and I’m still learning and getting more comfortable in it. The car is capable of 1:58 as I’ve seen better drivers than me accomplish that. There’s a lot more in the car than I can wring out at this point, but we all need to have goals right!?!?
Old 04-14-2019, 03:21 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by PCarOMFS
Kevin that 2:04 in a GT4 is ridiculous. You are a far better driver than me. My fast lap on Cup2’s in my GT4 was 2:15 and my fast lap on Cup2’s in ZO6 was 2:09. But I’ll say this, I did it during my first time on track in the ZO6 and I’m still learning and getting more comfortable in it. The car is capable of 1:58 as I’ve seen better drivers than me accomplish that. There’s a lot more in the car than I can wring out at this point, but we all need to have goals right!?!?
1:58 is legit
RS is tempting me to a sub-2 minute lap
I actually wouldn't mind a manual Z07 Grand Sport like your dad's for track duty...
Old 04-14-2019, 03:34 PM
blue_bomber697
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to step here and say, it’s refreshing to see so many people here open and thinking critically about the Corvettes as an option over a Porsche. As a Corvette owner myself (840whp C7 Manual), with a deposit down on a GT4, it’s great to see many people here open to the thought of a C8. The Corvette stigma about old fart owners was definitely reduced by the C7 and will get further erased by the C8 (old Corvette owners hate the C8 mostly) but the argument that Corvettes don’t hold value as well as a Porsche is 100% true. It’s actually the biggest reason I am considering a GT4 over my Corvette. In saying that, Porsche owners definitely have their own stigma and I’m happy to see it does not apply to most owners here it seems.

Corvettes are great cars with incredible performance per dollar value just like Porsche’s are fantastic for their fit and finish, reliability and holding value.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:40 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by blue_bomber697
Just wanted to step here and say, it’s refreshing to see so many people here open and thinking critically about the Corvettes as an option over a Porsche. As a Corvette owner myself (840whp C7 Manual), with a deposit down on a GT4, it’s great to see many people here open to the thought of a C8. The Corvette stigma about old fart owners was definitely reduced by the C7 and will get further erased by the C8 (old Corvette owners hate the C8 mostly) but the argument that Corvettes don’t hold value as well as a Porsche is 100% true. It’s actually the biggest reason I am considering a GT4 over my Corvette. In saying that, Porsche owners definitely have their own stigma and I’m happy to see it does not apply to most owners here it seems.

Corvettes are great cars with incredible performance per dollar value just like Porsche’s are fantastic for their fit and finish, reliability and holding value.

I was just over on CF in the new ME C8 forum and those guys have no love lost for us Porsche owners....very uptight over there.

I had Vettes for 18 years, the last of which was a 750 hp C6 ZR1 and now on my 3rd Porsche (991.1 GT3, GT4 and 991.2 RS) as well as a 458, so I don't get why other groups get so defensive about their particular marque?

The following users liked this post:
napiers porsche (08-10-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 03:44 PM
PCarOMFS
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree 100%. I love a lot of different cars for different reasons. I don’t fit the stereotype for a Vette owner as I’m 37 years old and I haven’t melted down and cashed in my 401k to buy the ZO6. I also don’t own much cheap gold either, but I might make a run to Walmart soon to check out their selection! LOL
Old 04-14-2019, 03:46 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

I agree 100%. I love a lot of different cars for different reasons. I don’t fit the stereotype for a Vette owner as I’m 37 years old and I haven’t melted down and cashed in my 401k to buy the ZO6. I also don’t own much cheap gold either, but I might make a run to Walmart soon to check out their selection! LOL

Old 04-14-2019, 06:22 PM
gthal
Pro

Received 539 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
I was just over on CF in the new ME C8 forum and those guys have no love lost for us Porsche owners....very uptight over there.
its just a couple of Corvette guys who have an inferiority issue. Most love both brands.

Last edited by gthal; 04-14-2019 at 07:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
HooosierDaddy (08-30-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 10:05 PM
GoKart Mozart
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Considering the cost of maintenance for Porsche and the fact my warranty was going to expire shortly are two big long-term ownership issues I had with keeping the GT4. It’s simply less expensive to own a Corvette, even out of warranty. I’ll likely keep it as a track car long term. It’s all relative and subjective, and I don’t regret my decision at all. I agree that trying to compare lap times between a GT4 and ZO6 isn’t exactly fair because the ZO6 has far more power.

In terms of handling, I took my car to TPC Racing and had them do a track alignment. According to Mike Levitas, the critical alignment spec is the rear caster. A special tool is required to measure it and most shops don’t have it or use it. My ZO6 handles very well for a heavy car and I feel it’s very predictable, especially with warm fresh tires.
Sounds like the rear caster might be the secret to making the car handle better. I'm just going by some of the reviews and videos I saw. Randy Pobst for example was one of them that pointed out how hard it was to control at the limit. Then again, his limit is a lot higher than mine.

It's good to hear that the Corvette stigma is diminishing, even if we don't care what others think.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:49 PM
chapmans
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 120 Posts

The later model (18, 19) Z06s also have much improved magnetic ride calibrations that seem to make the handling much more predictable from what I have read.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:59 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

Still a Chevy. LOL
Old 04-16-2019, 02:03 PM
JAhmed
Drifting

Received 1,902 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksheepSpyder
Still a Chevy. LOL
And?
Old 04-16-2019, 02:04 PM
chapmans
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksheepSpyder
Still a Chevy. LOL
There are car enthusiasts and brand ******. Enthusiasts can appreciate Porsche and Corvette for what they offer.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:03 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

Brand ****** don't exist. ****** get paid for their services. If you aren't getting paid then you're just a brand ****.

Last edited by venom51; 04-16-2019 at 04:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by venom51:
box (10-11-2019), visitador (08-03-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 04:56 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by chapmans
There are car enthusiasts and brand ******. Enthusiasts can appreciate Porsche and Corvette for what they offer.
My first car was a Ford Pinto, and looking back it never ever failed me with absolutely no maintenance on it.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:56 PM
gthal
Pro

Received 539 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by chapmans
This...

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?