Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Transmission problems...beware

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2022, 09:47 PM
Kodabear
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

As a pretty loyal BMW X3 fan I am now really re-thinking my decision to make my next vehicle a Macan GTS after reading about the transmission woes and lack of Porsche flexibility to retain loyal customers.
Old 06-22-2022, 09:44 AM
Olddragger
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

The Macan is a good design and performs well for what it is. But because of these issues with the transmission, transfer case and the timing cover oil leaks, resale is going to end up suffering. For example...I traded in a C6 ZO6 in 2017 when I got my first Macan . The engine (the LS7) in that car had a valve problem. Long story short, valves were breaking and destroying the engine. It was a factory defect in the geometry of the valve guides. Chevy did not own up to the problem. Over time people spread the word and it got to the point that you could not sell a c6 zo6 without having a recognized performance shop rework the heads to correct the problem. Who would buy it when it was a crap shot whether or not the engine would grenade itself? By the way....you could buy a LS7 engine for less than the cost of an installed new Macan transmission! At least there was a fix for it. For this transmission....there is no fix that anyone knows about? It is interesting that earlier on ...I think it was 2013...Audi choose not to place the dl501 transmission into their SQ5 model because of concerns that it could not handle the torque its engine was producing ( less than 400ft/lbs) without extensive reworking of the design. That is why the SQ5 comes with an 8 speed and a torque converter. It is unknown as to how Porsche reworked this box for the Macan.....no one can specifically identify any difference. Perhaps the software was reconfigured?
The word is going to spread...there are two other Macans now at this Atlanta dealership with transmission concerns this week. Porsche is going to have to do something or in time the Macan's resale value is going to tank.

Last edited by Olddragger; 06-22-2022 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-22-2022, 10:58 AM
VAGfan
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 191 Posts

There is a guy on the other forum, with a 2018 GTS, who has PDK issues, and claims that the Porsche dealer (Atlanta) is going to replace the Mechatronics, rather than the entire transmission.
Just had 18 GTS towed | Porsche Macan Forum

Last edited by VAGfan; 06-22-2022 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-23-2022, 04:15 AM
nemo06
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

The old seven-speed PDK is the worst automatic gearbox, in fact neither Porsche nor the other brands of the VW group mount it anymore, only the Macan.
Old 06-23-2022, 02:48 PM
97c2s993
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by VAGfan
There is a guy on the other forum, with a 2018 GTS, who has PDK issues, and claims that the Porsche dealer (Atlanta) is going to replace the Mechatronics, rather than the entire transmission.
Just had 18 GTS towed | Porsche Macan Forum
So I will jump in now too: 2018 Macan GTS with 56k miles - so just out of warranty miles-wise, but not time-wise as 4 yrs elapses only in November. Just had similar transmission issues as above. Dealer had it for over 3 weeks testing and diagnosing, and finally decision was made to replace the mechatronic. Porsche goodwilled it, likely due to how I was still in that warranty 'window' between miles and time I suppose. Had it back for over a week now and have driven it a few hundred miles with no issues.
I have a question: is this more a mechatronic issue than a transmission issue. What I mean is, the mechatronic unit alone can be swapped out/replaced (or repaired if Porsche wanted to do that), and will that not solve the issues described above? Or is the issue sometimes with transmission itself where it and the mechatronic have to be changed altogether? I ask since in my mind (and I'm a total layperson here) the mechatronic to me seems like the 'digital' part while the transmission is the 'analog' or mechanical part. Or perhaps the damage/defect in the mechatronic causes a catastrophic failure in the transmission thus requiring the replacement of both. I know you can't replace the transmission without the mechatronic because they have to be mated, but you can just replace the mechatronic. Just wondering.
Just by the way, we have a '13 Jetta Hybrid with the DSG and the mechatronic went on that as well. There was a recall with a repair for it (not full replacement), but VW went ahead and replaced the whole unit too nonetheless. So I'm 2 for 2!

P.S. I also had the timing chain cover leak issue on my Macan that I discovered myself, and it was covered at the time still under warranty.
The following users liked this post:
coquette (07-21-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 03:01 PM
VAGfan
Pro

The Mechatronic unit contains the transmission control computer, fluid pressure and temperature sensors, shaft speed sensors, and solenoid valves to control/direct hydraulic fluid to the right place and right time. It also contains the servo pistons which move the gear selector forks, and associated position sensors that tell the computer the actual mechanical position of the shift forks.

The other part of the transmission, is 99% mechanical, which contains the fluid pump, the two clutches, and a separate gearbox section which contains the dual gearboxes (which are "shifted" by the gear selector forks of the Mechtronic). The gearbox section has a few sensors in it to determine gear shaft speeds and also the sensor that is connected to the gear selector "stick", to determine what "gear" the driver has selected (PRND).

It is the Mechatronic unit which is responsible for 99% of the PDK problems. The mechanical portion of the gearbox is pretty troublefree, unless you wear-out the two clutches from abuse. Since the electronics and sensors of the Mechatronic unit are exposed to the high temperature hydraulic fluid, I think that is what is having the biggest impact to the reliability of these parts. Plus, if the fluid is not changed often enough (and I say 40,000 miles is probably too long), the heat degraded lubrication properties of the fluid accelerates the wear of the critical mechanical tolerances of the solenoid fluid control valves. Also, that Porsche does not specify the regular replacement of the second filter (the "suction" filter), inside the pan, is just silly.

I think that you can repair or exchange either section of the transmission (from a technical standpoint). There are scan-tool commands to "adapt" a Mechatronic with the particular mechanical characteristics of the clutches and gearbox.

What Porsche will do as a repair, is often different. Most manufacturers won't disassemble and repair a transmission, they typically will remove and replace the entire unit. This is not just a Porsche "thing". Similarly, most dealers won't rebuild an engine, just replace it. The dealerships don't have the time or expertise to rebuild transmissions or engines. I think Porsche is beginning to recognize the higher incidence of issues with this transmission, and might be now considering replacing the Mechatronic unit, to lower repair costs. It is easy to remove and replace, without removing the transmission from the vehicle.

And yes, the VW designed DSGs used in transverse engine vehicles also suffer from reliability issues, due to the hot fluid attacking the electronic components of the Mechatronic unit.

Last edited by VAGfan; 06-23-2022 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-23-2022, 04:08 PM
Olddragger
Instructor

That is a great post vag. If I may also add the following for the folks that no longer have a warrenty.
To answer one of the questions.... yes there are two areas to the basic transmission. The control side with all the electronics, fluid pump, internal filter, the transmission control unit, and the clutch and the mechanical side that also has a few sensors , all the gears, shafts and such. The cars power control unit...the main one that controls the engine, etc also controls the transmission. The PCM will send the appropriate signal to the transmission control unit and then the tcu will send a signal to whatever solenoid in the transmission that is needed to carry out the command. A lot of parts have to work together to make it function.

Now for folks that don't have a warrenty I have discovered the following.

1- diagnosing the specific problem ...can be a problem. Porsche controls the diagnostic software needed o do this. This software is too expensive for independant shops to have, so they end up using a cloned version. Now you have to understand that this software is revised from time to time which further impacts the ability of the cloned unit to be as good as a PIWIS 3 system. Most of the time it is, but in some cases it is not. How this transmission works is complex. Replacing parts in this transmission is really not hard at all. Making the replaced parts work can be tricky in some cases.The correct software has to available to ensure that.
2 - My dealer in Atlanta wanted over $2000.00 just to diagnose the problem. I really didnt understand that! It did not envolve removal of the mechatronic tropic unit at all. The only thing that would have been removed was the transmission pan. The rest was by using the PIWIS system and sometimes even the PIWIS cannot point directly to the problem.
3- Porsche will not sell to the general public or to garages parts need to repair the transmission. The parts have to sourced from overseas or a junk yard using used parts. Garages have to work around this anyway they can. Plus not all of the Macan's transmissions are the same. The base model is different than the S, GTS, or turbo for example. There are also differences in year models when it comes to having the correct software. It gets complicated.
4- Sometimes replacing fluid, filters and the mechatronic unit doesn't fix the problem. If it doesn't all Porsche dealers will say...new transmission. That will be over $20,000 please!
If you are lucky enough to live in an area that has some good Porsche performance shops then they will try to help. Still you are looking at thousands of dollars of cost and sometimes even then it can't be fixed.
I think Porsche made a big mistake in putting this transmission in their biggest seller. Why? Not because it is such a bad transmission....because it isn't. What is horrible is there is no support in repairing it. It is a $20,000 dollar throw a way part. That needs to change lol!. Audi has placed this transmission in many cars. Most Audi people say if you get 100,000 miles out of it, then you have a good one. In 2022 I don't think that is acceptable anymore.
I believe like Vag has suggested that it is the hot fluid being dumped from the clutches directly on the mechatronic unit AND the transmission control unit that is the beginning cause of a large majority of the problems.
I truly wish Porsche would step up and address this issue. Save the Macan! It is too good of a car to get a bad reputation.

Last edited by Olddragger; 06-23-2022 at 04:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Olddragger:
dak911 (06-24-2022), Noah Fect (06-26-2022)
Old 07-04-2022, 12:35 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,011 Likes on 1,778 Posts

@Olddragger I'm sorry about your situation. I gleaned through your post. Just wanted to drop in and say that you're absolutely right about this being an Audi product with very, very minimal tweaks in order to be able to call it PDK and make it subject to Porsche's ridiculous protocols. However, these transmissions are actually exceptional. Their only weakness, and this seems amplified in the Macan, is that excessive shifting will create a lot of heat and heat will kill the solenoids and other parts. The Macan's programing under normal mode shifts excessively to meet environmental standards and in stop-and-go traffic, that is deadly to the PDK. For those who drive in traffic, it's recommended to switch to sport or sport+ mode. Hope this helps. For reference, I know someone who had a 15 Turbo with sub 30k mi and got the same code. Dealer quoted the standard $20k. An indie fixed his for $1,500.
Old 07-04-2022, 12:06 PM
VAGfan
Pro

What do you mean "Porsche's ridiculus protocols"......certainly long-term durability is not part of those "protocols". And note, that "PDK" is just a Porsche marketing term, it really doesn't mean anything other than a double clutch transmission, which the Audi DL501 is, whether it has any tweaks by Porsche or not. Also, these DL501 transmissions fail just as much in Audi branded vehicles, there is nothing different about how they operate in a Macan.

Last edited by VAGfan; 07-04-2022 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-04-2022, 06:30 PM
Olddragger
Instructor

I am glad that your person was able to get it fixed for $1500! He must have just had to replace the circuit boards and maybe a solenoid. It was a great indie that was able to diag that and get it done. Just my luck to have the one transmission that is difficult. Lol.
I agree that heat is the biggest contributor to the problem. Running in sport mode is a wise thing to do as it does open the shutters up front and even reduces the engines oil temperature. That has to have a positive affect on transmission temps. Plus leaving the clutch fully engaged longer has to help some too. If I ever drive a Macan again it will be in sport mode all the time.
Wilder (07-05-2022)
Old 07-04-2022, 06:41 PM
Olddragger
Instructor

I will tell everyone about one last thing I/we are going to try. It is hard giving this car up without trying everything I can think off. I spoke at length with the head guy at freed performance in Atlanta, who consulted with Porsche themselves and a nationally known speed shop for pdk's close to road Atlanta. I have nothing more to lose so...even though no codes are being thrown that would indicate a problem with the TCM and the non running pressures being read by the two film pressure sensors in it were acceptable, we decided to take the 2017 TCM , have it mated to my car and install it. I theorized (lol oh no) that since it was exposed to extreme heat...hot enough to melt the circuit board....and even though we did take it apart and with a magnifying glass could not see any bubbles, cracks or discolorations, there is a small possibility that the extreme heat caused a problem to develope in the internal thermometer or the pressure sensors within the TCM that could cause this. Like I say...nothing to lose at this point. I hope by next week I will get that all completed. A friend will mate the TCM , he has the ability to do that, and I will install. Anyone want any pics of anything while I have it down? Maybe I will get lucky...who knows.
Old 07-04-2022, 09:15 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,472 Likes on 4,122 Posts

I just bought an Audi Q5 for my daughter yesterday and only looked at cars with the 6 speed and 8 speed tiptonics, eliminating the 7 speed Audi S-tronic version of PDK from my search.
Old 07-04-2022, 10:21 PM
mikebrinda
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 44 Posts

As someone waiting for delivery of their 2022 GTS I finally decided to take a look at this thread. After reading that made me curious about transmission longevity. Reading all of the above I wondered how any Macan could get to 100,000 miles without a transmission replacement. This is not a scientific survey, and I have no idea how hard or easy it is for a dealer to skip entering certain information into CARFAX. But I went to cars.com and looked up all the used Macan Turbos for sale with over 100,000 miles. Of the seven that offered a free Carfax report, two of the seven reported that the transmission had been replaced. Only one reported spark plugs replaced.
beibei650 (09-11-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 04:20 AM
BondJ
Pro

Received 329 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by mikebrinda
As someone waiting for delivery of their 2022 GTS I finally decided to take a look at this thread. After reading that made me curious about transmission longevity. Reading all of the above I wondered how any Macan could get to 100,000 miles without a transmission replacement. This is not a scientific survey, and I have no idea how hard or easy it is for a dealer to skip entering certain information into CARFAX. But I went to cars.com and looked up all the used Macan Turbos for sale with over 100,000 miles. Of the seven that offered a free Carfax report, two of the seven reported that the transmission had been replaced. Only one reported spark plugs replaced.
Not scientific but that’s about 28% failure. For me that about sums up the Porsche PDK across all models. Those that disagree are likely to be in the lucky 72%…

Old 07-05-2022, 08:27 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,011 Likes on 1,778 Posts

Originally Posted by mikebrinda
The box itself is very reliable. Breakdown is a function of how the car was driven and how the transmission was maintained. If you drive it stop-and-go traffic, drive it in sport mode. Lest shifts = less heat = reduced oil degradation. Beyond this, make sure you service the transmission at or before the recommended interval. Do this and your risk of failure will be greatly reduced. There are plenty of Macans here and in other groups/forums with 100-200k mi that have had little more than service done.

Quick Reply: Transmission problems...beware