Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Transmission problems...beware

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2022, 06:11 PM
VAGfan
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 191 Posts

Another two parts of the Mechatronics which wears out, a Pressure Regulating valve, and a Clutch Cooling Control Valve. The valve bores get worn and then the control piston gets stuck, or doesn't hold pressure properly. The bore gets reamed to a slightly larger size, then a new slightly larger diameter piston and/or O-ring is installed.

Last edited by VAGfan; 06-05-2022 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-05-2022, 08:17 PM
Olddragger
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

Thanks Vag! There are a lot of little parts in this unit that can't be seen from the outside...and these are two sites for some of them. One would think that the PIWIS system could identify what is causing this high pressure fault after the fluid heats up, but apparently it doesn't. We continue to play with it as we have the time. Sometimes I think perhaps there is a software error somewhere. When this happened I did reflash the pcm back to the Oem map. There were no codes present when I did that.
Old 06-06-2022, 09:45 PM
Olddragger
Instructor

Today I got my car to a shop that has factory level PIWIS. I was told they can start on it in a couple of days. Had a long conversation with them...seem to be be great guys.
xing fingers.
The following users liked this post:
Terry Adams (06-07-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 11:23 AM
shack993
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 125 Posts

Hello all, this is a very dense thread but I think I am experiencing similar problems to the OP.

2018 GTS with 40k miles. In the last 2 months, there have been several times where I stopped at a stop light or to let kids out at school. When I released the brake and stepped on the gas, the car either a) lurched (because it took time to apply power to the wheels) or b) stalled. I cannot remember whether I left it in drive or put it in park, I believe each time I shifted to park.

I plan on taking car to dealer this week to diagnose problem. Are their known issues relative to this problem?
Old 06-07-2022, 11:43 PM
Olddragger
Instructor

The symptom you describe certainly requires checking out. It does sound like the beginning of a problem with the transmission. You should still be under warrenty. I wouldn't waste time in getting this done. Regardless of whether or not an actual problem is found an open case can serve you well. What is happening to you may be an easy fix...may just need a recalibration, or a fluid change etc. Or it could be the mechatronics unit is not releasing the clutch as it should. Get it checked and let us know.
shack993 (06-08-2022)
Old 06-08-2022, 09:49 AM
shack993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Olddragger
The symptom you describe certainly requires checking out. It does sound like the beginning of a problem with the transmission. You should still be under warrenty. I wouldn't waste time in getting this done. Regardless of whether or not an actual problem is found an open case can serve you well. What is happening to you may be an easy fix...may just need a recalibration, or a fluid change etc. Or it could be the mechatronics unit is not releasing the clutch as it should. Get it checked and let us know.
thanks. Appointment next week.
Old 06-08-2022, 10:59 AM
shack993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Olddragger
thanks. Appointment next week.
Old 06-15-2022, 05:24 PM
Olddragger
Instructor

Ok just got the official word from the pro shop with full PIWIS 3 factory level capacity. It is not good. Basically they cannot drill down to what the real problem is. It has the same symptoms of doing fine when it is cold, but once warmed up it does a variety of things.
1 - presently stuck in first gear
2- other times only odd number gears available after warming up
3- other times only even number gears available. After warming up.
4 - high pressure fault returns.
5 - it accepts clutch adaptations etc ok.
They cannot fix it. The mechatronic pack is good, the tcu is good, all the piwis3 checks are good---basic clutch pressures, speed sensors etc check out. They do have the 22 module for the PIWIS.
The only thing I can think off that is even a possibility is the clutch.....which doesn't really make sense but is the only thing left? We will see if a base model clutch can be placed into a 2015 Turbo as that is what I have. I am so tired of this. Wish me luck!

Old 06-15-2022, 06:29 PM
VAGfan
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 191 Posts

Did they check the two spring loaded valves in the valve body, per Post #121, above?
I don't think it is the clutch.
Did anybody take the whole valve body and shift-fork servo body apart, and clean out any debris?

Last edited by VAGfan; 06-15-2022 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-16-2022, 08:27 AM
Olddragger
Instructor

No I installed a totally different complete mechatronic unit. The transmission itself was flushed well along with the cooler lines etc. My old mechatronics unit , I did break it down completly. The values you speak off were removed also. The mech unit body does have small filters build into the body itself that helps insure no debri reaches certain places.
personnally I am thinking it is the tcu k1 or k2 pressure sensors or something else in the tcu..... If we change out the transmission itself..... having to use the old tcu and the problem persists then we know for sure what it is.
It would be easier to reprogram another tcu and try that but we don't know who would do that. The dealership doesn't want to touch it.
Old 06-20-2022, 04:29 PM
Olddragger
Instructor

Well this is my last post. It seems that the transmission from a 2017 is not compatible for a 2015. The shop...which is great with full PIWIS 3 capacity told me that there are differenances in the transmission ( not the mechatronic unit) that makes it impossible to swap out. It seems Porsche made changes in the model year and in the trim levels.
I was told the only way to swap a trans is to get the same year and trim level transmission because of this. The mechatronic unit is the same...don't know about the pump or the clutch for sure. But there differences in the hookups for the transfer case etc. It is impossible to find a 2015 turbo used transmission. After all that has been done and 5 months of time, my car still after it warms up goes into limp mode. Since the dealerships will not touch it (no goodwill) and the unavailability to get a used transmission this is for me a junk car and will be selling it as such. A new transmission will be $20000 plus and I cannot afford that. I had $16000 in equity in the car. That is now gone.I owe $19000. Thanks everyone for all the help. I do hope no one else ever has to go through this.
coquette (07-21-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 04:36 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,472 Likes on 4,122 Posts

What an absolute nightmare!!!

Thanks for taking us on the journey, as painful as it was financially and in personal time.

Sorry this was the end result.
Old 06-21-2022, 07:55 AM
Olddragger
Instructor

You are welcome. It is a very ironic situation. I am 73 years old. When I bought the Macan turbo I figured it would be the last car I would ever buy. I have been driving Macan's since 2017. I have been around cars and actually racing cars for many decades. My extended family still has a dirt oval track in South Georgia. I have put in engines, trans, and diffs. I have set up suspensions, electronics and even done flood restoration on one car that had to have the entire wiring harness ....through out the entire car.... replaced. I have raced rotory engines ...those were cool. I know cars pretty well. To be faced with a unsolvable repair issue is inconceivable. But now there is one. I never thought a car manufactor would not supply the parts, for a reasonable cost, that is needed to repair your car. Well, now I know different. Porsche doesn't. The Macan is not substanable because Porsche doesn't allow you to rebuild its driveline components and the replacement cost is prohibitive. In the end as more and more people are faced with this problem the Macan may end up hurting Porsche more than it helped it. After my situation, my rather large circle of car friends will never touch one and will advise anyone they know to do the same. I truly hope no one here ever has to deal with an out of warrenty transmission problem.

Last edited by Olddragger; 06-21-2022 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-21-2022, 04:04 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 148 Likes on 121 Posts

This is not the first time PORSCHE has done things like this....Infamous IMS problem with the earlier Boxster and 911 engines, failing door "card" problem in the Boxsters, and numerous other times they FAILED TO STAND UP FOR THEIR PRODUCTS.
BUT we still buy them
Old 06-21-2022, 09:05 PM
Olddragger
Instructor

That is correct! The difference in this situation I feel is two fold: the volume of the Macan sales, and the mindset of people that purchased this SUV. The volume of sales speaks for itself, but the mindset/ expectation of people that purchased the Macan. The Macan is a family vehicle, it is not purchased because it is a sports car. I will venture to say that most that purchased a 911, or boxer / cayman have a deep interest in cars, an enthusiast of sorts. They expect the Porsche performance. In expecting that level of performance, a few " problems" are somewhat tolerated. The IMS issue was very bad and sales did suffer from it. In a way it still haunts Porsche. Now imagine the ims issue if it was 10x the volume it was? Plus rather than dealing with enthusiasts you have to deal with family's and many of them without deep pockets.. If I had a Macan in the driveway without a warrenty right now knowing what I now know, do you think I would keep it? Would anyone want to take that risk with a daily driver. I don't believe they would? It really is a sad situation. Look what Mazda did with the side port rotary engine issues they had. Porsche can't match what Mazda... a very small company...did? Stand behind what they made! Come on Porsche you can do it.....just do the right thing.

By the way I want to give a shout out to Freed Performance in Cummings Ga. They are a great shop with PIWIS 3 capacity. Stand up guys, professional but personnel. Their work bays shine and are very organized. They went above and beyond for me. Explaining, trying and showing me everything. I have been around Performance shops for more than 50 years and you will not find a better one. Freed is a great shop
coquette (07-21-2022)

Quick Reply: Transmission problems...beware