Macan 2014-Current

Transmission problems...beware

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 05:08 PM
Olddragger
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Transmission problems...beware

Hi everyone. I searched the forum to try and ensure I wasn't starting another thread on a subject already present and I didn't find one. My apology's if I missed it.
My subject is the Macans transmission problems. I did not recognize it as a PDK tansmission because it really isn't. It is a twin wet clutch design that resembles a dl501 (Audi) transmission more than anything else and that is not a bad thing. I just didn't want any confusion in naming it a PDK.
I am on my second Macan. It is a 2015 Turbo with 67K miles. It has been very well taken care off and not abused in any way. I have never owned a car ( have owned at least 32 different ones) that has left me beside the road without me causing the problem...in some way. I can no longer say that. My turbo did just that. The transmission went out. I could not drive the car at all. Long story short ..something in the mechatronic unit caused it to short ( maybe a solenoid,connector etc) and actually melted some on the plastic in th mechatronic unit. What the heck...right? I open a case with Porsche hoping for goodwill assistance....but that didn't work out. Dealership cost for the repair was out of the question $20000+) but I did find an indie that is currently working on it. This is when I discovered how Porsche controls what parts are available to the general public and what isn't. That is a different subject...an important subject but a different one. What concerns me is that this transmission is maybe a weak spot in a good car. In speaking with different people, in observing the local repair shops/dealers and then in researching a little on the internet there are more Macans having transmission problems than what one may think My indie has 3 on the lot right now and just one local dealership has 2 this week. With the miles being added and the years going by this I believe is going to be more of an issue. Macan owners really need to be aware of this situation.
Macan's are not entusiests cars..for the most part they are daily drivers. They are viewed differently than say a 911. With that in mind let me say this, if your Macan is out of warrenty ..say it is 5 or 6 years old and the transmission has a problem you are in a serious situation.No one wants to spend $20000 on a repair for a car than may be worth in the high $30k..to mid $40K. Yes maybe you can find an indie that will repair it for much less...general ball park...let's just say $5K. That's ok BUT they have to get the parts and insure they have the software to recalibrate the trans. This can take weeks! So you are without your car for a long time. I used to think Porsche was well built but now I am doubting that. The designs and performance IS good....but I am sorry...major work should not be needed in a well built car befor 100K miles...assuming it was not abused and it was maintained properly. It just shouldn't. And Porsche should make parts available for repairs.
Old 03-07-2022, 05:23 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

I'm sorry to hear your Macan has an issue and hope you get resolution quickly and it is affordable.

You can, often, get better search results using Google. You can enter site:rennlist.com Macan Transmission (where Macan Transmission is what you want to find) and this will limit the search to Rennlist only. More effective than using the Rennlist Search.

At any rate, check this thread and consider moving into that discussion.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...-thread-2.html

​​​​
The following users liked this post:
JSchilberg (07-23-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 11:42 PM
Olddragger
Instructor

Thank you ...as soon as I figure out how to do that.......

Last edited by Olddragger; 03-07-2022 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-08-2022, 12:11 AM
Gary S.
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Feel you pain. Drove nothing but VW's back in the day. Had a Quantum that went through it's original transaxle,had a new not re-manufactured installed and then had to put in a used one. The new one was equivalent to 9k today. After the used one was put in I traded it in on a new 91 5.0 Mustang. My 19 Macan is the first VW corporation vehicle I've ever owned since- thought by now they would have done better. Good Luck to you
BradB (03-09-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 08:36 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 148 Likes on 121 Posts

Just like any car these days, they are very complicated machines and as they get older ... poof... problems
After the 4 year manufacturers warranty is over...better get a continuing one,,,
Old 03-08-2022, 08:39 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,472 Likes on 4,122 Posts

You're absolutely right. The PDK transmission only with no option for manual is what kept me from buying a Macan a few years ago when it would have been the right size vehicle for my wife as a DD for kid duties. That window has passed and we no longer need one - kids are driving now. If I can't fix the car myself, I don't want to own it, so my newest vehicle in my 8 car fleet is a 2009.and don't see that changing anytime soon.
Old 03-08-2022, 10:47 AM
Olddragger
Instructor

Thanks all. Life is live and learn isn't it? As I continue in this journey and try to educate myself I am finding out that our transmission is repairable. Actually, for the competent diy person with no time constraint/ proper tools one can tackle the usual causes of transmission failure yourself. From replacing the entire mechatronic unit to rebuilding the same it is possible for one to do this at home. Much education is involved however and having the appropriate equipment/tools is mandatory. The hard part is getting the parts. For the earlier models of the Macan a PIWIS 2 can handle the resetting needed once all the hardware has been dealt with.
I am going to be installing a transmission temperature gauge in mine as I have discovered that heat is the biggest controllable issue in causing the mechatronics unit to fail. Heat has a very large affect on the transmission fluid and it can cause the fluid to become irritating for the circuitry boards/ connectors/wires and solenoids. Controlling the heat and insuring fresh fluid in the mechatronics part of our transmission can go a long way in increasing dependability. If I find occurrences in which the fluid is going past 225F I will be installing a secondary cooler. Some Audi owners have done that already. I am very lucky to have a good independant shop that doesn't mind showing me things and discussing possible causes/solutions in dealing with this. One other thing...Porsche has released a new TSB addressing owners that report transmission fault warnings in the display. Basically it says that somehow possible residue may be present in the cooling system for the transmission. Doing a complete and thorough flushing of the system and transmission is recommended as a first approach to the problem. Now how the heck did that happen Porsche? Lol...well I guess no manufactor is perfect. Stay tuned for follow up.
Old 03-08-2022, 01:27 PM
VAGfan
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 191 Posts

The Macan DSG ("PDK") is the Audi DL501 "S-Tronic" transmission introduced around 2009. It has been thru many internal revisions to address durability issues...they have just about gotten it right after around 2017...8 years of production !!
Old 03-08-2022, 02:24 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 487 Likes on 358 Posts

For an extended warranty on your Macan Turbo, a Manufactures Extension by Freedom Warranty on a 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo w/ 67k miles. $5,195 5 years / up to 125k miles, repairs accepted at all Porsche dealers in North America, covered for up to $275 in labor an hour, only $100 deductible, with 0% financing available.

My info is (855) 924-1333 or tgibson@highline-autos.com if you have any questions or would like to see an example contract.

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

The following 3 users liked this post by Highline-Autos.com:
MrMarco (03-08-2022), TikiLou (07-28-2022), Vernon Cofield (07-06-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 05:48 PM
Olddragger
Instructor

Thanks for that info...I was unaware that an extended warrenty for my car was available.
Old 03-08-2022, 07:02 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 136 Likes on 106 Posts

I bought mine new in September 2018. It has ~48600 miles on it as of today. Very soon the warranty will expire. To try and safeguard against getting killed by a Porsche-sold warranty or some extended warranty company, I threw in with Geico's MBI Plan days after I titled my Macan. I've already been with Geico on and off since 1977. But I've been with them currently for the last 6-7 years now. Payments are locked in at about $22/mo. The plan will stay in effect until 6 years or 100,000 miles. Is there a deductible? Yeah. I'm sure.

One thing I do remember before I signed up: I called them and talked to a live body. Did Geico cover the TCC leak repair? Yes, they did. Did they fully understand the engine must get dropped? Yes, they did. I signed... The full price should I stay with my Macan for 6 years or 100,000 miles? 22x12x6=$1,584.00.
Vernon Cofield (07-06-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 08:23 PM
Olddragger
Instructor

Wish I had done that. I do advise all that want to buy a Macan...either do that, had a great indie available, or keep a great line of credit. Perhaps Porsche will at some point realize that those of us that buy a Macan are of a different mind set than those of us that buy the true Porsche performance vehicles. Perhaps not...guess time will tell. I do wish and hope that the right to repair bill passes with enough teeth to hold manufactors accountable.
Not going to let this situation take control over me or anything, just going to do what I can and inform those that are interested of what problems I have had and seen. This transmission is not a bad transmission....I just don't get why Porsche thinks it is not repairable and doesn't make parts available. It can't be money unless there are a lot of failing transmissions out there.
Wouldn't you know that The war in Ukraine (a very serious thing) is disrupting a source for the mechatronic unit.... just my luck. Indie is resourcing another supplier out of Miami...just have to wait and ride my electric bike lol
Old 03-08-2022, 09:56 PM
MrMarco
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 83 Posts

Holy cow, didn't expect to see a tranny fail post on the forum. Sad News. Bought a B2B extended warranty from Allstate and have the recommended transmission service scheduled for Monday. Best of luck OP and let's hope this is a rare occurrence.
Old 03-09-2022, 12:22 PM
hammergjh
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

We bought an extended warranty for our Macan right from the dealer. Good at any Porsche dealer in the country. Covers just about everything I believe. Extends the warranty out to 6 years and 72,000 miles for $4,000. We won't hit that milage limit. It's insurance so it's always a gamble on whether it pays off.
Old 03-09-2022, 12:30 PM
Olddragger
Instructor

Y'all are the smart ones! I will not make this same mistake again. When I bought mine I was confident that I could repair just about anything on the car if I had too. Wasn't expecting this at such low mileage. I was wrong lol.

Quick Reply: Transmission problems...beware