RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,472 Likes on 4,122 Posts

🤞 we're all pulling for you!
Old 08-02-2022, 10:54 AM
Olddragger
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

The second drive revealed that a calibration is needed. In 4 th gear only during vigorous acceleration there is a little clutch slippage. Other than that, so far so good!
Continue to x fingers. Will be contacting garage for calibration, or possibily doing an adaptation drive first.
I am not going to say it is fixed yet...but still cautiously optimistic.

Last edited by Olddragger; 08-02-2022 at 10:57 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Olddragger:
TRINITONY (08-02-2022), Van Larson (08-02-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 01:58 PM
Olddragger
Instructor

3nd drive today.....even better! Drove for at least 15 miles in surburbin traffic in normal and sport mode. No clutch slippage with normal driving. No issues at all. Unless something unexpected happens I am considering this repair as successful!
It has been a long journey and one in which I could not have done alone. Much appreciation to all the members who offered advice, information, guidance and support. I can't thank you enough. We have learned a tremendous amount about this transmission and how Porsche does not support their customers or independents once out of warranty.
This is not a bad transmission at all, I just continue to be in amazement that Porsche treats it like a $20K throwaway and people don't complain about it.
Thanks again everyone!
Now to close this journey by selling it. Carvanta, once it passes their inspection has offered $33,000. I will take it , but it has to pass their assessment first.

Last edited by Olddragger; 08-02-2022 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08-02-2022, 02:03 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

See what CarMax will give you for it. They have an excellent MaxCare warranty that will protect the next buyer if the repair proves to be short lived.
Old 08-02-2022, 02:16 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

I wouldn't sell it unless you need the money in a hurry. You OWN this car now, in a way none of the rest of us do.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:16 PM
Olddragger
Instructor

Thanks for the tip about car max...I will check it out. This is my first time in doing something like this so all wisdom appreciated.
Noah...Love that " I own it now!" That does, in a way make some sense. I don't have to have the money now, but I don't think I can trust it any longer. There are still many things that could happen to it.
I bought it in mid 2020 with 52000 miles on it. Since then I have put 15000 miles on it and this is what I have had to do on my dime
1-replace windshield..Macans windshield to thin to repair and had one of those famous rock chips. Tried to repair but it just spread.Insurance $500 deductable
2- oil pressure sensor went out
3- both exhaust flex pipes
4- both air oil separators
5- transfer case...under warranty
6- transmission adventure.
plus usual maintainance.
Too tell the truth I am very sad about selling it, I truly like this car. But, enough is enough and I know enough about it now to realize there are plenty of things left that can go wrong.

Old 08-10-2022, 12:51 PM
VAGfan
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 191 Posts

Any updates to this?
Old 08-10-2022, 08:31 PM
wpw3
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

golly, that was great advice for searching the rennlist for previous threads on a certain topic. It is so much more accurate and informative to search rennlist that way.

Sergey, is that you?

btw my 993 is being restored in Ball Ground GA.
Old 08-13-2022, 07:07 PM
Olddragger
Instructor

The car has been sold. My repair seemed to have worked, no codes and it drove well for extended distances. So I sold it.
It did not have any more clutch slipage after driving it some. No one still has been able to tell me what caused that circuit board to "melt", the clutch fluid cannot get that hot and it surely wasnt electrical....the tcu was fine and it controls how much voltage is used.

Last edited by Olddragger; 08-13-2022 at 07:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
coquette (09-21-2022)
Old 08-13-2022, 07:46 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Olddragger
The car has been sold. My repair seemed to have worked, no codes and it drove well for extended distances. So I sold it.
It did not have any more clutch slipage after driving it some. No one still has been able to tell me what caused that circuit board to "melt", the clutch fluid cannot get that hot and it surely wasnt electrical....the tcu was fine and it controls how much voltage is used.
Congrats on freeing yourself of that and also on maybe getting it fixed. Hope it sold to a place that will offer a warranty to the next owner.
Old 08-25-2022, 10:34 AM
Olddragger
Instructor

It is a dealership that has extended warranty available. Full disclosure was given to the dealer and the car was checked before purschased. I truly could not sell a car knowing for a fact that something was fundamentally wrong. My mind would awfulize scenarios and I would not be able to look at myself in the mirror. I really miss driving the Macan turbo and I have not been able to find anything that checks as many of my boxes as it did. For the first time in my 73 years here on earth....I am truly puzzled. Been a car guy all my life, built and raced many. The Macan turbo is a special beast. Not in any one catorgory, but it is just the accumulation of feelings when you sit in its cockpit, the steering wheel is perfect, the engine note on startup, the responsiveness of its chassis even though it is heavy, the classic wide style, it's utility and so forth. It was the perfect car for me and I planned on it being my last daily driver ever. That was taken away as I just cannot understand or accept the way Porsche treats it's customers once the car is out of warranty. Therefore my conflict! I am fighting this. Perhaps get another and buy an extended warranty? Would that be worth it? I suppose it is all relative. Sigh.......
Old 08-25-2022, 10:46 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Olddragger
It is a dealership that has extended warranty available. Full disclosure was given to the dealer and the car was checked before purschased. I truly could not sell a car knowing for a fact that something was fundamentally wrong. My mind would awfulize scenarios and I would not be able to look at myself in the mirror. I really miss driving the Macan turbo and I have not been able to find anything that checks as many of my boxes as it did. For the first time in my 73 years here on earth....I am truly puzzled. Been a car guy all my life, built and raced many. The Macan turbo is a special beast. Not in any one catorgory, but it is just the accumulation of feelings when you sit in its cockpit, the steering wheel is perfect, the engine note on startup, the responsiveness of its chassis even though it is heavy, the classic wide style, it's utility and so forth. It was the perfect car for me and I planned on it being my last daily driver ever. That was taken away as I just cannot understand or accept the way Porsche treats it's customers once the car is out of warranty. Therefore my conflict! I am fighting this. Perhaps get another and buy an extended warranty? Would that be worth it? I suppose it is all relative. Sigh.......
Look into one of the upper end Audi Q5s (SQ5, RSQ5) that have either the 6-speed or 8-speed Tiptronic Transmission and not the 7-speed S-Tronic, which is the same as the PDK. If you find one before the 2017 facelift, you get the much more integrated screen into the center console with more buttons and switches and less touch vs the newer huge screen plopped on-top of the dash.

That should give you almost the same car, but without the troublesome transmission.
Old 08-25-2022, 05:48 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Another possibility: buy the Audi as Petza914 suggests, and work your own magic to bring it up to the Macan level.

Someone with the mechanical aptitude to go toe-to-toe with a PDK does not need to rely on Porsche to tune and optimize a car's performance and handling.
Old 08-25-2022, 06:24 PM
VAGfan
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 191 Posts

Noah: Not a bad idea, buy an Audi SQ5 with AS, add some aftermarket swaybars, some decent summer performance tires, and Olddragger would be good-to-go. The SQ5 has the ZF 8-speed conventional automatic, that is bulletproof compared to the PDK, and if it breaks, can be more easily serviced at more places than only an Audi dealer. You could even tune the 3.0 turbo for some added "GTS-like" power. The SQ5 is as close as you can get to a Macan. The biggest downside of the SQ5 is that you can't do much to fix the numb (er) steering versus a Macan.

Last edited by VAGfan; 08-25-2022 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-26-2022, 05:31 AM
Olddragger
Instructor

Lol funny y'all made the sq5 suggestion as my wife and I are test driving one this weekend! Great minds think alike🙂

Quick Reply: Transmission problems...beware