Macan 2014-Current

(Hopefully) Constructive "things you don't like/hate about your Macan" thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 11:56 AM
peterp
Drifting

Received 737 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
That said mine warms up pretty quickly regardless of the temp thus far.
Interesting to hear. Which model do you have? Both our Q5 and Macan (both 2.0t) took a very long time to warm up and for the heater to heat -- sport mode the first few miles made a big difference (the engine feels a lot happier too, at least when it's really cold (20ish degrees F)).
Old 01-29-2020, 12:52 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,299 Likes on 1,366 Posts

No issues with it warming up and TOWMBO who criticized the heated steering wheel as a waste of money, has in the past few -40sF/C days benn very grateful. Hasn't quite said it was worth the money though

siberian

The best long distance runner eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow
Old 01-30-2020, 12:44 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

2 weeks in, don't "hate" anything. After I got over:

--majority of PCM / Porsche services are useless if you have car play
--disappointed you can't put other carplay items on the right side of the display or allow it to use the full display, and the limited widgets that are useful in that spot
--the car is too quiet (exhaust note)
--mileage kinda sucks on the S, but knew that would be the case

The car drives amazing, wife loves it.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:45 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
Very true... My 2018 Panamera has a spray nozzle to clean the camera lens when you wash the rear window. It's too bad that this isn't standard (or at least an option) in the Macan, even now -- no excuse for such an important safety feature that is required by law to be on all new cars.
So, there is a little hole next to the camera lens that had some washer fluid smell to it. We sure the 2020 Macan doesn't have a washer there? We have surround view...

Old 01-30-2020, 09:56 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 388 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
Interesting to hear. Which model do you have? Both our Q5 and Macan (both 2.0t) took a very long time to warm up and for the heater to heat -- sport mode the first few miles made a big difference (the engine feels a lot happier too, at least when it's really cold (20ish degrees F)).
2018 Turbo w/ PP
Old 01-30-2020, 10:04 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Spyerx, it comes with surround view I believe

siberian

Old 02-01-2020, 10:13 PM
border
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My (miniscule) gripes

I love nearly everything about my 2016 turbo that I bought with 13k (now have 41k after 14 months). I have driven it in nearly every possible condition- 80 miles of black ice, 80mph winds (at speed), 11,000 ft elevation, 250 miles averaging 115, near the limits on countless corners, etc. It is incredibly confidence inspiring, supremely comfortable, the power is exhilarating, and the Burmester (and the jukebox that seems to hold an infinite number of tracks) has thankfully reacquainted me with music because it sounds so good! My nitpicks are annoying because I know these features exist in the VW family. The sun visors in my gti and my wife’s Q5 were made to extend- incredibly useful when the sun is just in the wrong place. Simple, inexpensive and a safety feature. The other thing that would be helpful is a washer for the camera lenses ( I have the surround version) that would be automatically activated when shifting into reverse say. Not as simple, but doable and would make the cameras much more useful. I think my only other issue with the car is the stub key. Seems to me that it would invite a (not well Porsche versed) neer do well to break in because the key in the ignition looks like the car would be ready to go...

Last edited by border; 02-01-2020 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 02-02-2020, 01:07 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by border
The sun visors in my gti and my wife’s Q5 were made to extend- incredibly useful when the sun is just in the wrong place. Simple, inexpensive and a safety feature. The other thing that would be helpful is a washer for the camera lenses ( I have the surround version) that would be automatically activated when shifting into reverse say. Not as simple, but doable and would make the cameras much more useful. I think my only other issue with the car is the stub key. Seems to me that it would invite a (not well Porsche versed) neer do well to break in because the key in the ignition looks like the car would be ready to go...
I agree with you on all these. As I've said, my Panamera has the washer for the rear camera, which should be standard on all cars because those camera lenses are so problematical due to their location in terms of getting water and grime on them. Visors also are cheap to make much more useful, and really cheap brands manage to do it standard; heck, I'll even take it as an option in Porsches! I don't like "lazy entry" myself, so I opted out of that on my Macan, so there's no "dummy key", and it gives me a place to keep my key when driving (and I never forget my key fob in my Macan for that reason, like I always have problems with in my 2018 Panamera that has "lazy entry" standard with the dummy key in the ignition slot).
Old 02-02-2020, 01:11 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I love nearly everything about my 2016 turbo that I bought with 13k (now have 41k after 14 months). I have driven it in nearly every possible condition- 80 miles of black ice, 80mph winds (at speed), 11,000 ft elevation, 250 miles averaging 115, near the limits on countless corners, etc. It is incredibly confidence inspiring, supremely comfortable, the power is exhilarating, and the Burmester (and the jukebox that seems to hold an infinite number of tracks) has thankfully reacquainted me with music because it sounds so good! My nitpicks are annoying because I know these features exist in the VW family. The sun visors in my gti and my wife’s Q5 were made to extend- incredibly useful when the sun is just in the wrong place. Simple, inexpensive and a safety feature. The other thing that would be helpful is a washer for the camera lenses ( I have the surround version) that would be automatically activated when shifting into reverse say. Not as simple, but doable and would make the cameras much more useful. I think my only other issue with the car is the stub key. Seems to me that it would invite a (not well Porsche versed) neer do well to break in because the key in the ignition looks like the car would be ready to go...
First thing I tried to do is swap the silly little sun shades for the ones in my Touareg. Alas, the Porsche engineers have me foiled as they changed the roof layout and made sure the little sun shades are so small that there is no real way of getting the Touareg ones to fit; I'm still looking for a way to do this... As to the rear camera, it's emplacement makes it useless as it's constantly covered with ice,snow or dirt. Should be above the third brake light.

siberian

The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow
Old 02-03-2020, 01:46 AM
border
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgot to mention that the gti had such a clever rear view camera embodied in the VW logo- it pivoted when reverse was selected and exposed the lens, otherwise kept the lens protected from road grime when driving. Also served as the hatch release. Almost never required cleaning. Quite a brilliant piece of design.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:49 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Ahh the many things my 2008 V8 Touareg has that my 2020 Macan doesn't... rear locking diff, tows 7,700 pounds, double sun visor, hatch mounted full spare...the only thing it's missing is a 7speed DSG; the 6 speed is a nightmare when towing.

siberian

The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow
Old 02-03-2020, 07:06 AM
alanek
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
Spyerx, it comes with surround view I believe

siberian

I have surround view. If you turn on the rear view camera and wash the rear window you can see the spray.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:57 AM
alanek
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Forgot to mention that the gti had such a clever rear view camera embodied in the VW logo- it pivoted when reverse was selected and exposed the lens, otherwise kept the lens protected from road grime when driving. Also served as the hatch release. Almost never required cleaning. Quite a brilliant piece of design.
My Mercedes has the same design.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:10 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 182 Posts

We really like our '18 Macan SE. The only issue is the difficulty modulating the brakes at low speed. They tend to grab suddenly after some dead pedal travel while parking. Minor issue in an otherwise great car.
The following users liked this post:
Straya (01-20-2024)
Old 02-06-2020, 09:02 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
We really like our '18 Macan SE. The only issue is the difficulty modulating the brakes at low speed. They tend to grab suddenly after some dead pedal travel while parking. Minor issue in an otherwise great car.
Yes I noticed that with our 2019 also....grabby brakes at very slow speed...

Quick Reply: (Hopefully) Constructive "things you don't like/hate about your Macan" thread