Notices
Macan 2014-Current

(Hopefully) Constructive "things you don't like/hate about your Macan" thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 12:55 PM
peterp
Drifting

Received 737 Likes on 446 Posts
Default (Hopefully) Constructive "things you don't like/hate about your Macan" thread

I'd like for RL members to post what they dislike about their Macan. The goal of the thread is NOT to trash Porsche, but to voice what we don't like and then hopefully for others to chime in and advise how to solve the issues identified.

I'll start. We love, love, love our Macan -- best DD we've owned by far. That said, there are some things we don't like. The most frustrating one happened early this morning. It was snowing outside, and my wife was late for a meeting, so I took her keys while she was getting ready, started the Macan, cleaned the snow, turned on the defrosters, heated the seats, etc -- so the car was ready to drive off when she came out. She hopped in and took off, and all was well until she was about 3 miles away, then she gets a warning that there were no keys in the car.

Yes, her keys were still in my pocket. Yes, it is my fault for not thinking to leave the keys in the car, but that mistake is very easy to make with keyless. She had to drive back 3 miles, in the snow, so I could hand her the keys, making her even later. She was not happy (to say the least). I was not happy (to say the least). Shouldn't the Macan issue an alert as soon as the key is a few feet out of range?
Old 12-02-2019, 01:16 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

The PCM in the 2019+.

If I could do it over again I'd get the 14-way seats rather than the 18-way. 18-ways are great in the 911/Boxster/Cayman. Not so much in the Macan.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:30 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,299 Likes on 1,366 Posts

The nickle and dimeing of services in Porsche connect, the dissemination of personal information to third parties under the guise of "enhancing" your fahrvergnugung none of which have anything to do with driving a Porsche and are just an additional revenue stream at the owner's expense and loss of privacy. Personally will not activate this.

siberian

The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow
The following 2 users liked this post by siberian:
ByByBMW (11-29-2023), sonicworld (12-28-2019)
Old 12-02-2019, 01:58 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 388 Likes on 216 Posts

Maybe the key warning times out? It typically shows as soon as I get out of the car with the key in my pocket and the car is still running.

I've had mine since May. The only thing that has bothered me thus far was the inconsistency of the Car Play. I have had times where it wouldn't connect right until the car was turned off and sat for a while and restarted. I do really like the Macan. Porsches are well put together and the Macan doesn't handle like an SUV. Just need to get the winter tires delivered and on the car so I can see how it handles the snow.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:09 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,138 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
Shouldn't the Macan issue an alert as soon as the key is a few feet out of range?
Good one. My son's Mazda3 does this. Step outside the car and shut the door with the keys in your pocket and it screams at you.

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
The PCM in the 2019+.

If I could do it over again I'd get the 14-way seats rather than the 18-way. 18-ways are great in the 911/Boxster/Cayman. Not so much in the Macan.
Only thing I'll agree on with the PCM is the lack of the physical skip track button. That sucks. Everything else about the PCM is great- as long as you have an understanding that it's a complicated piece of software that not only has to be intuitive to the lowest common denominator, but has to integrate with dozens of third party APIs in order to do so. If your expectations are unreasonable in this department, you'll never be happy with anything. I think Porsche did about as good a job as anyone could have, considering the circumstances.

I get what you're saying about the 18-ways, they can take a little getting used to with the bolsters. But coming from the 14-ways in my previous Macan, no way. These seats change everything. They're so much better.

As far as things I don't like- I have to really stretch to think of anything... but I also did just pick mine up a week ago today. But if we're nitpicking, the PDK feels a bit less fluid than it did in my 2015. I'll also mention that I have an expectation that over time this will improve. Mine has a touch over 700 miles on it at this moment.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:10 PM
peterp
Drifting

Originally Posted by mwar99
Maybe the key warning times out? It typically shows as soon as I get out of the car with the key in my pocket and the car is still running.
It's possible the warning timed out. I didn't see any warning at all, but I was mostly outside the car except when I reached in to turn on the defrosters/seat heater. Still, the Macan should definitely be smart enough to reissue an obvious ongoing audible warning as soon as you take it out of park and drive off because that is 100% certain to end in disaster. Talking to her now, I don't think it ever made any audible warning, it just had a message about the key on the dashboard that she happened to notice just before she got on the highway. Fortunately, she was able to drive it back home and get the keys. If she had stopped someplace, that would have been a million times worse because she would have been stranded (while it was snowing, just to add to the fun ).
Old 12-02-2019, 03:52 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Only thing I'll agree on with the PCM is the lack of the physical skip track button. That sucks.
Yeah. That would resolve the issue with needing to fiddle with CarPlay when Waze is displayed and you want to skip a Spotify song.

Everything else about the PCM is great- as long as you have an understanding that it's a complicated piece of software that not only has to be intuitive to the lowest common denominator, but has to integrate with dozens of third party APIs in order to do so. If your expectations are unreasonable in this department, you'll never be happy with anything. I think Porsche did about as good a job as anyone could have, considering the circumstances.
I disagree with this. In my 991.2 (and other cars with that gen PCM) it is perfectly easy to cycle through Favorites without thinking about it, your eyes leaving the road, or your hands leaving the steering wheel. Just press the steering wheel joker button. Removing that functionality in the newer PCM is ludicrous. Sure, you can use a voice command to switch stations, but it is unwieldy and super slow.

But if we're nitpicking, the PDK feels a bit less fluid than it did in my 2015. I'll also mention that I have an expectation that over time this will improve. Mine has a touch over 700 miles on it at this moment.
It will. Noticed ours getting better around 1,500 miles. At over 2,000 miles now and I don't even think about it. My buddy said the same thing happened with his 992.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:00 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 233 Posts

I'd like for RL members to post what they dislike about their Macan. The goal of the thread is NOT to trash Porsche, but to voice what we don't like and then hopefully for others to chime in and advise how to solve the issues identified.

I'll start. We love, love, love our Macan -- best DD we've owned by far. That said, there are some things we don't like. The most frustrating one happened early this morning. It was snowing outside, and my wife was late for a meeting, so I took her keys while she was getting ready, started the Macan, cleaned the snow, turned on the defrosters, heated the seats, etc -- so the car was ready to drive off when she came out. She hopped in and took off, and all was well until she was about 3 miles away, then she gets a warning that there were no keys in the car.

Yes, her keys were still in my pocket. Yes, it is my fault for not thinking to leave the keys in the car, but that mistake is very easy to make with keyless. She had to drive back 3 miles, in the snow, so I could hand her the keys, making her even later. She was not happy (to say the least). I was not happy (to say the least). Shouldn't the Macan issue an alert as soon as the key is a few feet out of range?
The wife and I have done the same thing in the 2014 991. The we specced our 2019 Macan S, we left off the keyless option. Bit more of a pain but worth not forgetting the keys.
The following users liked this post:
peterp (12-02-2019)
Old 12-02-2019, 04:02 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 120 Posts

On our 2019 the GOOGLE system for the NAV is the best of any car we've had recently...BMW ore M/B...
Old 12-02-2019, 07:26 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99

I've had mine since May. The only thing that has bothered me thus far was the inconsistency of the Car Play. I have had times where it wouldn't connect right until the car was turned off and sat for a while and restarted.
I run into this and was told by the dealer that it's an Apple issue that can't be addressed by them. Is everyone else hearing the same thing?

Also, if CarPlay doesn't connect, shut off the engine and then use the remote to arm the alarm. Re-start the car and all should be good. No need to sit there and wait, IME.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:50 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Love my 2016 Macan S. Best all around companion to a 911 ever!

That said, I have never figured out why my phone sometimes transmits over the PCS and sometimes does not (Waze or Google Maps/Apple Maps) navigation instructions. Is there some order for turning things on?

Old 12-02-2019, 09:58 PM
peterp
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
The wife and I have done the same thing in the 2014 991. The we specced our 2019 Macan S, we left off the keyless option. Bit more of a pain but worth not forgetting the keys.
Misery loves company! I think that on the Macan it is possible to remove the dummy key in the keyless to force it back to requiring a key. I read that somewhere on RL, but have not confirmed it yet. I know when I picked up the car from the dealer, the sales guy installed the dummy key, but I didn't think to ask about removing it again. I can't decide whether I will do that (assuming it is possible).

I've tried to avoid keyless out of concern about something like this happening, but I assumed I was "overthinking it" and that it couldn't possibly happen in real life. I guess I was wrong.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:39 AM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 223 Posts

Good one. My son's Mazda3 does this. Step outside the car and shut the door with the keys in your pocket and it screams at you.

Only thing I'll agree on with the PCM is the lack of the physical skip track button. That sucks. Everything else about the PCM is great- as long as you have an understanding that it's a complicated piece of software that not only has to be intuitive to the lowest common denominator, but has to integrate with dozens of third party APIs in order to do so. If your expectations are unreasonable in this department, you'll never be happy with anything. I think Porsche did about as good a job as anyone could have, considering the circumstances.
FWIW, I program the spare button on the multifunction steering wheel for track skipping.
The following users liked this post:
sonicworld (12-28-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 07:39 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,353 Likes on 824 Posts

Misery loves company! I think that on the Macan it is possible to remove the dummy key in the keyless to force it back to requiring a key. I read that somewhere on RL, but have not confirmed it yet. I know when I picked up the car from the dealer, the sales guy installed the dummy key, but I didn't think to ask about removing it again. I can't decide whether I will do that (assuming it is possible).

I've tried to avoid keyless out of concern about something like this happening, but I assumed I was "overthinking it" and that it couldn't possibly happen in real life. I guess I was wrong.
My SA told me that you turn the dummy 3x to the ACC position and after the last time 1x to left and it should remove. Haven't tried it. YMMV
Old 12-03-2019, 09:59 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OliverK68
FWIW, I program the spare button on the multifunction steering wheel for track skipping.
And that worked great until the 2019s when they neutered its functionality.

Quick Reply: (Hopefully) Constructive "things you don't like/hate about your Macan" thread