Macan 2014-Current

(Hopefully) Constructive "things you don't like/hate about your Macan" thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 09:04 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 378 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Doesn't have to be with SiriusXM. Can be regular radio too. The Favorites list covers both.

Thanks!
Okay, I stand corrected. The joker button does not work with CarPlay.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:24 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
Maybe the key warning times out? It typically shows as soon as I get out of the car with the key in my pocket and the car is still running.

I've had mine since May. The only thing that has bothered me thus far was the inconsistency of the Car Play. I have had times where it wouldn't connect right until the car was turned off and sat for a while and restarted. I do really like the Macan. Porsches are well put together and the Macan doesn't handle like an SUV. Just need to get the winter tires delivered and on the car so I can see how it handles the snow.
Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I run into this and was told by the dealer that it's an Apple issue that can't be addressed by them. Is everyone else hearing the same thing?

Also, if CarPlay doesn't connect, shut off the engine and then use the remote to arm the alarm. Re-start the car and all should be good. No need to sit there and wait, IME.
If you are having problems with CarPlay connecting, check your cable. CarPlay is really picky with the cable. I've run into this before and replacing the cable. I've had the issue on my F150 and in the GT3 and Macan. The lighting cables can develop what looks like tan spots or kinks, these are area's the cable is broken down inside and actually heating up or if the installation is broken on the cable. The cable may work for charging and iPod functions but will not work reliably with CarPlay. If it's a 3rd party cable make sure it's an MFI approved cable, some of the knock off cables may not meet the specs.

Old 12-04-2019, 07:27 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 320 Posts

Todd, thanks as always for your techspertise.

My lightning cable is good; damn CarPlay is just glitchy as hell at times. I can use a brand-new cable and no-dice. However, if I kill the engine and arm the alarm, it resets something and re-enables CarPlay.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:22 PM
rpetty3
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The PCM in the 2019+.

If I could do it over again I'd get the 14-way seats rather than the 18-way. 18-ways are great in the 911/Boxster/Cayman. Not so much in the Macan.
what he said. 14 ways
The following users liked this post:
alanek (12-05-2019)
Old 12-05-2019, 11:35 AM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Settingd

Originally Posted by Van Larson
Ok. Will try and advise. Thanks.
on my ‘18 Turbo, under “settings, I do not show a sub setting for “individual”. ??
Old 12-05-2019, 01:19 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't own a macan in my lineup, but was a huge fan of the vehicle and always enjoyed driving them from the service loaner fleet. Always considered getting one when my kids are older and I don't need the extra room in the cayenne. This critique may be irrelevant as I would likely get a GTS or Turbo trim, but I have to say the move to the 4 cylinder in the base model is a real downer for me. That base engine is a soulless piece of **** that has rendered the things pretty much more expensive Rav 4's. hate the move.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:29 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Unless you have Sport Chrono you have to reset those each time.

With Sport Chrono you gain Individual mode. This allows you to customize those settings and select them with a dial selector on the steering wheel. So a single quarter turn of one dial rather than multiple button presses.
Can this be done in a 2018 model with sport chrono?

The PCM in the 2019+.

If I could do it over again I'd get the 14-way seats rather than the 18-way. 18-ways are great in the 911/Boxster/Cayman. Not so much in the Macan.
IIRC, many of the people on Macan Forum seem to really value the 18 ways, so maybe trends are changing. When I tried them, I thought they were just too much for a daily driver/semi daily driver and felt the 14 ways were just fine for me. My SO also didn't like the 18 way seats and preferred the 14s.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:42 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Can this be done in a 2018 model with sport chrono?
No.

Looks like the Macans prior to 2019 did not have the updated Sport Chrono hardware and software.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:44 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Van Larson
Pix worth many words. Can’t “get the protocol” from owner’s manual and trust me, I’ve tried. Appreciation in advance. Ty.
If yours is 2015-2018 it does not have the functionality even with Sport Chrono. Sorry!
Old 12-05-2019, 03:20 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

No.

Looks like the Macans prior to 2019 did not have the updated Sport Chrono hardware and software.
Thanks! Was wondering if I had missed the instructions in the manual.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:43 PM
missmy993
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

No oil dipstick
After opening the hood you must drive 6 miles or so to get oil reading.
sensors go off around fords
auto brake kicks in when backing up sometimes
Old 12-05-2019, 05:09 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 378 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by blk on blk
I don't own a macan in my lineup, but was a huge fan of the vehicle and always enjoyed driving them from the service loaner fleet. Always considered getting one when my kids are older and I don't need the extra room in the cayenne. This critique may be irrelevant as I would likely get a GTS or Turbo trim, but I have to say the move to the 4 cylinder in the base model is a real downer for me. That base engine is a soulless piece of **** that has rendered the things pretty much more expensive Rav 4's. hate the move.
The base Macan and the Rav 4 couldn’t be further apart on the spectrum.

I had a ‘19 RAV4 for a week recently. The twitchy, non-linear steering made for abrupt lane changing. A low rpm flat spot caused engine to seemingly die, then lurch forward when accelerating from a stop or near stop. Not even Toyota’s version of a sport mode could diminish these behaviours.

The handling in the base Macan is what I have come to expect of a Porsche: Precise, linear, and unflappable. And the four cyl suits me just fine.

YMMV
The following 4 users liked this post by OliverK68:
ByByBMW (11-29-2023), Nate Johnson (04-06-2020), peterp (12-09-2019), quallzone (04-11-2024)
Old 12-09-2019, 02:08 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 666 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by blk on blk
Have you actually driven a base Macan? The 2.0t has a lot of low-end torque and, when combined with the instant reaction of the PDK, it is always responsive and surprisingly quick when you put your foot into it. Horsepower junkies should get a Turbo or S, but for a DD, the base is more than competent (at least for me).

As for the Rav4, the Macan Base has 273 ft-lbs of torque at 1600 RPM, the Rav4 peaks at only 184 ft-lbs and doesn't hit that until 5000 RPM. The engines are nothing alike. The Macan Base does 0-60 in 6.1 seconds, the Rav4 does it in 8 seconds. In everyday driving the difference in responsiveness is probably even more profound than the 0-60 difference because of the advantage of PDK versus automatic.

This is my second car with the 2.0t and I've loved both of them. In my prior Audi, I test drove the 2.0t and the 3.0 6-cylinder, and I actually preferred the 2.0t because it had more low-end torque than the 6 (it wasn't as smooth as the 6 though).
ByByBMW (11-29-2023)
Old 12-09-2019, 02:17 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 666 Likes on 408 Posts

I don't like the separated temperature controls on both extreme sides the console. You have to look down too far to see it, then look even farther to the other side of console to see the passenger side and it's inconvenient to sync temperatures. It also takes a long time to click up temperatures. The Q5 had temp controls on the dash side-by-side where it was easy to the settings for both sides, you could adjust the temp quickly with the ****, it was easy to sync, and easy to put into "auto" mode (on the Macan you have look down to see if Auto is lit to see if it is Auto mode). The Macan controls are a really bad design in my opinion, and even unsafe, because you have to look so far down to see the temp setting.

I also don't like that when you raise the temperature until it hits "High", it takes itself out of auto mode, then if you hit the "Auto" button, it goes to 72 degrees, which is not what you want in Winter. I did figure out that if you lower the temperature 1 degree down to take it out of "High", it goes back to auto mode, but I think it would make a lot more sense just to stay in "Auto" mode when you set it to high (which is a daily ritual in Winter).
Old 12-09-2019, 02:58 PM
smohr33
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
You have to look down too far to see it, then look even farther to the other side of console to see the passenger side and it's inconvenient to sync temperatures.
You are aware there is a SYNC button? Not sure how it can be considered inconvenient, its literally a single push of a button.
ByByBMW (11-29-2023)

Quick Reply: (Hopefully) Constructive "things you don't like/hate about your Macan" thread