Macan 2014-Current

(Hopefully) Constructive "things you don't like/hate about your Macan" thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 03:13 PM
peterp
Drifting

Received 737 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by smohr33
You are aware there is a SYNC button? Not sure how it can be considered inconvenient, its literally a single push of a button.
I'm aware of all the buttons, it's just that you have to look straight down to hit any of them, or to see if it's synced, or to see if the climate control is in auto, or to see the temperatures, or to click up the temperature one-by-one. When the climate control is on the dash, you can do almost everything by feel and with a quick turn of a **** -- and when you need to look the status, everything is right in front of you instead of requiring that you stare straight down at the console to find all the buttons and then to see if the "Auto" LED (for example) is lit and then to click up to the temperature you want.

Syncing isn't difficult, finding the sync button while driving is difficult (unless your are parked and can safely look down).
The following users liked this post:
dak911 (12-22-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 03:31 PM
smohr33
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
I'm aware of all the buttons, it's just that you have to look straight down to hit any of them, or to see if it's synced, or to see if the climate control is in auto, or to see the temperatures, or to click up the temperature one-by-one. When the climate control is on the dash, you can do almost everything by feel and with a quick turn of a **** -- and when you need to look the status, everything is right in front of you instead of requiring that you stare straight down at the console to find all the buttons and then to see if the "Auto" LED (for example) is lit and then to click up to the temperature you want.

Syncing isn't difficult, finding the sync button while driving is difficult (unless your are parked and can safely look down).
I guess you play with your HVAC settings a lot more than I. I probably set mine on 72 Auto months ago and haven't touched it since. My wife has an SQ5 and I don't find that any easier than my Macan, its not like I can change the temp in that car while looking straight ahead, but then again its really not something I touch often.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:50 PM
peterp
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
My lightning cable is good; damn CarPlay is just glitchy as hell at times. I can use a brand-new cable and no-dice. However, if I kill the engine and arm the alarm, it resets something and re-enables CarPlay.
I've seen the same thing where CarPlay is super easy to disconnect. If you've owned your iPhone for a while, it's good to be aware that the charging port can (will) get full of lint over time and that can makes connection flaky initially and eventually totally unusable.

My iphone charging port looked perfectly clean, I'd vacuumed it, cleaned it -- it looked perfect but would not charge at all on any cable. I took it into the Apple store to have the charging port replaced and the guy said it was just dirty. I politely told him "You don't understand, I've already cleaned ...". He took the phone and had a little pick and, over the course of 5 minutes, proceeded to pull out a ton of lint. I'm starting to see the cable connection be a bit flaky again, and the Macan CarPlay bails immediately on any disconnect, so I think the issue I see with the Macan Carplay is probably my iphone needing the port cleaned again.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:09 PM
peterp
Drifting

Originally Posted by smohr33
I guess you play with your HVAC settings a lot more than I...
Sadly, pretty much every time I get in the car . My wife is sensitive to temperature, so she flips the fan controls manually instead of using climate control. No amount of convincing will get her to use climate control. My son takes it out of sync by setting temp on his side. I don't drive the Macan that often, but when I do I need to reset everything. It's not difficult, but it was a much easier, faster, and safer on the Audi.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:06 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 109 Posts

I've seen the same thing where CarPlay is super easy to disconnect. If you've owned your iPhone for a while, it's good to be aware that the charging port can (will) get full of lint over time and that can makes connection flaky initially and eventually totally unusable.

My iphone charging port looked perfectly clean, I'd vacuumed it, cleaned it -- it looked perfect but would not charge at all on any cable. I took it into the Apple store to have the charging port replaced and the guy said it was just dirty. I politely told him "You don't understand, I've already cleaned ...". He took the phone and had a little pick and, over the course of 5 minutes, proceeded to pull out a ton of lint. I'm starting to see the cable connection be a bit flaky again, and the Macan CarPlay bails immediately on any disconnect, so I think the issue I see with the Macan Carplay is probably my iphone needing the port cleaned again.
I use an Otter Box iPhone cover for my X. It has a cap that you snap shut when you pull the charging cord. The charging port remains crystal clear.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:09 AM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 223 Posts

PCM needs a Home Button.

Old 12-10-2019, 08:28 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by OliverK68
PCM needs a Home Button.
On the upper left of the screen is a Home icon. If you select that screen and then hit the OPTION button on the lower right while the vehicle is stationary, you can completely customize your Home screen with elements of all the different pages (Nav, Media, Phone, etc.)

I have mine set up to display navigation, Sirius channel back and forward buttons, speed dial for my wife, weather, and Sirius favorite channel listings.

Good luck

Last edited by Pavegeno928; 12-10-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:56 AM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
On the upper left of the screen is a Home icon. If you select that screen and then hit the OPTION button on the lower right while the vehicle is stationary, you can completely customize your Home screen with elements of all the different pages (Nav, Media, Phone, etc.)

I have mine set up to display navigation, Sirius channel back and forward buttons, speed dial for my wife, weather, and Sirius favorite channel listings.

Good luck
To clarify, I meant a physical Home Button, like I have in my 991.2.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:29 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,138 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by rpetty3
what he said. 14 ways
I keep seeing this disdain for the 18 way seats- knowing that people are looking at this thread and deciding how to option their cars, I think it's important to note that they should try the 18 ways before just accepting forum advice. Seats are a very important and likely often overlooked factor in a car; they do contact the highest percentage of your body while driving.

I owned a Macan for 4 years with 14 ways, and the seats were just fine. I now have the 18 ways, and love them. They make a tangible difference in the overall experience of the car.

That said, the seat bolsters at the hip are definitely higher than the 14 ways, and in an SUV it does take a bit more effort to get in and out of the car. So they may not be for everyone.

They're only a $380 upgrade with the Premium Plus package so perhaps Porsche recognizes that they're more of an individual preference rather than a true premium over the 14 ways. Anyway, just wanted to get that in there that people will likely vary on their opinion of the 18 way seats, so definitely try them.

Originally Posted by blk on blk
I don't own a macan in my lineup, but was a huge fan of the vehicle and always enjoyed driving them from the service loaner fleet. Always considered getting one when my kids are older and I don't need the extra room in the cayenne. This critique may be irrelevant as I would likely get a GTS or Turbo trim, but I have to say the move to the 4 cylinder in the base model is a real downer for me. That base engine is a soulless piece of **** that has rendered the things pretty much more expensive Rav 4's. hate the move.
I have to call you out here- this is a bad take.

First of all, if you don't want the 4 cylinder, don't buy it. Simple as that. There are tons of folks on here who went this direction, and are happy with their cars. Your opinion on the fact that Porsche decided to include a 4 cylinder model in their SUV line isn't within the spirit of this thread; "things you don't like about YOUR Macan". If you didn't like the engine in the car you bought, you'd air that grievance here.

Lastly, I'm going to assume something with the knowledge I could be wrong- but you clearly just haven't driven the base car, or any car with that engine. It's a fantastic engine. One I actually picked over the current supercharged V6 in the S4 (I have an S3), because it is far more punchy with its power delivery than anyone could rightly expect. If you took the time to base your opinion on that "soulless piece of ****" with empirical evidence from, say, actually driving the car, you may have found the value in Porsche's decision to include it as an option.

Last edited by manifold danger; 12-11-2019 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:16 PM
peterp
Drifting

Originally Posted by manifold danger
...clearly just haven't driven the base car, or any car with that engine. It's a fantastic engine. One I actually picked over the current supercharged V6 in the S4 (I have an S3), because it is far more punchy with its power delivery than anyone could rightly expect. If you took the time to base your opinion on that "soulless piece of ****" with empirical evidence from, say, actually driving the car, you may have found the value in Porsche's decision to include it as an option.
Agree with this strongly. On the track, HP may be king, but on the road, for a DD, torque is what matters (unless you drive routinely at 9/10ths on the road). With Audi, I made the same choice of the 2.0t over the much more expensive 3.0 6 in the Q5 for the same reason -- more torque and felt a lot peppier in everyday driving. The Audi 3.0 6 measured faster 0-60 than the 2.0t, but it felt slower in everyday driving. The 2.0t is not quite as smooth as the 6-cylinder engines, but it is amazing how well it performs (especially with PDK).
Old 12-12-2019, 07:47 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 281 Posts

One minor complaint: We have the red/black interior with deviated red stitching on the window sills and dash. Why didn't they do the same on the steering wheel leather? On a technical note, they really complicated matters when they restricted access to the serpentine belt to the point that the entire front bumper cover has to be removed to gain access. Granted, the necessity to gain access will be limited but wait 'til you have to pay to get it done or attempt to do it yourself.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:41 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

I have had my special-order 4-cylinder 2019 Macan for half a year now, and am nearing 11k miles on the odometer with it as my second car (I took it on a long, cross-country trip this past summer, which put on the majority of those miles thus far). I like it a lot, very few major complaints.. The list below does not affect the fact that my Macan is a really stable, fun-to-drive vehicle, and I enjoy getting into it every time.

For some relevant context, last year I bought a 2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid Sport Turismo, for which I traded in my ICE-only 2015 Panamera 4. My 2018 Panamera has the keyless ignition standard, and coming from the 2015 Panamera with the keyfob-in-ignition to start, I did not like the new system at all; I was always looking for a place to put my keyfob, and found myself often leaving the keyfob in the car in my garage by accident. I just like having the key go into the ignition, as a place to keep the key. So in my Macan, I got it standard, and I'm glad to again be putting my key into the ignition switch to the left of the steering wheel; I never forget my key and never lose it now.

But here are my negative observations of my 2019 Macan, mostly minor (relative to the great things that I like about my Macan);

(1) I wish that Porsche would give two diamond keys on the steering wheel, not just one, for controlling specific items (this is not just Macan-specific).
(2) I miss the new digital instrument panel, with two digital "gauges" on either side of the central analog tachometer, in the Cayenne and Panamera; these are far superior to what is in even the 2019/2020 Macan.
(3) I miss not having the option to get the night-vision (infrared) camera that I ordered in my Panamera.
(4) I wish that Porsche would do away with the silly fixed speedometer gauge to the left of the tachometer, and make it a digital option instead; no Porsche driver ever looks at it while driving -- it's useless. There are so many more useful things that could be placed in that space digitally (things that appear in the right-hand gauge, for example, but that I wish I could see multiple screens of at the same time, when I can only see one at the same time).
(5) The gear shifter on the Macan is way too high, getting in the way of access to the rear-window-defroster button and other nearby buttons; it doesn't need to be more than half the height that it is. (Of course, the new electronic gear-shifters in the new Cayenne and Panamera go almost too far in the opposite direction -- very short levers, which is ok, but I prefer the mechanical gear shifter that is still found in the Macan.)
(6) The "Home" icon/"button" in the upper-left corner of the infotainment screen is poorly placed (as noted by somebody else in this thread); it's small and I often hit the Nav icon/button by mistake; it needs to be larger and easier to access quickly.
(7) It's too difficult switching easily/quickly between different audio sources, and amongst your own music/songs in your SD card. Better design needed.
(8) Homelink is finicky to the point of being a bad joke (this is a general Porsche problem). After many days/hours with Porsche and Homelink on the phone, I finally just gave up.
(9) Storage compartments aren't horrible, but they could be better; my main gripe is with the front-seat USB ports being only in the under-arm storage bay and with no easy place to put your smartphone (outside of the cupholders, or buried in the storage box where you can't easily access it -- and this is a pain for the passenger, too).
(10) I wish that you could get the drive-mode dial on your steering wheel without getting the ugly (in my opinion) steering wheel with screws showing and without getting the "stopwatch pseudo-clock" on the dashboard; I really like that dial on my Panamera E-Hybrid (which gets it standard). I personally opted to get the dashboard compass in my Macan because I think it looks better than the Porsche clock. But I find that the Sport button is too low down on the control panel, near the cupholders, to easily access without a major taking of the driver's eyes off the road; usually when I need to use the sport-mode button, it's hard to take eyes off the road comfortably/safely. This is where putting it into a second diamond key would be great; I use my diamond key to switch between audio sources. On my Panamera, the drive-mode dial on the steering wheel is something I use almost every time I drive the car. I don't want to waste the single diamond-control function on sport mode (if that is, in fact, possible to do).
(11) The back-up camera is practically unusable in rain and snow; it needs some way to clean the lens at the command of the driver.
(12) This is a problem with all 4-door Porsches: Putting cruise-control switches on a third stalk coming out of the lower-left side of the steering wheel is one of the dumbest engineering/design concepts I've ever seen in a car. These controls should be on the steering wheel, like they are in most every other car brand out there. Even after years of using them, I don't feel comfortable with these awkwardly (and unsafely) placed controls on a stalk that you can't actually see easily while driving. I still often move the turn-signal stalk by accident when meaning to move the cruise-control stalk -- such that sometimes I accidentally flash my bright lights or turning on my turn signal without meaning to (possibly irritating/confusing other drivers in front of and/or behind me.)
(13) I really miss not having dual sun visors on both sides of the front seats -- a feature that's standard in many much-cheaper non-luxury cars. It's a pain (and very unsafe) constantly moving the visor back and forth when you're on a road that curves with the sun at about a 45-degree angle, as the sun shines into your eyes alternately from your side window and then through the front windshield. Every luxury car should have dual visors for such situations, where you can have one over your side window and one simultaneously over the front windshield.
(14) The rain-sensing windshield wipers are very inconsistent, and this has been the case on all my Porsches. It's a minor point, of course, more often than not they seem to not wipe fast enough, or they wipe too fast. I suppose this must be a very hard thing to do, technologically. And on this same topic, I wish that we had the option to order heated wipers and/or heated windshield liquid for those icy/snowy days.
(15) The front headlights offer a love-hate relationship. I love how they look, and they work really well at night ... except when you get snow/ice or even rain on them. Because they are so horizontal/flat (vs. "normal" headlights that tend to be vertical so that it's harder for snow, ice, or rain to stick to them without falling off), they get snow/ice build-up really easily and it's harder to keep that off of them in such conditions (and I've even noticed that rain drops tend to cover them pretty well at times, also, which can degrade their light output significantly). The answer to this would be heated headlight covers, of course -- or else re-designing them to be further down in front and more vertical.

And, finally, I wish that Porsche had a Macan E-Hybrid, because I'd have bought that instead. I'm hoping that what I'm hearing will come to pass: a Macan E-Hybrid issued with a 17.3-kWh battery pack (and presumably about 30 miles of all-electric range), and hopefully 400-450 hp with 500 lb-ft of torque (like in the Cayenne and Panamera E-Hybrids), when the Macan BEV is launched in a couple of years.

Last edited by cometguy; 12-14-2019 at 11:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Liste-Renn (12-04-2020)
Old 12-13-2019, 05:09 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
One minor complaint: We have the red/black interior with deviated red stitching on the window sills and dash. Why didn't they do the same on the steering wheel leather?
Because they can get a lot more $$ out of us Porsche nuts through the CXX Exclusive option program for things like that!
Old 12-17-2019, 12:01 AM
peterp
Drifting

The key-based seat memory seems to be unreliable. Often when I get in with my key, the seat position moves, but is too far back, so I'll move the seat forward, hit the Save to Key button to lock it in, but then next time I get in it seems to be back to too far back. Other times it seems to work move itself into the more forward position. The saved mirror positions seem to be correct all the time, just the seat position is not consistent.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:45 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,138 Likes on 641 Posts

The key-based seat memory seems to be unreliable. Often when I get in with my key, the seat position moves, but is too far back, so I'll move the seat forward, hit the Save to Key button to lock it in, but then next time I get in it seems to be back to too far back. Other times it seems to work move itself into the more forward position. The saved mirror positions seem to be correct all the time, just the seat position is not consistent.
From my experience, you have to hit set and then the number to save your seating position, and then hit set and the key button as well to save it to the key.

There's also a "comfort access" or something feature that moves the seat back when you get out. It should move it back automatically when the door is closed though when you get back in.

Quick Reply: (Hopefully) Constructive "things you don't like/hate about your Macan" thread