Macan 2014-Current

(Hopefully) Constructive "things you don't like/hate about your Macan" thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 05:12 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by dak911
Yes I noticed that with our 2019 also....grabby brakes at very slow speed...
I thought that was fixed with the newer model. They all do that, I've had a bunch of Macan loaners with the same grabby low speed trait.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:04 PM
peterp
Drifting

Received 737 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
I thought that was fixed with the newer model. They all do that, I've had a bunch of Macan loaners with the same grabby low speed trait.
I noticed that too when we first got it, but it's gone away. Not sure if the car changed (broke in) or I adjusted to it. I'm pretty sure I'd still be able to feel it if it was there because it wasn't that subtle. Seems to be gone for my wife also, though we both commented on it initially.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:30 PM
MarkTr
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

First thing I noticed on my first ride in my SE in December '19--I have never owned a car, Porsche or others, that was this grabby. I am still a bit surprised when it happens.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:23 AM
peterp
Drifting

I don't know if this is a "thing I don't like" (because I accidentally shut something off) or "something broke" comment, but the HVAC and heated seat controls for the rear seats (located at the rear of the console) no longer work. The temperature up/down toggle no longer lights up and nothing happens when you click the rear heated seats button. Is it possible I accidentally shut something off or is it broken? I looked in the HVAC options in the car setup menu and didn't see anything to control regarding the rear seats.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:00 PM
GT4Stu
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
I don't know if this is a "thing I don't like" (because I accidentally shut something off) or "something broke" comment, but the HVAC and heated seat controls for the rear seats (located at the rear of the console) no longer work. The temperature up/down toggle no longer lights up and nothing happens when you click the rear heated seats button. Is it possible I accidentally shut something off or is it broken? I looked in the HVAC options in the car setup menu and didn't see anything to control regarding the rear seats.
Apparently if the child lock is engaged it shuts all of the above off. Have to give credit to a buddy of mine at work who had the same thing... this is not my brilliance
The following users liked this post:
peterp (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 02:36 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4Stu
Apparently if the child lock is engaged it shuts all of the above off. Have to give credit to a buddy of mine at work who had the same thing... this is not my brilliance
Sure enough - the info is buried in the owner's manual under:
Disabling controls in the rear – child protection

Fig. 165: Disabling controls in the rear
Old 02-10-2020, 02:39 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Crap! I wondered why this was the case, as I also saw the same in my Cayenne. Odd enough, it was only when I was rarely having my 5yr old nephew in the back in his booster thing... lol.

Thanks for this! I guess I should RTFM.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:08 PM
peterp
Drifting

Originally Posted by GT4Stu
Awesome -- thanks!!!!
Old 02-12-2020, 10:34 AM
tk-porsche
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

I did a test drive of a base 2018 Macan yesterday. Overall, I was quite impressed. The 4-cyl had similar acceleration to my 4-cyl X3 xDrive. The ride was smoother and road noise a bit less, thanks to the "real" tires vs. run-flats. The steering felt tighter. With the Doppelkopplung, shifts seemed much smoother. Fit and finish were overall good, no rattles.

I definitely thought the 14-way seats were way more comfortable after sitting in a newer model that contained them so that I could compare. The 8-way seats have IMO insufficient lumbar support and cannot evidently be adjusted. The other thing I did not like so much were the dinky mirrors, both rear view and outside. Yes, big mirrors look klunky and reduce the aerodynamics, but seeing what's behind you is important. The seat height relative to the visibility over the hood cold be a bit better even though I'm about an inch shy of six feet tall -- I have more of a commanding view in the X3 with the seat height all the way up. The interior of the Macan felt a little more cramped perhaps because the headroom is a tad lower than in the X3. The rear seats are pretty limited as is well known though the indentations for legs was a good thought. I'm not so concerned about hauling passengers often nor over long distances. The more aggressively sloping rear rooflne makes for less cargo space though the overall length, width and height with the rear seats down are actually not that much less than in the X3, excepting the height towards the rear because of the aforementioned slope.Finally, the display in the newer models is definitely a step up, though my older X3 has a similarly small screen as the pre-2019 model Macans and I've gotten used to it.

Overall, I did like the vehicle and some things you have to let grow on you and get used to them. There are always some quirks, no matter what, and you have to just accept that this is what the engineers and designers decided to do.
The following users liked this post:
BOPE (02-12-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 11:05 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by tk-porsche
I did a test drive of a base 2018 Macan yesterday. Overall, I was quite impressed. The 4-cyl had similar acceleration to my 4-cyl X3 xDrive. The ride was smoother and road noise a bit less, thanks to the "real" tires vs. run-flats. The steering felt tighter. With the Doppelkopplung, shifts seemed much smoother. Fit and finish were overall good, no rattles.

I definitely thought the 14-way seats were way more comfortable after sitting in a newer model that contained them so that I could compare. The 8-way seats have IMO insufficient lumbar support and cannot evidently be adjusted. The other thing I did not like so much were the dinky mirrors, both rear view and outside. Yes, big mirrors look klunky and reduce the aerodynamics, but seeing what's behind you is important. The seat height relative to the visibility over the hood cold be a bit better even though I'm about an inch shy of six feet tall -- I have more of a commanding view in the X3 with the seat height all the way up. The interior of the Macan felt a little more cramped perhaps because the headroom is a tad lower than in the X3. The rear seats are pretty limited as is well known though the indentations for legs was a good thought. I'm not so concerned about hauling passengers often nor over long distances. The more aggressively sloping rear rooflne makes for less cargo space though the overall length, width and height with the rear seats down are actually not that much less than in the X3, excepting the height towards the rear because of the aforementioned slope.Finally, the display in the newer models is definitely a step up, though my older X3 has a similarly small screen as the pre-2019 model Macans and I've gotten used to it.

Overall, I did like the vehicle and some things you have to let grow on you and get used to them. There are always some quirks, no matter what, and you have to just accept that this is what the engineers and designers decided to do.
i am thinking about a Macan for a DD, so thanks for this comparison. We have an X3 M40i and like it a lot, but my brain is fixated on a Macan S. I am also thinking about a MB GLE coupe. I haven’t driven either yet and still doing research. One thing that I read is that the Macan transmission tunnel intrudes on the gas pedal creating an odd driving position, so looking to check that out on Tuesday.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:21 PM
peterp
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
my brain is fixated on a Macan S.
Drive both an S and a Base model before you decide.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:04 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Drive both an S and a Base model before you decide.
Everything I have read mentioned that the sweet spot for this model in the S version. Do you have an experience to share?

I have a base C2, so it’s not about impressing my neighbor. The C2 is all that I can handle. Maybe you believe the “S” is overkill?
Old 02-21-2020, 03:13 PM
tk-porsche
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

i am thinking about a Macan for a DD, so thanks for this comparison. We have an X3 M40i and like it a lot, but my brain is fixated on a Macan S. I am also thinking about a MB GLE coupe. I haven’t driven either yet and still doing research. One thing that I read is that the Macan transmission tunnel intrudes on the gas pedal creating an odd driving position, so looking to check that out on Tuesday.
I didn't notice an issue with the pedals, and I wear a size 11 1/2 shoe. I will add that the rear view mirrors in the X1 are also small, hence take getting used to. I have also yet to try a GLE or GLC. As mentioned before I believe, I think MB has the btter 4-cyl engines, but you'd have the V6 if you went with the Macan S. As much as I'd enjoy the 6-cyl engine,if you plan to take a lot of long trips, the difference in fuel economy is going to really add up (which may not be an issue, depending on your finances and and other factors). To me, it matters a lot after I did the math.

I actually did like the fact that the base Macan was so quiet - if I wanted sports car environment noises, I'd have a sports car to experience them(as I have in the past). A big difference to me was the ride on the non-RFT tires. If I ever got another BMW (unlikely), I'd seriously consider getting conventional tires and throwing a spare in the back. The way they pack that compact spare in the Macan is really nice and the ride was so much better than in my X3 with RFTs.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:40 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 234 Likes on 134 Posts

We have a 2020 S. I have not found the tunnel to be an issue for the driver. The passenger side has a little of the tunnel intrusion. Base vs S was an easy decision for us. I had the base Macan for a loaner numerous times. Nice car but never really fell in love with it. Dealer gave us an S for the weekend. That sealed the deal. The roughly $9k difference was well worth it.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:07 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

I've discussed in other threads how I spent over a year deciding between the base Macan and the Macan S: Having owned two Panameras with up to 462 hp and 516 lb-ft of torque, I wasn't looking at a Macan to compete but rather as a useful daily vehicle with higher ground clearance that I can take places that I can't so easily take my Panamera. For the better part of a year, I wouldn't even consider a base Macan (even though I'd never driven one); I thought "no way" was I going to buy a 4-cylinder Porsche, so I was close-minded on the issue. But when I told my salesman that I wanted something that I could take more places than my Panamera, and knowing that I was focussing on Cayennes and Macans, he one day suggested that I test-drive a base Macan (knowing that the Macan S wasn't impressing me for the cost, and the Cayenne was too truck-like), and I did. (In proper context, I was delaying on buying a 2018 Macan because I strongly dislike the old infotainment screen and knew that the new-gen Panamera/Cayenne screen was coming to the 2019 Macan, so no way was I buying a pre-2019 Macan; that gave me over a year to really think before I bought my 2019 Macan.). I was pleasantly surprised, especially comparing driving a base with a Macan S on the same day (and multiple days, multiple different bases and Ss). I came to the conclusion that the S wasn't all that much better than the base, and that I could save some serious money by going with the base. I special-ordered a 2019 base Macan last year and have been very happy with my decision after 13.5k miles and 8 months; glad that I didn't get the S, because we're getting a new car for my wife this year and probably another Porsche for me next year.

But one thing that I've noticed, which is much-commented on about Porsches: their onboard computers apparently learn your style of driving, and adjust the transmission gear-changing accordingly. I'm a fast driver, and my base Macan quickly learned my style and is very fast from zero, and just a wonderful-accelerating vehicle. In some of my driving of loaner base Macans and test-driven new base Macans, I've noticed that the "computer learning" wasn't in place "yet", and they didn't accelerate as quickly as mine does -- or at least I'm assuming that's why there's a noticeable difference in various base Macans that I've driven. I'm sure that's also true for different Macan S vehicles -- that some are computer-mapped differently from others, based on who's been driving them. Does my base Macan accelerate as fast as my 462-hp Panamera? Of course not. But then it cost less than half as much, and it's a very different type of vehicle. I see lots of Macans in my local area on the streets here, every day, and I rarely see one that's being driven fast, like I drive. I see lots of Ss, as well as some base Macans, and the occasional Turbo or GTS, but few of their drivers seem interested in driving faster than the Toyotas and Kias all around us, so I'm not sure what the obsession is with the V6.

Quick Reply: (Hopefully) Constructive "things you don't like/hate about your Macan" thread