Notices
Macan 2014-Current

(Hopefully) Constructive "things you don't like/hate about your Macan" thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2024, 07:36 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 435 Likes on 265 Posts

It only takes about 30 seconds to shut off the idiotic seatbelt warnings with a Launch x431 or similar coding tool. Highly recommended.

I don't think you can make it default to auto start/stop off on the 95B.3, though, unless T-Design has updated their module to handle it. The module works wonderfully on the 95B.2.
The following users liked this post:
misteralz (01-23-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 01:00 PM
schnell
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by FavOutLaw
After two weeks of ownership of a '17 GTS, my biggest gripes are the lack of a skip button when using CarPlay, placement of the backup cam (they salt the roads where I am and the cam is covered in about 3 seconds flat) and how insanely fast the back window gets dirty. I was able to rectify the skip issue by using a BT button, but the location of the cam can't be changed and not sure about a fix for the back window.
Back window crud is a function of aero of course. On our '21 GTS, the rear window washer squirter cleans the area where the camera lens is... works brilliantly!
Old 01-20-2024, 11:24 PM
Straya
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2024 GTS - still no android auto.

I got racetek instead of leather. Still not sure if I like it on the steering wheel, but had a loaner this week while my paint protection and window tinting was done and the leather steering wheel felt cheap.

I hate that there is no place to put my phone when it's plugged in if I want to be able to see/touch/access it easily.

I wish there was a compartment in the centre roof area for sunglasses. Storing them under the seat is a bit awkward to get out if you're already sitting in the car.

Oh and I'm annoyed that the option for electronic steering wheel was not available for me until after my change cutoff date.

Love:
The sound every time I start the car, and the ability to open the exhaust.
I've never owned an automatic car in my life because of the responsiveness of a manual when either accelerating or removing foot from accelerator, but driving this car makes the conversion to automatic an absolute pleasure. I put my foot down and it goes. Although way too easy to speed 😬
Love the colour - I went for python green with black rims. It was the first one in this colour ordered from my dealer and since mine arrived in December they've had a few more people want it after seeing mine.
Love that I feel like I'm driving a sports car. After driving my GTS and having the base model this week on loan, I don't think I'd have been happy with anything else. The base model felt like I could have been driving any old SUV.

Last edited by Straya; 01-20-2024 at 11:27 PM.
Mike981S (03-27-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 05:14 PM
peterp
Drifting

Received 750 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Larson E. Rapp
However, the last loaner I received was a 95B.3, and these sensations -- the "soul" -- were diminished. I don't know if it was the larger wheels (21") or something inherent to the 95B.3 facelift such as revised PDK tuning, but that base model simply did not drive as nicely as the 95B.2 base cars did. If shopping for a used 95B.2, there is a lot to be said for the base model if you're not a John Paul Jones kind of driver. But if shopping for a new 95B.3, I'd have to say give the four-banger a miss. Or at least drive enough examples to understand what actually makes them feel so different.
I just had a 2024 loaner Base Macan with 2500 miles on it and I agree with all of the above. It did not drive nearly as nice as our 2018 Base car. It was noisier (engine and tires) and felt more sluggish off the line. When I got it home, I checked to see if it had bigger tires, but they were 19" just like our car. The tires were Continentals, which in my experience don't drive as nicely as the Michelin all-season that I have (I think Porsche randomly uses either Continental or Michelin, depending on supply, but Michelins always feel better to me). Still the noise difference seemed bigger than just the tire brands.

One possibility regarding the sluggishness might be that some cheapskate who had the loaner before me filled it with regular, so the electronics had to adjust timing to cope. When I filled it with premium to return it (only added about 8 gallons), it did feel slightly better (maybe), but still not as good as the 2018.
Mike981S (03-27-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 05:20 PM
BMinSFL
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
I just had a 2024 loaner Base Macan with 2500 miles on it and I agree with all of the above. It did not drive nearly as nice as our 2018 Base car. It was noisier (engine and tires) and felt more sluggish off the line. When I got it home, I checked to see if it had bigger tires, but they were 19" just like our car. The tires were Continentals, which in my experience don't drive as nicely as the Michelin all-season that I have (I think Porsche randomly uses either Continental or Michelin, depending on supply, but Michelins always feel better to me). Still the noise difference seemed bigger than just the tire brands.

One possibility regarding the sluggishness might be that some cheapskate who had the loaner before me filled it with regular, so the electronics had to adjust timing to cope. When I filled it with premium to return it (only added about 8 gallons), it did feel slightly better (maybe), but still not as good as the 2018.
Interesting. The 95b.3 have a higher final drive ratio 4.67 vs. 4.13 and I noticed that right away at low speeds. That combined with the smaller GT wheel my loaner had, it felt very nice.
Old 03-27-2024, 05:24 PM
peterp
Drifting

One thing I hated on the 2024 loaner Macan I had is the adaptive cruise control. I didn't bother to check if parameters can be changed (or turned off) because it was a loaner, but I only use the left lane on the highway for passing, and staying in the other lanes the would back very far off cruise speed when there was a unnaturally large distance to the next car. If I had the cruise on 70, the car would often be running at 60 because of the car very far in front. The only way for cruise to work is to hog the left lane, which I am not inclined to do.

I also hate that when you hit "auto" on the HVAC, if the manual temperature was set to "Hi" (max heat) -- it automatically switched back to 72 degrees, and then you have to manually bring it all the way back to the high heat level (doesn't help that you have to look down at the center console to see the temperature). My wife likes manual heating controls, and I like auto, so I encounter this (having to reset the temp) most of the time I get in the car. It seems like it would make infinitely more sense for the temp setting to stay the same as it was when you hit "auto".
Old 03-27-2024, 05:42 PM
peterp
Drifting

Originally Posted by BMinSFL
Interesting. The 95b.3 have a higher final drive ratio 4.67 vs. 4.13 and I noticed that right away at low speeds. That combined with the smaller GT wheel my loaner had, it felt very nice.
Very weird. I was wondering about drive ratio also -- I noticed 1900 rpm on the 2024 at 70mph (indicated, 67mph according to Waze). Which I thought was higher RPM than a I usually see on my 2018 -- but it seemed like it was around the same 1900 at 67 Waze speed. Maybe the top gear works out to the same ratio, but lower gears are lower? I guess that could account for it being louder, but it should have felt more peppy instead of less. Maybe my 2024 loaner had regular fuel from the prior user -- only thing I can think of.
Old 03-27-2024, 09:17 PM
BMinSFL
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 122 Posts

Very weird. I was wondering about drive ratio also -- I noticed 1900 rpm on the 2024 at 70mph (indicated, 67mph according to Waze). Which I thought was higher RPM than a I usually see on my 2018 -- but it seemed like it was around the same 1900 at 67 Waze speed. Maybe the top gear works out to the same ratio, but lower gears are lower? I guess that could account for it being louder, but it should have felt more peppy instead of less. Maybe my 2024 loaner had regular fuel from the prior user -- only thing I can think of.
It's the same 7 speed PDK as far as I can see. I was looking through the ratios and saw that the 8 speed PDK in the new Panamera has a 5.97 first gear ratio!!! That would be mighty fun in the Macan. I guess that is their solution to making the ever heavier Panamera base feel light and quick. Final drive is lower at 3.36. It's interesting to see how they balance the ratios for each car.

Last edited by BMinSFL; 03-27-2024 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-28-2024, 01:44 PM
peterp
Drifting

I don't like that there seems to be a fairly loud hum in the fan motor sometimes when the climate control temp is set to "Hi" (max heat). Back off the temp a little (fan motor slows down) and it goes away. I always though that something was wrong with the fan, but the 2500-mile 2024 Macan Base loaner I just had did the same thing as my 2018. I've mentioned in the past few services, and the service advisor seems to ignore the request. Didn't see anything in the paperwork indicating they even investigated it on the most recent service, even though I mentioned it a few times. Is it normal for the Macan? I'd think not, but the loaner did the same thing.
Old 04-01-2024, 04:20 PM
peterp
Drifting

Default “Interm. Service Now” service warning???

Just got my car back from the dealer for the 50k service. The only warning going in was the normal oil service warning (that counts down mile due for service).

When I picked up the car, I now see a “Interm. Service Now” warning. Does anybody know what this warning means? So far, the dealer is refusing to reset it. That warning was not on when it went in for service.
Old 04-01-2024, 09:24 PM
DR_DFW
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

I am a new owner of a 2023 Macan GTS (after 22 years of BMWs, last one 6MT G80). Love the car!
Two things I noticed:
1) I cannot figure out how to display the vehicle health data (all systems pass?) and even how to display how many miles left on front and rear brakes? I could see that in my previous vehicles.
2) looks like the trunk lock button does not do the complete job, like folding the mirrors. I have to lock the vehicle again (key or tuck the handle) to get the double beep and folded mirrors…
Old 04-01-2024, 11:57 PM
Mike981S
Pro

Received 446 Likes on 222 Posts

Just got my car back from the dealer for the 50k service. The only warning going in was the normal oil service warning (that counts down mile due for service).

When I picked up the car, I now see a “Interm. Service Now” warning. Does anybody know what this warning means? So far, the dealer is refusing to reset it. That warning was not on when it went in for service.
There are three level of services and associated warnings:
1. Yearly/10k miles/15k km oil change
2. the interim service interval (I think every 2 years/20k miles) with adds some additional items
3. the big service (every 4 years/40k miles)

For details see Porsche Macan Maintenance Schedule | Porsche Irvine.

In my opinion, your service advisor should have noticed that your car is due for the oil change and the interim service and done them both, unless you explicitly forbade him to do so.
peterp (04-02-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 03:44 PM
peterp
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike981S
There are three level of services and associated warnings:
1. Yearly/10k miles/15k km oil change
2. the interim service interval (I think every 2 years/20k miles) with adds some additional items
3. the big service (every 4 years/40k miles)

For details see Porsche Macan Maintenance Schedule | Porsche Irvine.

In my opinion, your service advisor should have noticed that your car is due for the oil change and the interim service and done them both, unless you explicitly forbade him to do so.
Thanks. I've had all of the services done at the scheduled time (spark plugs done at 30k instead of 40k in schedule because Porsche changed the requirement). The current dealer did the 50k (oil change only) and quoted PDK oil change, Pollen Filter, Brake Fluid Flush, Air Filters, Spark Plugs. I told them that all of these were done at the 40k, except for the plugs which were done at 30k. They said ok, but didn't tell me they were going to send it home with a warning light still on. Had they told me, I could have sent them the receipts for the 30k and 40k. Instead they gave the car back with a warning light still on (that wasn't on when I went in -- only the oil change light was on), which I didn't notice for a day or two. After I complained, they said they would have still charged me $259 to reset the light with the receipts. I spoke to the manager, he now said he will do it for free, but I need to take the time to bring it back to the dealer.

They did a good job on the warranty work. Their quotes for other maintenance items were 3 times what it it would cost at an independent. I've used only dealer service on high-end daily drivers for the last 30 years, only in the last few years with the Macan have service charges been triple the rate of independents. I won't buy another new Porsche, and I can no longer recommend it to anyone else, purely because of service costs.
Old 04-02-2024, 04:28 PM
WasabiPeas
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

No back/repeat button on the steering wheel. I frequently like to replay songs on Apple CarPlay and having to use the touchscreen to do that is annoying. It's the first car I've owned that's like this.
Old 04-02-2024, 09:18 PM
ilovemaui
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 185 Posts

I love my 2019 Macan S. My only gripe is I have a hard time finding a comfortable spot for my right foot when the cruise is on. Kinda strange, but all my other cars I don’t have this issue. 1st world problem.

Quick Reply: (Hopefully) Constructive "things you don't like/hate about your Macan" thread