x2

siberian

The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow
Old 01-22-2020, 11:53 AM
PSEE
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by medtech
I dislike the fact that in 2015, a friggin backup camera was not standard (even on a Turbo).
It's included with the Premium Package - PJ2 - as well as the Premium Package Plus - PJ4 - , which is a superset of the PP.

It's also a part of the Park Assist (Front & Rear) with reversing camera package 7X8 and the superset of this with Surround View - 8A4

All part of the a la carte approach of Porsche...

Old 01-23-2020, 04:07 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

If you put a little too much oil in it you get the yellow light.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:39 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 235 Likes on 134 Posts

After 4 months of ownership I find the Macan an almost perfect vehicle. But I have a few nitpicks. I think the paddle shifters are too close to the steering wheel. I wish the paddles were attached to the steering column instead of the wheel. I wish the center armrest was a little bit higher. The paddle shifters are a moot point with me now. I played with them when the car was new. Now I never use them.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:01 PM
Macan20
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 2020 Macan S - Porsche Connect App

1. So the Porsche App is a problem. When I bought the car, I was given a code that synced everything. I was told to download the PORSCHE CONNECT app, as that is what is now being used. Did that, and it bounces me over to the PORSCHE CAR CONNECT App...confused yet?

Called Customer Service - they sent me a link to register the app, and it generated a separate code. I was to take this code to a dealer and have them input it, and CAR CONNECT would work.

Went to the dealer yesterday - the dealer said that the second code was irrelevant, and only the original code was needed, on the newer cars. Also, PORSCHE CAR CONNECT was not needed either.

Input the code - NOTHING! Car Connect App still does not work! This is very frustrating. The Car Connect CS is giving me a different story to the dealer! Also the dealer said that the App was crap and they may be working on a new one.

2. Love everything else about the car!

Last edited by Macan20; 01-26-2020 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:46 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 240 Posts

The dealer is wrong as was my dealer last summer when I got my '19 Macan. The Panamera and Cayenne don't need to have Car Connect activated but the Macan does.

The second code 800PORSCHE gave you for Car Connect is absolutely necessary. The dealer only has to do one thing for '19 and later Macans and that is to activate the Car Connect Module which is embedded in the car using the PIWIS. When they do this, they input the second code you got and now the CAR CONNECT app will work. Once activated go to https://pcc.vodafonetelematics.com if you want to buy the Safety and Security services. You get Remote for free for one year.

I went through all this with my dealer. They aren't trained on this stuff and it's a shame. Useful information.

This gives you the following via the CAR CONNECT app:

1. Remote Services - Free for one year - this gives you vehicle status (speed, mileage, fuel fuel range), Remotes capability (lock car, fold mirrors), Trip info (travel time, distance, consumption, and speed), and Info about your specific car. Additionally, it shows your vehicle and your location on a map and can guide you to your car for when you forget where you Parkes, it can flash your lights and sound your horn as well. You can also set up alerts for speed and set a geofence to be alerted when your vehicle enters and exits an area.

2. Safety Services-must be purchased from the beginning-If your airbag activates or you break down, the control center is notified to send help

3. Security Services-must be purchased from the beginning. This gives you Advanced theft detection (sabotage, unauthorized movement, jamming etc.), 24/7 service in 36 European countries, Russia, South Africa, USA and Canada, Alert notification via SMS and push notification, Remote access via mobile app to mode setting (e.g. transportation mode), Theft reporting via mobile APP, Security Service Plus (requires security package option), Insurance approval (Thatcham Category 5, SCM, INCERT etc.), and Automatic Driver Recognition (ADR) with driver card.

Bottom Line, tell the dealer to call 800-PORSCHE and they will educate the service technicians. The folks at PORSCHE told me this happens all the time and they are quite frustrated at the lack of knowledge the dealers have. Good luck and hit me back with questions.

Last edited by Pavegeno928; 01-26-2020 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:49 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 240 Posts

The apps are separate. You can go over to the CAR CONNECT app from the Porsche Connect App but it is not necessary. You only use the CAR Connect App when you are away from your car. The Connect app is your bread and butter app for daily use while driving or if you want to send a new destination to the car via your mobile device. You can also log on from home and build your destination file and they will auto populate in your car's destination favorites list as long as you set your PCM to login in to the Connect app.

Sure would be a whole lot easier if they gave the two apps different sounding names. It is confusing.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:35 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by n2cars
After 4 months of ownership I find the Macan an almost perfect vehicle. But I have a few nitpicks. I think the paddle shifters are too close to the steering wheel. I wish the paddles were attached to the steering column instead of the wheel. I wish the center armrest was a little bit higher. The paddle shifters are a moot point with me now. I played with them when the car was new. Now I never use them.
I'm glad I have the paddle shifters; occasionally when I floor the Macan, it keeps in a gear that's too low (it doesn't shift higher, and the ICE rpms go too high), so I just quickly pull on the right paddle to force it to shift up and get the rpms down. For all that people rave about PDK, and I agree it's good, it's far from perfect -- my assessment from driving dozens of Porsches and owning three of them.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:53 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by lefizzet
2018 GTS

1. Backup camera location has to be the worst in any car I've ever driven, might as well not have one if you drive more than 5 minutes in the rain/snow
Very true... My 2018 Panamera has a spray nozzle to clean the camera lens when you wash the rear window. It's too bad that this isn't standard (or at least an option) in the Macan, even now -- no excuse for such an important safety feature that is required by law to be on all new cars.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:08 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,319 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Re. PDK, Cometguy, experience the 6 speed Tiptronic and you'll dream of a PDK. The only real gripe I have about my V8 Touareg is I can't swap in a PDK for the 6 speed. I have a coffee and wait for the thing to shift when I'm towing. As to the sprayer for the camera, it's been frozen solid since I drove out of the dealer who put the wrong window cleaner in.

siberian

Old 01-28-2020, 11:07 AM
peterp
Drifting

Received 750 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
Re. PDK, Cometguy, experience the 6 speed Tiptronic and you'll dream of a PDK.
I agree. I had the 8-speed (I think 8) Tiptronic in a Q5 before trading it in for the Macan with PDK. Even though the Audi Tiptronic was very good, the PDK is so much crisper between shifts there is no comparison. I thought I would use the paddles more, but there is no need. I agree the kickdown isn't always perfect (though sport mode corrects that), but the power delivery is so much better with PDK that it's hard to go back to automatic. I think the gas mileage and performance improvements between manual and automatic also apply to the PDK. Our Macan base gets better mileage than our old Q5 2.0t in mostly city driving (not sure how much of that is PDK and how much is auto-shutoff).

Last edited by peterp; 01-28-2020 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:22 AM
peterp
Drifting

Received 750 Likes on 452 Posts

A Macan complaint and a solution:

Complaint: When it is very cold out (sub 35F or so), it takes a very long time before the Macan heater generates any heat.

Solution: Use "sport" mode, at least to start, when it is below 35 degrees or so. The default shift mapping has the car up-shifting around 1500 or 2000 RPM, this is fine since the torque peak is 1600RPM (on the Base model), but it takes forever for the engine to warm up. When you switch to "sport" mode, the shift points are higher and the engine warms up a LOT faster -- this is much better for the engine (reducing engine wear long term) and for allowing the heater to work much sooner. Obviously don't drive the car hard until the engine is fully warmed up, just drive it as you normally would and let the sport mode shift it at higher RPM's.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:27 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,319 Likes on 1,378 Posts

You did mean MINUS 35 when using it with the word "cold" right?

siberian

Old 01-28-2020, 06:39 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 421 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
You did mean MINUS 35 when using it with the word "cold" right?

siberian

Out of NJ, I doubt it...

That said mine warms up pretty quickly regardless of the temp thus far.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:35 PM
craig66
Pro

Received 499 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
I'm glad I have the paddle shifters; occasionally when I floor the Macan, it keeps in a gear that's too low (it doesn't shift higher, and the ICE rpms go too high), so I just quickly pull on the right paddle to force it to shift up and get the rpms down. For all that people rave about PDK, and I agree it's good, it's far from perfect -- my assessment from driving dozens of Porsches and owning three of them.
Its funny as that is exactly what I love about the Porsche and PDK. With most the cars you kick down and it gives you that lovely boost and then immediately shifts and goes back into sleeper mode. There PDK on the other hand sits up there at those high RPMS and coaxingly says to you: "Come on lets play, let's get this baby moving" most of the time I listen and we play but when I don't after a little while it disappointedly says: OK I guess not today and then reluctantly shifts up.

That too me is the best part of the PDK aside from the lightening shifts.

I will agree there are times where I am really not ready to play and laughingly have to say to myself: Whoa boy, Whoa boy, not today, maybe later and then I upshift myself as do you. When I have to do that I actually smile to myself and say: Now that's why I bought a Porsche and that's why I went PDK (In my Boxster I had a choice)

Quick Reply: (Hopefully) Constructive "things you don't like/hate about your Macan" thread