Notices
Macan 2014-Current

(Hopefully) Constructive "things you don't like/hate about your Macan" thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2024, 11:02 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

On my 2018 Turbo there is apparently no way (that I can figure out) to edit entries in the Contacts list.
I have some bad ones I don't understand and am about to give up, delete the mobile phone, reinstall it and hope it downloads my phones contact list.
Old 01-10-2024, 12:26 AM
wwahl
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
On my 2018 Turbo there is apparently no way (that I can figure out) to edit entries in the Contacts list.
I have some bad ones I don't understand and am about to give up, delete the mobile phone, reinstall it and hope it downloads my phones contact list.
Because it is a blue tooth connection, I would think if you correct the contacts on your phone, it would correct on the screen in the car.
Old 01-10-2024, 05:34 AM
Tim Cooper
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
What I hate (or at least don't know how to do) is that the 2018 Macan doesn't seem to have any way to change the audio settings on the Bose Premium for music played through CarPlay. On FM, I have the sound set to "Linear" mode (instead of the default surround, which sounds awful). So FM sounds great, but Pandora and Spotify Premium sounds pretty mediocre. I suspect that the sound settings for CarPlay are still set to the default "surround" mode, but haven't seen any way to adjust the sound settings when playing audio through CarPlay.
You need to use the App settings so click on the three dots top left for menu, then Edit / Preferences / Playback / Equaliser, there you'll find a choice between presets or a custom EQ.

Old 01-10-2024, 06:23 AM
BMinSFL
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
Sorry, should have stated -- 2018. Where did you find the settings for CarPlay in your 2019? (there's a good chance I'm just missing it on my 2018, but I looked pretty hard and couldn't find the setting)
On PCM 5, it's the same media settings menu, it simply adjusts whatever source it's currently playing. PCM 4 will be different though.
The following users liked this post:
peterp (01-10-2024)
Old 01-10-2024, 02:07 PM
peterp
Drifting

Received 737 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Cooper
You need to use the App settings so click on the three dots top left for menu, then Edit / Preferences / Playback / Equaliser, there you'll find a choice between presets or a custom EQ.
Thanks Tim, but I'm not so much looking for an equalizer as I am to shut off the Bose default "Surround Mode" and change it to "Linear Mode" (or something like that). It makes a huge sound quality difference in FM to be in linear mode (went from hating the Bose audio quality to thinking it sounds quite good on FM). I don't think it sounds nearly as good with Spotify Premium via CarPlay, so I think CarPlay mode is still set to the default Bose "surround" instead of "Linear", just don't see anyway to change it. It's probably operator error on my part, but I can't find Bose sound settings on CarPlay.

Last edited by peterp; 01-10-2024 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-10-2024, 02:43 PM
isugoo
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 189 Posts

REARVIEW CAM + SURROUND as default.
I hope there's an option to make rear cam + surround as default instead of pressing the arrow every time.
Old 01-11-2024, 02:18 PM
wbferran
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow, you folks are deep into the details of your cars! That’s cool. My likes and dislikes are much more basic.

really like the car. It fits me perfectly, handles well, looks good.

I don’t like how it burns through brake pads and tires so quickly. I don’t like that I need a pedal commander/ sport mode/manual mode to get the response I prefer. And i don’t like what I am reading about regarding replacing a headlight and how much that costs, as well as the expense to repair a leak at the timing chain cover.

This car replaced a 2001 BMW 330ci I had for about twenty years. I replaced a fuel pump, an alternator, a power window module and a coolant recovery tank. That’s it. High end cars are fun, but they need to be heartier, and easier to fix. Especially if the driver is not abusing the car. I am hopeful I got a good one made on a good day and it lasts me a long time. We will see.
peterp (01-11-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 03:16 PM
FavOutLaw
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

After two weeks of ownership of a '17 GTS, my biggest gripes are the lack of a skip button when using CarPlay, placement of the backup cam (they salt the roads where I am and the cam is covered in about 3 seconds flat) and how insanely fast the back window gets dirty. I was able to rectify the skip issue by using a BT button, but the location of the cam can't be changed and not sure about a fix for the back window.

Last edited by FavOutLaw; 01-11-2024 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-11-2024, 10:48 PM
wwahl
Pro

Originally Posted by FavOutLaw
After two weeks of ownership of a '17 GTS, my biggest gripes are the lack of a skip button when using CarPlay, placement of the backup cam (they salt the roads where I am and the cam is covered in about 3 seconds flat) and how insanely fast the back window gets dirty. I was able to rectify the skip issue by using a BT button, but the location of the cam can't be changed and not sure about a fix for the back window.
No fix for the back window. It has been a problem for ten years.
Old 01-12-2024, 12:37 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by wwahl
Because it is a blue tooth connection, I would think if you correct the contacts on your phone, it would correct on the screen in the car.
I have the correct address in my phone - and a different one comes up when i type to search the name of the addressee. I don't get it.
Old 01-12-2024, 01:08 AM
wwahl
Pro

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
I have the correct address in my phone - and a different one comes up when i type to search the name of the addressee. I don't get it.
Hmmm. Have you tried to disconnect the blue tooth and then reintroduce it? Your contacts should be a control over the Porsche stuff.
Old 01-12-2024, 07:45 AM
Tim Cooper
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by wbferran
Wow, you folks are deep into the details of your cars! That’s cool. My likes and dislikes are much more basic.

really like the car. It fits me perfectly, handles well, looks good.

I don’t like how it burns through brake pads and tires so quickly. I don’t like that I need a pedal commander/ sport mode/manual mode to get the response I prefer. And i don’t like what I am reading about regarding replacing a headlight and how much that costs, as well as the expense to repair a leak at the timing chain cover.

This car replaced a 2001 BMW 330ci I had for about twenty years. I replaced a fuel pump, an alternator, a power window module and a coolant recovery tank. That’s it. High end cars are fun, but they need to be heartier, and easier to fix. Especially if the driver is not abusing the car. I am hopeful I got a good one made on a good day and it lasts me a long time. We will see.
I guess we all like different bits, i use standard lazy mode most of the time but like the facility to switch into sport / ACC when in more of a hurry. I'm used to a long push heavy right pedal so the Macan seems very responsive, if i need a bit more pedal i click the seat forward an inch; a 30 year habit.

If you don't like the tyre wear it's more or less unavoidable, when i ran my 928 on Yokohamas i got 6k miles front and 4k rear; two tonnes stopping and going fast will wear something.
Old 01-18-2024, 10:53 AM
misteralz
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

A few months in now, and a few thousand k in as well. We took it up to the top of Denmark for 'Betwixtmas'. I respect it massively but I still don't love it. Likes? It's usefully quick, marginally quicker than my mk5 GTI. Obviously it's faster, but haven't really broken the double ton yet as it's on its winterset atm. Managed a nightmare journey back from mid-Denmark through an actual storm and still felt reasonably refreshed when we got home. It normally would have been seven or eight hours, but it took eleven. Averaged 30mpg as well.
I know this is the dislike thread, but I've already mentioned some of my dislikes here and been flamed for them. But sod it. Dislikes? Yes, lots. The PCM is horrible. Lovely sound and everything, but it's a nightmare of a system to get working. I still haven't figured out how to fill up the hard drive and have albums play in the album order. Yes, Macan, well done for playing them in alphabetical order, but you're not a primary school child so your wee trick doesn't impress me. Play my music in the order the artists intended, please.
The start stop bull**** ended up giving me proper anxiety. Roll up to a junction, I can see it's clear and that gap's perfect, then the sodding thing cuts out at 4kph. F**k. Right. Off. I wasn't expecting that, panic, take my foot off the brake, and still nothing because the handbrake's gone on as well. Seriously, f**k right off! You don't know better than me, so stop trying to second guess me. The gap's too small now. Also the engine's still off, meaning I've got to take restart time into account. Maybe I'll get used to it, but I shouldn't have to.
Who decided powered tailgates were a good idea? It's so sllllloooooooowwwwwwwwww. And if you've squishy rucksacks or sleeping bags or whatever in the boot, things that will squish down, expect the tailgate to almost close then beep at you. So you have to push the last bit closed, like humans have already been doing anyway for half a century or more.
What else? How about the little annoyances, like if your partner opens it for you, to get the kids in or whatever while you're paying for petrol. It'll open with all her parameters. Fine. But when I pop my key in the ignition, it should realise that she's not driving, so put my seat where it should be and put my preferred vehicle data up on the dash. Locking it and unlocking it with my key doesn't override her initially opening it.
Low speed maneuvering? I've got a spare seat belt buckle for that. If I pop my door open to see for real how close I am to the kerb, it's because I'm parking and amn't about to head off on a several hundred mile road trip. Stop putting the sodding handbrake on without asking me, and stop telling me to put my seatbelt on.
And yes, electronic handbrakes can absolutely get absolutely to phucke, and when they get there, they can sod off from there as well.
Anyway. April or May we'll be taking it down to Stuttgart and the Schwarzwald, maybe after that and some quality twisties I'll be loving it...
The following 5 users liked this post by misteralz:
dak911 (01-18-2024), Larson E. Rapp (01-18-2024), Mike981S (03-27-2024), wbferran (01-18-2024), WillinEvergreen (01-19-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 02:07 PM
wbferran
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

That was awesome! Thx.
misteralz (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 05:43 PM
offagain
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by misteralz
Yes, lots. The PCM is horrible. Lovely sound and everything, but it's a nightmare of a system to get working. I still haven't figured out how to fill up the hard drive and have albums play in the album order. Yes, Macan, well done for playing them in alphabetical order, but you're not a primary school child so your wee trick doesn't impress me. Play my music in the order the artists intended, please.
PCM is OK, but then again, we just use Apple CarPlay and thats about it. I did fill up an old SD card that I have lying around and added this, so I have a lot of older music to listen to if I feel inclined. However, it doesnt always recognize it, so you have to go in and select the media system to use. Other than that, its fine - not great, but fine.

The start stop bull**** ended up giving me proper anxiety. Roll up to a junction, I can see it's clear and that gap's perfect, then the sodding thing cuts out at 4kph. F**k. Right. Off. I wasn't expecting that, panic, take my foot off the brake, and still nothing because the handbrake's gone on as well. Seriously, f**k right off! You don't know better than me, so stop trying to second guess me. The gap's too small now. Also the engine's still off, meaning I've got to take restart time into account. Maybe I'll get used to it, but I shouldn't have to.
Interesting. I have a 2021 S and we can just press the button for start stop and its turned off, even between drives. I am guessing its a setting that is done for different markets. Since I have different behavior, I wonder if you could program this? I also have a BMW and we have been customizing that pretty heavily - turning on cornering lights, auto closing the mirrors and so on. For BMW its easy, but I have to believe that PWIS can be used to customize the start / stop behavior?

Who decided powered tailgates were a good idea? It's so sllllloooooooowwwwwwwwww. And if you've squishy rucksacks or sleeping bags or whatever in the boot, things that will squish down, expect the tailgate to almost close then beep at you. So you have to push the last bit closed, like humans have already been doing anyway for half a century or more.
What else? How about the little annoyances, like if your partner opens it for you, to get the kids in or whatever while you're paying for petrol. It'll open with all her parameters. Fine. But when I pop my key in the ignition, it should realise that she's not driving, so put my seat where it should be and put my preferred vehicle data up on the dash. Locking it and unlocking it with my key doesn't override her initially opening it.
Power tailgate is slow, so that fair. And its really sensitive to anything being in there. And as for the key - did you program the settings to the key? I cant quite remember the process, but you have to press the lower button to have it saved to the specific key. That way it will have all of the personalized settings for that key - seat position etc. It seems to work on who opens the door though. Lock and unlock wont change the position of the seat / mirrors for example. Only when I open the door will it move to my preferred location. Seems to work fine. Might be worth looking at making sure you have the seat positions etc programmed to the key.

Low speed maneuvering? I've got a spare seat belt buckle for that. If I pop my door open to see for real how close I am to the kerb, it's because I'm parking and amn't about to head off on a several hundred mile road trip. Stop putting the sodding handbrake on without asking me, and stop telling me to put my seatbelt on.
And yes, electronic handbrakes can absolutely get absolutely to phucke, and when they get there, they can sod off from there as well.
Yeah, that sucks. Bing, bing, bing etc.... If I stop at the top of my driveway to get the mail, it complains about the seatbelt. Oh well. The other problem that I have is that it constantly beeps if someone has got out of the car though. So say I am dropping someone off and they are sat in the back. They jump out and I go to leave - bing, bing, bing etc. Its not protesting that the seatbelt isnt fastened! Why, there is no one in the seat! I asked my local dealer and he recommended to try putting the car in Park and seeing if this made a difference (it doesnt). The only thing that does is to turn the car off and then turn it back on again! Why? Weird. The damn thing beeps for a minute or something. Annoying.
misteralz (01-19-2024)

Quick Reply: (Hopefully) Constructive "things you don't like/hate about your Macan" thread