Notices
Macan 2014-Current

(Hopefully) Constructive "things you don't like/hate about your Macan" thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2023, 01:41 PM
peterp
Drifting

Received 737 Likes on 446 Posts

I'm not going to trash the dealer or mention by name, but here is an example -- below is the "air filter" replacement line item off of my 40k quote for Base Macan. $625 for just the air filter replacement. The air filter is $37.99 (https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/95BDFILTER.html) and it literally takes less than 5 minutes to replace (half the time of the YouTube video below because the Base Macan has only 1 air filter, not 2 as in the video for an S):

This 5-minute video is for 2 air filters, my Base model only has 1:

Last edited by peterp; 11-28-2023 at 01:42 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by peterp:
clutchplate (11-28-2023), Ironman88 (11-28-2023), Larson E. Rapp (11-28-2023), Russian Mafia (11-29-2023)
Old 11-28-2023, 01:46 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 439 Posts

Service on my base Macan was not only higher than our Q3, it was higher than my Spyder. Tell me that makes any sense for a four banger VW engine.

Anyway, don't have any other gripes, I do like the car.
The following users liked this post:
peterp (11-28-2023)
Old 11-28-2023, 03:59 PM
Tpup
Rennlist Member

Received 308 Likes on 145 Posts

Other than service costs I love my Macan S. More expensive than my 17 911 or 18 GT3...
Old 11-28-2023, 07:41 PM
peterp
Drifting

Originally Posted by clutchplate
Service on my base Macan was not only higher than our Q3, it was higher than my Spyder. Tell me that makes any sense for a four banger VW engine.

Anyway, don't have any other gripes, I do like the car.
Originally Posted by Tpup
Other than service costs I love my Macan S. More expensive than my 17 911 or 18 GT3...
It does seem to be Macan specific, which doesn't make any sense. Is it possible they didn't make much money on the Macan and decided to make it up on service? I'm at a loss otherwise.

Like everyone else, I love the Macan except for service costs.
Old 11-28-2023, 08:42 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,215 Likes on 1,173 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
It does seem to be Macan specific, which doesn't make any sense. Is it possible they didn't make much money on the Macan and decided to make it up on service? I'm at a loss otherwise.

Like everyone else, I love the Macan except for service costs.
Clearly the SA at the dealership will look to take full advantage of anyone who may be willing to completely expose their juggler vein to them. Such a short-term approach and attitude in how they view a customers overall longer term worth. Shameful and reflects so poorly on Porsche. And all too common unfortunately.

Well - at least you know what you're dealing with.

For service items like air filters and cabin filters, as has been conveyed - so easy to do it yourself.

Old 11-29-2023, 07:38 AM
WillinEvergreen
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Before I forget this thread, could you please share the name of the shop? I live in Evergreen and have been going to various places in Golden. I, too, have a 2020 base. Thank you.
Kodabear (04-24-2024)
Old 11-29-2023, 08:28 AM
Tpup
Rennlist Member

Received 308 Likes on 145 Posts

In case this is helpful... I purchased the car in 2014, it was one of the first batch delivered to my local dealership.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tpup:
peterp (11-29-2023), Russian Mafia (11-29-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 10:52 AM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 855 Likes on 419 Posts

I'm not going to trash the dealer or mention by name, but here is an example -- below is the "air filter" replacement line item off of my 40k quote for Base Macan. $625 for just the air filter replacement. The air filter is $37.99 (https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/95BDFILTER.html) and it literally takes less than 5 minutes to replace (half the time of the YouTube video below because the Base Macan has only 1 air filter, not 2 as in the video for an S):

This 5-minute video is for 2 air filters, my Base model only has 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm4aIx59gVE
Maybe I'll offer to pay for a tech's time while he watches me do it so it will be documented for warranty compliance. It would be kind of fun to do it that way. For me part of this is pay to play as I'm waitlisted on P cars that go to repeat, preferred customers. If and when I get those cars I can turn around and sell them for profit if I want making Porsche maintenance an investment of sorts. What a wierd game.
peterp (11-29-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 01:11 PM
peterp
Drifting

Originally Posted by Russian Mafia
Maybe I'll offer to pay for a tech's time while he watches me do it so it will be documented for warranty compliance. It would be kind of fun to do it that way. For me part of this is pay to play as I'm waitlisted on P cars that go to repeat, preferred customers. If and when I get those cars I can turn around and sell them for profit if I want making Porsche maintenance an investment of sorts. What a wierd game.
I asked him to break down the $625 air filter replacement by parts and labor. Of course, there's no way to do that without exposing the gouging -- the quote would either have to be a $38 filter with 2.5 hours labor, or a $500 filter with 0.5 hours labor. He said the system doesn't allow him to do break town parts and labor. I said I've never received a dealer quote that didn't break down parts and labor for each line item. He came back with a lump sum labor quote for the entire 40k service (about $4k in total, on a Base Macan).

Last edited by peterp; 11-29-2023 at 01:20 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by peterp:
Ironman88 (11-29-2023), Larson E. Rapp (11-29-2023), Russian Mafia (11-29-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 01:13 PM
peterp
Drifting

Originally Posted by clutchplate
We take my wife's Q3 to the same Porsche/Audi dealer. Her maintenance was $795 for a 4 year contract, mine $900 per visit for the same techs and probably the same oil. It's a rip.
Do you know if there is a 4-year service plan for the Macan? I don't remember being offered any service plan options when I bought it (but that was a while ago). Would be interesting to see how the Macan 4-year compares to Audi.
Old 11-29-2023, 01:20 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 388 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Russian Mafia
Maybe I'll offer to pay for a tech's time while he watches me do it so it will be documented for warranty compliance. It would be kind of fun to do it that way.
I've thought about something similar to that. The dealers are charging so much that they are entering a different market, one in which their customers can afford to equip their own garages with tools, PIWIS clones, and a lift. And for those who are interested in doing their own work but aren't yet comfortable with it, pay experienced techs for consulting/training sessions.

I would be a good candidate for that. I know which end of a wrench to point at the enemy, but when it comes to the details that techs learn and practice every day, I'd need some combination of intuition, experience, and training in order not to screw up something expensive (and I do have experience at that.)

Can't buy intuition or talent, but experience and training can make up for both, and can be acquired and rented, respectively.

Last edited by Larson E. Rapp; 11-29-2023 at 01:23 PM.
Russian Mafia (11-29-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 01:33 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 855 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Larson E. Rapp
I've thought about something similar to that. The dealers are charging so much that they are entering a different market, one in which their customers can afford to equip their own garages with tools, PIWIS clones, and a lift. And for those who are interested in doing their own work but aren't yet comfortable with it, pay experienced techs for consulting/training sessions.

I would be a good candidate for that. I know which end of a wrench to point at the enemy, but when it comes to the details that techs learn and practice every day, I'd need some combination of intuition, experience, and training in order not to screw up something expensive (and I do have experience at that.)

Can't buy intuition or talent, but experience and training can make up for both, and can be acquired and rented, respectively.
It's hard to dismiss their approach as far as whether it maximizes bottom line but it would seem to spawn independents and the use thereof resulting in less dealer profitability over time. On the other hand, maybe that helps maintain used car values which is in their interest. It's a model with more than a few variables. Outright price discrimination would put them on thin ice but done tacitly through third parties may work for them.
Old 11-29-2023, 01:37 PM
TonyVan
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Bought a 2018 Macan GTS a few weeks ago to replace our 2013 Cayenne GTS that gave its life in an accident. The Cayenne was like being in a bank vault during the accident and although the car was totaled, I walked away with only bruising.
I’ve read through this entire thread and haven’t seen mention of the windshield wiper arms not clearing the hood, to clean the glass. I can see chips in the hood, in my future.
As for the 18 way seats, my wife has always been uncomfortable, on long drives, in either the Cayenne or our 2019 Targa GTS. The Targa has the 18 way seats and the Cayenne were very basic. On our recent trip to Denver, from Ca, she was so comfortable, she agreed to a 12 stint to get home a day early.
Agree the rear view camera is the pits in the snow but we don’t see snow in San Jose!
The Cayenne had the Burmester and the Macan the Bose. No contest. Although the Bose has gotten a lot better since our 2003 Boxster S, it still doesn’t come close to the clarity of the Burmester.
We’ve enjoyed our short time with the Macan. Drives more like an agile sports car than the Cayenne GTS but I do miss the growl of the V8. We did get better MPG in the Macan. Showed an indicated 28 mpg at one point but mostly on the 22-24 range. Happy with our choice in cars.
Tony
Old 11-29-2023, 06:25 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 439 Posts

Do you know if there is a 4-year service plan for the Macan? I don't remember being offered any service plan options when I bought it (but that was a while ago). Would be interesting to see how the Macan 4-year compares to Audi.
They offered one when I bought my car car but it was around $4,000. The sum of all the add-ons the finance department tried to sell me was $37,000 of which I chose none.
peterp (11-29-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 07:00 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 908 Likes on 546 Posts

I also passed on the maintenance plan.

Quick Reply: (Hopefully) Constructive "things you don't like/hate about your Macan" thread