Sponsored by: APR

Australian GT4s

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 01:21 AM
NBTBRV8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
So few gts's were sold new is why so few on the 2nd hand market.
90 Cayman GTS' were sold here, and I think it was around ~140 mark or so GT4, it could be more. The stats were earlier in this thread.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:14 AM
.dee
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Charliekay
5 sets of tyres @ 4,000kms? I have done 3 track days and 95% of the rest has been spirited driving and I just changed my fronts for the first time and the rears are due to be changed soon. I am just over 4000kms.
Haha yes indeed, this is the 5th set.

I did chew through one complete set when I did a full day + twilight at SMP, in the December heatwave, temps around 45-46 degrees throughout the day, have to say the car held up really well, not once did it overheat, other than bad cording on the tires, everything held up fine.

Next Thursdays PCSS track day will be the 18th full day in the last 10 months or so.

Old 07-16-2017, 03:12 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NBTBRV8
90 Cayman GTS' were sold here, and I think it was around ~140 mark or so GT4, it could be more. The stats were earlier in this thread.
Thanks, I was told something like the states and territories "averaged 14 sales" ~ 112. Anyhow, not many.

Originally Posted by James88
You obviously dont get the GT4 like the rest of us do, many of us have owned and driven the latest 911's incl GT3 and RS's and we still prefer the GT4.
Good for you, liked the royal "we" - I get the GT4. You may well prefer the GT4 to a GT3 or RS - I don't and a lot of others don't too.

However, and more importantly, it doesn't change the points I was making - which include: there has been a new GT4 sighted and its release will have an impact on current GT4 prices especially if you have tracked them...

.....and don't hang out for a GT4RS - AP said at the release of the GT3, there were no plans to do a RS version of the GT4 due to a number of factors including capacity constraints.

......and for those that track their cars extensively it is rumoured a PDK version may be available (preserves engine, gear box, clutch and diff).

Last edited by randr; 07-16-2017 at 03:32 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:46 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

Lost my 3rd gear this morning. Will drop it at PC Willoughby tomorrow morning. I hope there are no issues and that there is one in stock in Sydney. I have booked at the Burrows day on Wednesday and wanted to use the car.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:50 AM
.dee
Instructor

Originally Posted by Warwick Morris
Lost my 3rd gear this morning. Will drop it at PC Willoughby tomorrow morning. I hope there are no issues and that there is one in stock in Sydney. I have booked at the Burrows day on Wednesday and wanted to use the car.
What a shame Warwick, I really am just waiting for mine to fail too now, might as well get it over and done with...
Old 07-16-2017, 03:50 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Originally Posted by Snowman.
Warwick - are you bringing yours to Bathurst Challenge for the sprints this year? I'll be back with Mark and Tim again in ours.
See my later post re 3rd gear at the CAMS sprint this morning....warm up lap! I'm booked for Bathurst (I've seen the emails re garages today and your grouping) but will be running the Lambo. Meant to use it today but I was waiting for a part after an "incident" in last outing. "incidents" are cheap in that car!
Old 07-16-2017, 03:52 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Originally Posted by mungee
Hey all I bought a GT4 from Willoughby 2 months ago..I cannot stop driving it. 3000kms in 2 months...Plus 1 day at SMP and at Wakefield next Sunday...Enjoying it immensely
Welcome aboard mate and see you around.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:58 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ah SODS law in action - sorry to hear about that - good luck.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:42 AM
Catmagog
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by .dee
What a shame Warwick, I really am just waiting for mine to fail too now, might as well get it over and done with...
Is the 3rd gear problem mainly when guys track the cars? Was reading it was specific to certain build dates (which mines sits right in the middle of i.e early 2016) as well.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:46 AM
Catmagog
Instructor

Originally Posted by randr
There has been a new GT4 sighted and its release will have an impact on current GT4 prices especially if you have tracked them...

NA or Turbo?
Old 07-16-2017, 04:46 AM
.dee
Instructor

Originally Posted by Catmagog
Is the 3rd gear problem mainly when guys track the cars? Was reading it was specific to certain build dates (which mines sits right in the middle of i.e early 2016) as well.
From what I read from some posters, appears to be a build date issue and not how hard it has been driven, there's a massive sticky thread here that keeps track of this issue
Old 07-16-2017, 04:48 AM
Catmagog
Instructor

Ok cool - better get a long hard trip in soon
Old 07-16-2017, 04:53 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Originally Posted by Charliekay
Have you done it before? I was considering doing the Regulation at Bathurst this year. Any reason why you chose the Sprint over the Regulation?
Snowman is the gun but for mere mortals, and as a first time Bathurst driver, you would find the Regularity event to be heaps of fun. 2:36 is the minimum but you will find that is very fast if you're running CupII tyres and haven't done the track before. In fact many a good driver will need quite a bit of practice in a GT4 or GT3 on R specs, to get under 2:36. Trust me, if you're new to Bathurst and you manage to get a 2:36 in a GT4 on your first day you will feel like a hero. I've done a lot of Bathurst events over the years and you can't beat driving it. I did both the sprint and the regularity last year and, due to car issues in the sprint, I really enjoyed the regularity and if you take it seriously it's a great competition and very hard to be consistent with your times whist managing traffic (you loose 2 pts for every second you are under your nominated time and 1 pt for every second you're slower. Basically, you can't miss which ever event you do. Bathurst is Bathurst.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:08 AM
Charliekay
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Snowman is the gun but for mere mortals, and as a first time Bathurst driver, you would find the Regularity event to be heaps of fun. 2:36 is the minimum but you will find that is very fast if you're running CupII tyres and haven't done the track before. In fact many a good driver will need quite a bit of practice in a GT4 or GT3 on R specs, to get under 2:36. Trust me, if you're new to Bathurst and you manage to get a 2:36 in a GT4 on your first day you will feel like a hero. I've done a lot of Bathurst events over the years and you can't beat driving it. I did both the sprint and the regularity last year and, due to car issues in the sprint, I really enjoyed the regularity and if you take it seriously it's a great competition and very hard to be consistent with your times whist managing traffic (you loose 2 pts for every second you are under your nominated time and 1 pt for every second you're slower. Basically, you can't miss which ever event you do. Bathurst is Bathurst.
Thanks mate, sounds like it is something I will definitely register for.

Sorry to hear about your car today. How many kms you got on it? I am not waiting for mine to go. Can you let me know how your go with PCW on the fix? I want to know how **** Porsche is with mods and this issue. You have the headers, as do I and if they are going to be ****** then it will definitely make me reconsider doing anymore mods.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:18 AM
Charliekay
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by .dee
Haha yes indeed, this is the 5th set.

I did chew through one complete set when I did a full day + twilight at SMP, in the December heatwave, temps around 45-46 degrees throughout the day, have to say the car held up really well, not once did it overheat, other than bad cording on the tires, everything held up fine.

Next Thursdays PCSS track day will be the 18th full day in the last 10 months or so.

Now I understand why you have been through so many. 18 track days? I wish I knew of that many that came up. Any idea where and who host all these?

Quick Reply: Australian GT4s