Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

strut tower failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 01:09 AM
G-forceGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

BMW Strut tower distortion, cracking, & failures became enough of an issue that BMW engineers designed their own strut tower reinforcement plates (see above). Apparently this was an issue for E36, E46 M3's/ 3 series cars, & other models. BMW used light weight sheet metal in their strut tower construction, & deformation/deterioration occurred. These steel reinforcement plates were offered as part of the rough road package. BMW said the plates only had to be bolted on the underside of the strut tower mount, no bonding or welding required.

Deformed & cracked BMW strut tower above.

A Vorshlag tech describes how these things are used & modified if considering camber plates.

My car is currently stored in California & I live in Canada. Would anyone following this thread be willing/able to inspect & measure their GT4's strut tower underside to see if these may actually fit. If they fit flush & cover most of the underside surface, to walls of the hat, they at least will be stronger than the cast aluminum flat top.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:38 PM
G-forceGT4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4carl
It may be a god idea to check the inside of the tower for cracks before and after a track day. Especially if you use the curbs or have an off.They would be easy to see. All you need to do is lift the wheel you dont really need to even remove the wheel. . I also checked under the shock rod dust cover for a bump stop, there isn't one!

Sorry for the orientation of the pictures i cant figure out how to rotate them .
carl
Attached Images I showed failed strut tower photos to a mechanical engineer friend, along with Okie981's photos of regular Boxster strut/tower. The impression he had was the GT4 strut is failing ~ the inboard aft corner (top corner of middle photo). He said by taking measurements and utilizing Solidworks CAD program along with materials analysis info & program, the weak spots could be delineated. He also noted that the GT4 strut is more inboard & aft than the 981. He suspected the square corners of the mounting plate, are likely exceeding the stress tolerance of the tower support ribs. On the 981, the mount is round & larger. He suggested that if a steel plate piece was purpose machined, it ideally would extend to the curved ridge along the perimeter of GT4 mounting plate (see photos of strut mount on underside of tower). I also asked if a "generic" round steel plate would prevent the failure, & he thought it would decrease the likelihood, although not to the extent of an engineered purpose machined component.

Last edited by G-forceGT4; 11-21-2017 at 04:43 PM. Reason: inserting photos edit text
Old 03-04-2018, 09:49 PM
FLACHT6_pilot
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 93 Posts

__

Last edited by FLACHT6_pilot; 09-20-2018 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:27 AM
JPR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think that the plates by themselves do much at all. these are supposed to transfer the impact on the shock tower to another stiffening member as a strut bar of cage. The pictures that I have seen of failure show that the problem is not one of incomplete spread of the load of impact but of insufficient structural integrity of the shock tower to absorb the impact. If you can transfer some of that load on to some other place (such as an extension of the roll cage to the shock tower) from the top plate, then, you have a greater margin before failure.

Jpr

Last edited by JPR; 03-22-2018 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:23 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 601 Likes on 268 Posts

We just saw our first one come through here yesterday.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:04 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Any details of what happened? Are you guys working on a possible preventative fix? :-)
Old 03-22-2018, 06:21 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

More details are needed? A std OEM car or one of your modified ones?
Old 03-22-2018, 07:35 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

pics of the failure would be awesome. based on previous pics i don't think there's a good safe guard yet that actually reinforces the whole top mount out to the sides....
Old 05-05-2018, 06:09 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

These failures are not limited to the 981 GT4.

A local dealer had this in the shop- 991.1 GT3 RS

Old 05-05-2018, 06:47 PM
G-forceGT4
Rennlist Member

^^
Thank you for sharing Buteo. It's a big repair on these cars.

Perhaps if this happens more often on other models as well, the impetus would be there, for our aftermarket friends to design something to prevent this potentially catastrophic suspension system failure.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:55 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 95 Posts

The clubsport reinforcing plate may be there for other reasons. One reason could be that it provides a “soft” load spreading function of the compressive forces from the nuts. If the aluminum shock tower is high strength, then it will generally be more brittle (less flex) than weaker material. Brittle materials do not like cracks that could form from stress concentrations coming from the nuts. The steel could be softer than the aluminum as well.

It’s hard to imagine, but when the car is in dynamic motion, these parts all flex to some extent. It gets very complicated. Without the benefit of having detailed CAD/FEA models, it is unlikely any of us will get beyond educated guesstimates as to what is going on.

The find that the GT4 underside steel plate is different/smaller than the Boxter's, and does not seem to extend to contact an area that was meant to serve as the contact "patch" is significant IMO.

Someone asked if the cross-strut tower reinforcement might help and two posters said no. I agree it does not directly address the cause of the failure, but, we really do not know. Anything that transfers/reduces the loading or maybe even changes the nature of the loading *could* help. Or, heck, could make it more susceptible. If you had the failure while you had the stiffener installed, you bet Porsche would cry foul.

If you had a strut tower failure AND had added the clubsport reinforcement, will Porsche have more reason to deny the claim – “you changed the design of the car.”

Joe-->any fallout from your insurance company with the mega claim? These things go onto your CLUE report, and even when they are no-fault ("NF" on the report), the company (and underwriters reading it) still use that information to determine risk.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:20 PM
Franco79
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You’re not the only one

Originally Posted by zmon
Has anyone seen the photos on Miglior Detailing Instagram page? the shock came straight through the strut tower. they also mention in the post that this is not the first they have seen...

I cant link the picture becuase it shows up on their IG on my phone, but when i look at their page on the web i cant see the picture..

account is migliordetailing

is the setup the same on the club sports as on our cars? why would this be happening?!

This happened to me today. Picked up car from dealership after having front passenger tire replaced for pothole damage a few months ago. Car drove fine after pothole. Today it was rattling from the get go after I picked it up. I pulled over and voila! Please if anyone has had this happen to them I’d like to know what Porsche did for you. These chassis is done and fixing it will probably wouldn’t the best option. Car has 5k mikes only, I’m devastated #GT4
Old 05-15-2018, 08:44 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by Franco79

This happened to me today. Picked up car from dealership after having front passenger tire replaced for pothole damage a few months ago. Car drove fine after pothole. Today it was rattling from the get go after I picked it up. I pulled over and voila! Please if anyone has had this happen to them I’d like to know what Porsche did for you. These chassis is done and fixing it will probably wouldn’t the best option. Car has 5k mikes only, I’m devastated #GT4
From what I've read in this thread here is that the chances that Porsche will step up are very slim to none. I wouldn't be surprised that your first pothole damage cracked it and didn't show upon cursory inspection. Further driving with normal road impacts probably caused the initial crack(s) to expand to what you are seeing now. In a way you are very lucky that no exterior panels were damaged that will require repainting.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:16 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 95 Posts

Hmm. The number of strut tower failures is getting concerning. It is still only a fraction of reported 3rd gear failures, but as time goes on, we are seeing more of them...
Old 05-15-2018, 11:00 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by aryork
Hmm. The number of strut tower failures is getting concerning. It is still only a fraction of reported 3rd gear failures, but as time goes on, we are seeing more of them...
Yeah, sorry to be a broken record, but this should have sticky status.

Quick Reply: strut tower failure