Sponsored by: APR

strut tower failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 11:46 AM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
Yeah, sorry to be a broken record, but this should have sticky status.
Agreed.
And it would be helpful if someone could develop a data-base (ala: 3rd gear failure) with mileage, build-date, and track days.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:43 PM
911-140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
I agree with this....probably the Porsche Motorsports top plates are a slightly better option as those go on top and bolt to the frame.
I think they'll help a lot . Got my set the other day. I've also consulted with my future son in law who is a Structural Engineer as far as what I can do to transfer and mitigate vertical load on our strut towers. I'll report back if we come up with something.

One of my thoughts was based on using Aerospace grade carbon fabric applied using epoxy.
Airbus, Boeing, etc have used this method on load bearing surfaces like ailerons, landing gear doors, rib tubes, etc....things that take a beating and carry compression . I just need to find out if proper curing can be done in ambient temps vs hi temp baking like the industry does. I truly don't mind wrapping the entire towers on both the inside and out if it means not breaking. I don't think I'll ever sell my GT4 so not too worried about how it will look.

3M makes a product call Scotch Weld DP420 which should be able to create a bond .

High modulus carbon is what I'm aiming for as the bike industry uses it via vacuum press and w/o baking .

Here's a quote from a materials abstract by SciELO Analytics. The failure modes achieved were quite high...considerably more than what our cars would go through from slamming a pothole or track curbs...at least in theory.

Carbon fabric/epoxy composites are materials used in aeronautical industry to manufacture several components as flaps, aileron, landing-gear doors and others. To evaluate these materials become important to know their mechanical properties, for example, the tensile strength. Tensile tests are usually performed in aeronautical industry to determinate tensile property data for material specifications, quality assurance and structural analysis. For this work, it was manufactured four different laminate families (F155/PW, F155/HS, F584/PW and F584/HS) using pre-impregnated materials (prepregs) based on F155TM and F584TM epoxy resins reinforced with carbon fiber fabric styles Plain Weave (PW) and Eight Harness Satin (8HS). The matrix F155TM code is an epoxy resin type DGEBA (diglycidil ether of bisphenol A) that contains a curing agent and the F584TM code is a modified epoxy resin type. The laminates were obtained by handing lay-up process following an appropriate curing cycle in autoclave. The samples were evaluated by tensile tests according to the ASTM D3039. The F584/PW laminates presented the highest values of tensile strength. However, the highest modulus results were determined for the 8HS composite laminates. The correlation of these results emphasizes the importance of the adequate combination of the polymeric matrix and the reinforcement arrangement in the structural composite manufacture. The microscopic analyses of the tested specimens show valid failure modes for composites used in aeronautical industry.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:54 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

I agree with this....probably the Porsche Motorsports top plates are a slightly better option as those go on top and bolt to the frame.
There are already picture posted of those installed. They really don't go to anything worthwhile on the frame in the street version. Keep in mind that in the CS the front cage portion goes through the firewall and is attached in the frunk area.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:03 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,476 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
There are already picture posted of those installed. They really don't go to anything worthwhile on the frame in the street version. Keep in mind that in the CS the front cage portion goes through the firewall and is attached in the frunk area.
I know......but it makes you wonder why Porsche Motorsports designed them.
They were cheap enough even if they don't do anything.
The CS does have two cage tubes protruding from the firewall but they don't end on the top of the strut.
The failure could still happen in CS....

Old 01-10-2019, 05:30 AM
Pruettfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well this thread has cured my GT4 fever. Given the way most of these cars are rarely driven and only one failure we know of took place at a track this appears to be a real issue and worthy of concern. I would be buying a GT4 to be a track car primarily so this potential weakness is a real red flag for me.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:33 AM
benben01
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

This is no way to start off the new year "jlennox"... Hopefully you can get it fixed and reinforced. I lost 2 sets of rims last year thanks to highway potholes at night time on my S4 and my wife's C63... Does any remember if BGB or some other vendor was looking into making reinforcements for 981 and 991 shock towers?
Old 01-10-2019, 12:02 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pruettfan
Well this thread has cured my GT4 fever. Given the way most of these cars are rarely driven and only one failure we know of took place at a track this appears to be a real issue and worthy of concern. I would be buying a GT4 to be a track car primarily so this potential weakness is a real red flag for me.
If you plan to track a GT4 a lot IMO 19" wheels/tires are a must.....not only you save $$$ on the long run while having an extra set of wheels/tires, the extra meat on the side wall to keep the diameter as close as possible to stock adds more compliance and cushion a bit more the impacts.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:40 PM
olmy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The failure could still happen in CS....
I remember watching the "Porsche Challenge at Pikes Peak" video from Motor Trend when it was released and wondering if anyone else noticed the strut tower failure due to an off track incident.

Granted this a bit more than hitting a pothole ...

Skip to 12:42 :
Old 01-10-2019, 01:26 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Here's the photo of the damage to the CS
Is right along the bend of the material in that section.
Would have been great to see how they repaired the car.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:32 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

I thought Pikes Peak was hairy until I saw this;
Old 01-10-2019, 02:42 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 420 Posts

Here's the photo of the damage to the CS
Is right along the bend of the material in that section.
Would have been great to see how they repaired the car.

Same exact failure mode we've seen on non-CS cars. This unfortunately seems to indicate the bracing on top of the CS shock towers isn't intended to reinforce the shock tower, it's meant to anchor the roll cage and shock tower together, possibly for more overall rigidity in chassis flex. I'm of the opinion the solution will come from outside Porsche with a reinforcement "bucket" made to conform to the inside of the shock tower and set in place with the same adhesive used to assemble many of the structural parts of the car. Material could be steel, aluminum, or possibly carbon fiber. This is why earlier in this thread I was seeking to obtain a brand new shock tower, so I could do some analysis on a scanned 3D model of it and do the same analysis with a bucket attached to the inside. Of course doing a mod like this will only reveal the next least strongest part of the suspension and/or structure.....
Old 01-10-2019, 02:52 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
Yeah, sorry to be a broken record, but this should have sticky status.
Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
Agreed. And it would be helpful if someone could develop a data-base (ala: 3rd gear failure) with mileage, build-date, and track days.
Earlier in this thread there were some posters who expressed their dislike with this being a sticky because it was believed to be more of a freak occurrence and it would put a cloud over the GT4 and other 981/991 GT cars. I posted that it didn't make me any difference either way because I intended to proceed with obtaining a new shock tower part and work on designing a solution. If you read this whole thread you will see that I had to give up on getting a new part because it is very tightly controlled by Porsche. I tried several angles of attack to obtain a part. No can do. Without a new part unassembled from the car it will be sub-optimal to try and get a good 3D scan, at least it would be with the scanning equipment I can get my hands on.

If anyone knows a moderator and would like to see this a sticky, please contact them or post the moderator's name in this thread (or PM me).

Last edited by okie981; 01-11-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:04 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

It's a cast part..my guess is the failure is the result of casting defects in some but not all castings. That's why it's not a larger scale issue.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:04 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,168 Likes on 621 Posts

Bottom line cast aluminum is not good for impacts it's very brittle.One option is to make a steel cup insert that could be installed from underneath. Overall it's just a bad design! . Carl
Old 01-10-2019, 07:07 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know it sounds odd, but nobody in Germany knows about this issue, discussed it with Manthey and they have never seen any cases (and they see a lot).

Quick Reply: strut tower failure