LePetitGarage.us // @_lepetitgarage on Instagram
The following users liked this post:
Mike981S (04-05-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 07:52 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by OUGrad05
How big of an issue is this really on a stock GT4 with stock suspension? I'm trying to decide if this issue should put me off looking at them. Intention is street and track use. I don't see myself lowering the car or doing anything radical but I also don't want a car that breaks a strut tower, that's a catastrophic event if it happens at speed.
Non-issue, get one! I don't know if anyone has attempted to count the instances of this happening, but it is not a large number. Maybe a couple dozen out of thousands of cars.
The following 3 users liked this post by aryork:
Jim Cobb (04-11-2024), jmartpr (04-05-2024), OUGrad05 (04-05-2024)
Old 06-03-2024, 01:21 PM
RRRacing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 148 Likes on 74 Posts

Hi everyone,

We're stopping into the thread to announce something we think you'll be excited about. We are a small Motorsports and Engineering Performance Shop that specializes in practical solutions to important issues in the Porsche community. Most notably, Supercharging the 991's for the last few years and increasing power by +200 at the wheels. Note: We will be developing the 981/718 Supercharger kit this year as well.

Last week we announced to the market our solution to the GT car strut tower failure problem. We have done a ton of research, listened to personal accounts, explored current options and gained a vast education on the issue before arriving to our solution. Introducing, the RR Racing, Patented Pending "Breakaway Camber Plate."

Our Breakaway Camber Plate significantly reduces the chances of strut tower failure by making the camber plate sacrificial, not the chassis of your Porsche! Under normal operating conditions, our camber plate offers a direct solid connection between the struts and the strut towers, as you would expect from a track oriented GT product. However, unlike any other product on the market, our camber plates essentially sacrifice themselves in case of an impact, allowing our integrated elastomer bushing to absorb the impact and protect the strut towers. In the event of a severe impact, the Breakaway Camber Plate can easily be reset with the original solid link function restored in a matter of minutes! Please check out our video below for a more detailed explanation of how the RR Racing Breakaway Camber Plate works. Follow along to the end of the video to see a visual demonstration.

Online Store: www.RR-Racing.com
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

The following 2 users liked this post by RRRacing:
LoodorneGT4 (06-04-2024), Mike981S (06-12-2024)
Old 06-03-2024, 05:33 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 894 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRacing
Hi everyone,

We're stopping into the thread to announce something we think you'll be excited about. We are a small Motorsports and Engineering Performance Shop that specializes in practical solutions to important issues in the Porsche community. Most notably, Supercharging the 991's for the last few years and increasing power by +200 at the wheels. Note: We will be developing the 981/718 Supercharger kit this year as well.

Last week we announced to the market our solution to the GT car strut tower failure problem. We have done a ton of research, listened to personal accounts, explored current options and gained a vast education on the issue before arriving to our solution. Introducing, the RR Racing, Patented Pending "Breakaway Camber Plate."

Our Breakaway Camber Plate significantly reduces the chances of strut tower failure by making the camber plate sacrificial, not the chassis of your Porsche! Under normal operating conditions, our camber plate offers a direct solid connection between the struts and the strut towers, as you would expect from a track oriented GT product. However, unlike any other product on the market, our camber plates essentially sacrifice themselves in case of an impact, allowing our integrated elastomer bushing to absorb the impact and protect the strut towers. In the event of a severe impact, the Breakaway Camber Plate can easily be reset with the original solid link function restored in a matter of minutes! Please check out our video below for a more detailed explanation of how the RR Racing Breakaway Camber Plate works. Follow along to the end of the video to see a visual demonstration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GOchSMA1j4&t=199s
@RRRacing Very innovative product and design. Does this have application or any benefit in non-GT cars like 991.2 Carrera which does not have GT camber plates?
Old 06-04-2024, 10:26 AM
RRRacing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
@RRRacing Very innovative product and design. Does this have application or any benefit in non-GT cars like 991.2 Carrera which does not have GT camber plates?

It will allow you to run a GT-style Camber plate without fear of typical ramifications. For example, we will be making the Breakaway plates standard on our in house GT style Coilover conversion with articulating top hats. This is the setup on our shop car for testing.

​​​​​​https://www.rr-racing.com/RR-Racing-...991scnvk01.htm

-Justin
Old 06-12-2024, 12:40 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 419 Posts

It will allow you to run a GT-style Camber plate without fear of typical ramifications. For example, we will be making the Breakaway plates standard on our in house GT style Coilover conversion with articulating top hats. This is the setup on our shop car for testing.

​​​​​​https://www.rr-racing.com/RR-Racing-...991scnvk01.htm

-Justin
Interesting concept and product.

Can you provide examples of testing proving your product will always fail without failing the OEM strut tower and the OEM strut tower suffers no latent damage that will appear with a later impact to the front suspension?

I'm not aware of recent strut tower failures in normal pothole impacts during street driving. Maybe they've been happening, but not seeing public posts if they are.
Old 06-17-2024, 03:51 PM
RRRacing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by okie981
Interesting concept and product.

Can you provide examples of testing proving your product will always fail without failing the OEM strut tower and the OEM strut tower suffers no latent damage that will appear with a later impact to the front suspension?

I'm not aware of recent strut tower failures in normal pothole impacts during street driving. Maybe they've been happening, but not seeing public posts if they are.
This is an 80 page thread that's been active for almost a decade. There are many examples of this in this thread alone. Check out Post 44 to be specific. We have people posting our our social media about their failures. Below is a link to a Youtube video were 3 guys have all experienced the failure. We had a customer come in with a GT3 who experienced this just driving on a major highway here in Philly.

The object is for the plates to always fail before the tower. Calibrating with a minimal amount of bolts will ensure they do and the backup elastomer bushing will cushion anything after.
The following users liked this post:
Mike981S (06-17-2024)
Old Yesterday, 10:39 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 419 Posts

This is an 80 page thread that's been active for almost a decade. There are many examples of this in this thread alone. Check out Post 44 to be specific. We have people posting our our social media about their failures. Below is a link to a Youtube video were 3 guys have all experienced the failure. We had a customer come in with a GT3 who experienced this just driving on a major highway here in Philly.

https://youtu.be/h1cG057II94?si=2yHpml38Tu9w3vmb

The object is for the plates to always fail before the tower. Calibrating with a minimal amount of bolts will ensure they do and the backup elastomer bushing will cushion anything after.
I'm well aware of the 8 year-old failures like the one in post #44. Note that I was posting throughout this thread from its beginning. I also helped curate the strut tower failure database in the sticky section of this forum in the early days of that database.

Quick Reply: strut tower failure