Sponsored by: APR

Experiment - GT4 Track Setup Wiki:

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 07:30 PM
orthodx2000
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
There is a rumor floating around that the rotors from a turbo might work - they are cheaper but same size as the GT4s. Just haven't seen any data on what the actual difference is other than PN. Metallurgy, etc?

Thanks for the tip, will price out the OEM's and then decide
Old 12-06-2016, 07:34 PM
orthodx2000
Instructor

Originally Posted by electron mike
4 sets of pads, not rotors man! I'm on my second set of rotors.. first set of AP racing J hooks with 10 track days on them and they are holding up very well.

33 is correct, Steve isn't going to hit a 23 even cutting straight from T3 to T6, which he has done.

If someone runs a 23 on RE71RS and their name isn't Keen or Tandy, I quit!

still just on my second set of pads, not sure why mine are wearing so much better and I drive mine. You and I are within a second of each other so..... ???
Old 12-06-2016, 11:17 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Interesting article/compare of NT01 to RE71. RE71 a tiny bit faster....which is amazing.

http://www.prima-racing.com/bridgest...king-part-two/
Good data point on the same car. I have run multiple sets of NT01 on my M3 and 3 sets of RE71R on my GT4.

In my opinion, the Bridgestones are also quieter, communicate better at the limit, and offer improved wet traction. Good down to the cords just like the NT01 as well, they really are a great tire!
Old 12-06-2016, 11:29 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by orthodx2000
still just on my second set of pads, not sure why mine are wearing so much better and I drive mine. You and I are within a second of each other so..... ???
It's gotta be due to all the SUVs that cut me off all the time here in Austin. You would think they could see a skittles colored car with a park bench on the back, but I guess not!

It's either that, or perhaps the brake wear is because my commute to work is free practice, and the drive home is qualifying.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:14 AM
orthodx2000
Instructor

Originally Posted by electron mike
Good data point on the same car. I have run multiple sets of NT01 on my M3 and 3 sets of RE71R on my GT4.

In my opinion, the Bridgestones are also quieter, communicate better at the limit, and offer improved wet traction. Good down to the cords just like the NT01 as well, they really are a great tire!
Love the Bridgestones, cheaper than the cups and just as good, don't feel the need to have a dedicated set of track tires. I do have a set of Pirelli Sotozeros on right now, a little better in wet, better wear, and I will put my re71s back on for the track season starting February with COTA!
Old 12-27-2016, 04:30 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Bucket Seats

Hi. My GT4 has the LWBS option as well as the clubsport pack (not available in the US) and has OEM Schroth harnesses. My issue it that I find the seat too upright when wearing a HANS device and my head actually points a bit down at rest. It has discourage me from wearing the HANS which is NOT GOOD. Does anyone else have that issue? I am wondering if there are some mounting spaces to jack the front of the seat mounting floor point up a bit so that the arena where the HANS rests against the seat headrest.
Any experience or ideas?
Old 12-27-2016, 04:33 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Meant say, so that seat headrest angles back a couple of inches further.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:06 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

I am using a Shroth Flex Hans device in LWBS (non clubsport US version) and it works fine. I am 6'3 (1.91)

trying moving your seat up or down to see if that gets you a better fit tot the seat with the Hans
Old 12-27-2016, 12:28 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Warwick Morris
Hi. My GT4 has the LWBS option as well as the clubsport pack (not available in the US) and has OEM Schroth harnesses. My issue it that I find the seat too upright when wearing a HANS device and my head actually points a bit down at rest. It has discourage me from wearing the HANS which is NOT GOOD. Does anyone else have that issue? I am wondering if there are some mounting spaces to jack the front of the seat mounting floor point up a bit so that the arena where the HANS rests against the seat headrest.
Any experience or ideas?
I am experiencing the same problem. I haven't yet figured out a solution, but I am thinking that adding some additional foam padding to the seat back may help. The idea would be to push my torso forward, which in theory would make the head rest sit further behind my shoulders, allowing my head to sit at a more upright angle. It may also help alleviate some of the hunch back posture that seems to result from the downward force that is caused by the shoulder straps being tightened.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:45 PM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Funny, but that's exactly what I did last week on the track. Rolled up a sweat shirt and put it behind my bum; worked OK. For a more permanent solution was looking at maybe spacers under the front seat floor mount to jack the the front up and tilt the rear back, but special made angled spacers would be needed to avoid damaging the base of the seat rails.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:33 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,051 Likes on 540 Posts

I'm using a Safety Solutions/Simpson with no problems.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:34 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcD147
I am using a Shroth Flex Hans device in LWBS (non clubsport US version) and it works fine. I am 6'3 (1.91)

trying moving your seat up or down to see if that gets you a better fit tot the seat with the Hans
I switched from a conventional HANS to the Schroth Flex also. It made a significant difference.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:10 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
I switched from a conventional HANS to the Schroth Flex also. It made a significant difference.
Thanks for the heads up (so to speak). I ordered one online today (from the US - not in Aust yet). I have still asked my garage to look at angling the seat back a bit though.

By the way, when I went into the workshop yesterday I was looking at a tarmac rally GT4 they are working on, and they said it is just now getting a shorter final drive crown and pinion. I asked why not change the gears as per GT gears etc. Tech said a lot a folk having all sorts of trouble with those gears. I don't know the veracity of this, just reporting what I was told.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:31 AM
John@Fabspeed
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Warwick Morris
Thanks for the heads up (so to speak). I ordered one online today (from the US - not in Aust yet). I have still asked my garage to look at angling the seat back a bit though.

By the way, when I went into the workshop yesterday I was looking at a tarmac rally GT4 they are working on, and they said it is just now getting a shorter final drive crown and pinion. I asked why not change the gears as per GT gears etc. Tech said a lot a folk having all sorts of trouble with those gears. I don't know the veracity of this, just reporting what I was told.
Tarmac Rally GT4 in "Aust" assuming Australia. Is the car white by any chance? If so that is likely Tim Hendy's car as he lost 3rd gear on his last rally
Old 12-31-2016, 09:41 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

No it's not Tim Hendy though I know the owner/driver. The car is a very serious no-expense spared device. Ride height is raised and suspension totally re-engineered and the usual engine mods.
My 996.1 GT3 has a lowered final drive drive with a cup car diff and it is really very good as you get to use all gears on many (though not all tracks) and if someone comes up with a good FD ratio for the GT4 I will look at it in the future.

Quick Reply: Experiment - GT4 Track Setup Wiki: