Sponsored by: APR

Experiment - GT4 Track Setup Wiki:

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 11:38 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,138 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by orthodx2000
Just passed 32,000 miles on my baby (no, not a typo). She is my daily driver and I have a 200 mile/day commute which I try to spread out among all my cars but you guess how well that works out. Lol

So, the front rotors have cracks in the middle holes and a lip on the edge. Backs are not bad for 32k. I am headed back to COTA in February and need to replace them. I run 2:23's at COTA on re71's so not the fastest but not the head of the train either. Lol

So what to do? I read the original article regarding the AP's and the giro disc. Now I hear Brembo is having a sale with all four rotary plus pads for $4500. But I can get the fronts from AP or giro for less than $1800. Or all for less than the Brembo's.

Plus the little voice in my ear is saying I got +32k miles off the OEM''s. Total 18 days at COTA, HALLET, Cresson, and Eagles Canyon.

My buddy Mike said when he heard how many miles I had that I need to brake harder, my reply was to go faster, you need to hardly brake.

Thoughts, experiences? Thanks in advance,

Steve
Steve, you have to have the highest mile GT4 in the US. 32k plus track and no third gear problems? Interesting.. Carl
Old 12-06-2016, 12:15 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,633 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Just passed 32,000 miles on my baby (no, not a typo). She is my daily driver and I have a 200 mile/day commute which I try to spread out among all my cars but you guess how well that works out. Lol

So, the front rotors have cracks in the middle holes and a lip on the edge. Backs are not bad for 32k. I am headed back to COTA in February and need to replace them. I run 2:23's at COTA on re71's so not the fastest but not the head of the train either. Lol

So what to do? I read the original article regarding the AP's and the giro disc. Now I hear Brembo is having a sale with all four rotary plus pads for $4500. But I can get the fronts from AP or giro for less than $1800. Or all for less than the Brembo's.

Plus the little voice in my ear is saying I got +32k miles off the OEM''s. Total 18 days at COTA, HALLET, Cresson, and Eagles Canyon.

My buddy Mike said when he heard how many miles I had that I need to brake harder, my reply was to go faster, you need to hardly brake.

Steve
bravo and much respect!
i would have sold yuo the brembo for way less just b/c you had 32000 miles on the car!!! however, it just sold 2 hours ago.

so you are really only down to AP And giro. i have used everytype of rotors out there. i would take oem over giro anyday at any cost. i personally will not run giro for free of even if they paid me. i had too many issues with them. but you may be luckier than i. i dont screw around, every parts on my car is either THE best or one of the best.

AP is really good.
AP is owned by brembo
but different technolgy. both good.

man, i am still trying to stop gagging from how many miles you did on your car. WOW.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:06 AM
orthodx2000
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

Steve
Originally Posted by mooty
bravo and much respect!
i would have sold yuo the brembo for way less just b/c you had 32000 miles on the car!!! however, it just sold 2 hours ago.

so you are really only down to AP And giro. i have used everytype of rotors out there. i would take oem over giro anyday at any cost. i personally will not run giro for free of even if they paid me. i had too many issues with them. but you may be luckier than i. i dont screw around, every parts on my car is either THE best or one of the best.

AP is really good.
AP is owned by brembo

man, i am still trying to stop gagging from how many miles you did on your car. WOW.

me too regarding miles but once I got to a certain amount, I just stopped trying to limit the miles. I don't drive it on bad weather days (hail or Tornados) and we didn't have a snow/ice day of consequence in Oklahoma last year so unless I need the extra space, I take my GT4
Old 12-06-2016, 08:10 AM
orthodx2000
Instructor

Originally Posted by 4carl
Steve, you have to have the highest mile GT4 in the US. 32k plus track and no third gear problems? Interesting.. Carl

On occasion lately on up shifts, I have not hit 3rd just right but it goes into 5th and not 1st but that has only been on the street and frankly, I thought it was me and not the car. Downshifting has not been an issue.
I do use the sport button all the time, think it protects the gearbox better than me heel/toeing.
Think I will start paying a little more attention to what happens on upshifts. Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:17 AM
orthodx2000
Instructor

Originally Posted by mooty
bravo and much respect!

AP is really good.
AP is owned by brembo

me too regarding miles but once I got past a certain point, I stopped counting. I was trying to spread the miles out among cars but I just like driving my GT4 so unless the weather prediction is for hail or tornados, I drive her. I do switch out the track tires for a 3 season tire and if I need a back seat or more trunk space I take a different car.

So AP's or OEM's? My Buddy Mike says he has changed rotors 4 times and he has AP's. I may just price out the OEM's and stick with that.

thanks for the advice.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:48 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,355 Likes on 826 Posts

me too regarding miles but once I got past a certain point, I stopped counting. I was trying to spread the miles out among cars but I just like driving my GT4 so unless the weather prediction is for hail or tornados, I drive her. I do switch out the track tires for a 3 season tire and if I need a back seat or more trunk space I take a different car.

So AP's or OEM's? My Buddy Mike says he has changed rotors 4 times and he has AP's. I may just price out the OEM's and stick with that.

thanks for the advice.
There is a rumor floating around that the rotors from a turbo might work - they are cheaper but same size as the GT4s. Just haven't seen any data on what the actual difference is other than PN. Metallurgy, etc?
Old 12-06-2016, 11:42 AM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

I run 2:23's at COTA on re71's so not the fastest but not the head of the train either. Lol
2.23 on street tires? You need to post video of that. Assuming it is in the GT4, it will make you six seconds faster than the current fastest time out there on street tires on the leaderboard and three seconds faster than the fastest time on Hoosiers. 2.23's are what the CS's run on full race slicks in capable hands there. I'd like to learn from that.

I am probably missing something...
Old 12-06-2016, 01:13 PM
jslee225
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by myBailey07
2.23 on street tires? You need to post video of that. Assuming it is in the GT4, it will make you six seconds faster than the current fastest time out there on street tires on the leaderboard and three seconds faster than the fastest time on Hoosiers. 2.23's are what the CS's run on full race slicks in capable hands there. I'd like to learn from that.

I am probably missing something...
I was thinking the same thing, but probably just a fat finger. I think he meant 2.33

However, if indeed 2.23 I would be really interested in seeing video on how you did that! Would be epic.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:37 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jslee225
I was thinking the same thing, but probably just a fat finger. I think he meant 2.33 However, if indeed 2.23 I would be really interested in seeing video on how you did that! Would be epic.
Makes sense. I was about to retire, effective immediately ;-)
Old 12-06-2016, 02:38 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

I was thinking the same thing, but probably just a fat finger. I think he meant 2.33

However, if indeed 2.23 I would be really interested in seeing video on how you did that! Would be epic.
+1 That would be faster than a pro driver in a clubsport with slicks. Possible no doubt, but I gotta see it
Old 12-06-2016, 03:13 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 277 Posts

thanks for the advice.
4 sets of pads, not rotors man! I'm on my second set of rotors.. first set of AP racing J hooks with 10 track days on them and they are holding up very well.

33 is correct, Steve isn't going to hit a 23 even cutting straight from T3 to T6, which he has done.

If someone runs a 23 on RE71RS and their name isn't Keen or Tandy, I quit!
Old 12-06-2016, 05:56 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Interesting article/compare of NT01 to RE71. RE71 a tiny bit faster....which is amazing.

http://www.prima-racing.com/bridgest...king-part-two/
Old 12-06-2016, 07:23 PM
orthodx2000
Instructor

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
+1 That would be faster than a pro driver in a clubsport with slicks. Possible no doubt, but I gotta see it

TYPO, my bad, you blew by me multiple times at BMW event at COTA. I tried hitching a ride with you but you were going through your engine failure mode and were kind enough not to make me walk back with you if you had to park it. 2:33 was what I meant to print
Old 12-06-2016, 07:25 PM
orthodx2000
Instructor

Originally Posted by electron mike
4 sets of pads, not rotors man! I'm on my second set of rotors.. first set of AP racing J hooks with 10 track days on them and they are holding up very well.

33 is correct, Steve isn't going to hit a 23 even cutting straight from T3 to T6, which he has done.

If someone runs a 23 on RE71RS and their name isn't Keen or Tandy, I quit!

thought we had figured out a way to get from turn six to half way down the back straight!!!!!
Old 12-06-2016, 07:28 PM
orthodx2000
Instructor

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Interesting article/compare of NT01 to RE71. RE71 a tiny bit faster....which is amazing.

http://www.prima-racing.com/bridgest...king-part-two/

Maybe so, but I was ready to park it a couple of times when I saw you coming!!! I think a couple of times I waved you by when I was a 1/4 of the way down the back straight and you hadn't hit the braking zone for 11. LOL

Quick Reply: Experiment - GT4 Track Setup Wiki: