Sponsored by: APR

Experiment - GT4 Track Setup Wiki:

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 12:41 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
Very nice driving out there! Here's a video from another driver I found of us. You come and go around 1:50... I pass him and try to keep up with you around 2:50. Glad to hear you were running 10/10th... as this was my first day in the GT4 and around 75% maybe.
Thanks! Yes, I would say I was pushing it as hard as my skill would allow. I really do not do anything in moderation if that tells you anything...

Originally Posted by MGSGT4
great running with you guys at road atlanta over the weekend -
1:43 was my best so far, but on stock alignment.
see you soon !
Likewise!

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
That was a great weekend at the track! So many GT4s came out to run strong at Road Atlanta.

Got a 1:39 on day 3, all stock with roll bar and harness on PSS, but no PCCB like Accel Junky!
That's really impressive with PSS! I didn't realize you weren't on the factory tires. I would say Cup2s like me and you would handily be below my 1:38 given that.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:06 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe

rear toe 6mm TOTAL toe in
Got this from Orthojoe's thread.

Getting my car re-aligned tomorrow and wanted to add some additional rear toe (still dancing a bit too much in the rear on HARD braking) and wanted to see if rear toe helps.

My shop uses degrees and not mm and having a bit of trouble converting the 6mm to degrees.

I have the same re71r setup on 19's and ran the 6mm through a calculator and got around 0.5 degrees TOTAL toe, or 0.25 degrees per wheel. (I have about 0.3 degrees total, or 0.15 degrees per wheel right now.)

For anyone that knows how to do the conversion, does this sound reasonable to get me to the 6mm "standard" that most of us track junkies are settling on?
Old 10-25-2016, 12:18 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,355 Likes on 826 Posts

Originally Posted by myBailey07
Got this from Orthojoe's thread.

Getting my car re-aligned tomorrow and wanted to add some additional rear toe (still dancing a bit too much in the rear on HARD braking) and wanted to see if rear toe helps.

My shop uses degrees and not mm and having a bit of trouble converting the 6mm to degrees.

I have the same re71r setup on 19's and ran the 6mm through a calculator and got around 0.5 degrees TOTAL toe, or 0.25 degrees per wheel. (I have about 0.3 degrees total, or 0.15 degrees per wheel right now.)

For anyone that knows how to do the conversion, does this sound reasonable to get me to the 6mm "standard" that most of us track junkies are settling on?
Think minutes instead of degrees. See attachment.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
toe_conversion_table-cw-v3.pdf (190.9 KB, 161 views)
Old 11-14-2016, 05:55 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Could someone help me here with theory on GT4 suspension setup?

At 33/35 psi hot w/ Cup2s, -1.8F/-1.3R camber, zero toe front and in 0.08/0.09 toe in rear I felt like the car was phenomenal at what was basically 10/10ths for me. No issues with tire wear at all. Zero understeer...a tiny bit loose in fact. Very satisfied in other words. That being said...everyone likes to go faster.

What is on the table in my case with the extra parts needed for more negative camber (the toe links, lockouts etc...)? Will that simply allow me to run lower tire pressures on the Cup2s without rolling them over?

Basically, I almost feel like I could simply add more power and continue driving the car as hard as I want without touching the suspension further and be none-the-wiser. I'm just not sure what is left on the table suspension-wise by staying where I'm at.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:43 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Originally Posted by Accel Junky
Could someone help me here with theory on GT4 suspension setup?

At 33/35 psi hot w/ Cup2s, -1.8F/-1.3R camber, zero toe front and in 0.08/0.09 toe in rear I felt like the car was phenomenal at what was basically 10/10ths for me. No issues with tire wear at all. Zero understeer...a tiny bit loose in fact. Very satisfied in other words. That being said...everyone likes to go faster.

What is on the table in my case with the extra parts needed for more negative camber (the toe links, lockouts etc...)? Will that simply allow me to run lower tire pressures on the Cup2s without rolling them over?

Basically, I almost feel like I could simply add more power and continue driving the car as hard as I want without touching the suspension further and be none-the-wiser. I'm just not sure what is left on the table suspension-wise by staying where I'm at.
My general self-imposed "rule" after quite a bit of pro coaching is that unless there is clear evidence that the car is holding you back, there is no reason to mod. Given that, if the car feels good to you and you feel it is not holding you back driving at 10/10ths (for you) there is no real reason to mod the car, in my opinion. The only benefit I can see is maybe saving you a bit in tire wear, as at your camber the outside edges of the cup 2's will wear much faster than the rest of the tires.

As folks start going much faster and start pushing the limits of the car and subsequently also the wear on tires, brakes etc. we start seeing certain patterns emerge. This wiki was an attempt to consolidate the "collective wisdom" of some very experienced folks in order to optimize the setup of the car for these patterns and simply a guideline.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:49 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Default RE71R vs Cup 2's

First proper test at cota for the re71r's this last weekend. As other's have stated - they are the sh#t compared to cup 2's! Better grip, better feedback, better wear and half the price. Whoop, whoop!

BTW, ran the 265/285 19" setup that mooty have been yelling about for a while. The man is wise....

Wiki needs updating. I'll get around to it soon as I was out of country for a while
Old 11-25-2016, 11:24 AM
Drjimh
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Schroth 4 point harness

My car is a year old now. Track season is done. Got in 6 events, now it is time to make some changes. Has anyone had any experience with the Schroth 4 pt harness system?

http://www.competitionmotorsport.com...Schroth4PT.htm

It the past I have always run a 5 or 6 pt system. This intrigues me due to the fact that I would not have to modify the passenger seat. Schroth claims that the technology prevents submarining. Just curious if anyone has used this? If you have, I want your feedback.

thanks
Jim
Old 11-25-2016, 12:20 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 527 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Drjimh
My car is a year old now. Track season is done. Got in 6 events, now it is time to make some changes. Has anyone had any experience with the Schroth 4 pt harness system?

It the past I have always run a 5 or 6 pt system. This intrigues me due to the fact that I would not have to modify the passenger seat. Schroth claims that the technology prevents submarining. Just curious if anyone has used this? If you have, I want your feedback.

thanks
Jim
I'm currently using that system but will probably go ahead with a harness bar and 5 or 6 pt for next season. The 2 issues I have with the system are:

I don't like the push button release. It's hard to locate/press even with your helmet off and you really need to press it in all the way to release the shoulder straps.

My other issue is that I can't seem to get the shoulder straps as tight as I was used to with the Schroth 5 pt I had in my previous car. I attribute that to the length and routing of the shoulder belts.

That being said I believe this is a better system then the stock 3 pt. I wouldn't worry about submarining, especially if you have some stomach like I do.

Rich
Old 11-25-2016, 01:08 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

How did you attach the shoulder harness of the 4-point?
Old 11-25-2016, 04:13 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 625 Likes on 390 Posts

thanks
Jim

Great question. I was going to ask which of the Schroth harness systems is best for a GT4. I recognize the passenger seat isn't pre-cut for the anti-sub component.

Other people have thoughts and experiences?
Old 11-25-2016, 04:16 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Has anyone had any experience with the Schroth 4 pt harness system?

Jim
I used their similar 4 point system with the ASM technology in my e92 M3 for quite a while. I thought it worked very well and was happy. Not quite as good a full six points, but pretty close. Major improvement over three point. Worth it if you don't want to cut seats.

Only downside is that you occasionally may get into arguments with tech personnel whether they are legal, or not, trying to explain the ASM part of the harness to folks that simply blindly classify 4 points as illegal.
Old 11-25-2016, 04:44 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by myBailey07
I used their similar 4 point system with the ASM technology in my e92 M3 for quite a while. I thought it worked very well and was happy. Not quite as good a full six points, but pretty close. Major improvement over three point. Worth it if you don't want to cut seats.

Only downside is that you occasionally may get into arguments with tech personnel whether they are legal, or not, trying to explain the ASM part of the harness to folks that simply blindly classify 4 points as illegal.
+1 - Been there with PCA 9 years ago when they banned 4-point systems. I finally got them to accept Schroth's ASM technology.
Old 11-25-2016, 04:45 PM
IPSA
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
I'm currently using that system but will probably go ahead with a harness bar and 5 or 6 pt for next season. The 2 issues I have with the system are:

I don't like the push button release. It's hard to locate/press even with your helmet off and you really need to press it in all the way to release the shoulder straps.

My other issue is that I can't seem to get the shoulder straps as tight as I was used to with the Schroth 5 pt I had in my previous car. I attribute that to the length and routing of the shoulder belts.

That being said I believe this is a better system then the stock 3 pt. I wouldn't worry about submarining, especially if you have some stomach like I do.

Rich
I called Schroth usa and asked if they could make the 4 point with their standard race buckle. The said yes and you can then add the sub straps down the road if you decide to go that route.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:03 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 527 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
How did you attach the shoulder harness of the 4-point?
The shoulder belts attach to a bar at the bottom/back of the LWBs.

I wish I had known one could order the std 5 pt buckle with the unit. I just assumed the buckle would be the same as the 5/6pts.
Old 11-26-2016, 03:06 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
The shoulder belts attach to a bar at the bottom/back of the LWBs.

I wish I had known one could order the std 5 pt buckle with the unit. I just assumed the buckle would be the same as the 5/6pts.
If I understand your set-up, your connection greatly exceeds the recommended
angle for the harnesses. You should install a proper harness bar. You wouldn't pass tech in my Region.

The Schroth 4 point belt is specifically approved by PCA for use with the full bucket seats found in the GT4 and GT3 only.

Quick Reply: Experiment - GT4 Track Setup Wiki: