Sponsored by: APR

Experiment - GT4 Track Setup Wiki:

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 02:57 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,987 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
There are a couple benefits of using camber plates with/with out shims.
1) It gives you an extra degree of freedom when trying to stuff a wider tire. Plates move the top of the wheel in in, shims pull the bottom out. Shims move the stance of the car wider, so if you have a wheel that already has an aggressive offset, you might be challenged to run a wider tire.
2) My setup guy (Eric) at ATX has a hypothesis that using shims is lowering the wheel rate and making the roll issue/understeer/tire wear worse. Not a huge amount, maybe 2-4% but enough to impact.

The issue with the old Tarret camber plates is that they rotated the strut, which removed a couple degrees of caster, somewhat negating the impact of running higher negative camber. Higher caster gives you more negative camber as the steering input increases. The new design is supposed to address the caster reduction.
Did Ira say when the new camber plate would be out? I have my car going in to BBI for some track mods and suspension adjustment.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:18 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Did Ira say when the new camber plate would be out? I have my car going in to BBI for some track mods and suspension adjustment.
ATX just put them on and re-setup the car. Hoping Ira will give me some credit towards these from the prior design I bought in March.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:53 AM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OlsenMotorsports
Thanks!

Here are the pictures. I can do a write up on install procedures etc. Kind of a pain to get to as the whole side skirt has to come off.

Made out of 308 stainless. Laser cut, laser bent, then hand welded. Same screen style and material as all our screens. Super Beefy

-Tim

Don't know why the mounted one's image is rotated! Sorry about that.
Looks awesome...are they hard to remove? I am thinking eventually there will be a pile-up of small bits that make it through the screen.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:54 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

ATX just put them on and re-setup the car. Hoping Ira will give me some credit towards these from the prior design I bought in March.
What made you go camber plates vs shims?
Old 08-09-2016, 08:39 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OlsenMotorsports
Made out of 308 stainless. Laser cut, laser bent, then hand welded. Same screen style and material as all our screens. Super Beefy
Was @ Lime Rock Friday and saw these on a GT4 Clubsport. They looked great.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:40 AM
OlsenMotorsports
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by texasviany
Looks awesome...are they hard to remove? I am thinking eventually there will be a pile-up of small bits that make it through the screen.
Its not hard to remove, just time consuming.

The side skirt must be removed to access the bolts on the backside that retain the GT4 scoop. Fairly simple to do, just time consuming
Old 08-09-2016, 11:16 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,633 Likes on 2,316 Posts

^ tim sells some of the best stuff.

so, bro, when are you sending me a set?
i hope before i sell my GT4 next week!!!!

send to chasen so he can get them on my car
Old 08-10-2016, 10:32 AM
OlsenMotorsports
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
^ tim sells some of the best stuff.

so, bro, when are you sending me a set?
i hope before i sell my GT4 next week!!!!

send to chasen so he can get them on my car
HAHA He has a set we sent for his car. Steal them from him!

No worries send a set asap
Old 08-10-2016, 03:10 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,633 Likes on 2,316 Posts

^ send it. but not the brake duct thing yet.
i need my reputation of killing pads rotors in one day
Old 08-15-2016, 08:24 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

^ you have electric E brake now, so you cannot do handbrake turns anymore.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:08 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
What made you go camber plates vs shims?
I think I explained that a few posts up. Net is that it helps fit a 265 a bit better than with shims, on an offset I am stuck with. These new plates theoretically help recover a bit of the caster you lose with centering the wheels with thrust bushings as well, but I'm not aligning it myself, so I don't know if that is true.

My suspension guy also has a theory, though we're talking a couple % maybe, that shims reduce the spring rate.....I think that is unlikely to be noticed, but I suppose anything might help the car stay in a better part of its camber curve and add minutes to the tire wear, though I'd rather the increased track.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:48 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

I think I explained that a few posts up. Net is that it helps fit a 265 a bit better than with shims, on an offset I am stuck with. These new plates theoretically help recover a bit of the caster you lose with centering the wheels with thrust bushings as well, but I'm not aligning it myself, so I don't know if that is true.

My suspension guy also has a theory, though we're talking a couple % maybe, that shims reduce the spring rate.....I think that is unlikely to be noticed, but I suppose anything might help the car stay in a better part of its camber curve and add minutes to the tire wear, though I'd rather the increased track.
Ah, got it. Sounds like they perform the same function as the Porsche Motorsports GT4 Clubsport strut tops (they move the strut mounting center to increase camber / reduce caster). I hear those are ~$350 or so a pair (if you can find a shop that can order them for you).
Old 08-17-2016, 04:18 AM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

ShakeNBake's excellent diagrams on the same topic from another thread - https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9158...l#post13097224
Old 08-22-2016, 08:21 PM
jslee225
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just ordered a set of 265/35 and 305/30 re71r, coming from 245/285 on 19 OZs I think i'll be the first person trying this setup.

According to my shop it will move the rake in the direction we want without any other change, which will increase tire life by spreading the load over more tire resulting in decreasing tire temps. They can't quantify how much more tire life I will see, but that is the most tire we can fit on the car.

I'm having to try this out b/c I'm currently burning through tires. For ex, after 2 days at COTA on brand new tires they have ~40% tread left.

Wish me luck, I'll hopefully (305 rear may not make it in time) try them out at cota over labor day weekend! Any suggestions definitely appreciated!
Old 08-22-2016, 10:53 PM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you doing any other mods or just wheel and tires? Let us know if they rub.

Quick Reply: Experiment - GT4 Track Setup Wiki: