Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Monobloc
Old 10-04-2017, 09:01 AM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 4carl
You probably can get -2.2 with just adding shims to the lower control arm. Don't know about the castor ? Carl
i have Tarrett Race camber plates up front that get me to -2.5 ( could do more, but this is a DD as well) and allows factory caster settings.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:05 AM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Wow - I've never heard of something like that happening to a set of forgelines. I'm on my 4th set, and know of a few others who are not exactly easy on their wheels. Knowing forgeline, I'd expect them to take care of you.
I have Forgeline 19” GA1R’s on the GT3 and 19” OZ Legerra’s on the GT4 (as well as forged OEM on both)—always check all 4 wheels for cracks between sessions which I’m sure most of us do...

I am also surprised to hear the Forgelines are cracking on track😫
Old 10-04-2017, 10:30 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
I have Forgeline 19” GA1R’s on the GT3 and 19” OZ Legerra’s on the GT4 (as well as forged OEM on both)—always check all 4 wheels for cracks between sessions which I’m sure most of us do...

I am also surprised to hear the Forgelines are cracking on track😫
They were GT1 wheels a friend was letting me borrow. The were not the competition grade wheels that are warrantied for track use by forgeline. The crack was on the inner lip of the barrel. It would be very hard to see on a casual inspection. The clue was that tire pressure was slowly leaking, but the tires looked fine.

To forgeline's credit, they have reached out to me and are making arrangements to have the wheels sent back to them for inspection. I must say the commitment to their brand is very impressive.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:52 PM
jslee225
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi joe , curious why you decided to go 235 upfront rather than 265? Thx

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Reviving my dead thread with some updates.

I finally decided to give Hoosier R7s a try just to see what they can do. I've avoided them for a very long time because of the cost, longevity, and I didn't think I was quite ready for them.

I mounted 235/35-19 on my 19x8.5 OZs, and 295/30-19 on my 19x11 OZs. Per hoosier recommendations, I did a 'break in' heat cycle 2 weeks ago where I slowly built up speed over 3 laps, did one hot lap, and then brought the car in. At that point, the wheels were taken off the car and sat in a garage for 2 weeks.
Whether or not this does anything, I don't know. We'll see how many good sessions I get out of these tires.

I returned to Thunderhill yesterday and remounted the wheels and gave them a go. Very consistent grip and consistent times. The first session yielded multiple 1:57 laps in a row within 0.2 seconds of each other until I hit traffic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgqj2tyw3Gg&t=3s

The second session yielded a 1:57.0 on the first lap, and I flirted with 1:56, but I dropped 2 off at T10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mheyaFqFUCo

Here is my best on RE71R

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osrdqmCmZXo

Some interesting points:

1) Despite intake/ambient temps being around 20 degrees higher with R7 (detrimental, IMO), lap time was 2.4 seconds faster on R7. Given equal conditions, I'll bet they are 3 seconds faster

2) Theoretical best based on split times of 5 sectors was 1:56.2. I agree with 24Chromium that someone who really knows what they are doing can do 1:55 in this car on R7s.

3) I switched back to RE71 in the afternoon to save the tires for Laguna Seca next week. While I was slower, I had just as much fun in the RE71R tires.

4) My best in the GT3 on RE71R in better conditions was 1:57.3.

Data on RE71R vs R7:

R7 in blue. RE71R in red.
I'm clearly not taking full advantage of the tires yet, especially at T5,10,11,14/15. I messed up T8 and that cost me a 1:56.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:27 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,051 Likes on 540 Posts

What was the outcome after Forgeline looked at the wheel?
Old 01-01-2018, 05:28 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Alan C.
What was the outcome after Forgeline looked at the wheel?
They never got back to me
Old 01-01-2018, 06:22 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 787 Posts

Joe, the video of you honking at that Mustang was painful to watch...so much for being aware of one's surroundings...
Old 01-01-2018, 10:53 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JAhmed
Joe, the video of you honking at that Mustang was painful to watch...so much for being aware of one's surroundings...
Thank for checking out my channel, LOL! That guy was totally clueless. He was put in his place after he got kicked to the back of the grid because of his slow times. The nice thing about speedSF is that they grid you by lap time after the first session. I'm sure he was shocked that there were 6 other cars lined up between me and him after he lined up pole for the first session
Old 01-02-2018, 02:12 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 629 Likes on 385 Posts

Thank for checking out my channel, LOL! That guy was totally clueless. He was put in his place after he got kicked to the back of the grid because of his slow times. The nice thing about speedSF is that they grid you by lap time after the first session. I'm sure he was shocked that there were 6 other cars lined up between me and him after he lined up pole for the first session
LOVE the idea of staging cars by lap time as measured during a 1st session. Glad SpeedSF is starting to do something like this.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:12 AM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 787 Posts

HAHA I live vicariously through your channel during the track off-season...its like -13*F in Chicago right now...
Old 01-03-2018, 11:03 AM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 236 Posts

One DE at NOLA involved 3 run groups running together due to time constraints. To manage this, they asked us to grid based on speed. It was by far the most fun and learning I ever had on a track since the car ahead of me was slightly faster and the car behind me was slightly slower .... until one of us improved. I very much like the idea of staging based on track times! It nearly eliminates passing problems, and builds comradery with the drivers that are at your speed.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:15 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
One DE at NOLA involved 3 run groups running together due to time constraints. To manage this, they asked us to grid based on speed. It was by far the most fun and learning I ever had on a track since the car ahead of me was slightly faster and the car behind me was slightly slower .... until one of us improved. I very much like the idea of staging based on track times! It nearly eliminates passing problems, and builds comradery with the drivers that are at your speed.
Yup! Kudos to SpeedSF for doing that. It is more work on their part, but it makes their events the most enjoyable and it is much SAFER
Old 01-03-2018, 11:46 AM
m3bs
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 99 Posts

I wish more groups would suggest staging that way. It doesn’t have to be perfect, but when the fast guys are up front and the more conservative (slow) ones at the back everyone has a better session. It really irritates me when that same GT3RS has to stage first every time, and he’s the slowest car in the group.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:27 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 213 Likes on 124 Posts

Speedventures does that too, works really well for the most part, particularly as the day goes on. But you have to get some of the drivers to understand that the out laps are for warming tires and are not indicative of everyone's fast laps, and therefore no need to pass prematurely only to have to re-pass that person a few laps later.

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings