Sponsored by: APR

Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 11:46 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

One more thing I wanted to mention:

Re71r tires grip all of the way to the end. No real drop off throughout the life of the tire
Old 03-24-2017, 01:54 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
One more thing I wanted to mention:

Re71r tires grip all of the way to the end. No real drop off throughout the life of the tire
I plan on using RE71R on my Time Attack S2000 the next go around. I have heard that the overall life of the tire is good with many getting good times throughout the weekend.

I've been using Hankook RS3 and Advan AD08R's for as long as I can remember but with all the rave reviews of the RE71R i must try them.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:06 PM
doborder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to reiterate what orthojoe said... RE71R good to the last drop. He was still pulling 2:00 lap times on these guys. Stiffer springs... totally even wear.
I have the usual suspension bits. Camber in the front is -3.1... Rear is -2.7 I believe. Essentially the same as orthojoe
Also, I'm on Tarrett springs. No DSC

FRONT TIRE

REAR TIRE
Old 03-25-2017, 11:52 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Old 03-26-2017, 06:16 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 560 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by doborder
I wanted to reiterate what orthojoe said... RE71R good to the last drop. He was still pulling 2:00 lap times on these guys. Stiffer springs... totally even wear.
I have the usual suspension bits. Camber in the front is -3.1... Rear is -2.7 I believe. Essentially the same as orthojoe

FRONT TIRE

REAR TIRE
WOW I gave up on my first set of these too soon!
Old 03-26-2017, 06:34 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by doborder

FRONT TIRE

REAR TIRE
I think only track people would look at these and think: beautiful.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:11 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
I think only track people would look at these and think: beautiful.
Nah, you're way off base. Beautiful is seeing cords.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:21 AM
doborder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
Nah, you're way off base. Beautiful is seeing cords.
Tough crowd here
Old 03-27-2017, 02:26 AM
doborder
Rennlist Member

orthojoe's fastest time in my car

My fastest lap that day
Old 04-11-2017, 11:06 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice smooth driving! Man the tires look sticky!!!! Love all the cameras and overlay. Im going to have to tell orthojoe to battle you for the "best" video post production =)
Old 05-07-2017, 08:15 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Hey everyone, 3 cars running 19" wheels recently came into this problem. If you have 19" wheels, check for this ASAP.
I was at the track last weekend, and suddenly 2 error messages popped up:

1) brake pad wear, check pads
2) Parking brake fault

My pad wear sensors are not installed on the pads and zip tied out of the way, and I knew my pads were not worn. The car drove just fine, but my parking brake would no longer engage. I finished out the day, thinking that probably one of the pad sensors got caught and destroyed. However, when I got home and took a look at the car, the pad sensors were fine. I took the car into fremont and they discovered this:

This is a wire cable that contains the wires for the brake pad wear sensors and the parking brake controls. It looks like the wheel rubbed through the cable. This is clearance with the oem 20" wheels. No rub and ok, but looks close:

This is what it looks like with my 19x11" OZ wheels:

The cause of the failure was the 19" wheels.
This occured on the REAR PASSENGER side of the car. For whatever reason, the driver side is not affected.
I had doborder take a look at his car because he has the same wheels and setup, and this was his rear passenger side cable:

Same thing. Only caught before the wires were cut through.

Things to consider:
1) These are 19x11 et50 wheels, which are OEM width and offset, but 1" small diameter
2) Car is running aggressive camber in the rear at -2.7 degrees

The cable is mounted to the bracket that you release when doing brake pad changes and have to remove the caliper. The solution is to simply bend the bracket back a bit to get the clearance you need. I had to splice in a wire to fix the completely cut wire and solder together the split wire. Everything is functional again. The wires are all wrapped up. This will do for now until I get around to replacing the entire harness with a new one.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:07 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 629 Likes on 385 Posts

Damn! Glad it was just wiring and not brake hydraulic lines. Thanks for the detailed write-up so folks can look for this.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:22 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks Joe for the heads up 👍
Great meeting you guys today 👍👍
best
Ed
Originally Posted by orthojoe
Hey everyone, 3 cars running 19" wheels recently came into this problem. If you have 19" wheels, check for this ASAP.
I was at the track last weekend, and suddenly 2 error messages popped up:

1) brake pad wear, check pads
2) Parking brake fault

My pad wear sensors are not installed on the pads and zip tied out of the way, and I knew my pads were not worn. The car drove just fine, but my parking brake would no longer engage. I finished out the day, thinking that probably one of the pad sensors got caught and destroyed. However, when I got home and took a look at the car, the pad sensors were fine. I took the car into fremont and they discovered this:

This is a wire cable that contains the wires for the brake pad wear sensors and the parking brake controls. It looks like the wheel rubbed through the cable. This is clearance with the oem 20" wheels. No rub and ok, but looks close:

This is what it looks like with my 19x11" OZ wheels:

The cause of the failure was the 19" wheels.
This occured on the REAR PASSENGER side of the car. For whatever reason, the driver side is not affected.
I had doborder take a look at his car because he has the same wheels and setup, and this was his rear passenger side cable:

Same thing. Only caught before the wires were cut through.

Things to consider:
1) These are 19x11 et50 wheels, which are OEM width and offset, but 1" small diameter
2) Car is running aggressive camber in the rear at -2.7 degrees

The cable is mounted to the bracket that you release when doing brake pad changes and have to remove the caliper. The solution is to simply bend the bracket back a bit to get the clearance you need. I had to splice in a wire to fix the completely cut wire and solder together the split wire. Everything is functional again. The wires are all wrapped up. This will do for now until I get around to replacing the entire harness with a new one.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:37 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Thanks Joe for the heads up 👍
Great meeting you guys today 👍👍
best
Ed
Likewise! Wish we had some time for more track talk!
Old 05-07-2017, 10:45 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,051 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Damn! Glad it was just wiring and not brake hydraulic lines. Thanks for the detailed write-up so folks can look for this.
I just replaced the right rear brake hard line. That thing routes through the body like a drunken snake. I screwed the fitting uo changing out the new Spiegler lines. Major PITA.

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings