Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 12:53 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

Probably best to use a pyrometer and measure temperatures across the tires.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:07 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Probably best to use a pyrometer and measure temperatures across the tires.
+1 And even better if you can have a friend standing in pit lane when you come in to help get the temps quickly.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:38 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I don't think you can extrapolate any info on tire pressures from a clubsport running totally different tires, but nonetheless I think trying a lower pressure might not be a bad idea.

For the record, I hate trofeoR. Way too fussy with pressures, and while the Front tires last longer, the rears on the GT3 will wear out after 2 track days.
Never had that problem with my Pirellis on my M3, and would certainly run them on the GT4 if they made the appropriate sizes in 19".

As for the wear on the GT3, last time I checked this was the GT4 forum, so who cares.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:49 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,355 Likes on 826 Posts

Originally Posted by krell
Never had that problem with my Pirellis on my M3, and would certainly run them on the GT4 if they made the appropriate sizes in 19".

As for the wear on the GT3, last time I checked this was the GT4 forum, so who cares.
Interesting how you "just" mentioned Pirellis instead of the actual model thereof and then try to bust orthojoe's, one of the most informative members on RL, ***** for listing a different model car from the same manufacturer keeping in mind that the GT4 uses the GT3s front end setup.

Now what was this about a BMW and Pirellis again?
Old 04-23-2016, 05:02 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ExMB
Interesting how you "just" mentioned Pirellis instead of the actual model thereof and then try to bust orthojoe's, one of the most informative members on RL, ***** for listing a different model car from the same manufacturer keeping in mind that the GT4 uses the GT3s front end setup.

Now what was this about a BMW and Pirellis again?
Oh relax.

I was referring to the Trofeo Rs, which is what he was talking about. I'm aware the front setup similarities, but comparing tire wear between a mid-engine and rear engine is a bit of misnomer, don't you think?

Ultimately it all comes down to driving style and the tracks you frequent. All we can do at the end of the day is use that as guidelines to make our decisions. I just find it interesting that he often disparages the Trofeo R.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:07 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,355 Likes on 826 Posts

Oh relax.

I was referring to the Trofeo Rs, which is what he was talking about. I'm aware the front setup similarities, but comparing tire wear between a mid-engine and rear engine is a bit of misnomer, don't you think?

Ultimately it all comes down to driving style and the tracks you frequent. All we can do at the end of the day is use that as guidelines to make our decisions. I just find it interesting that he often disparages the Trofeo R.
Rear engine vs (rear engine in front of the rear wheels) mid engine compared to a front engine over the front wheels with a completely different manufacturer as well as no MY, age, indication.

Are you related to Kibort on here?

Relax

Old 04-23-2016, 05:29 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Ouch...
Old 04-23-2016, 06:41 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Rear engine vs (rear engine in front of the rear wheels) mid engine compared to a front engine over the front wheels with a completely different manufacturer as well as no MY, age, indication.

Relax

Originally Posted by myBailey07
Ouch...
Frankly I have no idea who you are talking about. And ultimately it really doesn't matter who that person is.

2005 M3, full MCS 2WNR, Hotchkis front sway, Rogue Engineering FCABs, Bimmerworld RTABs, six-pot Brembos on the front, fours on the rear running RT RE-10s. Car is doing 310hp at the wheels and does a 2:35 at Road America on non-slicks.

Now then, what else can I help you with?

If you feel the need to police this forum, I'm truly sorry. Honestly I'm grateful for OrthoJoe's feedback, as I am for everyone else's. That's how tribal knowledge of one individual builds the collective's. Agreed?

So please, let's move on, shall we? We're all friends here, right?
Old 04-23-2016, 07:00 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Frankly I have no idea who you are talking about. And ultimately it really doesn't matter who that person is.

So please, let's move on, shall we? We're all friends here, right?
No stress..
Old 04-23-2016, 07:21 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

My buddy ran trofeoR on the spyder (mid engine) and hated them. He holds the best lap times on the spyder and the gt3 that I am aware of.
3 people driving the same gt3 went through 2 sets of trofeoR and hated them. Were no faster in them over cup2
USCtrojan ran them on his GT4 and hated them

There is a pattern
Old 04-23-2016, 09:14 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,987 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by rraustin
Makes sense. I only have 6 HC's on them so far. Ran Trofeo R's last year and was able to get about 25 HC's before I hit cord.

Thanks
Originally Posted by orthojoe
My buddy ran trofeoR on the spyder (mid engine) and hated them. He holds the best lap times on the spyder and the gt3 that I am aware of.
3 people driving the same gt3 went through 2 sets of trofeoR and hated them. Were no faster in them over cup2
USCtrojan ran them on his GT4 and hated them

There is a pattern
Yeah, I hate those tires...heat cycled out in 6-7 HCs. Complete fail in my opinion. I'd wager that the RE-71R are just as fast if not faster than fresh Trofeo Rs and best part they cost about 1/2 the price and last 2x as long. I still haven't corded my first set of RE-71Rs and I have 22 HCs on them. I think they are good for about 24-25 HCs for me and I'm not easy on tires.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:03 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Waiting for re71r in oem sizes.....
Old 04-23-2016, 11:07 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Yeah, I hate those tires...heat cycled out in 6-7 HCs. Complete fail in my opinion. I'd wager that the RE-71R are just as fast if not faster than fresh Trofeo Rs and best part they cost about 1/2 the price and last 2x as long. I still haven't corded my first set of RE-71Rs and I have 22 HCs on them. I think they are good for about 24-25 HCs for me and I'm not easy on tires.
How do you like the RE-71Rs in terms of grip compared to Cup 2s assuming roughly the same widths on each axle? I know they're not intended to be in quite the same league, but do you feel like you're missing out running the RE-71Rs? If not then I too would be inclined to get them in OEM sizes when that's a possibility.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:16 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,987 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
How do you like the RE-71Rs in terms of grip compared to Cup 2s assuming roughly the same widths on each axle? I know they're not intended to be in quite the same league, but do you feel like you're missing out running the RE-71Rs? If not then I too would be inclined to get them in OEM sizes when that's a possibility.
The RE-71Rs have as good or a touch better grip than the Cup2s and about the same wear (the RE-71Rs seem to have beefy tread though). They talk more to you than Cup2s as well (which I like) and they just don't heat cycle out. They are a little louder than the Cup2s when driving around on the street but quieter than NT01s. I love the RE-71Rs and would get them in a heart beat on every car that I own (hope I'm not sounding like a fan boy).

I'll take pictures of my front tires tomorrow to show you guys how they look after 22 HCs and about 1,500 total miles.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:23 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
The RE-71Rs have as good or a touch better grip than the Cup2s and about the same wear (the RE-71Rs seem to have beefy tread though). They talk more to you than Cup2s as well (which I like) and they just don't heat cycle out. They are a little louder than the Cup2s when driving around on the street but quieter than NT01s. I love the RE-71Rs and would get them in a heart beat on every car that I own (hope I'm not sounding like a fan boy).

I'll take pictures of my front tires tomorrow to show you guys how they look after 22 HCs and about 1,500 total miles.
Wow, nice!! I guess the Cup 2s have been around for a while, so maybe Bridgestone just has a better tire on all meaningful fronts now. I wonder if a Cup 3 is on the horizon....

How are they on the road and/or track in the wet if you've tried them there? Since at least for now I'm hoping to avoid a set of dedicated track wheels, I have to consider that at least somewhat when choosing a full-time tire. But if they're even reasonable there, I'm looking forward to them being available in stock sizes since I just noticed on Tire Rack that the N0 version of the Cup 2 front size is $472 (a more than 50% markup over the Ferrari spec of the same size!!) compared to $278 for the Bridgestones!

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings