Sponsored by: APR

Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 12:59 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
^ If the wear problem is mainly at outer edges, you might try running higher pressure to move the contact patch inwards, and not hammering the car during initial laps until pressures are high enough.
Are you talking about the rear tires of the GT3? We've been running higher pressures on that car in the rear (34-35psi hot) and it still hasnt helped
Old 04-09-2016, 04:05 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,294 Likes on 2,447 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Are you talking about the rear tires of the GT3? We've been running higher pressures on that car in the rear (34-35psi hot) and it still hasnt helped
I was talking in general. 34-35 hot seems high enough, but you might try going up another 1-2 psi and see what happens.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:45 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,138 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
Yes. It does this two ways. First, as soon as you begin to press the brake pedal, the DSC will send the signal to the shocks to firm up the front. Brake pressure is one of our inputs gathered through the CAN line. Secondly, as soon as that longitudinal g-force begins to shift toward the front of the car, the DSC is also going to account for this in the g-table. This is just one of many ways the DSC controller helps to improve vehicle stability and chassis control.
Does the DSC throw any PASM codes? Ever? Thanks carl
Old 04-10-2016, 01:38 AM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4carl
What difference would it make since you have a totally independent unit controlling the dampers? The main ECU has lost control at this point and is a passenger when it come to the suspension. Unless you are just worried about dash lights.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:40 AM
rraustin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have had DSC installed for a week and about 300 street miles and no codes so far.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:17 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

I'd be more inclined this DSC system was providing more than just placebo if there was more quantitative data on exactly what it was doing vs. stock on the same track and same situations with a pro driver,band the resulting impact.

My data I mean actual raw suspension data coming into the DSC module get it is processing, and what it is doing as a result. For example, this would show how DSC has the dampers configured in transient throughout a specific turn transition, overlayed vs stock, and the resulting suspension travel difference and sector time difference, etc.

That is, PROVE this is actually doing something more intelligent than Porsche is already. In general I am very skeptical of small "engineering" teams hacking things like this from the outside without all the original tools and capabilities that the designers had and ending up in something that isn't worse, let alone better.

Testimonials from people driving the car before and after just aren't reliable tools... would you trust a butt dyno?
Old 04-10-2016, 02:12 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
I'd be more inclined this DSC system was providing more than just placebo if there was more quantitative data on exactly what it was doing vs. stock on the same track and same situations with a pro driver,band the resulting impact.

My data I mean actual raw suspension data coming into the DSC module get it is processing, and what it is doing as a result. For example, this would show how DSC has the dampers configured in transient throughout a specific turn transition, overlayed vs stock, and the resulting suspension travel difference and sector time difference, etc.

That is, PROVE this is actually doing something more intelligent than Porsche is already. In general I am very skeptical of small "engineering" teams hacking things like this from the outside without all the original tools and capabilities that the designers had and ending up in something that isn't worse, let alone better.

Testimonials from people driving the car before and after just aren't reliable tools... would you trust a butt dyno?
If you are interested in the product, I suggest giving them a call to discuss your concerns. They were very candid about both benefits and limitations when I spoke with them.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:17 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 944 Likes on 525 Posts

For those who would like to see video of DSC shock dyno demo and output data on a car-

DSC demo on Roehrig Shock Dyno-

DSC data on GT3 Cup race car (Courtesy of CRex)-

Here is CRex's full post of the Data Visualization in the 997 GT2/GT3 section-
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...isualized.html

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 04-10-2016, 08:01 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
I'd be more inclined this DSC system was providing more than just placebo if there was more quantitative data on exactly what it was doing vs. stock on the same track and same situations with a pro driver,band the resulting impact. My data I mean actual raw suspension data coming into the DSC module get it is processing, and what it is doing as a result. For example, this would show how DSC has the dampers configured in transient throughout a specific turn transition, overlayed vs stock, and the resulting suspension travel difference and sector time difference, etc. That is, PROVE this is actually doing something more intelligent than Porsche is already. In general I am very skeptical of small "engineering" teams hacking things like this from the outside without all the original tools and capabilities that the designers had and ending up in something that isn't worse, let alone better. Testimonials from people driving the car before and after just aren't reliable tools... would you trust a butt dyno?
It's a good point you make. I have done a full analysis of my lap times recently at my local track with and without DSC but test to swap the units over on the same day which will be the ultimate test. Using the channel data from Obd2 Aim I came to the conclusion after much data sifting that the DSC was giving me a solid 0.4s per lap advantage over a 2.8km track I'm familiar with. There is still some tuning improvements that are needed as eluded to before so that may result in another two tenth sun the future. It's not exact science but better than a butt dyno. Further imperial evidence would be useful no doubt, but for the spend compared with tyres, rotors and pads it's a relatively cheap experiment....
Old 04-11-2016, 10:38 AM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

No, the DSC won't throw any PASM codes. Between my old Cayman R (with stand-alone DSC) and my current GT4, I have never gotten a PASM- or suspension-related error code.

The only thing I've noticed as far as "unusual" electronic conditions in the car is that you can't access the DSC box via the Durametric Pro software -- the Durametric just says it can't access that component and acts like PASM isn't installed. And honestly, that's not really a surprise, since DSC isn't PASM. Also, I've checked all the other systems that are accessible with Durametric Pro, and there are no codes anywhere related to the suspension or suspension controller that I can find.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:33 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

We haven't heard much from orthojoe lately so I thought I'd post a few ramblings of my own after finally taking my GT4 to the track for the first time this past weekend.

I can't recall people complaining about the gas gauge but I was constantly getting low fuel warnings when I still had half a tank. Annoying! Does anyone use their SoloDL to look at fuel level? Curious if the same data that causes the low fuel warning in the dash also causes the fuel level on the Solo to be skewed.

The oem brake pads suck. Not much bite and not much feel. They wear quickly too. There is so much swept area on this car that slowing the car down was never a problem in spite of the crummy pads. Really awesome they put these brakes on this car!!

Huge rear grip on the car. I took the car to a short, tight track with one sharp, steeply uphill corner that becomes a showcase for every car's lack of rear grip and/or lack of a good LSD. The GT4 did just fine here. Surprisingly easy to put the power down.

There doesn't appear to be a huge difference in the level or the threshold at which PSM and traction control intervene when they are on or off. I liked that. Might as well leave everything off. Others here agree?

I thought I was good at heel and toe. Who needs auto-blip, right? I DO!!! Geez, it's fantastic. Makes me feel like I'm cheating.

Coming from my fully race-prepped 987 Cayman the GT4 felt like it was very softly sprung. You really feel the weight of the car moving around under heavy braking and in abrupt transitions. That certainly makes running over the curbing more of an option at some tracks. But, personally, I think the car is too soft for serious track duty. Stiffer springs, a better alignment and corner balancing, and some R compound tires would make this car a beast.

Michelin Sport Cup 2's are not Hoosiers. If I was trailering to and from track events I would only run R7’s.

SO glad I got most of the car wrapped with Xpel. My windshield took a beating from stone chips after one track day. Typical of Porsche glass. Very glad the paint had some protection.

The track had a scale and I weighed my car. 2,990 net of fuel. They had a gas pump next to the scale so I filled it up, weighed it and then subtracted 100 lbs for fuel.

Orthojoe I've missed your ramblings! You really need to get to the track more often.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:39 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
We haven't heard much from orthojoe lately so I thought I'd post a few ramblings of my own after finally taking my GT4 to the track for the first time this past weekend.

I can't recall people complaining about the gas gauge but I was constantly getting low fuel warnings when I still had half a tank. Annoying! Does anyone use their SoloDL to look at fuel level? Curious if the same data that causes the low fuel warning in the dash also causes the fuel level on the Solo to be skewed.

The oem brake pads suck. Not much bite and not much feel. They wear quickly too. There is so much swept area on this car that slowing the car down was never a problem in spite of the crummy pads. Really awesome they put these brakes on this car!!

Huge rear grip on the car. I took the car to a short, tight track with one sharp, steeply uphill corner that becomes a showcase for every car's lack of rear grip and/or lack of a good LSD. The GT4 did just fine here. Surprisingly easy to put the power down.

There doesn't appear to be a huge difference in the level or the threshold at which PSM and traction control intervene when they are on or off. I liked that. Might as well leave everything off. Others here agree?

I thought I was good at heel and toe. Who needs auto-blip, right? I DO!!! Geez, it's fantastic. Makes me feel like I'm cheating.

Coming from my fully race-prepped 987 Cayman the GT4 felt like it was very softly sprung. You really feel the weight of the car moving around under heavy braking and in abrupt transitions. That certainly makes running over the curbing more of an option at some tracks. But, personally, I think the car is too soft for serious track duty. Stiffer springs, a better alignment and corner balancing, and some R compound tires would make this car a beast.

Michelin Sport Cup 2's are not Hoosiers. If I was trailering to and from track events I would only run R7’s.

SO glad I got most of the car wrapped with Xpel. My windshield took a beating from stone chips after one track day. Typical of Porsche glass. Very glad the paint had some protection.

The track had a scale and I weighed my car. 2,990 net of fuel. They had a gas pump next to the scale so I filled it up, weighed it and then subtracted 100 lbs for fuel.

Orthojoe I've missed your ramblings! You really need to get to the track more often.
It is a beast with a good alignment and R7s...compltely blew me away on how close it gets to my prior track car.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:13 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
It is a beast with a good alignment and R7s...compltely blew me away on how close it gets to my prior track car.
Wasn't your prior track car an RS of some vintage??
Old 04-19-2016, 11:35 PM
Errsomeone
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't recall people complaining about the gas gauge but I was constantly getting low fuel warnings when I still had half a tank. Annoying!
Agree... Same experience. I have the larger tank and have gotten low indicator much earlier than expected. Somewhat concerned of fuel starvation at some point. I would start the day topped off, fill up mid day and still get a light, over just three sessions in a day.

The oem brake pads suck. Not much bite and not much feel. They wear quickly too. There is so much swept area on this car that slowing the car down was never a problem in spite of the crummy pads.
Also agree. I thought I would be in the minority here, but they had none of the bite I am use to. Though, this is also probably the first time I even considered running a non race pad on track in at least a decade. Already set on ordering new pads and throwing these in the box as a spare set if ever necessary. Either way, I was able to drive around it and they were consistent and predictable. Doubt I would get much more than one more event out of them. Before some notes fluid, I had already switched to SRF.

I decided to leave them on. I used the Porsche Track app every session and monitored with a question of how much it would interfere. To my surprise I found essentially none, but I was also not pushing by any means, just getting the feel of this car.

Again, agree. I generally left it off, but found a couple times I was not quite as smooth as I would like to be under hard braking so turned it on and it smoothed out my rough edges. I still kept my motions and it was not intrusive, so I opted to use it from time to time.

Glad to see all the GT4s at the track.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:37 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Wasn't your prior track car an RS of some vintage??
Yes, .2RS (I put 12k miles on it over 3 years)...I have received a lot of "Bu1lsh1t" sentiment from my brothers in the 997 GT3 forum....but it's the truth from my perspective. It's not faster....but close. Everyone is the Stig. I posted a video of Andy Lally in a .2RS, me in a .2RS, and me in a GT4...all similar tires and about the same lap time, and still....peanut gallery.
RS is more fun, but I ran out of patience with the maintenance - it's a bear when they get older.

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings