Sponsored by: APR

Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 09:55 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

When are you going to Laguna Seca Joe?

Would love to see you pop a 1:37ish there.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:57 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by shockwave
When are you going to Laguna Seca Joe?

Would love to see you pop a 1:37ish there.
Lol. That isn't going to happen. The best I've done in the GT3 is 1:38.

I'll probably go to Mrls in May.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:00 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Lol. That isn't going to happen. The best I've done in the GT3 is 1:38.

I'll probably go to Mrls in May.
If Randy Pobst can do it you can do it!!

In all seriousness i would love to drive my car at MRLS however the sound is preventing me from seriously pursuing it.

Will try to travel up for IMSA this April 29/30.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:47 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Joe, thanks for sharing the video, its great to see you out there hot shoeing it. The 2:01 is a great time and Ill be chasing you and not able to match that for sure!

One question for the board, as you have a good group of commenters here, for those who see this:

T13. Whats in bounds and whats out of bounds? To me, this will get you a flag in a race. I have heard from a number of racers that this extra pavement was unwelcome, and now I see coaches straight lining and telling students to do it. Would love feedback on what is legit, whats a cheater line and where is, the literal line not to cross??

Thunderhill T13 with pavement that some consider out of bounds...
Old 03-30-2016, 11:42 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats Joe see you out there soon. Have you played with rev-matching?
Old 03-30-2016, 11:55 PM
rflavell
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great video Joe! The car sounds fantastic! Is that the stock headers and exhaust?
Old 03-30-2016, 11:57 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by shockwave
If Randy Pobst can do it you can do it!!

In all seriousness i would love to drive my car at MRLS however the sound is preventing me from seriously pursuing it.

Will try to travel up for IMSA this April 29/30.
Lifting for sound isn't a huge deal unless you're chasing for the best lap time. Even then, it's a loss of .5 seconds at the most if you do it right.

Originally Posted by katmeho
Joe, thanks for sharing the video, its great to see you out there hot shoeing it. The 2:01 is a great time and Ill be chasing you and not able to match that for sure!

One question for the board, as you have a good group of commenters here, for those who see this:

T13. Whats in bounds and whats out of bounds? To me, this will get you a flag in a race. I have heard from a number of racers that this extra pavement was unwelcome, and now I see coaches straight lining and telling students to do it. Would love feedback on what is legit, whats a cheater line and where is, the literal line not to cross??

Thunderhill T13 with pavement that some consider out of bounds...
The way I think of it: If there are cones and barrels blocking it, then it is out of bounds. If there are no cones and barrels, it's fair game. LOL.
Looking forward to meeting you Saturday!

Originally Posted by rflavell
Great video Joe! The car sounds fantastic! Is that the stock headers and exhaust?
Stock. It sounds more raw than real life because the mic is clipped to the rear license plate

Originally Posted by eurotom
Congrats Joe see you out there soon. Have you played with rev-matching?
I'm sorry, but do I know you? I used to know this guy named Tom, but that guy would go to the track!

re: rev match. Yes, it works very well. I still like to heel toe myself, but you can use if you don't want to think about it or want a 'redundant' system in place to make sure you don't put strain on the tranny
Old 03-31-2016, 12:26 AM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^heheh. We normal people with kids do not get see more than 5-7 track days a year let alone 38. Now I know why I can never get an Ortho appt

I know you don't need it Joe haha. Okay May I'm at MRLS, June working on it still, one of my kids has a big graduation from preschool, hence 5-7 days above.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:37 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Agree with Joe, take it if there is nothing preventing you from doing so. You do understand the difference between a DE and race, right? Are _you_ racing? You don't get black flagged in a DE for going over the painted lines. You do for going off the pavement.

Thunderhill is always a guessing game as to whether or not T13 or T14/15 will have barricades of one sort or another. You really need to be heads-up on your out lap.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:54 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,633 Likes on 2,316 Posts

correct. if there's a wall, ti's out of bound. if it's just cones, i will take the cone out.
t's really hard to not go across the white line. i am almost always all four wheels to the right of the first white line.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:59 AM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DEs are not races but I do race at TH and I like to practice what's real for a race. That lines good for a second. At least. And if everyone's going to take it then cool. But if some flags are getting thrown then boo. Sounds like consensus is run it if it's there and watch the out lap. I would have thought PCA, SCCA would have something on the books about 4 wheels outside the lines.

Thanks all for feedback. I'll take the liberty now that I was giving up previously.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:01 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,633 Likes on 2,316 Posts

pca will flag you if you are 4 over. 2 is fine. at least no one DQ'd me ;-)
Old 03-31-2016, 02:13 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

^ PCA Club Racing will black flag you. Clearly, the gent who is asking is NOT racing. Otherwise, he would know.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:06 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

DEs are not races but I do race at TH and I like to practice what's real for a race. That lines good for a second. At least. And if everyone's going to take it then cool.
At least one second? No way. I'll prove it on Saturday. It will be 0.1 at the very most. That line doesn't change how early I get on throttle or how much throttle I put down. I'm flat as soon as I hit the apex either way. The only difference is how quickly I can unwind the wheel and how much that extra steering lock slows you down, which is minimal.

You'd be surprised how little certain things affect time. People are always saying that short shifting and lifting at T5 at Laguna Seca loses them several seconds. That's actually not true. I've got data logs that show a 10mph difference entering T6, but that equates to only a loss of 0.5 seconds. Cheating through turn 11-13 at thunderhill will NOT net you more than 10mph down the back straight. Not even close.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:14 AM
Leong72
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Joe, Thanks for taking the time to post. I'd learnt something from your very first post. Unfortunately I'd ordered the front LCA monoball ends and we couldn’t get more than -2.5 camber. Didn’t realise there were “cup” ones available

I’ve been getting four trackdays per set of fronts as well, chasing Macca around our local and South Island tracks. Rears had half the tread left but were probably close to heat cycling out. Now on my third set of tyres since getting the car just before Christmas!! Look forward to reading more about your exploits.

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings