Katmeho's GT4 Track Day Oriented Journal

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 09:56 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
^ u have PM
What happened to KME?? They start fighting?
Old 11-30-2015, 12:50 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,634 Likes on 2,317 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
What happened to KME?? They start fighting?
i think evan left.
mike and kris are together, i do not know the name of the business. i just call either mike or kris.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:19 PM
MSWNCity
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Katmeho,

Ahh! Laguna Seca sounds terrific but we are busy for most of December. Next event will be the Audi Club 2 day event at Thunderhill in early January. Hopefully we can get our alignment taken care of before that time and we'll have some information to share. Have fun at LS and post some thoughts about your modifications and set up!

Cheers,

MW
Old 12-01-2015, 06:48 PM
2fnquik
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Subscribed. Jealous of you west coast guys with your Dec and Jan track days!
Old 12-01-2015, 06:53 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fnquik
Subscribed. Jealous of you west coast guys with your Dec and Jan track days!
There are some benefits, to living in the land of the Fruit and Nuts State
Old 12-03-2015, 02:26 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Work done. -2.5 front -2.0 rears. New solid front arm bushings. Endless brake fluid in. Car feels really planted and more stable in Bay Area traffic 😄. Laguna at 08:00.

Old 12-03-2015, 04:56 PM
katmeho
Pro

One more update on the CAN tap. Not going to do it. Apparently, Porsche is saying that everyone should be hands off on the wiring harness and wiring. That the ECU is sensitive to voltage and wiring changes and that it could cause the car to stop working. Also, the Clubsport Motec unit jumpers in via OBD2 so all car parameters are available, we just need to know how to get them off that port.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:54 PM
MSWNCity
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Katmeho,

Does Porsche consider the clip on CAN readers a violation of the wiring harness? VBox video loggers show this as an accessory and I was considering it as an option to strip and solder.

http://www.racelogic.co.uk/usastore/...Video-VBOX-Pro

Thanks

Mark W.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:26 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by katmeho
One more update on the CAN tap. Not going to do it. Apparently, Porsche is saying that everyone should be hands off on the wiring harness and wiring. That the ECU is sensitive to voltage and wiring changes and that it could cause the car to stop working. Also, the Clubsport Motec unit jumpers in via OBD2 so all car parameters are available, we just need to know how to get them off that port.
I tapped in the the can line on my boxster spyder, my buddy's spyder, my buddy's 997.2 GT3, and my buddy's 991 C2S. No issues IF you do it right. Make sure to ground to the chassis.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:20 AM
katmeho
Pro

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I tapped in the the can line on my boxster spyder, my buddy's spyder, my buddy's 997.2 GT3, and my buddy's 991 C2S. No issues IF you do it right. Make sure to ground to the chassis.
Agreed possible. Been told don't do it as this is a first for Porsche that it will freak out the ECU. Don't know if that's 100% true but willing to not test the waters and push for what I need off the ODB2 port. Silly I know but now I'm considering a Motec setup as they are the only one to have a GT4 map vis a via the clubsport car.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:23 AM
katmeho
Pro

Originally Posted by MSWNCity
Katmeho,

Does Porsche consider the clip on CAN readers a violation of the wiring harness? VBox video loggers show this as an accessory and I was considering it as an option to strip and solder.

http://www.racelogic.co.uk/usastore/...Video-VBOX-Pro

Thanks

Mark W.
Can't comment. Currently freaked out by the feedback that I have gotten that's says PMNA is telling everyone not to touch the wiring for fear of fault and are pointing to the AC in the clubsport "we didn't take it out because the car would freak out and not run". Take it for what it's worth to you but it's giving me pause.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:14 PM
katmeho
Pro

Default Dec 4 - Laguna Seca

Got a day in at Laguna yesterday. Just got the car back from BR Racing, Rico managed to get -2.5 front and -2.0 rear with the new rear toe links. New solid front arm bushings were put in too. The car felt really good going down to Laguna and I was ready to see what we could do with it. Track was wet on the first two sessions...well not wet, but damp and I took it easy. Initially the car felt like there was too much play in the steering and would not hook up. I felt like there was no bite, then it bam, it hit. I didnt like this. I thought there was a problem. I actually almost spun twice at the apex of 6 after a huge push off the paint and the car just totally freaking out and wanting to loose itself. Back in the pits I became worried. So I started taking it apart mentally...what was going on? Gradually through the day I put more and more together and the day warmed up. The car began to hook up and things became more special. At the end of the day I had the car moving well, it was hooked up and I had a tremendous amount of control. What was it earlier? Cold tires, wet curbing paint. I dont have a lot of experience with the PSC2's and I think I learned first hand that they dont like being cold. Ive heard from all of you that they dont like being wet. So my issues in 6 was too much cold wet paint at apex, car pushes like mad but as soon as the suspension compressed and the car linked up, front grips and rear wanted to loop around. Wet goes away and tires get hot and its all good. Lesson learned.

Got a meatball. Blew a 96.4db when I just simply forgot about the sound booth. It was a 90db day. Had to sit the rest of the session. Theres no way to beat the sounds marshall without lifting up the hill post T5 at Laguna. There was a nice Cayman R that had J pipes on the exhaust which got me thinking that maybe that is the way to go, but I think even then, we might have problems. We will need more GT4's to test the sound situation and determine a fix. I will say that I've never been annoyed with the sound limits at Laguna because I mostly was in cars that would not have an issue there, but I was really annoyed in my last session when I felt that I had some pace going. We need a fix. Not sure what it is.

Endless brake fluid flush was completed before the event and the brakes were solid, solid, solid. These brakes are fantastic. Needed some extra paddock laps to cool things down after sessions but never once did I even think about the brakes during the days driving.

Love the new alignment setup. More serious drivers would be able to explain what they feel, but to me the car is just balanced. It does what you want it to do, its progressive and responds perfectly. Turn in is sharp and confident. Before, it was a little nervous. Different track, different day though. Im happy with this setup for now. I may go a little more aggressive but not much more I think.

Met two people that have GT4's on order. Forgot your names already, but nice to meet you if you see this. Hope to see you at the track. One more GT4 in red with LWBs was in attendance, but I didnt actually see it run at all. Maybe just visiting.

Best lap
1:47:70
w/ passenger, end of the day, 45% fuel level

Session data
https://www.race-capture.com/events/...m-kehoe-gt4-16

Data from the day
Date: Dec 4, 2015
Track: Laguna Seca
Weather: low 60's, wet in the morning, warming in the afternoon
Event Host: Hooked On Driving

Setup:
Full aero
Alignment: -2.5 front, -2.0 rear
Sway bars: stock
Tires: Pilot Sport Cup 2s w/ 2 heat cycles
Data logging: Yes
Comments / Notes: Coaching day, feel out the new alignment. Tire pressure alerts are still lame.

End of day tire wear notes: halfway done with this set I think
End of day total lap count: 24

No tire data today. Ran 28's all the way around and they were measuring out at 34 hot. I am not sure that I really did any justice to the tires with the pressures today but I was more worried about learning this new alignment so I kept things consistent throughout the day. One less variable to consider.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:29 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

You'll need to put together the Mech33 GPS exhaust switch to pass sound at Laguna. doborder has the setup on his caymanGTS and it works as well.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...nd-checks.html
Old 12-05-2015, 01:59 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by katmeho
Got a day in at Laguna yesterday. Just got the car back from BR Racing, Rico managed to get -2.5 front and -2.0 rear with the new rear toe links. New solid front arm bushings were put in too. The car felt really good going down to Laguna and I was ready to see what we could do with it. Track was wet on the first two sessions...well not wet, but damp and I took it easy. Initially the car felt like there was too much play in the steering and would not hook up. I felt like there was no bite, then it bam, it hit. I didnt like this. I thought there was a problem. I actually almost spun twice at the apex of 6 after a huge push off the paint and the car just totally freaking out and wanting to loose itself. Back in the pits I became worried. So I started taking it apart mentally...what was going on? Gradually through the day I put more and more together and the day warmed up. The car began to hook up and things became more special. At the end of the day I had the car moving well, it was hooked up and I had a tremendous amount of control. What was it earlier? Cold tires, wet curbing paint. I dont have a lot of experience with the PSC2's and I think I learned first hand that they dont like being cold. Ive heard from all of you that they dont like being wet. So my issues in 6 was too much cold wet paint at apex, car pushes like mad but as soon as the suspension compressed and the car linked up, front grips and rear wanted to loop around. Wet goes away and tires get hot and its all good. Lesson learned.

Got a meatball. Blew a 96.4db when I just simply forgot about the sound booth. It was a 90db day. Had to sit the rest of the session. Theres no way to beat the sounds marshall without lifting up the hill post T5 at Laguna. There was a nice Cayman R that had J pipes on the exhaust which got me thinking that maybe that is the way to go, but I think even then, we might have problems. We will need more GT4's to test the sound situation and determine a fix. I will say that I've never been annoyed with the sound limits at Laguna because I mostly was in cars that would not have an issue there, but I was really annoyed in my last session when I felt that I had some pace going. We need a fix. Not sure what it is.

Endless brake fluid flush was completed before the event and the brakes were solid, solid, solid. These brakes are fantastic. Needed some extra paddock laps to cool things down after sessions but never once did I even think about the brakes during the days driving.

Love the new alignment setup. More serious drivers would be able to explain what they feel, but to me the car is just balanced. It does what you want it to do, its progressive and responds perfectly. Turn in is sharp and confident. Before, it was a little nervous. Different track, different day though. Im happy with this setup for now. I may go a little more aggressive but not much more I think.

Met two people that have GT4's on order. Forgot your names already, but nice to meet you if you see this. Hope to see you at the track. One more GT4 in red with LWBs was in attendance, but I didnt actually see it run at all. Maybe just visiting.

Best lap
1:47:70
w/ passenger, end of the day, 45% fuel level

Session data
https://www.race-capture.com/events/...m-kehoe-gt4-16

Data from the day
Date: Dec 4, 2015
Track: Laguna Seca
Weather: low 60's, wet in the morning, warming in the afternoon
Event Host: Hooked On Driving

Setup:
Full aero
Alignment: -2.5 front, -2.0 rear
Sway bars: stock
Tires: Pilot Sport Cup 2s w/ 2 heat cycles
Data logging: Yes
Comments / Notes: Coaching day, feel out the new alignment. Tire pressure alerts are still lame.

End of day tire wear notes: halfway done with this set I think
End of day total lap count: 24

No tire data today. Ran 28's all the way around and they were measuring out at 34 hot. I am not sure that I really did any justice to the tires with the pressures today but I was more worried about learning this new alignment so I kept things consistent throughout the day. One less variable to consider.
How many total track days on the tires so far?
Old 12-05-2015, 02:03 PM
2fnquik
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for this valuable report and these data!

Quick Reply: Katmeho's GT4 Track Day Oriented Journal