Sponsored by: APR

Australian GT4s

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 10:35 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Charliekay
Sizes are difficult. The tyre size remains the same but you lose the diameter in rim size. Go from a 295/30/20 to 295/30/19, same amount of rubber but less rim. So lose 12.5mm in road clearance.

Front goes from 245/35/20 to 235/35/19. Ideally I would have gone 245/35/19 up front but wasn't sure if they would fit with the new rims and they didn't have stock. So the front you almost have the same amount of rubber but less rim, so lose just about 15-16mm of road clearance up front.

In saying that all tyres vary in size. I just put new rubber on the front of my OEM 20s so will measure the true diameter of both OEM front and rears and Trofeo R in 19s.
Indeed. I'd assumed that you'd go from 235/35/20 to 235/40/19 to retain diameter, but just looked into options and seems they're limited.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:37 PM
Charliekay
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Looks great Charlie! You can definitely see the increase in front offset...
Thanks mate. Fronts are perfect. Hopefully pushing the front track a bit will improve the handling.

Originally Posted by mungee
Yes I have the same wheels, sizes and offsets but mine are black..

Booked in for the 24th, keen to see how these wheels and tyres go, we will be in the same group...be gentle on me please.

I think I stole last 245 in the country...sorry.
Don't be sorry, shouldn't make that much of a big difference plus I am no pro so I was never going to break any records or win anything anyways. I haven't booked the 24th but I might if there is a few of you.

Originally Posted by O5C4R
hi Mungee, just a track day no one has numbers on(except for the C63 driver lol), basically the best time for testing, wouldn't mind seeing your set up as the 19" toyo R888R tyre is looking pretty good. Actually a friend of mine might be bringing a 997 GT2 RS which will be awesome

wow charlie nice garage looks like an art gallery, polished floor is immaculate
Thanks mate. Being a car guy the garage had to be perfect. I fits 7 cars. Best part of the house.

Originally Posted by nzskater
Indeed. I'd assumed that you'd go from 235/35/20 to 235/40/19 to retain diameter, but just looked into options and seems they're limited.
Yep. They are only for the track so not overly concerned, and people have run them without issues.

Last edited by Charliekay; 08-06-2017 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:19 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

Hi Guys. I got my car back this morning with its new gearbox. All good but seems a little stiffer on the shift than before which is probably a function of it being new. The service guy a PCW said they'd have had a 'box earlier but Porsche had put an international block on all shipments; so only in country stock available and Australia out of stock (that would be be you 05C4R). My guess is they have made sure Getrag have sorted it and were not shipping until that happened, after some people in the US had two boxes fail. Anyway, he also told me Porsche have a simple back to back warranty with the supplier and all this gets billed straight to Getrag or whoever. I think if it were a Porsche made engine they would have a different attitude as it becomes their own cost. So for all you out their who have not yet had failures, the news is good that you'll not have any warranty arguments for at least the box.

Car all good now for next week's PCNSW's Wakefield Supersprint. I am aiming for low 1:05's; here's hoping.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:48 AM
mungee
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my concern - every time I make a gear-change on the track or road into 3rd I am waiting....

Its not a good way to be, but glad they will honour it without any issues, did you say Willoughby is where you had the fix performed?

Did you remove any mods?

Low 5's...Love it...Lets get together soon for a drive or a track day...I am hoping for Low '43's at SMP in 2 weeks...We can always hope.

Originally Posted by Warwick Morris
Hi Guys. I got my car back this morning with its new gearbox. All good but seems a little stiffer on the shift than before which is probably a function of it being new. The service guy a PCW said they'd have had a 'box earlier but Porsche had put an international block on all shipments; so only in country stock available and Australia out of stock (that would be be you 05C4R). My guess is they have made sure Getrag have sorted it and were not shipping until that happened, after some people in the US had two boxes fail. Anyway, he also told me Porsche have a simple back to back warranty with the supplier and all this gets billed straight to Getrag or whoever. I think if it were a Porsche made engine they would have a different attitude as it becomes their own cost. So for all you out their who have not yet had failures, the news is good that you'll not have any warranty arguments for at least the box.

Car all good now for next week's PCNSW's Wakefield Supersprint. I am aiming for low 1:05's; here's hoping.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:29 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

This is my concern - every time I make a gear-change on the track or road into 3rd I am waiting....

Its not a good way to be, but glad they will honour it without any issues, did you say Willoughby is where you had the fix performed?
Given the way Porsche are dealing with the finger follower issue on the GT3 (see here https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...ouncement.html), I think the best thing you can do is drive it like the 3rd gear issue doesnt exist. Based on that response, it seems to me that Porsche will back their product. Many stories in that thread of people not wanting to drive their cars for fear of the issue - but Porsche have come through.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:28 AM
O5C4R
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

i may of got the only box in oz but sounds like its not of the new design so could go again

low 1.43's will leave me in the dust, i wanna follow and see if i can keep in touch hopefully its a dry day seems every time i do a track day the drought breaks
Old 08-08-2017, 09:34 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Did you remove any mods?

Low 5's...Love it...Lets get together soon for a drive or a track day...I am hoping for Low '43's at SMP in 2 weeks...We can always hope.
Mungee, yes Willoughby. They were very decent and gave me a loaner for 2 weeks. i have an IPD and TB but to be frank they do zip (same main straight speed at SMP). I had the first annual service done ($650 for an oil change) while the car was in their workshop. When I drove it out of the dealer the engine warning light came on and I took it straight to Autohaus ( 2kms away) who reset the TB operating range in a few minute straight away. No probs now. Obviously PCW put it on their computer an d reset everything to factory but no issues from them.

Good luck with the low 1:43's at SMP. You should join the Porsche Club and participate in the sprints. It's not at all competitive......
Old 08-08-2017, 06:11 PM
Charliekay
Racer

Mungee, yes Willoughby. They were very decent and gave me a loaner for 2 weeks. i have an IPD and TB but to be frank they do zip (same main straight speed at SMP). I had the first annual service done ($650 for an oil change) while the car was in their workshop. When I drove it out of the dealer the engine warning light came on and I took it straight to Autohaus ( 2kms away) who reset the TB operating range in a few minute straight away. No probs now. Obviously PCW put it on their computer an d reset everything to factory but no issues from them.

Good luck with the low 1:43's at SMP. You should join the Porsche Club and participate in the sprints. It's not at all competitive......
Great to hear your car is back on the road and all sorted. I will be down at Wakefield next Saturday for my first PCNSW Sprint so should be fun. Haven't done Wakefield in 5 or 6 years so going to be a bit rusty.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:12 PM
Charliekay
Racer

Originally Posted by O5C4R
i may of got the only box in oz but sounds like its not of the new design so could go again

low 1.43's will leave me in the dust, i wanna follow and see if i can keep in touch hopefully its a dry day seems every time i do a track day the drought breaks
I am happy to do a group day. I tried to register to August 24th but the session seems fully booked.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:54 AM
mungee
Racer

Thanks Warwick. Been a club member for many years and been in many of the club super super-sprints over the last few years, BMW/Porsche challenge & both Rennsport events.

Glad to hear Willoughby looked after you that way, I bought mine form there also. I am just waiting to see if the box will hold up.

Grant did my wheel alignment and has fitted some parts and will be fitting some more shortly. He also helped me on my old Cayman R also.

I'm ambitious for the low 43 I know, but I did a 45.6 on Cup 2's, throwing more parts at it hopefully before the next event and with Trofeos and some sticky brake pads we will try.

The Driver will be the limiting factor but in the 45.6 I left an easy 2-3 tenths on track so should get close if I can maximise and the conditions allow.

here is my 45.6 on Cup 2's and a wheel alignment..needs lots more camber also for the Trofeo's

Last edited by mungee; 08-09-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:55 AM
mungee
Racer

Sure I'm in - Like most will need some notice..

I am happy to do a group day. I tried to register to August 24th but the session seems fully booked.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:06 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Thanks Warwick. Been a club member for many years and been in many of the club super super-sprints over the last few years, BMW/Porsche challenge & both Rennsport events.

Glad to hear Willoughby looked after you that way, I bought mine form there also. I am just waiting to see if the box will hold up.

Grant did my wheel alignment and has fitted some parts and will be fitting some more shortly. He also helped me on my old Cayman R also.

I'm ambitious for the low 43 I know, but I did a 45.6 on Cup 2's, throwing more parts at it hopefully before the next event and with Trofeos and some sticky brake pads we will try.

The Driver will be the limiting factor but in the 45.6 I left an easy 2-3 tenths on track so should get close if I can maximise and the conditions allow.

here is my 44.6 on Cup 2's and a wheel alignment..needs lots more camber also for the Trofeo's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6o-yOhX8UA
That was a seriously sweet lap; so well driven. 229kph top speed is amazing. I don't seem to be able to get past 223. I guess I know you from events but hard to tell with nick names on RL.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:06 AM
mungee
Racer

Thanks very much - did a few 45.7,8 & 9's that day. Was my first track day in the car also, but I have cut about 3000 laps there over the years in my last few Porsches.

Interesting fact is mid corner speed my Cayman R was as fast, but that was on Trofeos...

229 surprised me also, I use 3rd coming out of last turn to your 2nd..unsure if that makes a difference. Am getting to plenum /TB, headers and tune so hopefully some more power can help there also..

Look forward to meeting all of you guys soon.

That was a seriously sweet lap; so well driven. 229kph top speed is amazing. I don't seem to be able to get past 223. I guess I know you from events but hard to tell with nick names on RL.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:58 PM
Charliekay
Racer

Sure I'm in - Like most will need some notice..
We all need a little notice.

There is a track day on October 11 which might suit everyone. I am already doing the September 20th and August 24th is booked out.

https://www.drivingsolutions.com.au/...experienced-3/

Thoughts? Who can make it?
Old 08-09-2017, 10:40 PM
mungee
Racer

Good for me...Also we should all move our cars into your garage for a group photo!!!

Challenge is how many GT4's can we fit into that lovely garage at once..

We all need a little notice.

There is a track day on October 11 which might suit everyone. I am already doing the September 20th and August 24th is booked out.

https://www.drivingsolutions.com.au/...experienced-3/

Thoughts? Who can make it?

Quick Reply: Australian GT4s