GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Australian GT4s

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2016 | 05:03 AM
NBTBRV8
Racer

I got my car back from its PP wrap today, plus I also put ClearPlex on my windscreen again for full protection. Very happy with the results.
Old 07-01-2016 | 05:36 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DR1VEN
something like 53 track ready GT4s delivered or en route to Melbourne, that should make it easy enough to rally a small group of 8-10 like James88 suggested for a morning drive.
Early morning drive sounds good, I really enjoy driving through the really tight twisty bits.

As a matter of fact I'm getting together for a drive and breaky with some friends this Sunday, we currently have my GT4, Cayman GTS, Audi R8, 3LCarrera, Suby WRX, a couple more might turn up as well.

2 or 3 more cars would be welcome if anyone is interested. Let me know if anyone would like to join in.

Meet at 8am in Mt Martha, I'll pm address on request.
Old 07-01-2016 | 06:03 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by James88
Early morning drive sounds good, I really enjoy driving through the really tight twisty bits.

As a matter of fact I'm getting together for a drive and breaky with some friends this Sunday, we currently have my GT4, Cayman GTS, Audi R8, 3LCarrera, Suby WRX, a couple more might turn up as well.

2 or 3 more cars would be welcome if anyone is interested. Let me know if anyone would like to join in.

Meet at 8am in Mt Martha, I'll pm address on request.
Dammit, I'm on the boat now, about to head back to Tassie. Would be good to do more of these drives, its difficult to drum up enthusiasm in Hobart, but we do get the occasional drive day in.

Enjoy the drive in your new car.

I'll write another post on the headers and tune.
Old 07-01-2016 | 06:09 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Brad
That's very impressive power increase figures from a naturally aspirated engine. I bet its taken the sound and feel to another level as well.
I was pretty blown away to be honest. I was not really expecting any peak gains (or only minimal) - was really looking to flatten out the dip and hopefully add some more sound, but it totally exceeded my expectations.

Originally Posted by Snowman.
Well that answers that. Time to search the back of the couch for the required $$$
Yes it is.

Originally Posted by Charliekay
That's a nice gain, especially in the mid range. What are your thoughts on the sound?

Would love to hear more of your thoughts.
Sound is awesome. Really puts out a lot of sound when you are getting into it, but is still very comfortable when just cruising around.

Originally Posted by NBTBRV8
Was that with a remap Brad, or still standard?
Thats with the tune as well as headers.

In the next post I'll write a more detailed summary of my thoughts.
Old 07-01-2016 | 06:14 AM
NBTBRV8
Racer

Originally Posted by Bardman
Would be good to do more of these drives, its difficult to drum up enthusiasm in Hobart, but we do get the occasional drive day in.
I may have a bi-annual lap you can join in if you are an "enthusiastic" driver.
Old 07-01-2016 | 06:38 AM
Snowman.
Instructor

Originally Posted by DR1VEN
Would Melb folks here be interested in that? Porsche GT cars are made for the track!
I'm always up for it.
Old 07-01-2016 | 06:41 AM
Snowman.
Instructor

FWIW - I know of a bunch of GT4 guys who have entered the Bathurst Sprint in Novemeber (including me). I'm also 95% in for Targa High Country (either just the tour or maybe GT Sports) as well.
Old 07-01-2016 | 06:49 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Ok, so my thoughts on the Cargraphics headers and tune from Fitzgerald Racing (Evolve sister company).

To put it very briefly, almost perfect. I'll get to the almost part, but this is a fantastic mod for the GT4.

I still don't have the electronic dyno pic, so I just took a photo of the paper one so people can get a clearer picture of what these changes have done (apologies for potato quality).

Name:  JaFhXvl.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  547.1 KB

So, bottom line is stock power curve, next one up is headers only, and next one up is headers and tune.

Whilst the headers alone did flatten out the curve somewhat, the headers and tune has completely eliminated that mid range dip. You'll also notice that there is quite a lot of white space between H+T vs stock. You immediately feel this on the road.

Whereas the stock car feels like its strangled down low, the car now just pulls and pulls all the way through the rev range. You might think that a mod like this would make a car less civilised and harder to live with day to day - the complete opposite is the truth. Because you are not navigating up and down the mid torque dip (which you do constantly in street driving) the car is extremely easy and comfortable to idle along slowly. I even find myself running in a higher gear than previously when driving slowly as I dont have to keep the revs super high to avoid this "chokey" range.

So, some might be concerned that its all too tame. No fear of that. Plant the foot and it absolutely screams towards redline. It actually reminds me a little of the pull of my old C63. Of course it doesn't have anywhere near that amount of torque, but because you don't have the traction issues of the C63, it actually feels like you are applying similar levels of torque to the road. I'm probably overstating it there as I'm sure if you drove them back to back it wouldn't be as impressive, but it is an amazing feeling nonetheless.

What about the sound? Its really hard to estimate how much louder the car is now at full noise. My best guess is somewhere between 25 and 50%, but that is purely a guess. The good news again is that you have choices. With the sports exhaust button off, you can rev through the range and it doesn't sound significantly different to stock. Reasonably civilised, but still a bit noisy if you have the right foot into the carpet. Sports exhaust button on, and just taking it easy and again, the car is a bit noisy but not over the top. WOT in the high rev ranges, however, and it sounds like a motorsports car. It has a really rich sound (not at all spoilt compared to the stock sound), which really resonates under overpasses and bridges. You'll like it.

One thing that I didn't really understand before this mod was the claims by some tuning houses about the gains to be had by replacing the stock exhaust/mufflers with their own. If you have sports or race headers I totally get it now, and here we get to the 'almost' part of 'almost perfect' that I mentioned at the beginning. The stock exhaust, even with the sports exhaust button activated, does not actually keep the valve open all the time. It opens it according to the current rpms and throttle position (and maybe other factors?). So whats the problem then? Well because you have so much more exhaust flow due to the headers and tune, when the exhaust valve opens it feels a little like popping a cork. At around 4k rpms with only moderate throttle the exhaust valve opens and you get a blurt from the exhaust and the car literally takes off, there is so much latent power being restricted by the valve. You dont get this at WOT as the valve opens earlier, but at part throttle you get it, which is a little bit of a niggle for me, as at part throttle you want things to be smooth, not 'twitchy' as you navigate forwards and backwards over the 4k rpm range.

I have discussed this with the tuner, and they are going to look into a change that just keeps the valves open all the time with the sports exhaust button on. I think this will be the perfect solution, as you can still have the car tame if you want by switching the button off.

In any case, I'm confident they will sort this out. For some it may not be a problem, but for me this car is so close to perfect that it would be a shame not to address this little niggle.

In short a magnificent addition to an already amazing car.

Happy to try and answer any questions people might have.
Old 07-01-2016 | 06:56 AM
NBTBRV8
Racer

So the obvious question is, what is the ball cost for what you've done?

Also can you reflash it yourself if the dealer wipes it with a software update, or do you have to take the car back?
Old 07-01-2016 | 07:03 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

BTW - applied some decals I bought online (Porsche on the wing as well).

Name:  fDEH3cJ.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  866.2 KB

I think the design is right, but a light grey or maybe a silver will look better. I kind of knew once they arrived that they would be too white, but decided to try them anyway.
Old 07-01-2016 | 07:07 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NBTBRV8
So the obvious question is, what is the ball cost for what you've done?

Also can you reflash it yourself if the dealer wipes it with a software update, or do you have to take the car back?
Roughly 8.5k all in (headers, ceramic coating, tune, fitment and dyno work). It took them some extra time as this was the first one they have done, but they wrote off quite a bit of their time against R+D also.
Old 07-01-2016 | 07:15 AM
cp993
Advanced

Thanks for the write up on the mods Brad. Seems like a really impressive change to make.
Pity we couldn't catch up. Next time you are in Melbourne yell out.

Cheers
Chris
Old 07-01-2016 | 08:21 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Brad
Great write up, I can really sense your excitement and how satisfied you are, well done. As Chris said we'll have to catch up next time.
I'm really surprised at the low stock power at wheels, I always thought you loose around 20% from crank to wheels but this equates to a larger difference, do you happen to have the torque figures, before and after?
Old 07-01-2016 | 05:33 PM
Charliekay
Racer

Great writeup mate, the headers and tune looks like it is definitely on the cards.

Any drone coming from the new headers at any speed/cruising?
Old 07-02-2016 | 01:32 AM
IMOA
Instructor

Brad
Great write up, I can really sense your excitement and how satisfied you are, well done. As Chris said we'll have to catch up next time.
I'm really surprised at the low stock power at wheels, I always thought you loose around 20% from crank to wheels but this equates to a larger difference, do you happen to have the torque figures, before and after?
On a dyno dynamics that's about what I'd expect, 20% would be more dyno jet or getting into hub dyno territory.

Quick Reply: Australian GT4s