Thx - Still under the influence of my 987 Boxster
Old 09-02-2015, 06:11 PM
TurboDogue
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thank you!

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
turboDog,

Yes, he did ask me to not mention anything about the special project they have been working on, and that an official announcement was coming soon. So I will not say anything about that, although many in the Motorsport world do already know more info than I have.

And, yes, everyone who enters Weissach from the janitor, to the suppliers, to visiting dignitaries all sign a non disclosure document.

It was really cool meeting him and if he says to me don't say anything about x, I will not.

Thank you for both 1) not assuming i was being critical and just wanted more info and 2) for the clarification.

Much appreciated!!
Old 09-02-2015, 06:49 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you guys imagine just how quick a GT4 would be if it had the 991GT3 engine and PDK+S.
Would probably outperform a 991GT3, with it's better balance, and being lighter and more nimble.
Not that I'd be interested, I'm a manual guy all the way, but I would like that engine for sure.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:55 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 364 Posts

It's what I've been dreaming of since 2005.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:11 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
It's what I've been dreaming of since 2005.
That's what I thought before I got my 6gt3 couple of years ago. Mid-engine has its advantages but now I'm not so sure that it's superior in all instances and situations especially in terms of balance while braking into turns and early throttle application out of them. A well set up and well driven 911 is still a force to be reckoned with.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:40 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
That's what I thought before I got my 6gt3 couple of years ago. Mid-engine has its advantages but now I'm not so sure that it's superior in all instances and situations especially in terms of balance while braking into turns and early throttle application out of them. A well set up and well driven 911 is still a force to be reckoned with.
I don't think anyone is disputing that a 911 isn't an extremely capable car. After all, it's a product of decades of lavish development. However, if you're designing a clean-sheet sports car or dedicated track car, you start with either a MR or FR layout because, you know, physics. The 911 is a great sports/track car despite the rear engine, not because of it. Yes, it has two aces up its sleeve with respect to braking and putting the power down efficiently, but the weight distribution is a liability in all transient maneuvers.

Imagine how great Porsche's MR platform would be if they had sidelined the 911 in the late '60s and all those development dollars went into the 914 instead.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:24 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick1
Can you guys imagine just how quick a GT4 would be if it had the 991GT3 engine and PDK+S.
Would probably outperform a 991GT3, with it's better balance, and being lighter and more nimble.
Not that I'd be interested, I'm a manual guy all the way, but I would like that engine for sure.
the only weak point of the Cayman in relation to the 991 is the rear suspension... everything else is excelent.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:25 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
I don't think anyone is disputing that a 911 isn't an extremely capable car. After all, it's a product of decades of lavish development. However, if you're designing a clean-sheet sports car or dedicated track car, you start with either a MR or FR layout because, you know, physics. The 911 is a great sports/track car despite the rear engine, not because of it. Yes, it has two aces up its sleeve with respect to braking and putting the power down efficiently, but the weight distribution is a liability in all transient maneuvers.

Imagine how great Porsche's MR platform would be if they had sidelined the 911 in the late '60s and all those development dollars went into the 914 instead.
I understand, but when all is said and done, a Cayman of equal weight, engine, gearing, suspension, and tires as a 911 will not be a hands down winner on every track -- far from it. Turns are much more prevalent than quick transition segments on tracks, plus the 911's advantages into (out-braking) and out of turns (exit speed) is very helpful for passes when racing (instead of comparing clean lap-times). I don't think it's only marketing and pure nostalgia that's maintained the 911 as the dominant Porsche GT racing platform all these years.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:28 PM
asamhall
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Met with Andreas Prueninger in Weissach

So I assume the best bet is rennsport for the announcement.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:29 PM
2slow2speed
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

Something else to keep in mind is that the rear strut suspension on the 98X generation vehicles is compromised compared to the multilink suspension on the 99X generation vehicles. So the transients that you allude to can also be a liability on the 98X platform cars as well.

As long as Porsche decides to stay with the Boxer engine configuration I can't see how they will be able to put a double wishbone or multi-link rear suspension configuration on their MR cars.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:30 PM
2slow2speed
Pro

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
the only weak point of the Cayman in relation to the 991 is the rear suspension... everything else is excelent.
OOps ninja'd
Old 09-02-2015, 09:32 PM
2slow2speed
Pro

Originally Posted by hf1
I understand, but when all is said and done, a Cayman of equal weight, engine, gearing, suspension, and tires as a 911 will not be a hands down winner on every track -- far from it. Turns are much more prevalent than quick transition segments on tracks, plus the 911's advantages into (out-braking) and out of turns (exit speed) is very helpful for passes when racing (instead of comparing clean lap-times). I don't think it's only marketing and pure nostalgia that's maintained the 911 as the dominant Porsche GT racing platform all these years.
+1
Old 09-02-2015, 11:40 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Or the 944 Turbo S ... 968's were very capable cars
Stock to stock 944TS vs a 911 Turbo ... I hunted them down back in the day ( that was before the Turbo mods etc that are avail now for the 951's ...
That 951 was treated like an orphan child ! Given no respect etc...
Originally Posted by asamhall
So I assume the best bet is rennsport for the announcement.
Speaking of Rennsport is anyone going on here ?
Old 09-03-2015, 12:29 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

A 911 makes no sense on paper, but if you own one long enough to know it intimately (driven at limit extensively), it reveals itself to have subjective charms that are hard to describe or justify objectively.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:35 AM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 185 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by 2slow2speed
As long as Porsche decides to stay with the Boxer engine configuration I can't see how they will be able to put a double wishbone or multi-link rear suspension configuration on their MR cars.
Seems to be more about trunk space and cost, no? Upper links would be to the rear and above the engine.

Quick Reply: Met with Andreas Prueninger in Weissach