Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Met with Andreas Prueninger in Weissach

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 12:53 AM
drwuss
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the big news that the GT4 will become the first GT model to be produced very year, not just for two like all prior models (fingers crossed).
Lower price point, simpler engine, target market non porsche owners.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:03 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,045 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
That's what I thought before I got my 6gt3 couple of years ago. Mid-engine has its advantages but now I'm not so sure that it's superior in all instances and situations especially in terms of balance while braking into turns and early throttle application out of them. A well set up and well driven 911 is still a force to be reckoned with.
Don't get me wrong. I LOVE the 911 platform and in particular the 997.2 GT3. Absolute favorite car I've ever owned but I also fell in love with the Cayman first time I saw one on a dealership floor. I wanted to love it but after driving it, felt underwhelmed in terms of power relative to chassis stability. The GT4 is a big step towards developing that so I am in with both feet.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:59 AM
2slow2speed
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage
Seems to be more about trunk space and cost, no? Upper links would be to the rear and above the engine.
Routing the exhaust from the F6 makes it a pain, since the exhaust gases would need to be collected from opposite ends of the engine block and then routed parallel to the differential housing in order to have sufficient clearance for the lower wishbone. In order to do so the exhaust would need several 90 degree bends which are not good for performance.

The current method of routing the exhaust above the LCA on the MacPherson setup might not work. It might end up having interference issues with the exhaust either on the front end of the lower wishbone or the back end of the lower wishbone since it would be much wider than the LCA setup.
Attached Images    
Old 09-03-2015, 05:01 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyim
Are we there yet? September now.

Agree with above.

Probably GT4 cup with PDK-S?

If the GT4 is meant to be used in the GT4 racing series, then the regulations (see below) clearly state that the number of gear ratios are limited to 6. The PDK box is 7, so I think it rules out the PDK for a GT4 Cup car.

ARTICLE 9 : TRANSMISSION
9.1 Transmission system
The gearbox must comprise a maximum of 6 ratios and a reverse gear. The interior of the gearbox is free. The number of teeth and ratios homologated in the Technical Form must be retained. The joints of the gearbox are free. The gear selection grid pattern homologated on the series model must be retained.
Sequential gearboxes are forbidden in GT4, unless by a waiver of the SRO GT4 Bureau.
For cars fitted with a semi-automatic or automatic gearbox and with 6 ratios or more, and/or a power-driven clutch with electronic or pneumatic control, a waiver of the SRO GT4 Bureau can eventually be granted.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:59 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Don't get me wrong. I LOVE the 911 platform and in particular the 997.2 GT3. Absolute favorite car I've ever owned but I also fell in love with the Cayman first time I saw one on a dealership floor. I wanted to love it but after driving it, felt underwhelmed in terms of power relative to chassis stability. The GT4 is a big step towards developing that so I am in with both feet.
I LOVED my 987.1 Boxster S too, both on and off the track. It took me from Green to Black (one below Instructors) run group, completely stock (except tires and pads). I love the 6gt3 more though, especially on the track, and not only because of the extra 100hp. The GT4 was the only new Porsche that tempted me to give up my 6gt3 (no space for two non-racing fun cars and they'd be too similar to make sense keeping together, unless I turn myself into a "collector" ). I decided to keep the 6gt3 but wil have to try the GT4 at some point -- it's a fabulous car and am very happy that Porsche makes it.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:30 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 89 Posts

It's been way past 3 days. Give up the secret.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:38 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by konaforever
It's been way past 3 days. Give up the secret.
Imagine if AP were following this thread smirking at how he'd just punked the RL community through the OP.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:47 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,129 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
Imagine if AP were following this thread smirking at how he'd just punked the RL community through the OP.
Yep, I have the idea that this is all a consequence of having their dealers leak secret information about the Cayman GTS and Boxster GTS (as well as other future models with exact spec and pricing) a year or two ago.

Porsche was very embarrassed and angry about it. Since they cannot easily control the leaking of real info, I now think that they intentionally leak a bunch of false (sometimes conflicting) info as a way to make analysis of future products very difficult.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:50 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,378 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
I think AP is smart and realized the question from the git-go as coming from a ..... (your thoughts here, facebook, etc) ..... and playing along, allowing someone to feel important in their world, online and/or otherwise.

Lets face it, AP would not be in the position he is in without having brains and seeing through these obvious attempts.

PS
Not only RL but another forum that already has been quoted online by a newsletter leaked to online publication.

Originally Posted by GrantG
Yep, I have the idea that this is all a consequence of having their dealers leak secret information about the Cayman GTS and Boxster GTS (as well as other future models with exact spec and pricing) a year or two ago.

Porsche was very embarrassed and angry about it. Since they cannot easily control the leaking of real info, I now think that they intentionally leak a bunch of false (sometimes conflicting) info as a way to make analysis of future products very difficult.
PAG has always been good at the misinformation game - especially when its this easy for them.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:09 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 240 Posts

Hey guys - sorry about getting the time frame wrong on the release of info. I can not say any more without violating my promise to keep it confidential until they officially announce.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:11 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,129 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Hey guys - sorry about getting the time frame wrong on the release of info. I can not say any more without violating my promise to keep it confidential until they officially announce.
Don't worry about it. Continue having fun on that amazing trip!
Old 09-03-2015, 08:22 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Don't worry about it. Continue having fun on that amazing trip!
Exactly!! and of course posting more pictures
Old 09-03-2015, 09:02 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Do you have any idea when that "official announcement" is coming?
Old 09-03-2015, 09:09 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
Do you have any idea when that "official announcement" is coming?
It has to be Rennsport Reunion.... i cant see any better way
Old 09-03-2015, 09:16 PM
otisdog
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
It has to be Rennsport Reunion.... i cant see any better way
Wouldn't that be 30 days?
Just missing a digit...

Quick Reply: Met with Andreas Prueninger in Weissach