Sponsored by: APR

Met with Andreas Prueninger in Weissach

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 10:13 AM
TurboDogue
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
A Better question would be what reason you have to doubt it and what logic leads you to believe that a GT4RS is pending, when a clear message was relayed?
-This is all literally from the horses mouth.. and I don't question the meeting, considering the signage (which is so f*kn incredible/unbelievable..)
Frist, I never said it was pending, I suggested in Gen 2 form for the 981 it would be possible, as Porsche has a history of going into the parts bin...

Second, not questioning Matt here in any way. In fact beyond envious...Just curious as to the circumstances under which the info was shared??? NDA, etc. That would lead to more credibility.

And the reason why I am doubting AP's sincerity (not Matt's) was that he originally also said when the GT4 came out, that a RS was possible, "the beginning of an era" I believe he said. So publicly he has issued conflicting statements. Maybe its the next, next Gen that he considers it...

So, was simply asking Matt what AP asked of him regarding confidence when this info was shared. Not doubting anyone's integrity, looking for more clarity. AP hasn't shared with PCNA or any dealers yet his intent, so why share something so secret with single customer? Perhaps Matt is long time Porsche buyer, a CGT buyer, a 918 buyer, etc.

Guess we will see tomorrow, since it said three days.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:48 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboDogue
Frist, I never said it was pending, I suggested in Gen 2 form for the 981 it would be possible, as Porsche has a history of going into the parts bin...

Second, not questioning Matt here in any way. In fact beyond envious...Just curious as to the circumstances under which the info was shared??? NDA, etc. That would lead to more credibility.

And the reason why I am doubting AP's sincerity (not Matt's) was that he originally also said when the GT4 came out, that a RS was possible, "the beginning of an era" I believe he said. So publicly he has issued conflicting statements. Maybe its the next, next Gen that he considers it...

So, was simply asking Matt what AP asked of him regarding confidence when this info was shared. Not doubting anyone's integrity, looking for more clarity. AP hasn't shared with PCNA or any dealers yet his intent, so why share something so secret with single customer? Perhaps Matt is long time Porsche buyer, a CGT buyer, a 918 buyer, etc.

Guess we will see tomorrow, since it said three days.
Those aren't conflicting statements. Saying it was possible back when it launched in early February doesn't necessarily conflict with him saying it won't happen now in late August. A lot can happen in a company over almost seven months.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:03 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 235 Posts

turboDog,

Yes, he did ask me to not mention anything about the special project they have been working on, and that an official announcement was coming soon. So I will not say anything about that, although many in the Motorsport world do already know more info than I have.

And, yes, everyone who enters Weissach from the janitor, to the suppliers, to visiting dignitaries all sign a non disclosure document.

It was really cool meeting him and if he says to me don't say anything about x, I will not.

Originally Posted by TurboDogue
Exactly! on the list at my dealer. And for the RS, I dont buy it, i bet 2018/19 sees one....along with a price increase for the GT3. At 130 for a GT3 base, with a turbo base of $150, there's plenty of room to raise the GT3 price and create a spot for an RS version of Cayman...Does anyone really think AP would come out and just admit this in the wake of pent up GT4 demand and a likely second run of this car? Porsche is always cagey IMO.

Propos to Matt, great car. But can I ask why you dont just post what you claim is going to happen in 3 days? Not like you work for PCNA. Just curious, you are hinting, but not telling? Did you sign a NDA? LOL
Old 08-31-2015, 12:08 PM
asamhall
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
turboDog,

Yes, he did ask me to not mention anything about the special project they have been working on, and that an official announcement was coming soon. So I will not say anything about that, although many in the Motorsport world do already know more info than I have.

And, yes, everyone who enters Weissach from the janitor, to the suppliers, to visiting dignitaries all sign a non disclosure document.

It was really cool meeting him and if he says to me don't say anything about x, I will not.

The one question I have is that special project related to the official announcement to come this week or is it different? Thanks enjoy the rest of your trip and thanks for sharing what you could.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:20 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 93 Posts

Very cool, OP! Definitely happy for your experience!

I am also on the "pending" list for a GT4RS, but I'm really not that bummed one way or the other if it comes or doesn't come.

Do y'all realize how much we were all drooling over the GT4 and now we all want the RS version. haha, like the GT4 is already old news. I just got mine a week and a half ago. I'm still loving it!

Now the PDK is interesting. I love rowing gears, but a PDK would be pretty cool and I'd consider it since I already have a manual Vette that I'm keeping.

Maybe, I need to switch my GT4RS list spot over to the PDK GT4 list.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:44 PM
mm1
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

turboDog,

Ah man, you're killing me. I already had to have the conversation with my wife: "so tomorrow there is something being announced, if I'm number one (as I am again), and I sell my GT4 is it cool if I upgrade" (are you F-ing kidding me look back) But, wait wait wait (she's already left room), "this one you'll be able to drive". (she doesn't drive manual). Silence....

Originally Posted by Quikag
Do y'all realize how much we were all drooling over the GT4 and now we all want the RS version. haha, like the GT4 is already old news. I just got mine a week and a half ago. I'm still loving it!
How greedy am I that I want a GT4RS, but yeah, still drooling over my GT4 and loving every minute of it.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:26 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 632 Posts

Originally Posted by mm1
Ah man, you're killing me. .... if I'm number one (as I am again)
Very interesting thread - thanks for sharing.

As for being on the RS list - #1 slot can be deceiving. I'm #1 at a dealer that would almost certainly get at least 2 - BUT - I assume I'm #1 AFTER the "VIP" customers suck up whatever allocation they want. I suspect our situation is similar. #1 - but is it REALLY #1?

The VIP folks that have first right of refusal on any "special" car for the next 10 years have a license to print money - and it's what will happen with a lot of the cars that are flipped. If I was a VIP I would absolutely buy the GT4RS because if demand is anything like for the GT4, AND they make fewer (a certainty) - how could you NOT get one even if it's only to resell once the required time period expires?

It'll be interesting to see what is announced, and what happens down the road.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:58 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
how could you NOT get one even if it's only to resell once the required time period expires?
There is no resale time period except for 6 months on the initial 918 purchase.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:34 PM
mm1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Very interesting thread - thanks for sharing.

As for being on the RS list - #1 slot can be deceiving. I'm #1 at a dealer that would almost certainly get at least 2 - BUT - I assume I'm #1 AFTER the "VIP" customers suck up whatever allocation they want. I suspect our situation is similar. #1 - but is it REALLY #1?
Ah yes, forgot about those guys... Probably safe to say I should stay happy with a "regular" GT4 as I don't see RS's passed on in the VIP program.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:31 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 235 Posts

I spent the day today at the Nurburgring. Let me tell you, the "regular" GT4 is the most coveted track toy out here. Only thing faster would be a PDK equipped GT4. But let me be clear - in manual it is quicker than most GT3s and other very powerful track cars.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:35 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 88 Posts

I spent the day today at the Nurburgring. Let me tell you, the "regular" GT4 is the most coveted track toy out here. Only thing faster would be a PDK equipped GT4. But let me be clear - in manual it is quicker than most GT3s and other very powerful track cars.
Good to know!

Old 08-31-2015, 03:41 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

But let me be clear - in manual it is quicker than most GT3s and other very powerful track cars.
Doesn't this depend completely on the driver...both skill, knowledge of track and willingness to risk life and car?

I think Chris Lee said it well here:

"Ok, here are my impressions. The car looks stunning from every angle except the front. The deeper front lip may be just that, but it does not have the presence of the GT3 nose. Side profile is especially beautiful. The wing and ducktail are great, and black uprights are a must, so much so that Porsche has nixed silver uprights. The GT4 feels lighter and more nimble than the GT3, but lacks the ultimate grip of it's big brother. It drives similar to the previous Cayman R with great stability, making the driver feel very confident and safe, almost unflappable. Granted I only drove the GT4 about 8.5/10ths as it's not my car and it had 700 miles on it. Felt very tossable and planted. Brakes are same as GT3, so up to to the task. Not as good as our GT3 setup of Ferodo's and AP rotors, but typical awesome Porsche brakes. The gearing is my biggest complaint. Way too long. You could drive T-hill with two, gears, 2-3 if you are slower and 3-4 is you are quick enough. I drove the GT3 immediately after and there is no doubt the GT3 is the faster car. The 100 hp is a huge difference. Personally, you can't go wrong with either. This is a case of you get what you pay for, I believe engineered that way by Porsche."

GT4 on track with Chris driving his GT3 here:
Old 08-31-2015, 03:41 PM
mm1
Rennlist Member

I can believe that. One quick clarification, do you mean it's faster for most drivers (easier to drive fast) or just a faster car overall. I also assume you're saying 997 GT3s, not 991.

And trust me, my "regular" GT4 is awesome to me.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:47 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by mm1
I can believe that. One quick clarification, do you mean it's faster for most drivers (easier to drive fast) or just a faster car overall. I also assume you're saying 997 GT3s, not 991.

And trust me, my "regular" GT4 is awesome to me.
given the power to weight ratio of a 997.1 GT3 compared to the power to weight ratio of a GT4, it is a close match IMO. Depends on the driver.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:00 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

Isn't this "special car" the 911R or 911 GT that some publications were hinting about a few weeks ago? A "pure" narrow body 911 with a detuned GT3 engine, a manual transmission, and thinner tires?

Quick Reply: Met with Andreas Prueninger in Weissach