Sponsored by: APR

Met with Andreas Prueninger in Weissach

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 10:14 PM
2slow2speed
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by PCA1983
The important thing to remember from all this is the GT4 is still under development and won't begin to reach its potential for a few years yet. Just wait till Porsche engineers squeeze even more from that ordinary Carerra 3.8L NA F6. There will be plenty of suspension tweaks and some weight reduction too. Engineers love to tweak a product like the GT4, and the new Porsche mgmt won't deny their engineers any longer.
^+1
Old 09-10-2015, 01:13 AM
Type901
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenner
You mean Matt "told" Planet 9...like Matt or Planet 9 is anything "official" in the first place...
Very true. Let's hope that we get the official word at Rennsport Reunion on future transmissions, NA engines, and the number of total allocations for the current generation GT4.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:52 AM
superchargedman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenner
You mean Matt "told" Planet 9...like Matt or Planet 9 is anything "official" in the first place...

http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-g...eissach-4.html

At least K-man the owner of Planet 9 locked the thread and turned the text in the original post to blacked out "spoiler" setting, but it was too late, the rumor had already become "news"
Jenner, where did you get your profile photo? That's gotta be my wallpaper asnap.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:24 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by superchargedman
Jenner, where did you get your profile photo? That's gotta be my wallpaper asnap.
I made these myself in photoshop from the yellow press photos:

Enjoy! (make sure you open in full resolution before saving)

Old 09-10-2015, 04:26 PM
rave426
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Christ...

I think I've been overly slow this past week. I'm not sure if this was mentioned in the thread, but of course there wont be a GT4RS. The RS name seems to have been held for the 911s....but OP's conversation with AP didn't mention anything about Porsche not offering a more focused GT4.. Why else would AP say he doesnt think "the RS letters" would look good on the Cayman. Its a well thought out labyrinth sort of response to a direct question.

Why else would Porsche offer a GT4 cup with a PDK? If its a true cup car they'd probably give it a true racing transmission......unless they were planning on offering a road version as well.

I may be way off here, but I dont think so. I think we'll see a GT4RS.......but it wont be called the GT4RS.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:41 PM
superchargedman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2015, 10:04 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by rave426
Christ...

Why else would Porsche offer a GT4 cup with a PDK? If its a true cup car they'd probably give it a true racing transmission......unless they were planning on offering a road version as well.

I may be way off here, but I dont think so. I think we'll see a GT4RS.......but it wont be called the GT4RS.
Porsche pulled all the parts out of the spare parts bin that they could muster for the GT4.
The GT4 is as focused as it gets in Porsche's mind IMO.
They will most likely bang out a PDK option at some point before it is all over.
Turbo engines are next on the agenda for the Caymans...

The Cayman Cup will be the only new variation to GT4 product line...

What will be interesting is to see what will become of the GT4 race series and if it will evolve. If it evolves, then one would assume the GT4 model to continue on the next generation of cayman bodies and engines.

I cant see the GT4 street car and GT4 cup car being limited to 2015-2016 and then ending the name.... Surely it will become a model of the future?
Old 09-11-2015, 02:10 AM
KingSize.Hamster
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 49 Posts

The GT4 will not end with nothing else to follow. But again, it's just gonna be like any other GT-car out there. The production will be somewhat limited to a lower volume and tend to come out towards second half or at the tail end of the production mini-cycle. So expect a 981.2 GT4 in 2018/2019 when the current 981.1 GT4 to finish as 2015/2016 model.

Sure the PDK could come in 981.2, but my personal view is don't count on having PDK on the 981.1 GT4. I think it's quite clear that the Motorsport department has a lot more going on than just sorting out this one GT4 car. They need to deal with 991.2 GT3, probably this new "911 GT" car that's been rumored, the 991.2 GT3 RS, cup car variants, and even 981.2 GT4 down the road. The GT4 took almost 2 years to develop although it was mostly a parts bin exercise, and I don't think adding a PDK is something that could happen over a few months and then put into production. There are internal political hurdles, marketing considerations and financial implications involved.

There is really no need to keep the 981.1 GT4 running while Porsche AG is selling the 981.2 regular Caymans on the dealer lots in March 2016. Keep in mind, the GT4 cars are great, but it's not a car that everyone under the sun wants. Not everyone's happy to dish out 100K USD on a Cayman. The last thing Porsche AG wants is to have oversupply of GT-badged cars to dilute the brand. There is really no urgency to keep very possible person out there who claims he/she wants a GT4 to get an allocation. Out of every 10 people who are saying they want a GT4 today, probably only 5 or 6 are real demand. 2 probably are just looking for a quick flip, and ther other 2 are probably just talking with no action. So what Porsche AG seems to be doing is to produce 5 cars, so there is JUST a small under-supply of these cars to keep the ball rolling. If everyone who says he wants to get a GT4 today and actually gets it, the hype for the next one ... and any subsequent ones will not be there. That's a terrible situation to be in from a branding and business standpoint.

Some of the buyers are into Porsche not because of the quirky designs of these cars, but rather relative value. The idea of having a strong second hand market actually matters to them. If PAG is able to supply 8 to 10 cars (relative to the example I listed above), then I would assure that resale value would go down by a fair amount. Talk to more people, and you'll notice quite a few would express that they see GT-badged cars are good relative value as a new car and have good resale value as evident from existing GT cars. If today 997.1 GT3s are worth only 35K, I don't think the hype for GT4 would be anywhere close to what we have today.

I'm expecting this 981.1 GT4 program has already come to an end from PAG's side. The R&D is done, and just a matter of executing the remaining outstanding vehicles. Perhaps some allocations have not been allotted, but don't expect PAG to magically continuously run this thing for 3 years till 981.2 GT4 comes. And again, there is a lot more to do from the Motorsport side than to worry about meeting every single demand and request that's out there.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:54 AM
Ochocoronas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love reading post in the morning that were posted in the wee hours of the night.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:37 AM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Matt,

Not sure if you saw this post on Pistonheads today concerning this Rennlist thread:

"Having spoken to Andreas Preuninger this morning; this is his official position on a PDK version GT4 and requested I share with the Internet:

"I am afraid the current GT4 with PDK story is complete nonsense, I never said this to anybody. I generally state that we monitor the market Situation before we plan new models and that future generation GT cars could offer the choice of either manual or PDK, but thats years from today and not decided yet. I have no problem if you share that Information."

"

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...%2E&mid=302309
Old 09-11-2015, 10:11 AM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 93 Posts

haha. If you think about it, why would Porsche waste a penny engineering the PDK into the GT4 when they are selling every single GT4 they can make and then some with the plain jane manual? It makes perfect sense to leave this gen alone, keep it pure and distilled the way it is, and then do something else down the road with possibly more variations and higher volume.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:23 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 139 Posts

Can't say I'm not happy to hear that my gt4 will remain "last of breed" for at least a few years..
Old 09-11-2015, 11:02 AM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 87 Posts

I thought for sure it would get PDK for 2017. Guess not!
Old 09-11-2015, 11:25 AM
zmon
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 78 Posts

The cup is also going to be 6MT
Old 09-11-2015, 12:39 PM
user1029
Drifting

Received 558 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikag
keep it pure and distilled the way it is.
cheers to that

Quick Reply: Met with Andreas Prueninger in Weissach