Sponsored by: APR

Gt4 arrived to Brunswick today.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 08:56 AM
NOPDK
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Great looking car. What are you doing to your fan to keep it looking super. On my '72 many years ago I polished it. I've had my '83 SC fan media blasted and it looked great for a time but there is so much dust in the Texas air that now the edges look almost pitted. Suggestions

Fan was refinished 3k miles ago with engine rebuild. Likely mine is still in the "it looked great for a time" window. Hope coating lasts but only time will tell.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:58 AM
NOPDK
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike J
Porsche uses vacuum controlled exhaust butterfly valves to turn on/off the sport mode sound in the exhaust. If the valve is closed, the short path is blocked and the exhaust runs through more chambers in the muffler, making it quieter.

For some reason, the default mode on the ones that I have services/seen is open - which means when the engine is first started, and has no vacuum reserve (say cold start in the morning) there is a brief instant where the car is running and not enough vacuum has been generated and/or the valves are not that quick, and you get a bit of a louder exhaust before the valves close and it goes quiet again. That might be what you are hearing, not sure.

If the car is restarted when warm, there is a vacuum reservoir that will allow the valves to close quicker.

Cheers,

Mike

It does snarl on first cold start.. Sounds wicked.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:50 PM
NOPDK
Rennlist Member

Default Few morning picts

Commute was very nice today
Attached Images      
Old 07-28-2015, 01:54 PM
NOPDK
Rennlist Member

The other two cars that came into dealer with my car are both VIP 918 cars. Both people also have RS's on order. I bet we see a bunch of low milage GT4's hit the used market as soon as the RS's start coming in. I can see the 918 folks using the car for a short time and then making garage space for their RS. Unfortunately, most will likely go back to dealer for them to sell at marked up highest bidder takes the car pricing. Hope that doesn't happen but I think that is the scenario Porsche created.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:12 PM
number 9
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went back to Champion this morning and they still have the low spec white one which was good cause I wanted to take a closer look at the silver uprights. I'll post pics later tonight so everyone can go nuts over silver wing uprights... I will def be looking forward to a better looking setup in aftermarket.

If you were to nitpick anything about your car, what would it be? Anything you wish you got or didn't get? Add back the LWBs that got yanked obviously, but anything else?

I noticed Dunlops on that one and you got MPSCs, that would make me happy. The regular seats are not so regular. I don't know if the GTS has the same alcantera option but these look outstanding actually.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:28 PM
NOPDK
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by number 9
I went back to Champion this morning and they still have the low spec white one which was good cause I wanted to take a closer look at the silver uprights. I'll post pics later tonight so everyone can go nuts over silver wing uprights... I will def be looking forward to a better looking setup in aftermarket.

If you were to nitpick anything about your car, what would it be? Anything you wish you got or didn't get? Add back the LWBs that got yanked obviously, but anything else?

I noticed Dunlops on that one and you got MPSCs, that would make me happy. The regular seats are not so regular. I don't know if the GTS has the same alcantera option but these look outstanding actually.

Good question. After 24 hours I'm happy with my spec and wouldn't change anything. I did a fairly high spec car and it feels special because of it.

Transmission still blows me away.

Carmine. Wouldn't take any paint to sample color over it.

Yellow stitch. Yep, that rocks

PCCB's. Ask me after a year once I see how they stand up to track use. I'm hoping that a rotor spec'ed to stop the 3700 lb 918 with MUCH more power and handle the regen will be a long service item in a 2900 lb car with more modest power. Time will tell. The certainly look awesome.

Stereo sounds meh at best after the Burmeister in my 991 S. But the rev matched down shifts sound better than the Burmeister.

Stitched steering column with the money.

I did the silly shift **** upgrade with the aluminum. Feels good in hand. Worth the upgrade money? not sure. The shape of the shifter is perfect in hand either way.

CF trim. Like it.

Satin black wheel. Love the finish. Someone posted a while ago that they looked cheep and plastic like. Don't agree.

Did some other options that all work just fine.

Happy I ended up with michelin's. The higher wear rating and better wet performance is important to me. Additionally the Dunlops somehow change the look of the car. Something is different with their sidewall profile that doesn't look as aggressive. If you get stuck with Dunlops, just wear them out and put on some Sport cups for the next set. Problem solved.

I'm even cool with having the base seats as they are even more comfortable than the 18 way sport seats in my 991S. Not sure if it is the alcantara but they feel great. I always felt like I couldn't get the 18 ways in the right position as there were so many adjustments. The lumbar was never right but in the base seats it's in the right spot. The side bolsters never felt that supportive even when blown up but these feel higher and better placed. My friend has a GT3 with the LWB and I drove the car 2.5 hours back from the Daytona 24 race. The LWB's fit me well and felt good even after a 2.5 hours of seat time. They feel like they are pushing you too forward for street use but they are so damn cool looking that you can forgive that. I happily would have taken the buckets if porsche didn't pull them from my build. But both the look and comfort of the base seats is just fine. I'm consoling myself in the perk that they are much easier to get in and out of and this is now my daily driver. Additionally they are not that much heavier and do look great with the yellow stitching. I do track a significant amount of time and I'm looking forward to seeing if my current seats hold me better on track than my previous 18 ways. I guess the message is that if you couldn't get the LWB's you will still love the car.

The good news is that this is such a special car that even fully stripped it will drive wonderfully and from behind the wheel you won't care. If you ponied up for the options it will make the car that much more special.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:33 AM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 44 Posts

NOPDK - I love reading your updated daily musings.

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying we're all living vicariously through your descriptions.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:18 AM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nopdk, thoughts on the pedals? Can you walk through a wet driveway and get in and drive away and give impressions? I thought the were smoother and easier to modulate when I tested but am curious if you feel they are simply cosmetic. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:37 AM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 72 Posts

Congrats NOPDK. Car looks great. Love the red. Yellow inside is bold .

Any feed back on PCCB pedal feel? Especially for light braking. That is one thing I don't like about them on my 7.2 GT3.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:25 AM
NOPDK
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by switchface
NOPDK - I love reading your updated daily musings.

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying we're all living vicariously through your descriptions.

Thanks! I wasn't sure if anybody was listening.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:28 AM
NOPDK
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Congrats NOPDK. Car looks great. Love the red. Yellow inside is bold .

Any feed back on PCCB pedal feel? Especially for light braking. That is one thing I don't like about them on my 7.2 GT3.

With only 100 miles on car the beast that I can do is that they feel fine and don't stand out. Feel is good at low speeds actually. It's my understanding they take longer to bed than normal steels so I haven't really gotten on them yet. My dealer told me 500 miles. I was coming from Pagid yellows 29's in my 991s so will have a good comparison once I do some real braking. Will report back.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:35 AM
NOPDK
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by katmeho
Nopdk, thoughts on the pedals? Can you walk through a wet driveway and get in and drive away and give impressions? I thought the were smoother and easier to modulate when I tested but am curious if you feel they are simply cosmetic. Thanks.

I looked at them as a cosmetic upgrade. I've put custom drilled pedals on all of my previous cars so I like the feel of aluminum pedals. These OEM ones have textured areas and feel plenty grippy on my sneakers. haven't had a real wet entry yet but being this is Florida I'm sure one will happen any day. I'll report back but I expect they will perform just fine. the other nice thing is with standard black pedals the footwell is a black void. With the aluminum pedals you can see them and it jazzes up the footwell giving it some depth rather than just a void. I'd prefer if they were drilled as I like that look.

I put these mats in last night to go with my yellow trim. This also keeps the footwell from just being a void. They didn't have rights to use "GT4" so I had to do "PORSCHE".

I think the mats look great and the quality is vastly nicer than OEM.
Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2015, 03:03 PM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Great looking hotrod! Fantastic to have the GT4 as a compliment to that car. Looking at your interior I am reminded of the mistake I made in not ordering the leather covered steering wheel column. That feature really looks sharp, nicely done.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:40 PM
NOPDK
Rennlist Member

Radar detector install after work. Going to hardwire Val 1 into OBD port with savvy module and right angle adaptor so it clears the cover. Will put main unit under the aluminum bar behind the seats. Should have good line of sight. Accessory module on steering column or may put up at base of drivers A pillar. With some trim tools should be able to get all of the wiring to tuck out of sight.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:13 PM
JohanS430
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NOPDK
Radar detector install after work. Going to hardwire Val 1 into OBD port with savvy module and right angle adaptor so it clears the cover. Will put main unit under the aluminum bar behind the seats. Should have good line of sight. Accessory module on steering column or may put up at base of drivers A pillar. With some trim tools should be able to get all of the wiring to tuck out of sight.
Thanks for all of the pictures and reviews. I know you mentioned you weren't sure if anyone was listening- I was doing my best not to respond to each and every post and picture out of stupid excitement.

Anyway, I am looking forward to a few pics on the V1 install. I am curious about where you ended up mounting the remote display and how the main unit was mounted.

Quick Reply: Gt4 arrived to Brunswick today.