Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT4 - Unlocking the Power Potential!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 01:13 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 985 Likes on 366 Posts

Can't wait John; can't wait! Judging by how many of my friends are getting GT4's, this is going to be THE hot track car for the next couple of years. It's a good thing given how many 997 GT3's are being bubble wrapped
Old 02-11-2016, 10:21 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Can't wait John; can't wait! Judging by how many of my friends are getting GT4's, this is going to be THE hot track car for the next couple of years. It's a good thing given how many 997 GT3's are being bubble wrapped
I just wanted to chime in again to cover up the sound of crickets; I'm still waiting on motor parts. 65% of me is very excited about this build and to get it completed while my excessive impatience makes 35% of me wish that I had just done the Stage 1 bolt-ons in the form of the flash, upgraded throttle body, plenum, filters, Cargraphic headers and the lightweight flywheel and sprung hub clutch disc. All of these bits will be added to what the iteration will be upon completion but my inability to wait has me drooling over what it would be like to be out ripping around in this car with 415 - 430 crank hp BEFORE interpolated flywheel HP/TQ gains. Some of you guys have purchased some of these mods partially but when you own them in entirety, it will be rather awesome. Obviously if you see yourself wanting X51 parts or a 3.99L stroker conversion you are patiently waiting for me to be done but if you think you're a bolt-on guy looking for rather robust power and torque gains, the Stage 1 kit with the added flywheel is the way to go. Mufflers will free up another 10 HP at the crank and these aren't even included in the power estimates. With the revised ECU offerings now available from tuning companies, the Stage 1 package cost without mufflers is $7179.50, excluding labor, sales tax and shipping. That's a nice bump in power and torque for the money for the GT4!
Old 02-11-2016, 10:51 AM
sdillon
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 50 Posts

I think I just heard the sound of my warranty ripping and falling to the floor. Cannot... resist...
Old 02-11-2016, 05:23 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by sdillon
I think I just heard the sound of my warranty ripping and falling to the floor. Cannot... resist...
Here's the thing...not one single item I've mentioned is irreversible. Yes there is labor to be paid by installing something only to have to remove it but if you have a problem caused by something else unrelated to this and you need it removed, you can go back to stock.

P.S. I think you sent me a PM about the daily driving nature of the flywheel and it behaves just like stock as far as release point and requires pedal input. It is by no means an on/off switch type setup that will drive you insane as other kits may have in the past.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:17 PM
realdrray
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i was wondering if anyone has done the stage 1 mods in a step wise fashion as in doing one mod at a time? i was debating on doing the plenum and throttle body first. any thoughts on whether or not this is possible and if i would see any benefits, do i need a tune to run the plenum and tb? eventually i plan on getting the bgb/cargraphic long tube race manifolds and tune.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:42 PM
mrwilson
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cannot imagine having more than the 420hp and 300tq than I currently have in my BGB 3.8 Cayman. I have enough trouble keeping the tires from spinning as it is. The last thing I need is more power (can't believe I just said that).
Old 02-12-2016, 12:42 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by realdrray
i was wondering if anyone has done the stage 1 mods in a step wise fashion as in doing one mod at a time? i was debating on doing the plenum and throttle body first. any thoughts on whether or not this is possible and if i would see any benefits, do i need a tune to run the plenum and tb? eventually i plan on getting the bgb/cargraphic long tube race manifolds and tune.
There are many experts on this forum who may have lots of ideas.. mine is just second hand knowledge from everyone I've talked to. But, if you have to do it one piece at a time, it goes something like this:
1. start with the headers.. no ECU change needed. you can initially get just headers and use the standard PSE exhaust which opens up the exhaust signficantly when you press the button... mimics an aftermarket open exhaust. you are assured of no drone, and you get midrange torque which the car needs. I thought my car sounded good, but with headers it's an animal. and the seat of the pants imaginary dyno tells me that I have more torque (cause I saw it on a graph somewhere so I believe I can feel it).. the sound change is enough to make me happy.
2. do the intake plenum and TB.. i don't know if this forces you to do the ECU at that point or not.. but you have to get it breathing right on the intake as well.
3. ECU and exhaust.. i put exhaust last because many people end up changing exhausts multiple times trying to find their perfect one.. and the porsche one is just so good on this car, that I almost don't see a reason to install one in the first place.
4. flywheel... will affect drivability to some extent on the street.. just don't go full lightweight with this.

As far as warranty.. after to talking to the shop manager who also races at my local dealer, he explained that basically now porsche has so many lines of code in the algorithm, that they can tell when anything has been changed. but the dealer will help you out as long as you are open about the mods you did so they know what to look for. you're probably ok with intake and exhaust mods as you shouldn't get catastrophic damage to this engine, and they are easily removable... all they take is time. Once you go the flywheel route you're really into racer territory and you and your budget are probably immune to most costs.

my car just has headers and it's a joy compared to stock.. and even stock was already amazing. I want to see a few others do the intake side before i commit.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:51 AM
cox1974
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

i would like to tune my ecu... this could be the perfect match (for my taste) with my already installed sport headers and bmc air filters.... but with the ecu tuned i'would be too worried to lose my warranty.....:surr
Old 02-12-2016, 08:32 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Once you go the flywheel route you're really into racer territory and you and your budget are probably immune to most costs.
Here is a data point. My 996 street GT3 had a RMS leak. When the dealer had it open to repair they installed the 964 lightweight flywheel I sourced upon reassembly. Porsche paid the labor and I paid for the new parts. All warranty work for the RMS leak.

First time I had the car on the track after the change I could not believe how much faster I got from corner to corner at the Glen. Then I acclimated myself to the change and did not feel it again. Took about a day.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:07 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,452 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by cox1974
i would like to tune my ecu... this could be the perfect match (for my taste) with my already installed sport headers and bmc air filters.... but with the ecu tuned i'would be too worried to lose my warranty.....:surr
Can some one tell me more about the bmc air filters. Are they plug and play? What are their advantages over stock?? Where would you get them and any prep work necessary for the filters?
Old 02-12-2016, 01:57 PM
AJ3310
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
my car just has headers and it's a joy compared to stock.. and even stock was already amazing. I want to see a few others do the intake side before i commit.
Are your headers catless? If so, any CEL?
Old 02-12-2016, 02:00 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ3310
If I remember his earlier post, no, they're not catless.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:01 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ3310
In the GT4 the headers are separate from the cat. You can just unbolt the headers from the cat/engine and swap'em out. So no,his car is not catless.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:06 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Can some one tell me more about the bmc air filters. Are they plug and play? What are their advantages over stock?? Where would you get them and any prep work necessary for the filters?
Filters don't do squat Jimmy,trust me on that! 3-5 HP from filters is a pipe dream. One needs to run the car on the dyno with stock filters and then with aftermarket filters. I bet that you'll probably lose 1-2 HP with aftermarket,or stay the same.
The only time better flowing filters are effective is when combined with ways of getting more air into the engine,while making the computer aware of the extra air so it can adjust fuel.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:20 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,452 Likes on 756 Posts

^Thanks. - This is why I love these forums - most times I spend money but today you saved me money

Quick Reply: GT4 - Unlocking the Power Potential!