Sponsored by: APR

GT4 - Unlocking the Power Potential!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 08:17 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
The sprung hub setup worked well on the last 981 track car we did and I will look to back it up again with my car.

No drawbacks; my plan is to use a sprung hub clutch disc on the car to be sure we don't have any annoying chatter from the trans. Other than that, it's free power and torque.
Thanks
Old 01-28-2016, 08:57 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 133 Likes on 72 Posts

For 997 GT3, Porsche warned against switching to a lightweight single mass flywheel - something to do with harmonics backing out bolts. Lot of people did this switch and had blown engines and Porsche refused to cover it under warranty. Check these threads - https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-flywheel.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...cking-out.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-on-gt3-s.html

Any such issues on GT4?
Old 01-28-2016, 09:03 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 602 Likes on 269 Posts

Just to reiterate, we try not to sell anything we haven't run on a race car in an endurance setting. Nothing in the GT4 architecture is foreign to our history on track. From our pulleys to our flywheels to the Guard LSDs, it's all been run well in excess of anything you have intended for it. The crank conversion will get the same abuse from my daily driving and going on track.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:38 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I figured I would just update you guys because it's been a week now; I'm waiting on bearings from Porsche that had to come out of Germany.

I walk by my motor every day with the same reaction I had when I pulled the engine off my parents' leaf blower and bolted it to a cracked go kart chassis i found. Do they make an emoji that conveys a feeling of "WTF did I just do?!"
Old 02-03-2016, 09:30 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I figured I would just update you guys because it's been a week now; I'm waiting on bearings from Porsche that had to come out of Germany.

I walk by my motor every day with the same reaction I had when I pulled the engine off my parents' leaf blower and bolted it to a cracked go kart chassis i found. Do they make an emoji that conveys a feeling of "WTF did I just do?!"
Hmmm. The kid who puts the leaf blower motor on a go kart grows up to be a hot rodder in Porsches. Can't imagine how that happened!!
Old 02-03-2016, 09:36 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
Hmmm. The kid who puts the leaf blower motor on a go kart grows up to be a hot rodder in Porsches. Can't imagine how that happened!!
Beantown, I never even thought about that correlation. I had never driven a go kart at the time and when I asked what size motor goes on the back, everyone said 2.5HP. Across the garage was our leaf blower that had the 3.8L...I mean 5.0HP motor. Just as you say, the rest is history.

Photo attached in case anyone cares to see what happens when someone insane is let loose with knowledgeable employees and hand tools.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:50 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^ So cool that you are doing this. Hands down favorite thread on this forum. Can't wait to see the outcome. I can already feel the ground rumbling.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:50 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Beantown, I never even thought about that correlation. I had never driven a go kart at the time and when I asked what size motor goes on the back, everyone said 2.5HP. Across the garage was our leaf blower that had the 3.8L...I mean 5.0HP motor. Just as you say, the rest is history. Photo attached in case anyone cares to see what happens when someone insane is let loose with knowledgeable employees and hand tools.
Is that the engine that came out of the GT4? If yes,it can't have more than a few hundred miles... Why are those piston heads so carboned up?
Old 02-03-2016, 09:58 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by neanicu
Is that the engine that came out of the GT4? If yes,it can't have more than a few hundred miles... Why are those piston heads so carboned up?
agreed. 2200 miles; 1300 highway, 500 track and the rest street driving!
Old 02-03-2016, 10:24 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Any carbon buildup around the intake valves?
I'm afraid to look at what's going on in my Direct Injected Audi V10 at 105K.

Last edited by d00d; 06-25-2021 at 07:09 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:31 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Unfortunately my fears are coming true again : DFI=problems. Oh boy! Disappointed about this one! I had better hopes with Porsche DFI because of the angle the injector is spraying,but it looks like that's not the case. The only solution is on demand port injection in addition to direct injection.
Did I tell you how much I hate DFI engines again?!
Old 02-04-2016, 12:47 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,004 Likes on 376 Posts

Any interesting finds while disassembling the engine? I'm guessing you and DeMann are the first ones to see the insides first hand
Old 02-04-2016, 03:25 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Any interesting finds while disassembling the engine? I'm guessing you and DeMann are the first ones to see the insides first hand
I think they are working together on this stuff ?
Boy that is a lot of carbon build up !!
Old 02-04-2016, 06:21 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ChrisF
I know what you guys are seeing looks scary but it's not anything that should be cause for concern. They look like the top of every other DFI piston I've seen come from a motor that has been run. I haven't seen anything that is enough to spook me. If it was still 2009 I would say we were the only ones to have been inside these things but at this point a lot of people have been inside here. The 997.2 turbo motor is based on the 9A1 DFI motor so there are now several folks who have been inside these motors.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:27 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

I know what you guys are seeing looks scary but it's not anything that should be cause for concern. They look like the top of every other DFI piston I've seen come from a motor that has been run. I haven't seen anything that is enough to spook me. If it was still 2009 I would say we were the only ones to have been inside these things but at this point a lot of people have been inside here. The 997.2 turbo motor is based on the 9A1 DFI motor so there are now several folks who have been inside these motors.
I wish I'd be less concerned about this... Is there any chance you have a pic with the valves?
Thank you.

Quick Reply: GT4 - Unlocking the Power Potential!